Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really understand either , I mean , I dont really care wether they are kept in the same order upon evolution , what I really care about is why the fck does it matter if it's Fire/Dark or Dark/Fire(Im not talking about evo's here)you get the double STAB anyway ~_~
This is the typical competitive player response, lol. A Pokemon's primary typing reflects its main characteristics and properties. When I see Gengar I think of a Ghost first, which is why its primary typing is Ghost (not because I personally think of a Ghost, but because Gamefreak had that design in mind). Flygon is primarily Ground, while Garchomp is primarily Dragon. These help create flavor, along with Pokedex entries and such.

OK, I didn't want to have to re-explain this, but I guess I have to:

There is no real "purpose" to the ordering of types, but Gamefreak's "habit" is that a Pokemon never changes it's primary typing when it evolves.

This is relevant to the rumor because it shows a new Fire/Dark pokemon, and it was speculated that it could be a Houndoom evo. But this can't be, because Houndoom is Dark/Fire, and the primary typing never changes.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit for you.
Yeah, that made sense, thanks. I somehow think that there is one example that doesn't fit this, I'll have to look, do you know anywhere where I can? That's not the pokedex, lol.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Yeah, that made sense, thanks. I somehow think that there is one example that doesn't fit this, I'll have to look, do you know anywhere where I can? That's not the pokedex, lol.
I actually used serebii's dex to check a while ago, it's very easy to use when looking for things like this, simply search by type. Here's a link if you need it: http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

I can't find a case of a Pokemon's primary typing changing, because like blasphemy stated, the primary typing is the "defining" characteristic of a Pokemon, and doesn't change by evolution (unlike secondary typing). A few examples:

Skorupi (Poison/Bug) -> Drapion (Poison/Dark)
Mudkip (Water) -> Marshtomp (Water/Ground)
Surskit (Bug/Water) -> Masqurain (Bug/Flying)

EDIT: One thing I realized (unfortunately) looking at the rumor again: The rumored typing #639 Ground/Bug can't be the Pinsir evo we want because of the Primary type... but it's important to remember these are just rumors: the person who created them may have just mixed up the order of the types, so we can't rule out anything!

I can't find a case of a Pokemon's primary typing changing
There are a couple that have a primary type switch. Onix -> Steelix is rock/ground to steel/ground and Swablu's normal becomes dragon when it evolves to Altaria.

However, there has never been an instance where the typing has reversed itself to my knowledge. This means unless a mix up on the posters part, the fire/dark is likely new and not a Houndoom evo as others have said. Either way is fine though, in fact a new pokemon is less restricting than an evo :P

Shroomisaur

steelix is steel/ground, onix is rock/ground. there you go.
Sure enough; there's the exception to the rule. It's strange how Steelix is the exception, rather than Shedinja or something like that...

EDIT: And Swablu too, good find Seriin. It's a "habit" after all, not a law. But you're right that a Type-reversal has never happened, and I don't think there's been an instance when a Pokemon's typing completely changes either (which reminds me of that rumor a while ago about the new Mole-mon changing from Ground to Steel upon evolving).

steelix is steel/ground, onix is rock/ground. there you go.
Good find. I forgot about that.

But my point about Houndoom still stands because there's never been a case of a Pokémon evolving into something where the types switched places. So Dark/Fire wouldn't become Fire/Dark.

Also, this is assuming the types from the rumor are listed in the correct order.

I actually used serebii's dex to check a while ago, it's very easy to use when looking for things like this, simply search by type. Here's a link if you need it: http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

I can't find a case of a Pokemon's primary typing changing, because like blasphemy stated, the primary typing is the "defining" characteristic of a Pokemon, and doesn't change by evolution (unlike secondary typing). A few examples:

Skorupi (Poison/Bug) -> Drapion (Poison/Dark)
Mudkip (Water) -> Marshtomp (Water/Ground)
Surskit (Bug/Water) -> Masqurain (Bug/Flying)

EDIT: One thing I realized (unfortunately) looking at the rumor again: The rumored typing #639 Ground/Bug can't be the Pinsir evo we want because of the Primary type... but it's important to remember these are just rumors: the person who created them may have just mixed up the order of the types, so we can't rule out anything!
Aww, shoot. I was really hoping for a Houndoom and Pinsir evolution, I just hope that the person messed up, or they broke the tradition or something along those lines..

That goes back to the defining characteristic I think. Onix is made of rocks, while Steelix is metal. Shedinja is still a bug, rather the discarded carapace of a bug, but a bug all the same.

EDIT: was in response to:
Sure enough; there's the exception to the rule. It's strange how Steelix is the exception, rather than Shedinja or something like that...

just because types switching place after evolution never happened dont mean it wont ever happen. who knows? maybe its a houndoom evo who gave up of of being a servant from the grim reaper and decided being the guardian of the hell gate cerberus with 3 heads would be coller, thus changing his main type to fire because cerberus burn shit apart.

edit:Same for pinsir, the dex data mention how he dig into the ground on cold nights right?

just because types switching place after evolution never happened dont mean it wont ever happen. who knows? maybe its a houndoom evo who gave up of of being a servant from the grim reaper and decided being the guardian of the hell gate cerberus with 3 heads would be coller, thus changing his main type to fire because cerberus burn shit apart.
Lol, nice one :naughty:
I reall hope they do switch types, I mean imo it doesn't really matter all that much.

Shroomisaur

That goes back to the defining characteristic I think. Onix is made of rocks, while Steelix is metal. Shedinja is still a bug, rather the discarded carapace of a bug, but a bug all the same.
I suppose you're right; I'd just always thought of Shedinja as a ghost first, rather than a bug (since it's dex data says it's a discarded shell that doesn't even breathe)

Nice find there Lucalibur! I just hope that this applies to Houndoom...
Lol, nice one :naughty:
I reall hope they do switch types, I mean imo it doesn't really matter all that much.
Sounds like someone really wants a Houndoom evo! The problem with this is the whole type-reversal thing has never happened, but the rumor's creator could have just mixed up the order - or this generation could be the first to have this happen! If that's the case... c'mon, Pinsir!

Am I truly one of the few people who doesn't want evolutions for past 'mons, much less one for Houndoom?

I mean, an evolution for it would be cool 'n all, but at the same time, I was thinking that this "rumored" 'mon would either not exist (Which said 'dex listing looks extremely iffy to me), or that it'd simply be a legendary.

+ Obligatory Skarmory needs an evolution joke here

I suppose you're right; I'd just always thought of Shedinja as a ghost first, rather than a bug (since it's dex data says it's a discarded shell that doesn't even breathe)

Sounds like someone really wants a Houndoom evo! The problem with this is the whole type-reversal thing has never happened, but the rumor's creator could have just mixed up the order - or this generation could be the first to have this happen! If that's the case... c'mon, Pinsir!
YES! I didn't like the fire starter that much, I always pick the fire one, but I have to go with Tsutaja, and seeing how we would fit more with Fire/Psychic, I'm really hoping Houndoom evovles! Just more speed please! And SD Pinsir evo screams epic win with stab in EQ :naughty:

Am I truly one of the few people who doesn't want evolutions for past 'mons, much less one for Houndoom?

I mean, an evolution for it would be cool 'n all, but at the same time, I was thinking that this "rumored" 'mon would either not exist (Which said 'dex listing looks extremely iffy to me), or that it'd simply be a legendary.

this is actually common. i dont know if you like pinsir or houndoom but some persons fear that a evolution might ruin the pokemon while others think it will make him coller. i am neutral about it, just gave some reasons to believe that its possible.

this is actually common. i dont know if you like pinsir or houndoom but some persons fear that a evolution might ruin the pokemon while others think it will make him coller. i am neutral about it, just gave some reasons to believe that its possible.
Yeah, yeah, I know. It just a bit of an annoyance seeing how many things need/don't need/blah blah an evolution, which is why I've gotten into a trend of saying Skarmory needs an evolution, since paaaages back, it was speculated that 'mons without Hyper Beam would evolve, and guess what boat Skarmory's on.

All in all, Houndoom and Pinsir are capable of sweeping themselves, they dont necessarily NEED an evolution, but if they do, it'll make them better and more epic :D

if we use gamefreak logic then its very possible those 2 get evos. just look at rhydon and rypherior. might not be on this gen but when it comes to gamefreak anything is possible, even a 3 types fighting/steel/flying Lucario evo that end up being dumped into ubers. yeah if you cant notice i have wet dreams about this one.

Shroomisaur

Actually no, I don't want too see new evolutions for past Pokemon either. While there are a few Pokemon I'd like to see given a fresh lease on life, I'd rather have a batch of completely new Pokemon, just as they did with R/S - one of the reasons Gen III is my favorite.

However, the rumor that's creating all this buzz shows a pattern similar to the D/P dex, with a bunch of unrelated typings following each other late in the regional dex. I'm assuming it's being interpreted this way (and is why most people are talking about potential evos), but it could also mean that there is a long list of (pseudo)Legendary Pokemon in this coming generation, just like in D/P.

Personally, I don't like either of those ideas... but it is just a rumor. The most unlikely part (for me) is still the fact that it states only 7 old Pokemon will return in the Isshu dex - that seems too low.

@Unknown Tsutaja: The main perk of that evo would be STAB Mold Breaker EQ... :naughty:

if we use gamefreak logic then its very possible those 2 get evos.
In that case... Mawile, Sableye, Ninetales, Weavile, Absol, and Lapras all need evolutions on the double right now.

Personally, I don't like either of those ideas... but it is just a rumor. The most unlikely part (for me) is still the fact that it states only 7 old Pokemon will return in the Isshu dex - that seems too low.
Pikachu, Zubat, Tentacool, Magikarp, Goldeen, Golbat, and Tentacruel. There you go.

Actually no, I don't want too see new evolutions for past Pokemon either. While there are a few Pokemon I'd like to see given a fresh lease on life, I'd rather have a batch of completely new Pokemon, just as they did with R/S - one of the reasons Gen III is my favorite.

However, the rumor that's creating all this buzz shows a pattern similar to the D/P dex, with a bunch of unrelated typings following each other late in the regional dex. I'm assuming it's being interpreted this way (and is why most people are talking about potential evos), but it could also mean that there is a long list of (pseudo)Legendary Pokemon in this coming generation, just like in D/P.

@Unknown Tsutaja: The main perk of that evo would be STAB Mold Breaker EQ... :naughty:
IMO, I want more than just 7, including a Sableye evo, it needs one D:
I want a ton of new pokemon though, like RSE. And the evo to Pinsir, well nothing will be taking that beast on :naughty:
@ Lucalibur- Now that Luke evo will definitely rock the whole game, but I don't think it will happen, lol. But as we said, GF can pull of surprises, and I hope that it'll be good surprises, not things such as SD+Bullet Punch Scizor -.-

Shroomisaur

if we use gamefreak logic then its very possible those 2 get evos. just look at rhydon and rypherior. might not be on this gen but when it comes to gamefreak anything is possible, even a 3 types fighting/steel/flying Lucario evo that end up being dumped into ubers. yeah if you cant notice i have wet dreams about this one.
I lol'd...

And you have wet dreams about that, despite having gothmon hentai!?
In that case... Mawile, Sableye, Ninetales, Weavile, Absol, and Lapras all need evolutions on the double right now.

You forgot Dunsparce...!

Pikachu, Zubat, Tentacool, Magikarp, Goldeen, Golbat, and Tentacruel. There you go.
And this can't work because the entire evolutionary family would need to be included too (imagine the game saying "404 ERROR GYARADOS NOT FOUND: Sorry! Your Magikarp can't evolve because Gyarados doesn't exist in this region!")

It's been suggested the 7 pokes are Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Magikarp, Gyarados, Tentacool, Tentacruel... but I can't see Pokemon like Machop and Goldeen and Zubat and Geodude suddenly missing a generation; they've been in every game this far, why stop now?

there is a reason i love my username so much, i do fakemons you know? i also like orgys so gothmon also show up once in a while.

i will wait for the oficial pokedex before putting my bets on how many older generations pokemons will show up.

For the ground/bug evo and the dark/fire pokemon, this is kind of weird to me, because normally the bug and fire types are the primary types whenever they appear. You'd think it'd be the other way around right? How can something be secondary a bug or secondary fire? if its a bug, its a bug, if its fire, its fire. unless im mistaken, i dont think fire and bug have ever been secondary types when they appear as part of a dual-type pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)