Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. It's strange, because there's a lot of evidence that they do give a shit, mostly in the diverse movepools of many Pokémon. The problem is that they also create a bunch of overpowered Pokémon and then never gave rules to remove them from play.
I guess I should be more specific-- they don't give a shit about making a metagame we might consider "balanced" nor even one the Japanese players might percieve as "balanced". They simply do the bare minimum and fix disgustingly obviously broken things, like giving Slaking Truant and (LOL) Regigigas Slow Start to mediate their better-than-average BSTs.

Good points. It's strange, because there's a lot of evidence that they do give a shit, mostly in the diverse movepools of many Pokémon. The problem is that they also create a bunch of overpowered Pokémon and then never gave rules to remove them from play.
Part of the problem, as has been stated on other threads, is that the metagame IS meticulously balanced by GameFreak, but the focus is on double battles. There were almost no Garchomps at the VGCs, for example, because they couldn't survive long enough to be the danger they are in single battles.

As far as the WiFi is concerned, I think the reason that they didn't have more advanced features in the WiFi battles was because the more advanced features weren't released until Pokemon Platinum. There may have been some compatibility issues or whatever to prevent them from changing the way WiFi battles worked... Though I'm not quite sure why they left auto-leveling out of the local wireless.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Part of the problem, as has been stated on other threads, is that the metagame IS meticulously balanced by GameFreak, but the focus is on double battles. There were almost no Garchomps at the VGCs, for example, because they couldn't survive long enough to be the danger they are in single battles.
This has a grain of truth to it, but as someone who plays double battles almost exclusively, I can tell you that it's not quite accurate. Garchomp may not have been seen much in this latest VGC, but that's because he didn't fit well into the game that the Ubers created.

Garchomp, in general, is a complete beast in doubles. It's much more powerful than the average fully-evolved Pokémon. Fast, powerful, STAB Earthquakes and great type coverage are nothing to sneeze at, and they're a relatively rare commodity. Its 102 base Speed helps just as much in doubles as in singles, and with a Yache Berry it can do some major damage before going down.

The game is more balanced for doubles, but only if you take out a lot of Pokémon. If you allow Kyogre, for example, the whole metagame is always huge rain-fest. That's not what I would call balanced.

HA hah aha ahah ahahhaahhahahaaa!! Ha! Heh...

That's a good one. Seriously, though, they are that dumb. I don't even think that the team that makes the wireless and Wi-Fi connection features ever talk to the people who make the Pokémon and the game mechanics.

No, we can look forward to another lazy implementation with no Sleep Clause and maybe a paltry list of banned Pokémon. Forget any sort of comprehensive tiering; you'll just be disappointed when the game comes out.

That's why programs like Shoddy Battle will always be around. GameFreak couldn't set up a balanced metagame to save their lives.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say the teams that make the wireless and Wi-Fi connections. They didn't talk to each other either, it would appear. "Let's have level scaling for Wi-Fi, but not local wireless." "Let's have a bunch of special cups for wireless, but not Wi-Fi." "Let's have entirely different implementations for each." Pathetic.
Well obviously tiers are out of the question because that's fucking stupid for in-game, and not only would Gamefreak not care but the CHILDREN that play this game aren't going to know one way or the other.

If they are going to want to implement leaderboards that aren't purely person, they are going to make sure that the team that implements it AT LEAST checks for 255 EVs in every stat and shit like Spiritomb, and banning ubers isn't too far out of the question. We've never had online leaderboards so far so our judgement shouldn't be based purely on Wi-Fi, where the results were only hosted on your own DS.

edit: For example, you can't export any battle videos with illegal EVs and and abilities. While a small step forward, that is a step nonetheless.

It's a shame that Random WiFi will simply be a disaster. If they don't apply Battle Tower rules, then it will be an Uber-spamming fest. And if they do apply Battle Tower rules, then we'll have to battle shit like Garchomp, Soul Dew Latios & Latias plus whatever new broken Pokemon they decide to create. Honestly, it was nice of them to implement Random WiFi, but without any restrictions it will simply be a disaster.

It's a shame that Random WiFi will simply be a disaster. If they don't apply Battle Tower rules, then it will be an Uber-spamming fest. And if they do apply Battle Tower rules, then we'll have to battle shit like Garchomp, Soul Dew Latios & Latias plus whatever new broken Pokemon they decide to create. Honestly, it was nice of them to implement Random WiFi, but without any restrictions it will simply be a disaster.
Implementing Battle Tower rules is almost certainly the lesser of two evils. I don't even know why you're conflicted about no restrictions vs. Battle Tower restrictions.

Oh and don't forget Wobbuffett!

Mmm, I can practically hear all those DSi's being thrown against walls...

With the rise of 3v3 battles does anyone else foresee a high usage of trapping Pokemon? Using Magneton or Dugtrio to guarantee a 'gank' on specific Pokemon. This is of course the 'standard' Triple battles uses switches. (or even exists)

You can't use Soul Dew on Lati@s in the Battle Frontier. Banning Celebi, Jirachi, and Shaymin while letting Lati@s, Garchomp, and Wobbufet in might be a problem, but I've found them relatively uncommon or easy to defeat on PBR so I'd imagine it would be similar on Random Wi-Fi.

Edit: There's barely any switches in 2v2 so I doubt there will be many in 3v3.

You can't use Soul Dew on Lati@s in the Battle Frontier. Banning Celebi, Jirachi, and Shaymin while letting Lati@s, Garchomp, and Wobbufet in might be a problem, but I've found them relatively uncommon or easy to defeat on PBR so I'd imagine it would be similar on Random Wi-Fi.

Edit: There's barely any switches in 2v2 so I doubt there will be many in 3v3.
Yeah the switch gets less and less the more pokemon are in-field b/c somewhere in the field you have something to counter another thing , or to defend , etc.(i.e If someone has a scizor in-field , he should have someone with Flash Fire or a Water type in-field too)and with the ability to move the pokemon from area to area that's good too.(example : I have my Scizor on the far right and Im predicting a flamethrower from the foe so before he attacks , I switch my Heatran with scizor's place , and the same applies to Volt and Water Absorb(s))

But then again that's if you can move at the beggining of the turn not at the end or whatever(It's most prolly gna be at the beggining of the turn)

My point is there will HARDLY any switches in 3v3 and I'm pretty sure it's going to be less than 2v2.

This has a grain of truth to it, but as someone who plays double battles almost exclusively, I can tell you that it's not quite accurate. Garchomp may not have been seen much in this latest VGC, but that's because he didn't fit well into the game that the Ubers created.

Garchomp, in general, is a complete beast in doubles. It's much more powerful than the average fully-evolved Pokémon. Fast, powerful, STAB Earthquakes and great type coverage are nothing to sneeze at, and they're a relatively rare commodity. Its 102 base Speed helps just as much in doubles as in singles, and with a Yache Berry it can do some major damage before going down.

The game is more balanced for doubles, but only if you take out a lot of Pokémon. If you allow Kyogre, for example, the whole metagame is always huge rain-fest. That's not what I would call balanced.
Touche. Of course, meticulously balanced does not necessarily mean perfectly balanced... and if the game was perfectly balanced, prediction would be pointless, but that's another question altogether. Also, Garchomp may still be a beast, but he's not nearly as likely to single handedly sweep a team.

Kyogre, on the other hand, is a fair point, but the super-legendaries have always been unbalanced, which is part of what makes them so much fun for younger players (myself included, though I'm not actually younger). That's the reason why in many multi-player modes they are restricted.

Some of the 3v3 mechanics may be lost in translation. I think it'll make more sense once the Japanese version comes out...

Just the description of the mechanics for 3v3 gives me a headache. Actually trying to calculate damage should be a nightmare.
Actually, it doesn't seem that complicated (except for yeah, maybe damage calculation). You can't hit the Pokemon diagonally to the Pokemon on the opponent's team. Pokemon in the center can hit all Pokemon. If your Pokemon is on the right, then you can't hit their Pokemon on the left (your left) with that Pokemon. Not sure if that counts for moves that hit all Pokemon or just you can't target it specifically, though.

I like the Move mechanic, though I guess it's pretty basic.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The real question regarding the Move command, as someone pointed out earlier, is when it happens. If it happens at the beginning or middle of the turn, do moves that were targeting your Poémon still target them if possible, or do they target the same spots? If they target the same spots, then you're kind of getting two switches at once.

Also, can you only trade places with adjacent Pokémon?

The real question regarding the Move command, as someone pointed out earlier, is when it happens. If it happens at the beginning or middle of the turn, do moves that were targeting your Poémon still target them if possible, or do they target the same spots? If they target the same spots, then you're kind of getting two switches at once.

It would be really gay if moving the pokemon would be considered an attack , as in attack or move.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
And for that, those two pokémon won't use any attacks on that turn. You can see the Move option is on the attack selection screen.

So, it's a fair deal. I guess.

This. There are all sorts of unanswered questions. If the Move command doesn't change the opponent's target position, which I somehow doubt it will, 3v3 will be pure chaos. Not that it wasn't already.

And yeah, thinking about the weird damage calcs, the possibilty of Move, considering Moving your own pokemon, speed priority for six separate monsters, on top of, y'know, strategy, is gonna be a handful.

It would be really gay if moving the pokemon would be considered an attack , as in attack or move.
If you could Move and attack in the same turn, what would be the point of limiting your target Pokemon?

I always assumed the option to move would be used instead of attacking for that turn, so it's kinda like switching in singles.
Ditto, except for I expect that it will only use up the attacks of one of the Pokemon, so that you get two switches at the cost of only one attack. Given the fast nature of 3v3, it would have to be either that or no attack loss at all, or moving would be as bad a move (no pun intended) as switching quite often is in 2v2.

Also, will you be able to switch your Pokemon in 2v2 as well?

I just had a funny idea. You know how in the First Movie Mewtwo captured and used Pokemon in order to divide humans and Pokemon?

What if N is secretly a Pokemon? Haha!

I just had a funny idea. You know how in the First Movie Mewtwo captured and used Pokemon in order to divide humans and Pokemon?

What if N is secretly a Pokemon? Haha!
N is secretly a Zoroark in disguise, that's why he wants to free the pokemon! Think about it...phantom champion Z... a Z is just an N on its side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)