Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if this is dsi exclusive (it probably will be, and it will have a camera gimmick) I will go on a murderous rampage
It is not a DSi exclusive. Otherwise I assume the platform would say "Nintendo DSi" instead of "Nintendo DS".

Of the 125.13 Nintendo DS systems they have sold, only 17.13 million (13.7%) are DSi or DSiLL. I think they want to go for as many people as possible for now.

It might be like Gold / Silver / Crystal. Gold and Silver were enhanced for GBC but played fine on GB. Crystal required a GBC to play.

{ 16:34:54 PM } <+Priscilla> On the 29th, Nintendo announced it will release in 2010 a completely new series in the popular game, Pokémon. On the same day at the Jan-March quarterly briefing, Nintendo President Satoru Iwada announced it is being developed for the DS.
{ 16:34:54 PM } <+Priscilla> Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (released September 2006) shipped a record 5.8 million domestic units. Details such as title and release date have not been disclosed. Many 'completely new' Pokémon appear, and the new series' adventure will be expanded.

the translation is rather shaky, i'm tired / have a headache / ran into some phrases i can't english properly / don't know japanese the way a JPLT2 or 1 student would know, but yeah...

I expect when these games are released the most recent Nintendo handheld will be the DSi XL. We're not going to see yet another one. Remember the DSi is more powerful than the DS and DS Lite (twice the processor speed and 4 times the RAM). I'm not sure any games are yet using that extra power, but I think we will start to see DSi-only games, and possibly also mixed mode games (like the games that had colour on the GBC but worked on the regular GBA, including the original Gold and Silver). I would not be surprised if the new Pokemon games were such.

Just because there hasn't been a spin-off series yet, doesn't mean there won't be one now. Pokemon is a huge cash cow after all. I suppose Mystery Dungeon and Ranger series can be considered spin-off too, btw. Also Snap? Um, how about the Pokemon TCG games on GB... yeah the list goes on...
I think what is meant is that most if not all previous spin-offs were not developed by Game Freak.

I do wonder where they are going to go with legendaries. I mean, we've had Pokemon that rule time and space, and one that's basically God. Where next?

I'm doubting that it's a Crystal remake because so much of Crystal's story is already incorporated into HGSS that it would come off as redundant.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just because there hasn't been a spin-off series yet, doesn't mean there won't be one now. Pokemon is a huge cash cow after all. I suppose Mystery Dungeon and Ranger series can be considered spin-off too, btw. Also Snap? Um, how about the Pokemon TCG
Yes, all those games are spin-offs.

Mystery Dungeon: Chunsoft (as I said, Chunsoft has a long line of Mystery Dungeon games. Pokemon is just one of them)
Ranger: HAL
Snap: HAL
TCG: Hudson

The Stadium games are also spin-offs and were developed externally.

The only Pokemon games that Game Freak has made are the mainline handheld ones. They have also made Drill Dozer in that time but that wasn't a Pokemon game.

I will be very happy if this is shadow pokemon 3 with new shadow moves- and a shadow Darkrie for catching all the shadows

Wayyyy to early for generation 5

@cantab: It explicitly says that Satoru Iwada said it's being developed for the DS. It's also not a hoax because I read the articles on both Oricon and the Pokémon official sites. Can't get much more reliable than that.
@Tooth: while you are right, the precedent is that GF doesn't do them; DS spinoffs are by other developers.
@Jack: yes, I was surprised by this, as I expected there to be more hype around the film, which is coming out in summer (northern hemisphere). I also expected the announcement to be on Pokémon Sunday... which is why I'm hesitant, though all signs are pointing it to be true..
@Uberiffic: lol no it is not. It's been nearly four years. Nintendo are undoubtedly milking this generation for all it's worth, because it's popular--as a Pokémon merchandise collector, I can tell you, they're going to damn squeeze as much money out of as they can--but the anime is nearing its end and by the time it comes out, it'll have been over a year or so since HG/SS were released in Japan.

Now that I think about it, I fear generation 5. It just feels like its been less than a year since I joined in early platinum. damn, seems like just when I finally get good at the game, I get hit in the eye with a curveball

But for everyone complaining, you can stick with generation 4 like some stick to RBY. I certainly will be unless something really balancing comes out.

Since it is going to be DS based, I don't think we'll see any major changes to the game mechanics, since that would cause issues with trading. So new moves and move tweaks, MAYBE a new type (though that's something I very much doubt), but no change to the system of IVs/EVs/Natures. I'd really like IVs to be abolished, but I don't see it happening.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
It really seems soon, even though the DPPt generatioin has been going on for a pretty long time. I personally hope that you'll be able to go over Level 100...

What cantab said re. ^. Gimmicks like Gizamimi (Notch-Eared) Pichu (note that I collect her so ;_; bawww @ having to call her that) aren't tradeable. Of course, 'the time machine', but given that there's now wi-fi, I don't think any significant changes will be made. Would inconvenience things too much.

huh, wouldn't they have already started the hype around new Pokémon and whatnot if this was supposed to be 5th gen? Pokémon XD featured Bonsly and Munchlax and was released in 2005, around a year before DP. So we knew about the new Pokémon a year before the games... Or more than that. A Crystal remake also sounds unlikely, as HGSS already have everything that Crystal added to GSC. Except the GS Ball, I suppose, lol.

No way they wouldn't be hyping us with new Pokémon if this was supposed to be the 5th generation, lol. I think some random spin-off is way more likely.

The next film is going to be out soon so there is plenty of time for the hype maching to get going. Considering the subject material (GS pokemon) it's almost a retread of old territory which is something we've never seen with the movies before and what makes it more likely to feature some new pokemon.

Firestorm

Nintendo right now is very different from the Nintendo in 2005. They no longer do the "announce things well in advance and keep up the hype". Their biggest games on the Wii, for example, have all been announced maybe 6 months before release. In 2009, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was announced in June and came out in November. Aside from Wii Sports and Wii Fit, that is their single most important title on the platform. Well, Mario Kart Wii comes close I guess.

Nintendo wants to be like Apple. They follow Apple's business model very closely.

Nintendo right now is very different from the Nintendo in 2005. They no longer do the "announce things well in advance and keep up the hype". Their biggest games on the Wii, for example, have all been announced maybe 6 months before release. In 2009, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was announced in June and came out in November. Aside from Wii Sports and Wii Fit, that is their single most important title on the platform. Well, Mario Kart Wii comes close I guess.

Nintendo wants to be like Apple. They follow Apple's business model very closely.
lol I can't tell if you're talking to me or just talking about stuff in general because I already mentioned this possibility in a earlier post. Besides, Mario Galaxy 2 was announced alongside NSMB as well as Zelda Wii and both of those aren't coming out any time soon. They've definately gotten better with their release dates but it's not true that no longer have those long gaps between announcement and release with every title.

if anyone's followed the anime, it's been by pumping out filler after filler, and even releasing gliscor and bringing in a gible for a new storyline. currently, this has been the longest amount of episodes ash has gone without winning a badge. they're obviously stalling until they can release more news about this, and also for hgss' international release

Besides, Mario Galaxy 2 was announced alongside NSMB as well as Zelda Wii and both of those aren't coming out any time soon. They've definately gotten better with their release dates but it's not true that no longer have those long gaps between announcement and release with every title.
Galaxy 2 and Zelda Wii are coming out this year which means the gap is around a year. When's the last time Nintendo had a huge gap between announcement and release? It's true they just don't do it anymore heh.

Anyway, this is most likely gen 5 considering Gamefreak's history but a few things have got me thinking. The DS is over 5 years old now, and new generations last around 4 years so that would mean either a new handheld is a long way away or it's going to support the DS somehow. Maybe it will be backwards compatible with DS games? I dunno, after ~10 years of only making the main series maybe Gamefreak has decided to do something different with Pokemon rather than going straight into a new generation. If this is the case, something like xd where it was a current gen game but showed off a few new Pokemon is quite a possibility imo.

If this is the case, something like xd where it was a current gen game but showed off a few new Pokemon is quite a possibility imo.
Something like XD isn't a possibilty--those games are made by other companies, such as Genius Sonority in the case of Colosseum and XD. Game Freak, however, only sticks to the main games. And since we know that this game is being made by Game Freak, this isn't something like XD being talked about.

Beyond that, I'll just quote a segment of a post I made on BMGF on this issue:
Shiron said:
That, and I don't believe this "one generation per platform" thing was ever officially stated as a business plan for Game Freak anyway, rather being the fans' take on the matter. However, it's quite easy that we have just been looking at it wrong the whole time and what mattered to Game Freak was not the platform, but rather the amount of time between generations. Looking at it that way, and comparing how long the DP generation has lasted compared to the other generations, it would make sense for the next generation to be released about now if that's the case.

Combine this with other possible factors on top of it, like the lifespan of the DS, which has been a successful platform for Nintendo, which they've even just recently come out with yet another model of (the DSi LL/XL), which suggests that they are indeed trying to keep the platform around even longer, especially if they learned something from the GameBoy Micro (which... I'm pretty sure they have. Nintendo isn't full of idiots and as they are a business, they wouldn't want to make a mistake like that again if they could).
And I'll just quote the rest of it, as it helps to explain why I feel the chances of this being Generation 5 are extremely high:
Shiron said:
On top of that, look at the Pokemon anime. A common question concerning it was what the heck is up with this huge gap between Snowpoint and Sunnyshore (and as a result it not looking like Sinnoh will be over until anytime before summer at least). The anime getting word of the 5th gen coming in around the fall of this year when they were producing those intermediate episodes would explain that. Hearing things would be coming up that quick, they debated between whether it would be a good idea to blaze through the rest of Sinnoh and do a quickie Battle Frontier arc or just hold out Sinnoh until the 5th gen comes. Feeling that although lagging through Sinnoh wouldn't be the best possible thing that could happen, it definitely beats rushed development for the rest of Sinnoh and a short frontier arc (if it was short, they wouldn't have time to properly market the saga, and thus it wouldn't be worth it), and thus they went for the one long arc over two short ones, in order to fill up that gap of time.

Beyond that, what are the other possibilities? Crystal remake? Why then would they have bothered putting Eusine in HG/SS at all if that were the case? He wasn't in the original G/S, and they didn't need him. Doing so would only make them needlessly think of something new to make Crystal stand out again, which wouldn't be needed if they just stuck with Eusine. The only way his presence in HG/SS makes sense is if Game Freak had absolutely no plans whatsoever to actually remake Crystal itself, and thus stuck him and some other features from Crystal in there to make up for the fact.

There's also the fact of the upcoming Pokemon Movie: Phantom Champion Z. The interesting thing about this movie is of course it's title, which some fans have interpreted as possibly referring to a new Pokemon, especially since that unannounced merchandise showed up. However, the title is interesting in more ways than that. It bears a striking resemblance to the original title of a certain other movie: movie 2. Before Lugia was revealed, it was also called something akin to "Phantom Champion" in the title. If this isn't just a coincidence, and it is indeed an advertisement for a legendary from Gen 5 as it seems to be, then Gen 5 will be getting plenty of hype from that movie alone (and since CoroCoro is going to be revealing what Phantom Champion Z is next month, if it is a Gen 5 Pokemon, that would add on several more months of hype for the games, which is plenty enough, especially with Nintendo's more recent business model of trying to cut down on the promotion a bit and only announcing games closer to their release time).

I suppose one could try saying that it's a replacement for Crystal, or rather a new addition to the GS saga instead. But again, they already had Crystal to work with, and a Crystal remake would have been a surefire seller. If they were truly interested in going that route, they would have just remade Crystal. But as said above, if they were going to do that, they wouldn't have placed the defining differences of Crystal into HG/SS.

Other than that, since this is Game Freak, there's really only the possibility of Gen 3 remakes left. This is an actual realistic possibility. However, that would put Game Freak into a bit of a crunch in Gen 5, as that would force them to remake DP then, which would be way too soon for that. Having Gen 3 remakes in Gen 5 would keep the pacing nice, with an appropriately aged generation getting remade in the successive generations, and not leave them with something as new as DP getting remade. Plus, there have been numerous events for the majority of the RS legends in DP already, such as the Regi trio, Jirachi, and even Deoxys. The Titan trios themselves were made catchable in HG/SS, along with the Lati twins. All things considered, it's just too soon for RS remakes right now.

Putting all of these pieces together, the 5th gen is looking like the most likely outcome to me right now (although, I must say, even I didn't expect it this soon: I expected it next fall at the earliest. Still, I can't make else out of this, so that's what I going with for now).

Firestorm

Game Freak broke the "one per platform" with the very first sequel. Gold and Silver were perfectly playable on the Game Boy. Much like Gold and Silver, I'm sure Generation 5 will be playable on DS with enhanced features for DSi.

I personally think it will be a gen 3 remake and there will be more remakes each generation. If we go by the current pattern, gen 3 will get a remake in gen 5, gen 4 in gen 6, gen 5 in gen 7, etc. This means there will be no more remakes of the kanto and Jhoto. thus they have to make more remakes either this generation or next generation, else kill a generation after its remake. If it is a gen 3 remake, I would think gen 5 would come in 2012, right before the world ends.

It could be something like Crystal was for Gold/Silver, but with a heavier focus on Celebi instead of Suicune.
No, that's silly for the reasons I mentioned in my above post:
Shiron said:
Beyond that, what are the other possibilities? Crystal remake? Why then would they have bothered putting Eusine in HG/SS at all if that were the case? He wasn't in the original G/S, and they didn't need him. Doing so would only make them needlessly think of something new to make Crystal stand out again, which wouldn't be needed if they just stuck with Eusine. The only way his presence in HG/SS makes sense is if Game Freak had absolutely no plans whatsoever to actually remake Crystal itself, and thus stuck him and some other features from Crystal in there to make up for the fact.

I suppose one could try saying that it's a replacement for Crystal, or rather a new addition to the GS saga instead. But again, they already had Crystal to work with, and a Crystal remake would have been a surefire seller. If they were truly interested in going that route, they would have just remade Crystal. But as said above, if they were going to do that, they wouldn't have placed the defining differences of Crystal into HG/SS.
And for the person who mentioned Gen 3:
Shiron said:
Other than that, since this is Game Freak, there's really only the possibility of Gen 3 remakes left. This is an actual realistic possibility. However, that would put Game Freak into a bit of a crunch in Gen 5, as that would force them to remake DP then, which would be way too soon for that. Having Gen 3 remakes in Gen 5 would keep the pacing nice, with an appropriately aged generation getting remade in the successive generations, and not leave them with something as new as DP getting remade. Plus, there have been numerous events for the majority of the RS legends in DP already, such as the Regi trio, Jirachi, and even Deoxys. The Titan trios themselves were made catchable in HG/SS, along with the Lati twins. All things considered, it's just too soon for RS remakes right now.

Personally , I hope it's a new generation. Not only for the new Pokemon that will come but for the updates the ones we got will receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)