Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water/Normal STAB rocks. It's one of the hardly-resisted combos. Resisted by (Water,Grass,Dragon)/(Steel,Ghost). Currently that's Empoleon, Dialga, and Giratina (and of course there's Shedinja).
Not so good presently on a specially-oriented Pokemon, but I doubt the otter is going to be specially oriented, and anyway they could make a new, powerful, widespread special normal attack.
Or they could just give Hyper Voice to more Pokemon. Or Trump Card, but lol Trump Card.

Hyper Voice is very specific thematically. I can't see it getting a wide distribution.

Trump card would be awesome if you could enter link/Wifi/shoddy battles with only 1 or maybe 2 PP in it, and it had better distribution. It'd be a one-shot deal, but one shot that's that powerful could have an impact. A Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z 1PP Trump Card OHKOes Regice, may OHKO Chansey after Stealth Rock, it would be one of the most powerful attacks in the game if it was present.

Hyper Voice is very specific thematically. I can't see it getting a wide distribution.
I know, but honestly, it's either that, Tri Attack, or having to put up with Swift. I can see GameFreak trying to make a Normal-type special move, sure, but just think of how difficult that is. I mean, there's a very strange line dividing physical Normal moves from, say, Dark or Fighting. Mega Punch is Normal, but Focus Punch is Fighting; Bite used to be Normal, but now it's Dark. I think special moves suffer even worse from this; the move pretty much has to hit the enemy without any contact, and without the attacker doing too much with its body (or it'd be Fighting) or its mind (or it'd be Psychic).

Pokemon in D\P\Pt\HG\SS are humping the ground over, and over again.
At least in Gen 5, they'll move around a little bit more fluidly but with the limitations of a handheld.
I think it is better with the "Limitations". I mean, the Stadium, Colosseum and PBR games were fun as a spectacle but having every battle take that long with animations would be ridiculous considering how many battles you get into.

That being said, I think that these animated battles show that fluid clean looking 2D looks much better on the DS than 3D-because-we-can.

Guys I know it's fun and all to imagine the types of the new starters, but I predict that the 3 starters will be pure Grass, Fire and Water. Their evolved forms however I think may gain a secondary type, not sure what type yet though.

Anyway I really like the Grass type starter (even though it looks like Treecko).
I also like the Fire type starter (kind of resembles Cyndaquil).
The water type starter (looks like Piplup as most of you have pointed out) is very weird, I don't find it is bad but it is weird lol.
I think all of them will evolve into some cool Pokemon though, so I'm not sure which one to choose yet.

Just saying- if the grass starter evolved into THAT, I wouldn't even consider the other two starters :P

These animations, though some will be lame, are certainly a step up from what we've had in the past.

Oh man, if only we had a Pokemon named Pignition. Or Baconator. I bet Wendy's would pay some good money for that kind of product placement. =P

Oh man, if only we had a Pokemon named Pignition. Or Baconator. I bet Wendy's would pay some good money for that kind of product placement. =P
No thanks, I do not want little kids running around thinking their pokemon (best friend) is food...

The fan art of the grass starter is really cool.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know I had this big rant about a hundred pages back about people being condescending about certain gameplay mechanic ideas, but I can't believe that the two most talked about ideas for starter typing so far have been Grass/Dragon and Water/Normal. Those are both terrible ideas for exactly the opposite reasons. Normal on a starter? Normal is vanilla. It's the most basic type. No kid is going to want to play with the normal type starter. Water/Normal isn't resisted by much? Pokemon's target audience doesn't give a shit about that, they want super effective and normal can't give them that. Dragon on the other hand is the exact opposite of Normal. It's too grand, too good. I'd honestly expect to see a Ghost starter before a Dragon starter, and a Ghost starter is a silly idea for reasons that should be obvious.

I do like the idea of Fighting/Psychic/Dark. But whoever said that was confirmed was full of it, and I don't really expect it.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I see what you did there. Though it does make perfect sense. Ninetails should be part Psychic IMO
Wait, what did I do there? I'm not sure what you mean.

I think that in Japanese folklore, foxes transform in order to trick others. I figure that since Vulpix and Ninetales only have one ability right now, Illusion would be the perfect one to add.

Also, the names Pignition and Boaruption are officially awesome. You should suggest them to Nintendo of America now. It's a great regret of mine that I didn't write to them to suggest that Clefairy's pre-evo be named 'Clefigment'.

Maybe they're talking about the anime, there was an episode where a Ninetales created a mansion and an illusion of a woman and stuff. Also these are traits of many Ghost types but they never get any cool abilities like that in game :/ Ninetales needs so much more done to it than gaining one ability though.

I like Boarbeque but Pignition is totally a runner up.

I know, but honestly, it's either that, Tri Attack, or having to put up with Swift. I can see GameFreak trying to make a Normal-type special move, sure, but just think of how difficult that is. I mean, there's a very strange line dividing physical Normal moves from, say, Dark or Fighting. Mega Punch is Normal, but Focus Punch is Fighting; Bite used to be Normal, but now it's Dark. I think special moves suffer even worse from this; the move pretty much has to hit the enemy without any contact, and without the attacker doing too much with its body (or it'd be Fighting) or its mind (or it'd be Psychic).
Rainbow Pulse

100 BP
Special Normal
5% chance of burn, 5% chance of confusion, 5% chance of paralysis, 5% chance of sleep, 5% chance of freeze, 5% chance of flinching, 5% chance of bad poisoning.

Togekiss (and Ho-oh because of flavor reasons) gets it so we can get an even trollier abuser of Serene Grace.
Blissey gets it for the same reasons as Togekiss.
Porygon-Z gets it because it has base 135 Special Attack and wants something besides Hyper Beam to own stuff with.
Alakazam does not get it because "it's Psychic, therefore by Game Freak logic it must be epic."
Mence and Chomp get it but Nite doesn't.

Have a nice day.
'Cept Alakazam and 'Nite.

I know I had this big rant about a hundred pages back about people being condescending about certain gameplay mechanic ideas, but I can't believe that the two most talked about ideas for starter typing so far have been Grass/Dragon and Water/Normal. Those are both terrible ideas for exactly the opposite reasons. Normal on a starter? Normal is vanilla. It's the most basic type. No kid is going to want to play with the normal type starter. Water/Normal isn't resisted by much? Pokemon's target audience doesn't give a shit about that, they want super effective and normal can't give them that. Dragon on the other hand is the exact opposite of Normal. It's too grand, too good. I'd honestly expect to see a Ghost starter before a Dragon starter, and a Ghost starter is a silly idea for reasons that should be obvious.

I do like the idea of Fighting/Psychic/Dark. But whoever said that was confirmed was full of it, and I don't really expect it.

Sorry, that was me. I read a post by someone saying they had translated the scan, but it turned out they were just trying to fool everyone. I'm way too gullible when it comes to new Pokemon announcements :pirate:

I get what you're saying about the starter types. It makes sense, but darn it...I really want my Grass/Dragon! Maybe Tsutaja could start out pure Grass, and gain Dragon as a secondary type for his final form? But even that wouldn't be in line with GameFreak's past treatment of the Dragon type...Dragons and their prevos are supposed to be rare (Gible, Bagon) or look so unlike a Dragon that no one would ever suspect (Trapinch, Swablu). Whatever, I'd be happy if Tsutaja's final form at least gets some decent Dragon-type moves like Charizard, Feraligatr, and Sceptile have.

I have an idea...what if Mijumaru's final form was part Ice? It's more than likely, considering that snow-white head and the fact that sea otters live in reasonably cold waters. He'd be able to hit Tsutaja's final form with a 4X Super-Effective STAB Ice attack. He'd also be hit neutral by Pokabu's fire attacks, and in return Pokabu would only be able to deal neutral Fire damage to Tsutaja! This would kinda fit with the dynamic the Fourth gen starters had. When they reached their final forms, each one had less of a type advantage than it did previously: Empoleon was hit neutral by Grass but took a lot of damage from Infernape's Super-effective Fighting moves (and his neutral Fire moves). Torterra also got STAB Earthquake to hit Infernape with. The advantages weren't reversed, but they were certainly shifted. Something similar might happen here.

I also agree that a Ghost type starter would be impossible, although it could lead to some morbid comedy:

Black: "Hey Professor, can I have a Pokemon?"
Professor: "Sure, Black! Just let me...oh crap...I forgot to put holes in the box..."

Mence and Chomp get it but Nite doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)