Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

got a few.

1: is the gym leader order the same as in platinum? the LARGE gap between gyms 2 and 3 in DP is annoying, and it won't be something i look forward to.

2: will cynthia's garchomp be prepared against the incoming wave of fairy types who think they can flaunt their new typing in the face of a mon that has put the fear into hundreds of fans? aka, will it have poison jab?

3: will the prism scale be included? milotic sounds cool as hell to use, so i might try that.

anyways, questions aside, i'd like to talk about the pokemon I'LL be using for BDSP.
Absolutely Guaranteed Members:
:bw/piplup: :bw/empoleon:
Now, I like all the Sinnoh Starters, but to me, Empoleon is the King of Kings. Piplup is fuckin adorable, and while Prinplup is a victim of the "awkward midle stages" I truly ADORE Empoleon. I also think that most of the water starters are generally the coolest out of their starter trios (except inteleon, fuck that guy) so this will be my main decision for my first playthrough.

:bw/tangrowth:
If you know me, you know that i never shut the fuck up about Tangrowth, because GOD tangrowth is so based. even though you do have to wait a little to get it in pokemon platinum, i can make the exception because its worth it to get one of, if not my favorite pokemon.
Incredibly Likely:

:bw/houndoom::bw/magmortar:
When it comes to fire-types, there are such few and far between...Infernape is locked off as a fellow starter unless I want it transferred from someone else, and Flareon and Rapidash are a no-go for me. So! That leaves these two! I for one, prefer Magmortar much more, primarily due to the nuclear power and the fact i've used it before, but I can understand people who prefer Houndoom, what with the Dark STAB and not having giant fucking lips for a mouth.

From there, there are quite a lot of pokemon to choose from when it comes to what i want on a sinnoh team. And lots of them are very interesting as well....Ah, but what to choose, however..?

:bw/garchomp: :bw/gliscor: :bw/rhyperior:
Ground types? If the encounter tables are identical to that of Platinum, then no doubt will these be very early, and very good choices...you can never go wrong with the raw power of STAB Earthquake...
:bw/honchkrow: :bw/weavile:
Dark types? Ah...but some come later than others, and the ones that I prefer evolve very, very late. Regardless, their intimidating looks and excellent offensive prowess is desirable.....
:bw/toxicroak: :bw/drapion: :bw/crobat:
Poison Types? With the culmination of the new Fairy Type knocking on the door of the Sinnoh Remakes, It won't be as simple as knocking down the Clefairies riddled through Sinnoh with a Brick Break or two, so these may come in use...
:bw/gengar: :bw/spiritomb: :bw/mismagius:
Ghost Types? Some are fast, but some are very, very slow....regardless, such useful utility against fighting types is no less useful...these astral allies will make for quite an effective
:bw/froslass: :bw/mamoswine:
Ice Types? Make sure to bring a jacket or two...these are often necessary to fend off the wrath of the Champion. Half of Cynthia's team doesn't fancy Ice Moves, did you know? And with her signature Pokemon...you'll need to cool her down as fast as possible....

and that's what i'd choose for my team in sinnoh. but now that i think of it, maybe recreating old friends isn't so bad, either. I do have pokemon teams that I fancy i could use once more... like some of my friends here.
:bw/torterra: :bw/drifblim: :bw/floatzel: :bw/lucario: :bw/skuntank: :bw/alakazam:
:bw/infernape: :bw/roserade: :bw/vaporeon: :bw/mamoswine: :bw/magnezone: :bw/yanmega:
:bw/empoleon: :bw/garchomp: :bw/crobat: :bw/magmortar: :bw/gallade: :bw/jolteon:

This Sinnoh experience will be very intriguing, and i await the games with great interest.
I think Inteleon's line was Gen 8's starter line where everyone loves the first two stages and then when the third is revealed people are like "Game Freak what happened." Like Delphox and Incineroar.
Anyway, about the only gens 1-4 thing: I really don't see Sylveon getting left out, but it would feel weird to have that in the game but nothing else from gens 5-8.

If they have regional forms, like in Let's Go, while it would be odd to lack Sirfetch'd, Cursola, Obstagoon and Mr Rime (probably the most relevant since Mr Mime's line will be normally available without any outside shenanigans) I could see them forgo them. 4 of them aren't readily available to begin with and they equate directly with already single staged pokemon or pokemon already at the end of their line.

Perrserker, however, would stick out because Meowth-G would just be....a meowth that can't evolve, basically. There's two other Meowth that get to evolve alongside it.

Do we know if this game will be a strict 1-1 remake of gen 4's battle engine or if it will be modern, for example Fairy type + steel no longer resisting ghost etc?

I hope so but do you have a source that proves they will?
In the contest section of the recent trailer, Charm was shown to be Fairy-type. The icon is different from the usual Fairy-type icon, but it's definitely not a Cute icon because Growl, Role Play, and Encore show icons for Normal and Psychic (Psychic is also different from the usual icon, but the colors match for both and Normal's plain circle is unmistakable).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
I hope so but do you have a source that proves they will?
No, but when it comes to the background battling mechanics they've always used the most recent.

FRLG had Abilities & Dark & Steel-types.
HGSS had Physical-Special Split.
ORAS had Physical-Special Split, Fairy-types (& Mega Evos).
Let's Go was an odd case having no Abilities but it was more trying to match GO so had all the Types plus Regional Variants and Mega Evos on top of that (as well as the Physical-Special split).

There would be no reason for BDSP not to have Fairy-types at the very least (and the Type changes they also done over the years).

I think Inteleon's line was Gen 8's starter line where everyone loves the first two stages and then when the third is revealed people are like "Game Freak what happened." Like Delphox and Incineroar.
Anyway, about the only gens 1-4 thing: I really don't see Sylveon getting left out, but it would feel weird to have that in the game but nothing else from gens 5-8.
PMD RTDX: Allow us to introduce ourselves

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
As this thread has started to descend into looped conversations, I am going to lock this thread in around 24-36 hours. If you have any closing thoughts, now is the time to post them.

We will of course unlock when we get more major news, but chances are it'll be smooth sailing from here out. Just over 11 weeks to go!

No, but when it comes to the background battling mechanics they've always used the most recent.

Let's Go was an odd case having no Abilities but it was more trying to match GO so had all the Types plus Regional Variants and Mega Evos on top of that (as well as the Physical-Special split).

There would be no reason for BDSP not to have Fairy-types at the very least (and the Type changes they also done over the years).
Those were all main series games part of the gen they were released in. DP remakes appear to be closer to 1-1 remakes minus a few changes. Those previous remakes were simply older games rebuilt with the current gen's engine. LGPE were not built off the USUM engine and clearly DP remakes are not based off SWSH. LGPE had numerous battle changes that separated itself from gen 7 and it's reasonable to believe that DP remakes might also have a different battle system.

I'm asking if there's any proof that from pre-release pictures or videos that fairy types or other modern changes are actually returning. I don't like when people jump to conclusions without proof, so I'm just asking if in any of the trailers if we've actually seen a fairy type or some other proof that the battle system is from gen 8. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just looking for evidence.

Last edited:
PMD RTDX: Allow us to introduce ourselves
Exactly.

It wouldn't really be that weird to have only what is in Gen 1 to 4 + Sylveon, because... well, Sylveon is the only cross-generational evolution introduced after that.

But then again... Sylveon wasn't present in Let's GO, so who knows?

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
clearly DP remakes are not based off SWSH
While BDSP don't have the same art style or overworld of SwSh, namely in the overworld segments, the battles are evidently very much in Gen 8's engine, which solidifies that BDSP are Gen 8 games. Sure, the overworld is top down and looks nothing like SwSh's overworld, but the battles have the same/similar UI and many of the moves we saw in both trailers use the same animations as in SwSh, which makes it clear that battles in BDSP are in the Gen 8 battle engine.

On that notion it is reasonable to believe battles will be modernized with Fairy and new type match ups. That being said, we don't have explicit confirmation that Dark and Ghost now hit Steel neutrally and we don't have evidence of that just yet, if that's what you're asking. As for Fairy, as said one of the Contest shots in the second trailer suggests that it's back.

Closing thoughts:
This game needs to add something decent that we haven't seen in a pokemon game before. Not just things that weren't in DPPt.
They need to at least attempt to make up for not having all the platinum stuff.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Closing thoughts:
This game needs to add something decent that we haven't seen in a pokemon game before. Not just things that weren't in DPPt.
They need to at least attempt to make up for not having all the platinum stuff.
We have no idea if this is/isn't the case. Also the UnderGround looks like a massive revamp compared to what it was before, so I am not sure what you are getting at with this comment.

We have no idea if this is/isn't the case. Also the UnderGround looks like a massive revamp compared to what it was before, so I am not sure what you are getting at with this comment.
The Underground looks pretty shallow so far TBH. Its just placing statues to attract a couple of pokemon. It also isn't really brand new, since you could do something very similar in the HGSS Safari Zone.

Maybe they'll add something more later. But BDSP is out in less than 3 months. They've released two trailers for BDSP. Can you blame me for being sceptical when there is almost nothing actually new to the franchise in either of them?

Look how much new stuff the ORAS trailer shows:
Primals, new megas, dex nav, soaring and the promise of an expanded storyline.

I'm not giving DBSP the benefit of the doubt when they've shown so much less new stuff than we got in the other remakes this close to release.

I wouldn't use GFs backstory this time, because at this moment they are unpredictable.

As you've clearly stated (and it's true), until this point in time the Pokémon franchise was always that predictable. You had a new generation (starting from third gen), then you had remakes that incorporate all the new Pokédex limit (386 in 3, 493 in 4, and so on) + the new mechanics (be it mega evolutions, inclussion of abilities and natures, types, splits, etcetera, etcetera) and even graphically they looked similar because they used the same engine.

That is not the case with BPSD. This are -for the first time- not developed by Game Freak, and they clearly aren't of the same nature than past remakes, starting with the visualls; they just aren't the "FRLG" of RSE, nor the "HGSS" of DPPl. They are something different, more akin to a Spin-Off portraying a main series entry. So, I'd expect Fairy type at least, but I wouldn't expect a Pokédex that equals that of 8th Gen nor SwSh inherent mechanics. These are a different kind of remake.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The Underground looks pretty shallow so far TBH. Its just placing statues to attract a couple of pokemon. It also isn't really brand new, since you could do something very similar in the HGSS Safari Zone.

Maybe they'll add something more later. But BDSP is out in less than 3 months. They've released two trailers for BDSP. Can you blame me for being sceptical when there is almost nothing actually new to the franchise in either of them?

Look how much new stuff the ORAS trailer shows:
Primals, new megas, dex nav, soaring and the promise of an expanded storyline.

I'm not giving DBSP the benefit of the doubt when they've shown so much less new stuff than we got in the other remakes this close to release.
Like I said earlier, GF's marketing strategy has changed since the 3DS days. The massive volume of reveals was widely disparaged for showing too much too fast, for ORAS in particular there was basically nothing kept hidden. It was even worse for SM - forget a remake, an entire new region was almost completely spoiled! Even if the demo datamine hadn't happened the amount of Pokemon left for players to find on their own would be in the single digits. And when such a big part of Pokemon's identity is the wonder and mystery of a new region, that's a big problem. I even believe there's an interview from sometime after SM where one of Game Freak's senior staff expresses remorse at this approach and how it left little to discover by the time games would come out, although I'm not 100% sure on that admittedly. Regardless, starting with base SWSH there's been a very obvious and noticeable truncating of information to prevent this mistake from repeating - that game didn't even reveal its starter evolutions, for crying out loud!

Like I said earlier, GF's marketing strategy has changed since the 3DS days. The massive volume of reveals was widely disparaged for showing too much too fast, for ORAS in particular there was basically nothing kept hidden. It was even worse for SM - forget a remake, an entire new region was almost completely spoiled! Even if the demo datamine hadn't happened the amount of Pokemon left for players to find on their own would be in the single digits. And when such a big part of Pokemon's identity is the wonder and mystery of a new region, that's a big problem. I even believe there's an interview from sometime after SM where one of Game Freak's senior staff expresses remorse at this approach and how it left little to discover by the time games would come out, although I'm not 100% sure on that admittedly. Regardless, starting with base SWSH there's been a very obvious and noticeable truncating of information to prevent this mistake from repeating - that game didn't even reveal its starter evolutions, for crying out loud!
I get not wanting to reveal too much. I would like a nice day 1 reveal or two when BDSP comes out. But there's a balance between holding some good stuff back so you get exciting headlines on day 1, and just not having a lot of new stuff for a trailer.

If they had both brand new content, and most of the good stuff from platinum, they could reveal something exciting now and hold the rest for release. They were so excited to show off seals and the rhythm action part of contests. But didn't show anything platinum exclusive besides a bigger regional dex.

The last minute of the trailer was just "team galactic still exists, and the box legendaries still exist". That part would have been perfect if they had new storyline stuff or a new dialga and palia form to show off. But there was no hint of any of that.

Closing thoughts:

This game looks really fun and I can't wait to play my first Sinnoh game. I was a bit hesitant at first but after the second trailer I'm really excited.

Also I changed my mind and I'm choosing Torterra.

No matter how the game will be, someone will complain.
I mean... SwSh got like 90% critical on Metacritic... I suspect BDSP will get mostly good critic reviews and a lot of good audience reviews even if its terrible.
But yeah, there will also probably be review bombing and complaints even if it does exceed most people's expectations.

One thing that I have learned over the last 23 years of Pokemon being in the west, is that because people like very different aspects of the franchise from each other, that there will always be people arguing over whether any given part of the largest multimedia franchise of all time is good or bad, especially the games.

Pokemon is not my favorite franchise, but it is like a comfort food I am always willing to go back to. As such I have never been disappointed with any mainline title. I can't really put what I like about the series into a real words, but I am satisfied with every game I have played, even if it isn't the best gaming experience for its respective console.

I will most likely enjoy BDSP for what it is, as I have with the other four Switch titles thusfar.

Last edited:
Closing thoughts: I think this game is gonna be alright. Sinnoh is a pretty good region, but even Platinum has some pretty glaring issues that can detract from the experience (speed, HMs, etc.), so there's definitely room for improvement here. I'm also looking forward to playing around with the new stuff they introduce via the Grand Underground. I was disappointed by the apparent lack of a full Battle Frontier, but it's not game-ruining and the Battle Tower will still be fun if they don't fuck it up.

I'm more interested now that they've tweaked the graphics and stuff like the Pokedex have been assuaged. They'll probably be fine little games and I'll enjoy my trip down Sinnoh lane again, a region I'm actually pretty nostalgic for.

That said there's still a few lingering issues, EXP share primarily, that I hope to see resolved. Ideally we'll continue getting monthly updates considering the game comes out in November....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 9)