Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you chop with your teeth? I guess it could use those things on the side of its head but that seems rather awkward. I have a feeling it uses its hand/claws to do a chop/slash attack. Fighting/Dragon could be broken because it isn't resisted by any existing Pokemon and would only be resisted by a Ghost/Steel Pokemon, if they decide to make one.
Fighting/dragon wouldn't be broken, it would just force Salamence to use FREE FALL which would make it more predictable!!

I mean like, it's biting, except they used another word besides "Bite" or "Fang" or whatever. I guess it's a reach, but really my point is it's not supposed to be a karate chop or something since it's a Dragon-type attack and something like that would clearly be fighting (looking at you Mega Punch and Kick), and I'm sure it has something to do with its teeth if it was introduced along with Kibago. The straight definition of the word "chop" doesn't really make it so it can't.
Are you thinking of the word chomp? That is actually a synonnym for bite while chop has absolutely nothing to do with biting. If it really is supposed to be Double Chomp, then it makes perfect sense for it to be a biting attack.

Edit: If the Dragon/Fighting Pokemon becomes the psuedo-legendary, it will most likely be broken. Dragon is already the most powerful STAB and Fighting hits all current Steel-types for atleast nuetral damage. When you have STAB on a type, you want to go with nuetral coverage. A +2 STAB Outrage and Close Combat from a good Atk stat would most likely be able to OHKO everything. If the Dragon/Fighting Pokemon would be more along the lines of Altaria, it probably would only be low OU to BL.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I have been reading things about the Isshu dex going to about 200 with mostly all new pokemon. Then when you get the national dex there would be alot of evolutions and Pre's of past pokemon and that it would be way more than in shinnoh

im hoping for this to be true and i got the feeling it may be seeing as how they seem to be including 2x the amount of nearly everything. ex,rivals, the amount of pokemon pre released before the game is released.
That was fake. We didn't get a word about it on Corocoro and it seems the pamphlet didn't say a thing either, so yeah.

Can somebody please tell me why nobody seems to understand that "Double Chomp" has been mistranslated >9000 times as "Double Chop"?
Because it's Dragon Chop. Sorry bro.

How about Terra Voltage and Turbo Blaze resulting in 100% Burn/Paralysis rates? Looking at the names it coeld be through, even tho it might be inbalanced...!

I understand that this may seem foolish or possibly naive and I am fully expecting to be trolled for this, but I genuinely believe that if we were to send say a Smogon-wide letter or petition to Gamefreak with our feelings about online battling contained within them, Gamefreak would listen to what we have to say.

In order to explain my reasoning, I have prepared a small argument:

1. Gamefreak have included an online battling facility within Pokemon Black and White.

2. In order to attract consumers to buy their product and use this service, Gamefreak will want to provide a battling system that people will want to use.

3. There are thousands upon thousands of competitive Pokemon battlers in the world, of which Smogon represents a significant proportion. (there must be a large number of competitive battlers as demonstrated by the success of VGC, multiply that by the proportions of VGC to non-VGC players on Smogon to give you some idea)

4. The majority of young children who will buy the Pokemon games because Pokemon are "cute" and "friendly" will probably not use an online battling service. Why? Either they are not interested, will lose quickly to experienced battlers and become discouraged or their parents will block their DSi's or 3DS's from connecting to Wi-fi. Black and White also seem to be marketed towards a slightly older demographic than previous Pokemon Games

5. Gamefreak will understand this, and therefore realise that their online battling service will cater for competitive battlers, not children.

6. It therefore follows that in order to either attract these battlers to buy either Black, White and/or the third version, as well as future Pokemon games, Gamefreak will want to provide a good competitively enjoyable battling service.

7. We do not currently know the extent of battling restrictions on this service, as limited details have been released, but it is safe to assume that some measure of control over used Pokemon will exist, either such as in the Battle Frontier or Local battle.

8. Since such a facility will already exist, it stands to reason that little effort will be required to alter this code or add new constraints, optional or otherwise.

9. Since new constraints can be added quickly, easily and most importantly cheaply, it stands to reason that if Gamefreak are offered a way to vastly improve their battling service (in order to attract more consumers) for little cost, then they should reasonably take it.

10. Therefore I believe that we Smogoners should offer Gamefreak this opportunity. All we need to do is provide Gamefreak regular usage statistics from either the Smogon server or use those from Gamefreaks battling service (this may be the sticking point, but there is no reason why Gamefreak should not simply cream off the top 50 as OU, which takes perhaps less than 1 minute to do). This would enable quick and easy implementation of tiers into the battling service.

11. Finally, in order to further improve the service, we Smogoners volunteer to suspect test Pokemon that we believe to be potentially broken (which we will be doing already) and send our opinions to Gamefreak.

12. Result! A better battling service!

I've just finished up reading triple battles up on serebii. So you are able to switch the pokemon position around at a cost of a move. Ok I got an example....

Say you got garchomp, scizor and x pokemon on your team, your garchomp is opposite a bulky water type, you obviously will predict a icebeam. As you have the ability to move pokemon around, what if you swapped scizor and garchomp around, would that mean scizor takes the icebeam instead?

Sorry if i've completely misunderstood the whole triple battle issue.

Alot of pokemon get Earthquake, I think nearly all of the starter's evovled forms gets it (I think except Meganium)

Anyway, I want more than 1 psuedo legend.
It would be great to kill people with broken pokemon for the first 10 minutes. And then after that people can ban it :)
I just hope that the banning will take a shorter time than banning Garchomp
I guarentee you that there will be one broken non-legend this time round
Users with Policy Review posting rights have been working on the Suspect testing process for quite a long time now and have worked out a lot of the kinks. If you read what's going on in that forum, you'll see what progress is being made in regards to that and other big issues in Smogon University.

Mario With Lasers

That was fake. We didn't get a word about it on Corocoro and it seems the pamphlet didn't say a thing either, so yeah.
Nevermind this, the summary was another separate issue that had nothing to do with this Isshu Dex thing, and apparently everything else talked along with it on 2ch has been confirmed true. It's possible this Isshu Dex thing is true but is in the pamphlet and that's why neither Pokébeach, Pokéjungle and Serebii got a word on it.

So it has nothing to do with attacking twice? I wish the people who translated these things would actually learn Japanese. It might end up being a varient of Cross Chop which would make it about as useful as Dragon Rush.
I suck, I got confused there. He said it's Double Chomp, but it's really Double Chop, and it's a Dragon-type move.

How about Terra Voltage and Turbo Blaze resulting in 100% Burn/Paralysis rates? Looking at the names it coeld be through, even tho it might be inbalanced...!
Unbalanced?

In my Ubers?

It's more likely than you think.

I've just finished up reading triple battles up on serebii. So you are able to switch the pokemon position around at a cost of a move. Ok I got an example....

Say you got garchomp, scizor and x pokemon on your team, your garchomp is opposite a bulky water type, you obviously will predict a icebeam. As you have the ability to move pokemon around, what if you swapped scizor and garchomp around, would that mean scizor takes the icebeam instead?

Sorry if i've completely misunderstood the whole triple battle issue.
Seems so. We still need full confirmation on triple's mechanics, but for now, I'd say you're getting it right.

Maybe Rivalry is for 1 & 2nd form and Mold Breaker is for the fully evolved stage??
Rivalry and Mold breaker look like they are both for the first form (it was stated it had two abilities) however i wouldnt be suprised if rivalry changed as he evolved as that happens with some poke's

I really like the whole idea with the competitive battling. I honestly believe that it should be done. All major sites like Smogon that deal with competitive battling could come together and convince GF to go along with it. Not only will most people being playing under the same tiers, when we have problems, we could all make group decisions about fixing it and then having GF approve them. GF could probably have more competitions since most people are familiar with the same rules.

I'd imagine that 5th gen will start with all non-legendaries and legendaries with BST below 600 allowed, and legendaries with 670+ BST are probably banned, unless they're like Regigigas. 600 BST generally get evaluated case-by-case. Mew, Darkrai, and Deoxys are likely to remain in Ubers, but the others are up for grabs, and any new 600 BSTs will have to be evalutated. Hopefully the OU list will be as inclusive as is reasonable.

Oh, it's possible Wobb and maybe even Wynaut will start out banned, but as we all know, they're kind of an exception to, well, everything.
I was hoping for some non-U-turn, widely distributed field move that prevents trapping your opponent.

Then again, that won't help all too much since the blue people can just switch in on something they presume doesn't have this special attack. So that's a killed strategy.

Erm, I've been browsing the new updates on Serebii and Filb... and Wooguru (or however the fuck it's spelled) looks like a bad-ass Normal/Flying type.

I think we should go to /b/ (or whoever made the story) and change shiny Pidgey to shiny Wooguru.

Hey I just thought of something - the Abilities Plus and Minus will be a lot better in tripple battles. Say you have one Pokemon with Plus and two with Minus: at the very least both of the Pokemon with Minus should get 50% boost in Special Defense. The interesting question is whether the two Minuses will stack, i.e., will the Pokemon will Plus get two 50% boosts in Special Attack. This would be more than a + 2 Boost, it would be a 2.25 boost (1.5 * 1.5 * Original Special Attack). Plusle with 663 Special Attack (605 if Timid) before LO or Specs sounds pretty dangerous. And if we're lucky Gear will evolve and keep those abilities, giving us a better Pokemon (or at least a greater variety of Pokemon) to execute this strategy.

Also I've been looking over some of the old Pre-release pictures and I'm starting to think Hihidaruma is NFE. On its own it looks pretty big and intimidating, but it's only like 4 ' 3 " tall! You'd think a big flaming gorilla would be at least 6 feet tall. Also it's pretty light, and in the triple battle picture where it appears with the mole and the Zebra, its Sprite is rather small (though this could just be because of the camera, but it's still about the same size as the two other NFEs).
I was hoping Gear's evo would be mono-Steel with Levitate, but Pokemon can't have three abilities (to our knowledge), and I most likely will be sad faec.

However, your strategy is killed by anything faster than Plusle/Minun that has Earthquake. Because unless Gear's evo has a bunch of Defense, most likely all three of your Pokemon will be killed with a fast EQ.

This has been on my mind for a few hours now.

Everybody knows who or what Wooguru is. Now its ability is Encourage which increases his attacks but stops secondary effects. Now the question is recharging for a move like Giga Impact thats a secondary effect isnt it?

This is the description for Giga Impact

The user charges at the foe using every bit of its power. The user must rest on the next turn.

Plus on Serebii they count the recharging for a secondary effect but Im not too sure that it is true because Serebii don't have everything right such as they don't have Flare Blitz able to burn.
I was trying to come up with a definition for what a secondary effect is, and this is what I came up with. Although, it's the opposite; the sentences shows what is not a secondary effect.

If you cannot prevent the effect(s) of the move happening, it is built in to the move and it not a secondary effect.

You cannot prevent the recharge turn for Giga Impact by any means, except via a Gen V Item or Ability, meaning that the recharge turn is not a secondary effect.

For something like confusion from Outrage, that is considered a secondary effect because you can stop it via Safeguard, or some status prevention move that isn't an Item or Ability.

Why we dislike the Sinnoh dex?

THREE Water/Ground types
THREE Water/Flying types
ONE Fire type (Not accounting the starter)
A LOT of completely useless stuff (Mothim, Pachirisu, etc etc)
A LOT of pokes that were too hard to count for the results they yield (Wormadam? Vespiquen? Please...)

That might help.
I don't dislike the Sinnoh Dex. :/

Add to your reasons that they made like 12 legends, the most in any generation. I don't know why people despise legends in a Dex (except Regigigas, he was just fucking filler), but the majority of people hated Gen IV for the random legends. Although most had a half-decent backstory. I know Darkrai did. :3

Mario With Lasers

Add to your reasons that they made like 12 legends, the most in any generation. I don't know why people despise legends in a Dex (except Regigigas, he was just fucking filler), but the majority of people hated Gen IV for the random legends. Although most had a half-decent backstory. I know Darkrai did. :3
Fourteen. One legendary trio (Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf), one mascot trio (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina), one couple (Cresselia, Darkrai), one event duo (Shaymin, Arceus), and then the "new" pokémon: the spin-off pokémon (Manaphy), the offspring (Phione), the legendary leader added one generation later (Regigigas), and the heyguysdontmindme (Heatran).

I believe B/W will have ten legendaries again, just like RSE.

Heatran is like the second-coolest legend in the bunch. No one minds him. =)

But yeah, I don't really care if BW tones down on the legends or not. I'll get shot for this, but I thought the DPPt legends were sort of creative.

Mario With Lasers

Heatran is like the second-coolest legend in the bunch. No one minds him. =)

But yeah, I don't really care if BW tones down on the legends or not. I'll get shot for this, but I thought the DPPt legends were sort of creative.
You know that "gwoboboo" bullshit Heatran says when you meet him? It actually means "hey guys don't mind me you took my Magma Stone but I don't care because I'm that awesome" in Klingon. True story.

And I liked all of DPPt's legends too. I just didn't like that they represented 13% of the new pokémon batch... specially in a generation where we had almost 30 evolutions and pre-evolutions of old pokémon.

Wow, apparently in the September issue of CoroCoro (Released August 11th lol, so we'll get it in less than a month) has a huge shitload of Pokemon and Info. Should be fun...

I like how we got a nice steady stream of info, all building up to CoroCoro showcasing everything. I hope it works the same next month... I hate when there is no new info for weeks :<...

So, Loli and Slimer are version specific to which games? I don't think I'll end up using either, so it doesn't bother me. And it's interesting how in White, Isshu looks much more natural, while in Black it looks futuristic. I wanted Black at first, but now that Zekrom is in White I guess I'll be getting White >_> I hope there are more changes...

Also the whole Dream Smoke thing is obviously so Nintendo doesn't get themselves in a situation like RSE where majority of Gen1 and Gen2 were unavailable.... So you needed RSE, FRLG, Colosseum, and XD to complete the Dex. :X What a pain in the ass that was... And luckily we can still transfer from DPPHGSS. BW are really turning out to be kinda awesome...

breh

強いだね
Fourteen. One legendary trio (Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf), one mascot trio (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina), one couple (Cresselia, Darkrai), one event duo (Shaymin, Arceus), and then the "new" pokémon: the spin-off pokémon (Manaphy), the offspring (Phione), the legendary leader added one generation later (Regigigas), and the heyguysdontmindme (Heatran).

I believe B/W will have ten legendaries again, just like RSE.

I lol'd

Has pokewalker support been confirmed to not be present in this game? I liked the little peripheral, but it seems musharna's dream smoke is replacing it. :(

Is anyone planning on importing it, or just gonna wait for the U.S. release? I know I'll be importing Black since i'm impatient as hell and I can read and kinda understand Japanese, especially since the standard in the game is hiragana/katakana. I'm gonna get White when it comes out in the U.S. and play it on my DSi, though, and play B&W to all of it's graphical glory.

Mario With Lasers

I'm getting confused with it now. Black has the natural Reshiram, but it's White, the one with the futuristic Zekrom, the more natural-looking version?

Does it mean both legendaries will appear on each version, but only one will battle with you, while the other one will only "influence" the Isshu region of that version ?_?

And there's also that scouter guy. He clearly isn't N (N's eyes are green while scouter guy's are red, and he has a square jaw while N's is thinner) and there's that Team Plasma rumor that's 99.6% confirmed by now, so I guess Team Plasma will go for one legendary and N for the other, and in the end we'll have a gigantic shitstorm to try to fix by ourselves?

is gamefreak stupid or what? 1 kid saving the damn world? what the fuck are the cops and special agents doing? looker was the only fucker that helped us so far.

breh

強いだね
I'm getting confused with it now. Black has the natural Reshiram, but it's White, the one with the futuristic Zekrom, the more natural-looking version?

Is anybody else curious as to how they're different? The only way I can think of having natural vs. futuristic is a different time in which the game is set... yay, timeline problems

is gamefreak stupid or what? 1 kid saving the damn world? what the fuck are the cops and special agents doing? looker was the only fucker that helped us so far.
The cops are far from capable to do this, as it is very difficult to defeat the resident evil team's level 30 zubats with a level 15 hoot-hoot...

Oh and what's up with the millenium puzzle (or rather rubik's cube) on N's waist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)