Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black and White are just plain BAD ASS names. these jewel names and shit are just plain lame, and more complicated then they need to be. I'm glad they chose these names; they're simple, yet contrast each other perfectly, which is what we want in version names.

Also, I doubt Black and White will relate to Dark and Light. the version names so far have only effected colour schemes of the respective version mascots; I don't know why people are suddenly jumping to the conclusion that Dark and Light will be major factors in these games. really silly if you ask me. I also don;t think we need a Light type, and I doubt they will add that either I wouldn't be apposed if they did, just saying...

Black and White are just plain BAD ASS names. these jewel names and shit are just plain lame, and more complicated then they need to be. I'm glad they chose these names; they're simple, yet contrast each other perfectly, which is what we want in version names.

Also, I doubt Black and White will relate to Dark and Light. the version names so far have only effected colour schemes of the respective version mascots; I don't know why people are suddenly jumping to the conclusion that Dark and Light will be major factors in these games. really silly if you ask me. I also don;t think we need a Light type, and I doubt they will add that either I wouldn't be apposed if they did, just saying...
Well the Dark type was added in Gen 2, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a light type this Gen. Maybe something to go along with steel typing too.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Simple, but cool names.

However, I'm excited to learn more about the new Pokemon and the name of the forthcoming region!

I like the names. Hopefully some good info will come out on Pokemon Sunday, particularly on the starters!
My sentiments exactly. A nice break from the jewelry theme of the last several gens and a return to colors. I think what everyone is craving, though, is a look at the actual Pokemon. Perhaps black/white will be the first games to have starters other than grass/water/fire, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Well the Dark type was added in Gen 2, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a light type this Gen. Maybe something to go along with steel typing too.
I think if they wanted to add a Light type they would have done so by now. they really have no reason to not add new types every gen, other than not wanting to. unless this gen requires them adding in new types (in order to keep things interesting without changing the system drastically), Light type seems unnecessary. not that I think it's a bad type, I rather like the concept of it myself.

also, what would go along with Steel? Rubber Type? thats silly.

Diamond and Pearl were such horrible contrasts. Nintendo really is running out low on ideas...

I don't like "Black" and "White". The names sound too simplistic for my tastes. I prefer "Dark" and "Light", as they have more flavor.

BTW, I am glad to see the DS logo.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't get too attached to the names Black and White for america. There is precedent for changing names that could be racially offensive. The Megaman Battle Network Series had Black and White versions in Japan, but they changed them to White and Blue when they hit the states. I'm not saying it WILL happen, but that it's not farfetch'd.

calling them "Dark" and "Light" would require the story to involve those elements in some way, and we don't even know if they do. using colours means they can just be contrasting version names, and the story can be whatever. Diamonds and pearls don't fit into the idea of using Pokemon that can control space and time to create a new dimension or whatever they tried to do in DP. all the name did was effect the colour scheme of the version mascots. Black and white are perfect version names as they are the default contrast, and sounds way more original (and therefore bad ass) than the cliched "struggle between Dark and Light!!1!"

also, the names won't be changed. Black and White are the names of colours. the versions are named after those colours. if they didn't change the names on the crayons, they won't change them on the game. if the games were called "BlackFace" and "WhitePower" then I could see them changing it, but thats not the case (even though people are acting like it is...)

The problem is that race gets brought up at ALL...when I first saw the names, I just thought "Sweet, going back to colors. Simplistic. Sleek. Nice."

Then I come on the boards to see this talk...race is not even remotely in the equation, and people who bring it up are obviously thinking about it themselves to some degree.

Anyway, I LOVE the name choices. Diamond/Pearl were terrible names, though of course they are only NAMES, so that is good. I really think Zoroark will be on Pokemon Black, because, and I don't know where I saw this picture, but it was a picture of Zoroark with a Pokemon Timeline and it had an arrow pointing at him to the box. We'll see.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I just noticed, THIS is Pokemon Black:

While this is Pokemon White:

I would have thought it was the other way round o.O

One thing I am wondering about is how they are going to top Arceus...maybe they will make an opposite? Or perhaps they will just leave Arceus as the God.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's only racial because you make it out to be. It's nothing more than a name, there just colors.

Brock? He's really the only one I can think of.

EDIT: And iirc Pokemon Blue was released in Japan, but America only got Red and Blue.
Originally Red and Green were released in Japan, with Blue as the third game, updated. They used the Blue game for the American release, with Red and Blue.

I really don't like the games names, but thats just me.

I also doubt that they will introduce any more types, and FYI the Psychic type is actually the Light type in Japan if i'm not mistaken.

Gamefreak couldn't not be aware of the competitive metagame, even in a loose sense.

I really like Black and White. But yes, I can see them changing the names in America because of potential racial matters.

Out of the two, I'll most likely get Pokemon Black, unless the picture on the box of White looks heaps better.

Although unlikely, I hope Weepinbel gets a split evo since Gloom did.

I like White and Black. My greatest hope is that backward compatibility is retained.

The logical jump would be to leave Arceus as god and introduce a Dark type to contrast him... a pokemon satan, so to speak. This fits in with the "light and Dark" theme. And will give the Jack Thompson conniptions.

well justinawe, they only added dark and steel to balance out psychic type, they also split the spc stat cause of that, so i dont think its probable they add new types

Yin/Yang pokémon, maybe?

Hmm. I'll go with the female one.
This.
Good and evil based on yin and yang is a fantastic concept as they can really make the legendaries as well. The legendaries could be based on the common asian guardians (or spirits) that are in Shinto and Buddhism. This should let them make legendaries that aren't overwhelmingly powerful like the dppt ones but make ones (i guess) that could be OU material so we can all use them more :D

edit: they should seriously make fighting type legends. probably won't be dragon as we've had the dragon trio already but yeah that would be pretty good

I have to say that race was the furthest thing from my mind when I heard the names (which are awesome IMO). Maybe that's just because I'm European and therefore not hypersensitive about this stuff (although we take the blame for ruining the game corner, woot!), but I think that people are jumping the gun a little.

The Lionhead Black&White games were released in the U.S with their titles unchanged as far as I know. Why would this be any more of an issue? Is it because the games are seperate versions rather than one game or what?

I like the idea of Black and White being Yin and Yang. I'd like to see a Fighting legendary as one of the iconic ones of the pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)