Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized in that original shot with Cheren in the messed up room that the green "thing" is that girl Bell!

I guess this means if you pick Black, White will not be in the game (as a rival at least)

Kind of upset about the renaming of routes. I mean, Pidgey's probably going to be "from Kanto" but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
but it was broke, did you really want routes going all the way up to the 200s just to keep up with some tradition started 10 years ago? They had to restart it some time anyway, I couldn't imagine having route 1024 or something way down the line, and since this region is "far away" from the rest it only makes sense that they do it now.

but it was broke, did you really want routes going all the way up to the 200s just to keep up with some tradition started 10 years ago? They had to restart it some time anyway, I couldn't imagine having route 1024 or something way down the line, and since this region is "far away" from the rest it only makes sense that they do it now.
There's still like 60 routes from where Johto left off

Another 80 or 70 From where Hoenn left off

Plenty of filler.

I must be the only one who likes the imagination and lack of "logic" in Gamefreak's design of Pokemon.
I know if it were up to some people we would never get an octopus that can learn Flamethrower or a fire chimp that can trip foes with vines.
I just think it's nice that things are not always what you'd expect and that there's an element of surprise.

As for tiering, GF has people who play the game and decide how to balance the battle system in-game and otherwise.
There'll always be people who don't like some decisions just as there are people who voted in the minority against decisions Smogon eventually made.
GF not doing what you want does not mean they have no idea what they're doing according to their own aims.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone translated that poison-type move in Tsutaja's movepool?
I think it's a new move. The characters don't correspond to any Poison-type move we have now. I think the first two characters, togu, mean 'to sharpen', so it could be Claw Sharpen. It's hard to make out the fourth and fifth characters.

EDIT: Nope, it's not Claw Sharpen. Bulbapedia has its characters and they don't match.

EDIT EDIT: The other three moves it has are Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, and Wring Out, if you're interested. Here's hoping Wring Out gets a bit of an upgrade this gen.

EDIT x3: I think the fourth character is wo. So it seems to read 'toguru wo maku'. So, 'to sprinkle or sow something' or 'to coil or wind something'.

What will happen when B&W is released?

I mean the metagame.
All the new Pokémon must be assigned a tier and many old Pokémon need to be reviewed for new moves and possibly have their tiers changed.

How long would this take? What do we do meanwhile (apart from playing the actual games)?

I wasn't around in the gen3 to gen4 transition so I wanted to know.

I'd like to know too. I wasn't in the competitive scene when the 3rd Gen to 4th Gen transition was happening. Do you single out obviously broken Pokemon and play a game where everything is allowed? What is the baseline of "obviously broken"?

that green-tusk pokemon is going to look very interesting when it starts to evolve.. i definitely feel its going to be a dominant force though.

that green-tusk pokemon is going to look very interesting when it starts to evolve.. i definitely feel its going to be a dominant force though.
I always thought it would be Ononokusu. The tusks certainly match up and they both look like they could be pseudo-legends.

I don't see why there's been so little talk about Kibago the past two days.
It's a freaking Dragon with Mold Breaker!
He better learn Earthquake...

I'd like to know too. I wasn't in the competitive scene when the 3rd Gen to 4th Gen transition was happening. Do you single out obviously broken Pokemon and play a game where everything is allowed? What is the baseline of "obviously broken"?
I'd imagine that 5th gen will start with all non-legendaries and legendaries with BST below 600 allowed, and legendaries with 670+ BST are probably banned, unless they're like Regigigas. 600 BST generally get evaluated case-by-case. Mew, Darkrai, and Deoxys are likely to remain in Ubers, but the others are up for grabs, and any new 600 BSTs will have to be evalutated. Hopefully the OU list will be as inclusive as is reasonable.

Oh, it's possible Wobb and maybe even Wynaut will start out banned, but as we all know, they're kind of an exception to, well, everything.

Yeah, I mean considering the fact that there was ONLY about 4 or 5 pages on him yesterday...

But yeah, I'm actually one of the people who believes a theory for once. I do believe Kibago evolves into Ononokusu, despite the fact that he doesn't look like much of a dragon, since the tusk things on Kibago look like they'll become the axes on Ononokusu's head. Underneath his armor looks like the same color scheme as Kibago, as well. The only way I see this as wrong is if Corocoro/the actual game introduces them as seperate pokemon.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah thats just what we need, a pseudo-legend with mold breaker.

Name one pseudo-legend that doesn't get Earthquake.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Although it seems likely that Kibago will eventually evolve into Ononokusu, the fact that it has two possible abilities means that it's less likely that Ononokusu is a pseudo-legendary Pokémon (with 600 BST).

Yeah thats just what we need, a pseudo-legend with mold breaker.

Name one pseudo-legend that doesn't get Earthquake.
Alot of pokemon get Earthquake, I think nearly all of the starter's evovled forms gets it (I think except Meganium)

Anyway, I want more than 1 psuedo legend.
It would be great to kill people with broken pokemon for the first 10 minutes. And then after that people can ban it :)
I just hope that the banning will take a shorter time than banning Garchomp
I guarentee you that there will be one broken non-legend this time round

I think it's a new move. The characters don't correspond to any Poison-type move we have now. I think the first two characters, togu, mean 'to sharpen', so it could be Claw Sharpen. It's hard to make out the fourth and fifth characters.

EDIT: Nope, it's not Claw Sharpen. Bulbapedia has its characters and they don't match.

EDIT EDIT: The other three moves it has are Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, and Wring Out, if you're interested. Here's hoping Wring Out gets a bit of an upgrade this gen.

EDIT x3: I think the fourth character is wo. So it seems to read 'toguru wo maku'. So, 'to sprinkle or sow something' or 'to coil or wind something'.
This was discussed pages back and it was pretty much agreed that it was most likely doku_ _ _ _ (Poison + something illegible)

Although it seems likely that Kibago will eventually evolve into Ononokusu, the fact that it has two possible abilities means that it's less likely that Ononokusu is a pseudo-legendary Pokémon (with 600 BST).
I hope this is the case. I'd personally love more non-pseudo dragon types (and more non-dragon type pseudos). I could see it being along the lines of Aggron, being available fairly early in the game with a similar BST (Aggron has 530, so around there probably). hopefully we get more than one pseudo this gen; we seem to be getting a gen full of new Pokemon (like in gen 3), so I think 2 pseudo legendaries might be likely. regardless, I hope it's not a reptile/dragon looking thing. some sort of sea creature would be cool, if you ask me.

also, I think something like this could make a pretty good Water/Ghost type Pokemon.

Alot of pokemon get Earthquake, I think nearly all of the starter's evovled forms gets it (I think except Meganium)

Anyway, I want more than 1 psuedo legend.
It would be great to kill people with broken pokemon for the first 10 minutes. And then after that people can ban it :)
I just hope that the banning will take a shorter time than banning Garchomp
I guarentee you that there will be one broken non-legend this time round
Meganium gets EQ.

Hey I just thought of something - the Abilities Plus and Minus will be a lot better in tripple battles. Say you have one Pokemon with Plus and two with Minus: at the very least both of the Pokemon with Minus should get 50% boost in Special Defense. The interesting question is whether the two Minuses will stack, i.e., will the Pokemon will Plus get two 50% boosts in Special Attack. This would be more than a + 2 Boost, it would be a 2.25 boost (1.5 * 1.5 * Original Special Attack). Plusle with 663 Special Attack (605 if Timid) before LO or Specs sounds pretty dangerous. And if we're lucky Gear will evolve and keep those abilities, giving us a better Pokemon (or at least a greater variety of Pokemon) to execute this strategy.

Also I've been looking over some of the old Pre-release pictures and I'm starting to think Hihidaruma is NFE. On its own it looks pretty big and intimidating, but it's only like 4 ' 3 " tall! You'd think a big flaming gorilla would be at least 6 feet tall. Also it's pretty light, and in the triple battle picture where it appears with the mole and the Zebra, its Sprite is rather small (though this could just be because of the camera, but it's still about the same size as the two other NFEs).

This has been on my mind for a few hours now.

Everybody knows who or what Wooguru is. Now its ability is Encourage which increases his attacks but stops secondary effects. Now the question is recharging for a move like Giga Impact thats a secondary effect isnt it?

This is the description for Giga Impact

The user charges at the foe using every bit of its power. The user must rest on the next turn.

Plus on Serebii they count the recharging for a secondary effect but Im not too sure that it is true because Serebii don't have everything right such as they don't have Flare Blitz able to burn.

Hey I just thought of something - the Abilities Plus and Minus will be a lot better in tripple battles. Say you have one Pokemon with Plus and two with Minus: at the very least both of the Pokemon with Minus should get 50% boost in Special Defense. The interesting question is whether the two Minuses will stack, i.e., will the Pokemon will Plus get two 50% boosts in Special Attack. This would be more than a + 2 Boost, it would be a 2.25 boost (1.5 * 1.5 * Original Special Attack). Plusle with 663 Special Attack (605 if Timid) before LO or Specs sounds pretty dangerous. And if we're lucky Gear will evolve and keep those abilities, giving us a better Pokemon (or at least a greater variety of Pokemon) to execute this strategy.
The main problem with this is Plusle is extremely frail and it can't hit multiple targets at once. This means Gear will need to be a decent attacking/supporting force (other than Plus/Minus) to make sure the opponent doesn't focus all three Pokemon on killing Plusle. It would be interesting if Gear gets Reflect/Light Screen, then you can use Protect with Plusle and set up a screen with the two other Pokemon.

EDIT: @ KillaCress: I'm pretty sure additional effects like status and secondary status (confusion, infatuation, etc) are the only things Encourage negates as far as side effects go.

Pokebeach said:
One of its abilities is Keen Eye and the other is Encourage, which boosts the power of its attacks but prevents any secondary effects such as Poisoning or Burning

The main problem with this is Plusle is extremely frail and it can't hit multiple targets at once. This means Gear will need to be a decent attacking/supporting force (other than Plus/Minus) to make sure the opponent doesn't focus all three Pokemon on killing Plusle. It would be interesting if Gear gets Reflect/Light Screen, then you can use Protect with Plusle and set up a screen with the two other Pokemon.
Plusle does get Discharge, which wouldn't do as much to your teammates with the 50% boost in Special Defense. Anyway, if using just Plusle and Minun I agree this is quite gimmicky, but if Gear('s evolution) is somewhat decent this could be a pretty good strategy.

Plusle does get Discharge, which wouldn't do as much to your teammates with the 50% boost in Special Defense. Anyway, if using just Plusle and Minun I agree this is quite gimmicky, but if Gear('s evolution) is somewhat decent this could be a pretty good strategy.
Ahh that's true, egg move in HGSS, which is why I didn't even realize it xP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)