Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

I do think Gen 6 Exp. Share should be a staple forever. It promotes incorporing new members to the team and training them all to accesible levels without the tedious grinding. They fail in the aplication because there's no level limit, and it should be. A trainer's skill is conceptually represented by their team. Levels don't exist in the Pokémon World, there's no lvl. 17 Nidoran, there's just a Nidoran, weaker or stronger. Levels are an external representation of a Pokémon power for the player (no the in-game characters) to see, and so it makes no sense that a trainer with 1 medal can have a level 70 Pokémon.

The numbers of medals you have should be a clear representation of the skill level the trainer has demostrated until that point, and so your maximum level should be capped to that of the last medal you've obtained. That way you'll always fight par on par with every trainer in the routes, and the battle against the next leader will always be in the same level as them. With this, GEn 6 Exp. Share allows for a easy customization of the team at any moment given, since it's extremely quick to level up fresly-catched members, and this will allow the game design to depict more challenging leaders, because your options have increased.

I’m still on the fence of whether I should get SP or not; I have genuinely enjoyed what I’ve seen, but I’m still sort of burnt Shield. It is tempting since I have not played a Sinnoh game since I was a kid, and Pearl was my first game.

If I do play it, it will be a casual playthrough with these goals in mind:

1. Complete the Regional Dex

2. Get a 200 Win Streak at Battle Tower

3. Gain All ribbons for Super Contests.

I was a total noob playing through Pearl on my first time, this remake would be a great opportunity to play it properly.

Levels are an external representation of a Pokémon power for the player (no the in-game characters) to see, and so it makes no sense that a trainer with 1 medal can have a level 70 Pokémon.
This is something I run into a lot, though mostly in a tabletop RPG context. Stuff like levels or exact HP are stated as something the characters cannot know about, despite experiments existing that would confirm the concept's existence. I'm willing to accept that the characters don't know about them at any given time just because research hasn't been focused there, but it doesn't sit well to override the game itself to make it impossible to know.

Well, if I'm ever making a fan project pokemon region, I now know what the professor is going to focus on.

I do think Gen 6 Exp. Share should be a staple forever. It promotes incorporing new members to the team and training them all to accesible levels without the tedious grinding. They fail in the aplication because there's no level limit, and it should be.
That is kind of the crux of it. The convenience when getting your team levelled up is great. Gen VIII has made it quicker than ever to get your mons competitive ready (besides needling like a million Dynamax Candies if you IV Breed everything).

But having exp.share in-game also means that your whole team grows up so quickly that you aren't putting time and effort into letting any pokemon grow. Even though a little grinding is usually okay in an RPG.

I think the Exp. Share held item should be available in-game. But the key item should be an option and possible a post-game item.

All I want is the ability to turn it on-off to come back.

Also don't just....give an item that increases EXP Gain and then force it on you and then not let you turn THAT off either. Like I don't know if the EXP Charm is ever coming back and it was a DLC thing but also don't do that again.

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do think Gen 6 Exp. Share should be a staple forever. It promotes incorporing new members to the team and training them all to accesible levels without the tedious grinding. They fail in the aplication because there's no level limit, and it should be. A trainer's skill is conceptually represented by their team. Levels don't exist in the Pokémon World, there's no lvl. 17 Nidoran, there's just a Nidoran, weaker or stronger. Levels are an external representation of a Pokémon power for the player (no the in-game characters) to see, and so it makes no sense that a trainer with 1 medal can have a level 70 Pokémon.

The numbers of medals you have should be a clear representation of the skill level the trainer has demostrated until that point, and so your maximum level should be capped to that of the last medal you've obtained. That way you'll always fight par on par with every trainer in the routes, and the battle against the next leader will always be in the same level as them. With this, GEn 6 Exp. Share allows for a easy customization of the team at any moment given, since it's extremely quick to level up fresly-catched members, and this will allow the game design to depict more challenging leaders, because your options have increased.
A level limit sounds like a good solution in theory but in practice it creates a new problem in that it effectively becomes highly restrictive as to how much leeway you have when playing the game. One of the biggest draws to Pokemon for many people is that you can play however you want, and a level limit completely murders that. You want to do a monotype run? That would be dead in the water because now you can't rely on a decent level advantage to make up for a type disadvantage in a Gym. Are you a kid at heart, and you want to brute force through the entire game with just your awesome starter? Good luck doing that now, you can't rely on overlevelling your starter to make up for the numbers disadvantage.

You may see it as imposing "extra-official rules" but many people who play Pokemon genuinely enjoy trying to do things that are out of the box or in some cases I think many kids may be inclined to just use their awesome and epic starter and just that to blow through the game. Many people have solo'd RS or DP in the past with just the likes of Swampert or Infernape. A level limit would straight up ensure that that's not possible anymore. Pokemon has always given players a healthy amount of leeway in how they want to play the games and level limits would straight up kill any semblance of freedom in how to approach and play the game.

Now granted, there's a such thing as having too much leeway, which is what Sword and Shield fell into the pitfall of doing. It was balanced around the base EXP All mechanic just fine, but it was not balanced around EXP Candies. The Wild Area lets you get those from Raids and you can straight up pump your mons with Candies and walk in with vastly overleveled mons. You can't do this normally by just sticking to training your mons against normal NPCs. Or the case of getting Stone evos before the first Gym, free with Move Relearners that give them their best moves off the bat. But a level limit goes too far in the other direction, and basically ensures that you have absolutely no leeway whatsoever. You are forced into the rotating Pokemon playstyle and forcing type diversity, and not everyone will find this fun. Many enjoy doing unconventional runs of Pokemon games and this would completely go against that.

Maybe if they do a challenge mode, such an idea would be feasible, but Pokemon games have always thrived on giving players a healthy degree of leeway to how a player can approach the game and still succeed. That's a kind of flexibility you don't get from other RPGs and is one of the reasons why Pokemon is so popular to play.

All I want is the ability to turn it on-off to come back.

Also don't just....give an item that increases EXP Gain and then force it on you and then not let you turn THAT off either. Like I don't know if the EXP Charm is ever coming back and it was a DLC thing but also don't do that again.
I would go as far as to say mandatory Exp. All is the worst game design mechanic GF has ever implemented. To force me as the player to have to either be over levelled without purposefully avoiding trainers, or have to use a rotating team to keep the game challenging, makes no sense at all.

Gen 6's mechanic was fine, in fact it was good. I could switch it off for the main campaign to keep the game challenging, and switch it on to raise Pokémon quickly for post game battle facilities (which enhanced versions of are ironically gone since Gen 5, but whatever).

Seriously if mandatory Exp. All is back for this game, it is flat out unplayable for me.

Considering how ridiculously fun the game is when you can use way more than just 6 Pokémon with next to no waste of time, I still fail to see how a mandatory Exp. All is a problem.

Considering how ridiculously fun the game is when you can use way more than just 6 Pokémon with next to no waste of time, I still fail to see how a mandatory Exp. All is a problem.
Why should someone be forced into such a playstyle is the question.

And for me, the reason I prefer a standard team of six is because I'm matching my opponents' playstyle. In Platinum for example, I don't see Barry and Cynthia swapping random Pokémon in and out of their various battles. No, they have a standard signature team and I like matching them with my own signature team. It seems incongruous to me for you as the protagonist to be the only one using a rotating team when none of the other strong trainers around you do.

I think if they're going to do mandatory exp all they need to balance the game around it better. I don't know if it did anything different but I didn't feel overleveled in Ultra Sun and I used the exp share throughout the entire game. The only Pokemon that ended up a little overleveled was a Lycanroc I got traded, which get more exp by default

Strangely I didn't feel overleveled in Shield either, but I didn't use the exp candies because it was my first game and I had no idea what those were

Regardless of how it effects gameplay or difficulty I still think it should always be an option. Doesn't really hurt anybody if it's an option compared to mandatory

I do not think it's fun, primarily.
Which, in gens 6 & 7, was not a problem, because you could turn it on and enjoy it and i could turn it off and not enjoy THAT. But now it's forced on.

And to be frank the game still isn't set to make that the "way to play". They sure as hell don't play up this fact in interviews, instead doing its stupid "simply put them all in the box and level up one at a time", wild pokemon trend towards being higher than near by trainers, trainers still rarely reach 3 pokemon and important ones only reach 5 by end game. If it is genuinely the thing they want to make "the way to play" then there's a lot of dev work they need to put in and I'm just going to constantly remembe that we had 2 generations where it was totally fine not doing that with group exp share.

Like if it worked for you that's great. The fact the game allows this play style is fine. But I do not enjoy it and I want to turn the EXP Share off, a super simple option that is relatively trivial to implement and play the usual way I do enjoy while not ruining the way other people like to play.

Personally, I enjoy playing with a fairly consistent team of six, at least up until post-game. That might be a product of earlier games, where having a rotating party is either impossible or grindy, but having Exp. All was not enjoyable in the slightest. With a relatively set team, I feel more invested. Not saying that's the case for everyone or that's the "correct" mindset, but I don't have as much fun with a constantly rotating party

I think if they're going to do mandatory exp all they need to balance the game around it better. I don't know if it did anything different but I didn't feel overleveled in Ultra Sun and I used the exp share throughout the entire game. The only Pokemon that ended up a little overleveled was a Lycanroc I got traded, which get more exp by default

Strangely I didn't feel overleveled in Shield either, but I didn't use the exp candies because it was my first game and I had no idea what those were

Regardless of how it effects gameplay or difficulty I still think it should always be an option. Doesn't really hurt anybody if it's an option compared to mandatory
LGPE's Exp All was a mixed bag for balancing, in my experience. My Eevee got super over-leveled right away, but it definitely helped with the gift Pokemon. Sword was okay (I think I ended up with 7 or 8 in my rotation), but I also didn't use the exp candies

*shoves everything else out of the way*

praise the lord
Honestly I'm surprised people even remotely thought HMs as we know them would be back.

Nah, that's never happening. For valid reasons.
Not too fond of this implementation of the ""HM"" but heh, I'll take it.

Also can Jigglypuff stop being adorable while floating already.

I am interested in this... NPCs helping? How is that even meant to be used :blobthinking:

Honestly I'm surprised people even remotely thought HMs as we know them would be back.

Nah, that's never happening. For valid reasons.
Not too fond of this implementation of the ""HM"" but heh, I'll take it.
Honestly without the context of the website the trailer did a terrible job of clarifying how HMs worked lmao.
Like it looked like just a "hot key" menu so you didnt have to keep going into the menu to activate them.

I am interested in this... NPCs helping? How is that even meant to be used :blobthinking:
Are you talking about Riley & Cheryl? Those are just the pair up segments from the original game.

Are you talking about Riley & Cheryl? Those are just the pair up segments from the original game.
I'm disappointed to know that it's part of the regular gameplay :blobpensive: I was hoping it was something new.

Well I guess that's what I get for not having actually played the gen 4 games

I'm disappointed to know that it's part of the regular gameplay :blobpensive: I was hoping it was something new.

Well I guess that's what I get for not having actually played the gen 4 games
The only "new" things here:
-The HM App in the poketch
-The poketch always being on screen (kind of...required, really)
-Amity Square now lets you run around with up to 6 pokemon at once
-You can now cook poffins together like how you cook all the curry.
-Gardenia's roserade had seals put on its pokeball

By the way the website also talks about mt Coronet. nothing new, but hey if anyone wanted to see Spear Pillar

here it is.

I am soooooooooooo glad they're keeping the original Gardenia Gym puzzle, Platinum's redesign is the worst Gym in the entire series.

HM implementation looks neat, Amity Square is... there, I guess, and yay for the return of NPC partners! That was one of the most exciting things to me when I first played Pearl in 2006 so I'm glad it's being retained as-is.

By the way the website also talks about mt Coronet. nothing new, but hey if anyone wanted to see Spear Pillar

here it is.
Looks absolutely sick. Love the wreaths of mist, the original never really evoked the feeling that you were at the highest point in the region. Always felt more like a cave interior to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 5)