Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

(aren't BD/SP being outsourced to another studio?)
Yes it is.
New ultimate forms for Dialga and Palkia are the only new thing that I expect from these remakes.
I don't feel like they will do a new form for Dialga and Palkia, mainly due to the difficulty in portraying what they are in charge of. Primal Groudon could easily become a volcano, and Primal Kyogre easily became more sea-like. How would you portray the mastery of time through a different form? The mastery of space? Though I do think that they will add something interesting, whether it be Megas again or something else. I would also enjoy seeing Dynamax, and I won't go over why but I think it's a cool thing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(Reads the new responses)

... So it's now okay to be criticizing the game for being a 1:1 remake of DP? Would like to know exactly what happened between the reveal trailer (when I expressed the same criticism from the 1:1 map design & same character designs yet got dogpiled for it) and now which they only revealed the release date which you can't really judge anything on.

No, I'm not bitter... actually, f that, yes, I'm VERY bitter.

... So it's now okay to be criticizing the game for being a 1:1 remake of DP? Would like to know exactly what happened between the reveal trailer (when I expressed the same criticism from the 1:1 map design & same character designs yet got dogpiled for it) and now which they only revealed the release date which you can't really judge anything on.

I mean i don't feel like picking out each and every single person who compaliend about it today and comparing it to what they said 3 months ago but at a glance it feels about the same level just not as heated, probably because there's not as many eyes on it all at once.

Looks like BDSP is single player only and no online multiplayer

For comparison, here's pokemon Sword that has Online battling

Apparently competitive battling will not be in BDSP, but what about trading? and Trade Evolution? or this is just placeholder?
Wouldn’t make any sense since that would mean trading wouldn’t be in the game, and we all know that trading is required in order to complete the Pokédex.

The Japanese site has it saying up to 4 players (with PLA at 1 player)
That's how it's gonna likely be.
1622081487455.png

https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000039949.html

The japanese site also mentions "1 player".

But now that I think of it... didn't the reveal trailer show the Union Room? Why would there be a Union Room without multiplayer?

As a reference, all the 3DS games show the "Up to 4 players" description, whereas Let's Go only shows "Up to 2 players". The Virtual Console entries show "1 player".

Last edited:
https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000039949.html

The japanese site also mentions "1 player".

But now that I think of it... didn't the reveal trailer show the Union Room? Why would there be a Union Room without multiplayer?

As a reference, all the 3DS games show the "Up to 4 players" description, whereas Let's Go only shows "Up to 2 players". The Virtual Console entries show "1 player".
Seems to just be referring to the playthrough. The actual Japanese Pokemon page clarifies for BDSP:

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/bdsp/

プレイ人数1人(対戦・交換など:2人~4人)
Google translate: "Number of people
1 person (consultation and exchange: 2~4 people)"

Legends does not have the same clarification.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really doubt they'd do a split version without trading. You'd either have two games and be unable to complete the Pokédex in any of them, or two games where you'd be able to independently complete the Pokédex, in which case having two versions is pointless.

Trading is pretty much the whole point of Pokémon. Making a pair of games without it would be kinda stupid.

I don't really have high hopes for these remakes even if Game Freak isn't developing it, it still has Masuda on board which in modern times especially doesn't resonate well with me.
I hardly recall any Pokemon games I like where Masuda was directing. Perhaps Black and White, but my opinion of these games became worse in how restrictive they were in terms of exploration.

Btw, what is with these box arts lately? SwSh is bland and Legends: Arceus doesn't speak to me either. But these remakes, despite the legendaries being in dynamic poses and being the center look pretty cheap.
Likely because they use 3D Models with a boring black background.

Btw, what is with these box arts lately? SwSh is bland and Legends: Arceus doesn't speak to me either. But these remakes, despite the legendaries being in dynamic poses and being the center look pretty cheap.
Likely because they use 3D Models with a boring black background.
But... doesn't like, every box art just have (insert legendary/starter final evo here) on it with a background? And the background isn't too detailed in any of them.

But... doesn't like, every box art just have (insert legendary/starter final evo here) on it with a background? And the background isn't too detailed in any of them.
It just looks way worse when it's on the taller, skinnier cases.
They also had more visually complimentary backgrounds.

There's just something way duller about the SWSH & BDSP boxarts compared with their predecessors. I was going to say all the switch paired games but actually Let's Go's boxes were pretty good. Nice art, good framing, nice posing, and a pleasant background.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

There's just something way duller about the SWSH & BDSP boxarts compared with their predecessors. I was going to say all the switch paired games but actually Let's Go's boxes were pretty good. Nice art, good framing, nice posing, and a pleasant background.
If they're going to focus on one Pokemon they should really hire one of the TCG artists to do the cover art, at the very least they would be put into a more dynamic pose.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

I'm starting to wonder if it's the background colour. The other games have the background of the cover art absolutely drenched in the "thematic colour" of the game. The BDSP backgrounds are black, with all the colour radiating from the Pokémon themselves. Other than the Pokémon, the covers are relatively anonymous.

Another point, but a very minor one, is that the Pokémon don't make eye contact with the "camera". The other games have the box mascots looking menacingly at the camera (or in the case of BW, looking stoically ahead), while Dialga and Palkia on BDSP's covers appear to have their attention directed elsewhere. I'm not sure how important this is, but once you notice it looks like they are howling as if they stepped on Lego bricks, it is a little distracting.

New info about the games, great!

…except it is not really any new info, just a release date and cover art for the games. Oh well. Better than nothing, I suppose.

First, the release date. November 19th. A Friday in November, the usual standard. I hadn’t expected anything else. It is also another true worldwide release, which is great. It is about half a year left until the release, and that works for me. Though the odds that I will get SP on the release date (if I get it at all) are pretty low at the moment so it doesn’t really matter all that much to me.

As for the cover arts, I agree with most others in that they aren’t all that interesting. Being able to see details like their tongues or Palkia’s feathers (didn’t even know it had feathers) is cool, but if you can’t see these details unless you zoom in to the extremes, they don’t really matter. When it comes to cover arts like this, I’d rather look at the whole picture than just the details. I also think their poses are a bit weird. Not to mention the fact that I think that these covers look especially boring compared to the great box art for L:A (more about that in its own thread). And at the risk of sounding too negative, I honestly like the covers for S/S better than the covers for BD/SP.

Regarding Masuda and his involvement with the games, I don’t really mind. From what I can find, he has been the Director for R/S, FR/LG, B/W and X/Y. Those are all good games IMO, so I am not super worried. But at the same time, it is hard to know exactly who does what in every game. Who is behind all the bad things and should be criticized for them, and who is behind all the good stuff and should be praised for that? I don’t know so I’ll just stop here.

Back to some more general stuff. It has been three months since these games were first announced, and during that time, I have been thinking about them a fair bit. Should I get SP or not? If I were to make my decision solely based on the little info we have gotten so far, I will not get it. What they have shown so far has not been enough to convince me that the game is worth getting. It doesn’t seem to be all that different from the original D/P, and seeing as I have already played through both them and Platinum, a new version of Sinnoh with minor differences (if even that) doesn’t feel very interesting to me. That said, I am willing to give them a chance. I’ll keep looking at more pre-release info to see what is shown, hoping they will show something really cool. Interestingly, this will be the complete opposite compared to how I did for S/S. For them, I looked into as little pre-release info as possible in order to not get spoiled. Here, I will have to look into as much as possible just to see if SP is worth getting at all.

I really wonder if these games will add something new to the original Sinnoh games. All previous remakes added at least something new to their originals, will BD/SP do the same? Since they haven’t really shown anything new so far, I feel that there are two alternatives: Either they won’t be adding anything new and therefore they have nothing new to show, or they will add something new but they are waiting with it in order to make a big announcement for it (or something). Personally, I really need something new in order to get the most out of SP, otherwise I can just stick to my original Sinnoh games.

I also feel that after playing Sword, I feel sort of satisfied with Pokémon on the Switch. Despite Sword not being everything it could have been, everything I wanted it to be or everything it should have been, I still liked it a lot and had a ton of fun with it. And the DLC just made it even better. After recently having gone back to it once more, I still find it fun to play and I still like it. Plus, there are several things left to do in Sword that I haven’t done yet, so if I want more out of Pokémon on the Switch, I can just stick to Sword, there’s no direct “need” for me to get SP. In addition to that, there are also a ton of other Switch games I am interested in. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get any more new Switch games after I got Three Houses last year. There are many other Switch games I am interested in which I don’t have yet. Plus, I still haven’t finished XC2 and I have planned to play through Three Houses a second time as well once I am done with XC2. All in all, the whole idea of taking a longer break from Pokémon and focusing on other games instead just feels more and more appealing.

I have a lot of questions and concerns about these games, not sure if I should write them down and then post them here. I am a little unsure about if it is allowed, so I’ll skip it for now.

Overall, I’m definitely not sold on getting SP yet. I’ll wait for more pre-release info before making my final decision, but going purely on what little we know so far, there’s a big chance I’ll skip it and just wait for Gen 9 instead.

Last edited:

Bringign out the original DP box, which I think the black background and shining legends is meant to call back to:
1. Like I said before the dimensions of the box do matter a lot. A Small square can help break up negative space more easily. We got hte main pokemon, some logos scattered at the feet, and then the title up in the corner without covering up the pokemon.
2. The background stands out more. We have a black background but with some "glistening" aspect (the cover was "holographic" iirc) and of course the shining light that breaks up all the black.
3. Well...the 2D artwork i nthis case....despite being a static pose (& honestly, it is dull), it doesnt look awkward.

Meanwhile
1. The taller box means things have to be rearranged and shrunk down. Your eyes on tall cases are drawn up, which makes sense, but it means there's less place to cover things up so especially o nthe Palkia box you jsut got this wide amoutn of space. It feels so empty.
2. The background tries to do the same thing the original does but because the pokemon takes up more of the box in an akward manner, the stuff around the heads just doesnt get broken up enough. not helped by the "glow" in the background matching the primary colors. The "shine" effects from their gems also just kinda feels tacky.
3. They're in a more dynamic pose but the 3D feels kind of cheap tbh. Even though there's clearly a lot of care & detail put into them. Sorry to say but I don't think the DP box duo really carries a lot of majesty or terror about them

For what it's worth I think the "double pack" does look a bit better. They're just stacked on each other but they help balance each other out and fill up more of the space. Still not great (though by far & away the best of these "double pack" arts because it's not just stacking the 2 game covers on top of or next to each other)

Something I've noticed is that since USUM, each of the new games has been including a handful of new Pokemon, likely as a way to make players more enticed to buy them. This also happened in the Sword & Shield Expansion packs. I'm wondering if we'll see a new reveal happen for these games as well.

I like the new 3D renders of Dialga and Palkia. Not a fan of Palkia's pose though (Dialga's looks fine). It is interesting how faithful they are staying to the original game with the character designs (this includes the Pokemon). I mean, it makes sense since HGSS and FRLG were also faithful with their designs, but I would have liked something a bit more new like ORAS.
3. They're in a more dynamic pose but the 3D feels kind of cheap tbh. Even though there's clearly a lot of care & detail put into them. Sorry to say but I don't think the DP box duo really carries a lot of majesty or terror about them
Maybe its because Diamond was my first Pokemon games, but Dialga & Palkia are the most "stereotypical" legendaries. Back when I didn't know much about Pokemon, my impression of a legendary Pokemon was a dragon-like creature with a "glowing orb" somewhere on their body. So while it doesn't look majestic, it does seem distinct to specifically Pokemon.

Another point, but a very minor one, is that the Pokémon don't make eye contact with the "camera". The other games have the box mascots looking menacingly at the camera (or in the case of BW, looking stoically ahead), while Dialga and Palkia on BDSP's covers appear to have their attention directed elsewhere.
What are you on about
Japanese Green
American Blue
Silver
Crystal
Emerald
Platinum
Black 2
Let's Go Pikachu
Let's Go Eevee
Japanese Red
Japanese Blue
American Red
Yellow
Gold
Fire Red
Leaf Green
Diamond
Pearl

Heart Gold
Soul Silver
Black
White
White 2
X
Y
Omega Ruby
Sun
Moon
Ultra Sun
Ultra Moon
Sword
Shield
Ruby
Sapphire
Alpha Sapphire

Most of the box art Pokemon don't make eye contact with the viewer, not even Dialga and Palkia on the original Diamond and Pearl boxes.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Maybe its because Diamond was my first Pokemon games, but Dialga & Palkia are the most "stereotypical" legendaries. Back when I didn't know much about Pokemon, my impression of a legendary Pokemon was a dragon-like creature with a "glowing orb" somewhere on their body. So while it doesn't look majestic, it does seem distinct to specifically Pokemon.
Hm, actually I would say that Dialga and Palkia are quite unique. The most stereotypical mascot Legendaries I think would be either Gen III (a behemoth, whale-variant of the leviathan, and an Asian dragon) or V (despite Zekrom's mechanical look, it still looks like a typical European dragon while Reshiram is a wyvern that's a fire dragon). Both Dialga and Palkia are more based on dinosaurs and they're gods of time and space which gives them an extra layer of depth to them. Only thing really typical about them are Stats and Ability.

Something I've noticed is that since USUM, each of the new games has been including a handful of new Pokemon, likely as a way to make players more enticed to buy them. This also happened in the Sword & Shield Expansion packs. I'm wondering if we'll see a new reveal happen for these games as well.

I like the new 3D renders of Dialga and Palkia. Not a fan of Palkia's pose though (Dialga's looks fine). It is interesting how faithful they are staying to the original game with the character designs (this includes the Pokemon). I mean, it makes sense since HGSS and FRLG were also faithful with their designs, but I would have liked something a bit more new like ORAS.

I believe that they mentioned the reason why so many Legendary Pokémon got Dragon type is because Dragon was once considered the “ strongest “ type. Which is certainly was the case during 4 and 5 with Dragon Spam. Bear in mind VGC only started with Gen 4, and Smogon does not exist in GF’s eyes. And VGC only really became documented after the years of 12 and 13, it’s probably safe to say that they didn’t take competitive play into consideration until BW.

Back on topic: I like the textures of both Dialga and Palkia. It kind of looks like the live actions models from Detective Pikachu. I’m kind of why they rendered them that way though, since the official artwork of Dialga and Palkia lack such detail and models in-game look identical to the other 3DS titles.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.

I mean, it has been a couple months since the last time this thread was open. Opinions change, especially when it's about an unreleased game and information is scarce. Personally, I've always been a little worried about the remake potentially not changing enough, but I'm getting more worried as time goes on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)