Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Hmmm, all this game needs is the ability to send pokemon in from home. If it has that, it stands a real good chance of being the best pokemon game to date.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Pushing forward still loops back towards the past anyway.
In what way? Does that means fans ends up going towards the past by being way too attached to it?

Either way, regarding Battle Frontier, I seriously doubt there will be any Battle Frontier by this point. And I know a lot of fans will give a tantrum if either the National Dex or the Battle Frontier isn’t in the game and review bomb BDSP. I wouldn’t make a fuss if either of the two is absent, but I know how rapid the fanbase got lately.

It’s not always “this is why we can’t have nice things and that” when there are in fact plenty of quality-of-life improvements seen - the HM replacement / alternative is a very important one - and I appreciate people to not disregard those changes and not unfairly unfavorably compare them to HGSS for sake of complaining.

Only real worry if they will 100% go for DP Dex, or 100% accurate for Gym Leaders + Elite Four teams. At least as far pre-rematches are concerned anyways.

Already confirmed, though I'm not sure if it'll be available on release.
It won't, it was already confirmed. HOME is arriving, but in 2022 (probably alongside Legends).

Not to mention that we don't know if we could transfer Pokémon from Sword and Shield (I assume it will be like Let's GO and will not let you do so, and will only be possible in one direction).

Reactions: ttr
It won't, it was already confirmed. HOME is arriving, but in 2022 (probably alongside Legends).

Not to mention that we don't know if we could transfer Pokémon from Sword and Shield (I assume it will be like Let's GO and will not let you do so, and will only be possible in one direction).
Since Sw/Sh is still going to be the games that VGC runs on, it would make sense to let people transfer pokemon from BDSP and Legends into Home and then Sw/Sh, but I think it it may be possible to transfer it back to at least BDSP. Since Let's Go has Awakening Values instead of EV's which are wiped when transferred into Sw/Sh since Sw/Sh uses EV's, transfering them back would lead to people questioning where their pokemon's AV's went. BDSP presumably still uses EV's, so that should not be much of a concern.

Now, while contest stats are going to be in BDSP and are not in Sw/Sh, I bet they still are tracking them, so it should not be an issue. Contest stats have been tracked ever since Gen 3, with pokemon with conditions from Gen 3 retaining their conditioning in game when shown in Gen 6. Additionally, Feebas apparently can still evolve based on its beauty stat in games where there is no way to adjust the beauty stat, so I bet that it is still tracked through Home.

All this said, there does not appear to be a similar restriction to transferring for BDSP like Let's Go had, so I think transferring is still a possibility between the two.

In what way? Does that means fans ends up going towards the past by being way too attached to it?

Either way, regarding Battle Frontier, I seriously doubt there will be any Battle Frontier by this point. And I know a lot of fans will give a tantrum if either the National Dex or the Battle Frontier isn’t in the game and review bomb BDSP. I wouldn’t make a fuss if either of the two is absent, but I know how rapid the fanbase got lately.

It’s not always “this is why we can’t have nice things and that” when there are in fact plenty of quality-of-life improvements seen - the HM replacement / alternative is a very important one - and I appreciate people to not disregard those changes and not unfairly unfavorably compare them to HGSS for sake of complaining.

Only real worry if they will 100% go for DP Dex, or 100% accurate for Gym Leaders + Elite Four teams. At least as far pre-rematches are concerned anyways.
While I'm not in the habit of posting to review sites, I feel the need to point out that Dex size and lack of battle frontier are two of my largest concerns with the game, as well as mandatory exp. all. If all of them are unfavourable, I will most likely not be getting this, and listing why I didn't get it seems like important information to provide when discussing it. I'd be more receptive to the known quality-of-life improvements (possibly enough to get it despite finding the postgame lacking with neither a frontier nor a large dex to use in the tower), if I knew there wasn't also going to be a significant quality of life decrease in other areas. Of the three things I'm tracking, two are unknown and one is practically deconfirmed. Why exactly should I not be concerned?

I won't lie, if BDSP was basically a 1-1 remake of Platinum, but still kept Flint's team, I'd love that, just for the sheer memery.

I don't know why they thought they could get away with that, or why they thought they should have a Fire type Elite four member in a region with only two available, one being the starter! It'd be fine if it were the first gym where it has 2 Pokemon anyway, but Elite Four member?

It's almost as bad as Lance being a Dragon type Elite four member in a region with only one, singular (but superior) Dragon Pokemon line, but atleast Kanto has the excuse of being the first region ever

by 100% DP Dex do you mean "there are only the 493 pokemon" or "It is literally the DP Dex" because the latter we can put to bed.

e: Also jsut until proven otherwise I am fully assuming it is JUST the first 493 pokemon. This isn't the next big flagship title, SWSH will continue to be the one they want you on for their big events and they probably do not care that a game like this (a remake being handled by another company) has access to the full suite of Pokemon.

Last edited:
I won't lie, if BDSP was basically a 1-1 remake of Platinum, but still kept Flint's team, I'd love that, just for the sheer memery.

I don't know why they thought they could get away with that, or why they thought they should have a Fire type Elite four member in a region with only two available, one being the starter! It'd be fine if it were the first gym where it has 2 Pokemon anyway, but Elite Four member?

It's almost as bad as Lance being a Dragon type Elite four member in a region with only one, singular (but superior) Dragon Pokemon line, but atleast Kanto has the excuse of being the first region ever
Making Elite 4 members from types the regional dex cannot sufficiently support was a running theme across all four of the first generations, which is either solved by doubling up on family members or taking in Pokemon from different types. Agatha, Pheobe, Glacia, Drake kind of. The only reason Flint stands out as particularly egregious is because none of his non-Fire Pokemon (besides maybe Drifblim) share any type or thematic overlap. They're seemingly picked at random.

Making Elite 4 members from types the regional dex cannot sufficiently support was a running theme across all four of the first generations, which is either solved by doubling up on family members or taking in Pokemon from different types. Agatha, Pheobe, Glacia, Drake kind of. The only reason Flint stands out as particularly egregious is because none of his non-Fire Pokemon (besides maybe Drifblim) share any type or thematic overlap. They're seemingly picked at random.
Yeah, I don't think every Elite Four member/Champion needs all the types to be the same type, that'd be a bit boring. I like how Iris did it in BW2, with 3 Pokemon resembling her mastered type (Dragon) and the other 3 dedicated to covering those weaknesses. Even Aggron can counter Fairy types and they came out a generation later

I suppose what I'm saying is what you said. The type they specialize in need to outnumber the ones that aren't the type, and/or the ones that aren't that type need to resemble the concept of the type. Like with Lance using Gyarados and Charizard, and other examples I can't name because I've only played 3 games. I think if Flint, for example, had anything besides Lopunny it'd be less weird. I mean with Steelix you could make an argument about steel needing to be burned or something to be welded. Lopunny has no reason to be there.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A big thing worth noting is that many of Platinum's tutor moves are now TRs or even TMs in Sword and Shield. If BDSP ends up using the same TM list as SwSh and even the TRs from there carry over then that pretty much covers most of those moves as they will instead be teachable via TM/TR. Also raises the question of how TRs will be obtainable in BDSP: perhaps the Underground will have a mechanic to spawn those as opposed to SwSh's Wild Area?

Another big question aside from the SwSh IoA tutors is the question of whether BDSP will have a tutor for Steel Beam. Steel Beam debuted and is implemented similarly to Draco Meteor back in DP, which has been a recurring tutor move ever since. In that sense it's reasonable to assume Steel Beam will be a recurring tutor move as well. Since Sinnoh does have Iron Island and the likes of Riley and Byron, maybe one of them can be a move tutor for Steel Beam late game? I do wonder if a Steel Beam tutor will return and continue to be a recurring tutor move going forward.

If BDSP only trades with itself they could just redo the TM list for this game. Maybe chuck TRs entirely, since those were likely one use as a way to encourage the Raid Grind gameplay loop so it'd just be a completely redone list.

Not to keep bringing it up but I'm going to bring Let's Go up anyway: it had a different TM list than the alola titles. You could blame that on the cut moves, but they still did it and it's substantial different from the Alola list regardless.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
The Pokétch not having a back button is symbolic. It reflects Sinnoh Fans' drive to ever push forward and surpass their limits.

Pressing a back button shows regret. Regret traps you to the past with Charizards and other KANTOOOOOO pandering things that held back the franchise from greatness.

Keep pushing forward. :psysly:
Sinnoh is so dedicated to not getting stuck in the past that they brought back the DP Pokétch layout instead of the Platinum one.

Hold on.

considering that Let's GO
Ok, this is getting disturbing, why are y'all letting Let's Go live in your heads rent-free like that?

If anything, the logical thing would be comparing BDSP to ORAS in terms of what to expect out of it as a remake, but even that is a bit of a reach.

Also raises the question of how TRs will be obtainable in BDSP: perhaps the Underground will have a mechanic to spawn those as opposed to SwSh's Wild Area?
Which is why I said "TM System".

Are TRs even coming back? Cramming 100 TRs in the underground could wind up a bit sketchy and honestly, without Raids needing an incentive to be replayable, TRs themselves are kind of superfluous.

I was watching this vid, and it showed that Spear Pillar was changed between DP and Plat, so I decided to pull up this pic of BDSP's Pillar to see which version it'd be based on.

It seems to be a mirrored version of DP's one. It's weird that it's mirrored, but there's something MUCH more relevant.

Do you see that square right before the steps? That's where the stairs to the Arceus event arise from. In-Game legendary events confirmed!? :psywoke:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Posted this in the OI Discord server earlier, but this thread mainly addresses the time of day cycle and the fact that different mons will be available at different times of day.

Of course, given this was a big part of DP back then, this is to be expected, but what's interesting is that they note that there are five distinct times of day: Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night, and Late Night, as opposed to DPP only having three (Morning, Day, and Night).

In particular Afternoon and Evening are two distinctions of the Day cycle, and this time unlike before Night now has two distinct times: Night and Late Night. Whether this will be purely aesthetic, or if these distinctions will change Pokemon availability and daily event availability even more, has yet to be seen or found out.

Strictly speaking those day states have always been there. I think they've even shown them off as such before in the gen 4 era.
I imagine the tweet isn't meant to be showing there's now 5 specific states that will affect everything it's just saying "yeah the time of day flows from one to another". Afte rall later on they just differentiate between day/night.

Ok, this is getting disturbing, why are y'all letting Let's Go live in your heads rent-free like that?

If anything, the logical thing would be comparing BDSP to ORAS in terms of what to expect out of it as a remake, but even that is a bit of a reach.

Which is why I said "TM System".

Are TRs even coming back? Cramming 100 TRs in the underground could wind up a bit sketchy and honestly, without Raids needing an incentive to be replayable, TRs themselves are kind of superfluous.

I was watching this vid, and it showed that Spear Pillar was changed between DP and Plat, so I decided to pull up this pic of BDSP's Pillar to see which version it'd be based on.

It seems to be a mirrored version of DP's one. It's weird that it's mirrored, but there's something MUCH more relevant.

Do you see that square right before the steps? That's where the stairs to the Arceus event arise from. In-Game legendary events confirmed!? :psywoke:
I mean that square was there even if you didn't do the event. They likely kept it because it's............part of the scenery already and they've been more or less faithful to that. Like, while it's weird they mirrored it, if you flip it back it is so 1:1 with DP that they even included the rock that's normally obscured by a pillar due to DP's camera angle
It would be significantly weirder if it wasn't there at all.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
My man, stop. Just stop. It's over. We've seen the map. At best maybe the Frontier Brains show up in the Battle Tower as special opponents, not that the Emeralds one did in ORAS. Infact, changing it, best you can expect is Palmer using the Gen IV Frontier Brain theme.
It would be pretty dope... doesn't change it not being in. We wished for DP remakes with the Chimchar's Paw, not realizing we should have wished for a Platinum remake (cause GF it that out of touch).
"THIS ENDS WHEN I SAY IT ENDS!" -Megatron, Fall of Cybertron

Also BDSP will probably use its own TM list separate from SWSH. Only reason that game did the whole TR thing was to incentivize raids, which ofc isn't a matter of concern here. I also don't rly think Poketch having one button will be a problem since I'm reckoning it'll be controlled via the left and right triggers anyway if it's gonna be tucked in the corner of the screen, it's just a weird visual quirk that's part of the "Let's ape DP as much as possible" art direction

Do you see that square right before the steps? That's where the stairs to the Arceus event arise from. In-Game legendary events confirmed!?
Not too surprising, because in Platinum they had to make space for all three mascots, while in the original DP, they only needed one. Since this a remake of DP, it makes sense they stick to the climax of the original.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Pokétch not having a back button is symbolic. It reflects Sinnoh Fans' drive to ever push forward and surpass their limits.

Pressing a back button shows regret. Regret traps you to the past with Charizards and other KANTOOOOOO pandering things that held back the franchise from greatness.
But if you only ever keep pushing forward without reflecting on the past you're doomed to repeat mistakes, such as missing the app you wanted by one thus having to scroll through the list of apps again.

BUT, as CTNC suggested and sounds to be the best option, they could ignore the whole issue altogether by just having a list of apps open up when you press the button.

How so? I agree with you on Let's Go, but how what they're doing here different than seemingly similar decisions they did in ORAS (notably basing it on the initial paired versions and ignoring the enhanced versions' unique features & changes (sans the expanded dex)?

Would be nice to add back in not only Arceus' event but also Darkrai's and Shaymin's.

"THIS ENDS WHEN I SAY IT ENDS!" -Megatron, Fall of Cybertron
"THEN I'LL MAKE YOU SAY THIS ENDS NOW!"

(Optimus Prime - Probably some point in the Transformers franchise)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)