Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

I don't care much for the chibi style, but it seems like a Link's Awakening approach was the most logical thing to do---easier than recreating everything in SwSh style, and it keeps it distinct from Let's Go's style too. It was probably decided it would be too confusing for causal comsumers/parents if it looked like Let's Go but had traditional battles.

I never played Platinum and my play through of Pearl was marred by the limitations of the time, namely TMs and evolution items being too awesome to use, such that my team just felt like filler replacements for the mons I actually wanted to use. So, I may consider getting this, but I guess it will depend on how much is different from the originals. If it's just quality of life stuff, then I could just dig out my old DS and restart that game if I really wanted to play it again.

Also very curious to find out whether it connects with Home or Switch. If the transfer is one-way, then RIP my idea of sending over a low-level Darkrai from GO to use in a playthrough :P

At the very least, though, I would hope they still release a patch for SwSh to add the rest of the missing mons there.

Yeah, this. And I think I know why. Sprites are drawn so the faces of characters face the camera, and when a character faces east or west, you will see half their face in silhouette. Take this sprite of a Worker, for instance:

However, this is more difficult to achieve with a 3D model, as it would look like the character was craning their neck backwards to look up at the camera. A 3D model character looking straight ahead would not look at the camera, but at a point far below it. Most of what you see from the camera's perspective would be, well ...

The top of their head. A big helmet, with the body in barely visible detail below.

I think that's where this art style struggles a little. Even with the big Chibi heads, you don't see the faces of characters, only their hats and hair. Just look through the screenshots on the official page: It looks like you'll be staring into hats quite a lot. If you play as Lucas, he'll mostly be a big red dot with some running feet below. Dawn is, similarly, a white dot above some hair:

Sprites could do "tricks" with perspective that 3D models can't without looking awkward. It's the Golem issue all over again. I don't think it will make the games bad, but it is a bit distracting once you notice it.

So is Glameow, for the first time since the actual Gen IV.
To make a similar note, I know at least A Link Between Worlds got around this by having the model lean comically backwards. It doesn't come off as weird when playing because of the fixed camera.

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Yo, I'm indifferent about the chibi art style, but i guess it's fine for now, guess i understand what they meant by being "faithful" to the original games.
Chibi Cynthia does in fact look cute ngl.
I hope if it's gonna be the exact same copy that they have the same difficulty levels, and they have post-game like the Battle Frontier that shoulda been in ORAS too. also it better be slow just like the original diamond and pearl games jk.
If there is gonna be DLC in this remake it might as well have Distortion World, but we may never know. I'm at least happy that DP remakes are back, but yo, the titles and the font art style are weird. BRILLIANT DIAMOND??? SHINING PEARL??? WTF and ofc the font of the titles are the same as the originals.
It also looks like there might be no Dynamax which tbh, im kinda relieved.
But anyways, that's my take, I'm looking forward to more info about the remakes, I'm not gonna lie, I'm still nervous...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes.
So it's not a 1:1 remake.

Forced Exp. Share would be extremely disappointing, but there's some interesting stuff regarding QoL between OG DP and now. For example, reusable TMs.

I might as well drop a PSA for those who believe the Frontier could make a return... Don't.

Historically, the Battle Frontier appeared in three games. Emerald, Platinum, and HGSS.

Let's address the context here.

First, Emerald and Platinum were third versions. That means the bulk of the legwork regarding developing a whole region from scratch was already done. There were several expansions and adjustments, but nothing that would warrant a full game dev cycle. Therefore, they had a surplus that could be directed to the Frontier, and it's no small work to add and test the Frontier to a game.

Second, the one remake that did have a Frontier, HGSS, which was in-fact done from scratch because there was no way they'd be able to reuse GBC content... simply ported Plat's Frontier, which brings me to my third point.

ORAS.

ORAS was also a remake from scratch. What happened to its post-game? It got a port of the facility introduced in the previous game. The difference being that there was no Frontier in the previous game, so random french facility it is.

So, what can we infer from this? DP Remakes will NOT have the Frontier. We're getting a Battle Tower with Palmer. That's it.

Unless there is DLC for this game, do not hold out hope for that. And even then, the chances are slim.

Doesn't look to me like there's anything in particular on the accents. So we're less likely to get a new flashy mechanic.
The handakuten? Yeah im pretty sure they are actually following through with "dynamax is galar only" bit since theres no dynamax (or dynamaz bracelet I guess) symbol on it

If they are not going to include Platinum's Battle Frontier, at least I hope they don't include a tease like in ORAS, which I think was what really made many mad - not that they didn't do it, but by showing that they could have.

In terms of the extra mechanics they mention, I'm expecting the Mobile PC so that I can play with a party of at least 14 Pokémon.

By the way, I just noticed the artwork style is different this time, in a pseudo-3D style. It's possible the outsourced team had a hand in this, as Legends's artworks are more conventional.

Last edited:
Yo, I'm indifferent about the chibi art style, but i guess it's fine for now, guess i understand what they meant by being "faithful" to the original games.
Chibi Cynthia does in fact look cute ngl.
I hope if it's gonna be the exact same copy that they have the same difficulty levels, and they have post-game like the Battle Frontier that shoulda been in ORAS too. also it better be slow just like the original diamond and pearl games jk.
If there is gonna be DLC in this remake it might as well have Distortion World, but we may never know. I'm at least happy that DP remakes are back, but yo, the titles and the font art style are weird. BRILLIANT DIAMOND??? SHINING PEARL??? WTF and ofc the font of the titles are the same as the originals.
But anyways, that's my take, I'm looking forward to more info about the remakes, I'm not gonna lie, I'm still nervous...
So, your take in a remake of a game that we all played in 2007 is to expect the Distortion World as a purchaseable DLC, and the very thought of that does not enfuriate you at all, but it's seen as "normal", as "I hope we get Distortion World as a DLC". This is exactly the reason why Pokémon has lost so much potential in recent years.

Also, the fact that you are waiting or plain suggesting that a Battle Frontier is remotely possible, when the last Pokémon games are characterized by their extreme lack of content, when we don't even have a standard, proper Battle TOWER (not even Frontier, but just tower) in Sword and Shield, when they didn't include the Emerald Battle Frontier in ORAS because it was Emeralds, but they did include a Gen IV Battle Frontier in HG/SS when the originals didn't even had a Battle Tower to being with before Crystal, or the Pokéathlon, or they new legendary events added, or the rematch system, etc, etc.

Assume it right now. There's no intention of doing anything. Cero. Nothing. Nada. And they have been proving this to you for the past 7-8 years. It just hurts me to see some people blinded by Game Freak absolute lack of ambition, either because they are too young to identify or live what Pokémon was and how much potential it had, or because complaining (and with a reason) or critizing them is seeing as a hating attitude. That's why we are here. We should be expecting, at minimum, something like HG/SS. This is Pokémon, this is Switch. POKÉMON. It's not a minor franchise without resources. It's not about being a graphicwhore. It's just about having a minimal knowledge of what Pokémon should be or what you should expect from a company like Game Freak.

So, your take in a remake of a game that we all played in 2007 is to expect the Distortion World as a purchaseable DLC, and the very thought of that does not enfuriate you at all, but it's seen as "normal", as "I hope we get Distortion World as a DLC". This is exactly the reason why Pokémon has lost so much potential in recent years.

Also, the fact that you are waiting or plain suggesting that a Battle Frontier is remotely possible, when the last Pokémon games are characterized by their extreme lack of content, when we don't even have a standard, proper Battle TOWER (not even Frontier, but just tower) in Sword and Shield, when they didn't include the Emerald Battle Frontier in ORAS because it was Emeralds, but they did include a Gen IV Battle Frontier in HG/SS when the originals didn't even had a Battle Tower to being with before Crystal, or the Pokéathlon, or they new legendary events added, or the rematch system, etc, etc.

Assume it right now. There's no intention of doing anything. Cero. Nothing. Nada. And they have been proving this to you for the past 7-8 years. It just hurts me to see some people blinded by Game Freak absolute lack of ambition, either because they are too young to identify or live what Pokémon was and how much potential it had, or because complaining (and with a reason) or critizing them is seeing as a hating attitude. That's why we are here. We should be expecting, at minimum, something like HG/SS. This is Pokémon, this is Switch. POKÉMON. It's not a minor franchise without resources. It's not about being a graphicwhore. It's just about having a minimal knowledge of what Pokémon should be or what you should expect from a company like Game Freak.

In all fairness, after the tragedy that was sw/sh, this is like the door opening to the tomb of Christ. I mean, we’re coming out of a dark time here. Just like how at any other time, the Mandalorian would have been a pretty mediocre show, but it came out right after last jedi and rise of skywalker. They could port over a handful of 3ds models and palette-swap a mega Purugly into existence and it would still be the best Pokémon game we’ve gotten since 2016

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So it's not a 1:1 remake.

Forced Exp. Share would be extremely disappointing, but there's some interesting stuff regarding QoL between OG DP and now. For example, reusable TMs.
If the developers have any sort of sense of game design, I think they will include an off switch for Exp. Sharing, at the very least.

If we're allowed to be reasonably optimistic, I think the "conveniences" they're referring to is simply QoL stuff like multi-use TMs, a "hot button" for throwing Poké Balls, the "would you like to use another Repel?" prompt, Escape Rope being a Key Item, and, we may hope, an improvement of Sinnoh's over-extreme HM reliance.

So bad level scaling, boring pokemon designs, and no fundamental changes in anything that matters and hiding it with pretty graphics? Seems like we're halfway there
Every videogame is critizable in terms of inner design, HG/SS added a lot of enjoyable content. I'll not even look at the "boring Pokémon designs", not only is this purely subjective, but HG/SS didn't create new Pokémon designs, they were the actual Pokémon designs up to IV Gen, with some sprites better than others, and this will happen in every generation. But it had content. In fact, just the copypated Battle Frontier of Platinum alone, was a far greater postgame than everything Game Freak has done since XY. Simple as that. You may be as tendencious as you want to try to cover a complete lack of interest as clear as this, but it won't work.

It just hurts me to see some people blinded by Game Freak absolute lack of ambition,
Trust me, I was borderline unbearable with that exact criticism here ever since SwSh dropped.

Legends is the ambitious idea here, that's the one with all the crazy ideas. This remake is supposed to be all about nostalgia and fidelity. What I want out of this one is polish. The mere fact they passed DP (and Masuda to get him out of Legends lmao) to a third-party dev just to focus on what they really want to experiment with is the kind of ambition we haven't seen from GF in a long, long time.

We're essentially getting a DP Remake. There's room for some improvements, namely the Dex expansion. If they nail that we're in for a pretty good game. DP is seriously underrated as a base, and if they don't pull an ORAS and actually address the obvious issues DP had, we're talking about a game that can stand among the greats like Platinum itself. A third-party company, even with Masuda in the way, can bring the fresh blood this remake needs to succeed.

Based on the graphics and movement alone it seems to be more in line with the Let's Go games which tbh I wasn't exactly surprised. Not that its bad but considering what the originals look like and I can't imagine GF putting that much effort to turning Sinnoh's graphics to something similar to SWSH. What I AM surprised about is they decided to outsource to a company I never heard of this game even though Masuda is still involved (for better or worse). Honestly I was very worried about how they badly gonna butcher the games considering how SWSH is my least fave pokemon game and how DPPt has a special place in my heart as they were my first pokemon game. The thing is SWSH and DPPt are very different games due to being years apart especially from the mechanical sides so I'm not sure how exactly faithful it is to the originals. SWSH is one of the easier pokemon games due to the perma exp share while DPPt is one of the hardest even with the expanded dex so I'm not sure how they will handle the difficulty and the games have a loads of features and other little things that are just absent in SWSH. A far as what the trailer show... well its hard to know exactly how exactly much they're gonna put in Platinum content in it. Porygon-Z's appearance is a partial confirmation of including Platinum's dex but its a post game mon from the Trophy Garden in DP. The inclusion of Platinum dex wouldn't change the plot or most of the major boss fights so its possible to shove it in considering the the DP dex is very limited. I guess they could try to shoehorn Looker in as he shows up in every single generation except 8 so far and the story wouldn't change much but its unlikely. As for Giratina either it gets something ala the Delta episode or nothing at all. Whether the Battle Frontier could either have Tower only like in the originals or it includes the rest of the facilities is something time will tell. As for faithfulness to the original I hope the games games took on more from HGSS or at least ORAS where they include somethings from the third version. FRLG is very faithful to the original to the point where you can't evolve Golbat and Chansey until the post game and most of the main game improvements are the updated gen3 battle mechanics as HGSS includes elements from Crystal and ORAS at least has a nod to Emerald in the post game. One thing to note is that a lot of Sinnoh's feature utilizes the touch screen so I'm not sure how they're exactly gonna implement that on the switch so there will be some changes. As for features introduced in later gens well I can't exactly imagine them implementing d-max or raids (hopefully) as its role is very tied with Eternatus and Galar. Same with Z-moves with the Tapus and Alola. I can see them however shove in megas like they did in the lets go games as its not really tied to the lore in the gen6 games. Overall I'm hopeful that this game won't suck and it might redeem gen8 to me as a whole.

Wonder if tweaking and the void glitch returns??????
#bringbackacidrain
also since Unown is in DP dex will they undo movexit or they just give Unown something else?

Last edited:
HG/SS added a lot of enjoyable content.
Adding fun minigames isnt fixing fundamental game flaws that should be fixed when youre remaking something. The games not only suffer from the shit gen 4 engine but the fact johto is one of the regions with the least amount of polish on anything (even behind kalos and galar) and the remakes are just "but voltorb flip tho!!!!"

In fact, just the copypated Battle Frontier of Platinum alone, was a far greater postgame than everything Game Freak has done since XY.
Usum post content was way better imo.

Adding fun minigames isnt fixing fundamental game flaws that should be fixed when youre remaking something. The games not only suffer from the shit gen 4 engine but the fact johto is one of the regions with the least amount of polish on anything (even behind kalos and galar) and the remakes are just "but voltorb flip tho!!!!"
In what sense? Kalos and Galar are dull to no end. See? Kalos and Galar are of the regions with the least amount of polish on anything, but to make things worse, they also lack content.

Usum post content was way better imo.
Adding a 1 hour campaing + a fun minigame isn't adding fundamental game content that should be added when you come from a 2 regions, rematch based, multiple minigames + battle frontier region. You know.

There's Pokéathlon, bro. There's catching contest. There's Pokémon Safari, a greatly improved one, too, btw. There's Battle Frontier. This alone is more content that the entirety of USUM, i'm just overkilling it. There's a second region. There are new legendary events, and one of the coolest btw, the Arceus one that involved the creation trio. Just stop, don't force yourself. And there's just the minor details about every Pokémon resprited in the overworld to follow you adding a minimal interaction an inmerse functionality, the OST changer, Pal Park, the entire redesign of almost every area in the game being it artistically or its inner design, like MT Silver, incorporating features from IV Gen like rockclimb, the Fighting Dojo...

And when you've expent 60 hours in all that, while the USUM guy has been flying in the same minigame to enter different colored portals and fight a legendary with no setup or event related, you still have your 300 hours to finish the battle frontier.

Last edited:
Based on the graphics and movement alone it seems to be more in line with the Let's Go games which tbh I wasn't exactly surprised. Not that its bad but considering what the originals look like and I can't imagine GF putting that much effort to turning Sinnoh's graphics to something similar to SWSH. What i AM surprised about is they decided to outsource to a company I never heard of this game even though Masuda is still involved (for better or worse). Honestly i was very worried about how they badly gonna butcher the games considering how SWSH is my least fave pokemon game and how DPPt has a special place in my heart as they were my first pokemon game. The thing is SWSH and DPPt are very different games due to being years apart especially from the mechanical sides so I'm not sure how exactly faithful it is to the originals. SWSH is one of the easier pokemon games due to the perma exp share while DPPt is one of the hardest even with the expanded dex so I'm not sure how they will handle the difficulty and the games have a loads of features and other little things that are just absent in SWSH. A far as what the trailer show... well its hard to know exactly how exactly much they're gonna put in Platinum content in it. Porygon-Z's appearance is a partial confirmation of including Platinum's dex but its a post game mon from the Trophy Garden in DP. The inclusion of Platinum dex wouldn't change the plot or most of the major boss fights so its possible to shove it in considering the the DP dex is very limited. I guess they could try to shoehorn Looker in as he shows up in every single generation except 8 so far and the story wouldn't change much but its unlikely. As for Giratina either it gets something ala the Delta episode or nothing at all. Whether the Battle Frontier could either have Tower only like in the originals or it includes the rest of the facilities is something time will tell. As for faithfulness to the original i hope the games games took on more from HGSS or at least ORAS where they include somethings from the third version. FRLG is very faithful to the original to the point where you can't evolve Golbat and Chansey until the post game and most of the main game improvements are the updated gen3 battle mechanics as HGSS includes elements from Crystal and ORAS at least has a nod to Emerald in the post game. One thing to note is that a lot of Sinnoh's feature utilizes the touch screen so I'm not sure how they're exactly gonna implement that on the switch so there will be some changes. As for features introduced in later gens well I can't exactly imagine them implementing d-max (hopefully) as its role is very tied with Eternatus and Galar. Same with Z-moves with the Tapus and Alola. I can see them however shove in megas like they did in the lets go games as its not really tied to the lore if the gen6 games. Overall I'm hopeful that this game won't suck and it might redeem gen8 to me as a whole.

#bringbackacidrain
also since Unown is in DP dex will they undo movexit or they just give Unown something else?
Unown gets a new signature move where it rearranges itself to spell obscene language and dreamworks movie scripts featuring jerry Seinfeld to threaten and confuse the opponent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)