Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Its happening.

Gen 4 Remakes are a go.

Japanese trailer

English Trailer

I will add more info to this post when I have some spare time (And the website is shown).

Talk about the graphics and details released here.

Appears to be heavily Chibi inspired graphics and the games are not being handled by GameFreak.

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/bdsp/

https://diamondpearl.pokemon.com/en-us/

Last edited:
I'll be honest...

I'm generally optimistic when it comes to Pokemon games in general and you know it.

I don't mind the chibi artstyle, I usually like it.
I also don't mind the "stick to 2dish cubic maps", mimicking Let's Go, I suppose the whole "can't exactly turn gen 4 into 3d world easily" did indeed impact this decision.

But... man... the textures and FPS did look even worse than Sword and Shield... I really hope the finished products will look better...

Well, since I never played the originals outside of emulation, I'm absolutely going to get these.

I just hope they include the mobile PC feature.

It will probably be Fine, I Guess but outsourcing to a dev I haven't heard of feels off and there's just this Vibe to the visuals that're also "off"

On the brightside there's a Porygon-Z so, hey! Probably the platinum pokedex. But I wouldn't be surprsied if there were no swarms, pokeradar, etc pokemon.

The fact Legends has the gen 2 & 5 starters feels telling that we're probably not getting the rest of the pokedex with this game...

e: I feel like these games wont be able to interact with SWSH at all. The battle arenas feel very cramped and it wouldn't surprise me if dynamaxing wasnt in the game.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
From the looks of things, and the fact that a different studio is doing these games, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be an exact copy of Diamond and Pearl, with no new creative input or differences other than graphics. Perhaps some new moves and possibly the Fairy-type, but Game Freak has historically been so protective of their creative decisions I doubt they have given the new studio any freedom to deviate from the original games. It really looks like the original DS games have been upscaled, for better or worse. It means a Sinnoh region in all its glory and with none of the cutscenes that have bogged down recent games, but I wouldn't expect any innovations either. They're neither butchering nor improving Sinnoh with this one, it looks like.

Game Freak main developers are doing the Spin-Off, they'll change the entire Pokémon franchise structure to focus on Go players, and they are just testing the waters with Legends Arceus.

In the other hand, a second developer did 1:1 Diamond Pearl remakes in a very simplistic art style just to apeal to nostalgia. D&P remakes have 0 intention of doing anything new or add content like HG/SS FR/LG did, they are just there. Their focus is Arceus Legends. When they sucesfully transfer Go public to Pokémon, say goodbye to Pokémon and hi to aRPG.

That's their only purpose.

I posted this in the other thread, but it's moving so fast right now lol.

I think there is a pretty good chance there will be some level of cross-trading with Sw/Sh. Since Gen IV is the only generation with no mythicals in Sw/Sh, and the odd fact that the Gen IV fossils were left out, highly suggests that they will let you trade between games to some degree. I'm not sure if they will allow you to send mons from Sw/Sh that were not originally in Gen IV, but it makes sense they would allow the ones that were at the least. It'll be interesting to see what additions are made to the game. I think it's probably likely we get Fairy typing and updated abilities, dunno about anything else.

The graphics do look a bit better in the non-streamed trailer posted in the OP, but still looks a half step better than 3DS. Especially when considering this and Legends are running on the same console. I just wish the textures were a bit better at least. Regardless, I'll obviously be getting this day 1.

Last edited:
I posted this in the other thread, but it's moving so fast right now lol.

I think there is a pretty good chance there will be some level of cross-trading with Sw/Sh. Since Gen IV is the only generation with no mythicals in Sw/Sh, and the odd fact that the Gen IV fossils were left out, highly suggests that they will let you trade between games to some degree. I'm not sure if they will allow you to send mons from Sw/Sh that were not originally in Gen IV, but it makes sense they would allow the ones that were at the least.
I assume they wont be able to interact at all but you'll be able to send them to home and then home to swsh. A one way track, just like Let's Go.

Legit worried they don't retroactively add stuff from Platinum. That game legit fixed the Sinnoh Pokedex and added a ton of QoL improvements to DP and the engine as a whole, so this is one of those cases where staying way too faithful to the originals can potentially backfire for them in the long run.

Legit worried they don't retroactively add stuff from Platinum. That game legit fixed the Sinnoh Pokedex and added a ton of QoL improvements to DP and the engine as a whole, so this is one of those cases where staying way too faithful to the originals may backfire for them in the long run.
The Platinum dex is probably partially implemented. There's a brief bit with Porygon-Z, if nothing else.

But yeah I'm doubting we'll see the Looker subplot or any of the other platinum additions/changes.

I'm going to echo what others have said already and say that it looks like these games are going to be nothing more than graphical updates for the original Diamond/Pearl. In which case, I don't see any reason to play these when the original D/P had outrageous numbers of issues and there's already a game, released more than ten years ago, that fixed a ton of those issues while also adding amazing content. What I'm trying to say is, I'll stick with Platinum, thank you very much.

I assume they wont be able to interact at all but you'll be able to send them to home and then home to swsh. A one way track, just like Let's Go.

That would make sense. It seems likely that they will allow transferring from D/P to Sw/Sh one way or another. I want to bring my Gliscor and etc to Galar!

This looks way too literally like a traditional remake, and not a remake we are used too with mechanics updated to the modern era, not to mention lack of Platinum content.
Lack of Fire Types and Ice Types... I can already imagine how they will butcher Flint and Candice.

Feels like a big step back from ORAS... and Masuda being involved doesn't really makes me optimistic. I know he made DP, but you know... it's Masuda...

Sinnoh Confirmed, let's goooooo!!!

Honestly, they had two options. Either do a full remake, which would be very complicated and potentially piss off the fidelity crowd, or do a LGPE-style remake with full mainline gameplay.

The brilliant minds did both. I'm seriously impressed by this turn of events. I see effort, I see ambition, and I see a little bit of polish.

But let's focus just on DP remakes.

I'm concerned about more than just the Plat Dex, but the actual item distribution. A lot of evolutionary items and stuff wasn't really available in DP and we all know it infamously suffers a Johto Dex issue when it comes to actually shilling its cross-evolutions.

On the other hand, if the fidelity focus is on the story, and they adapt some of Platinum's fixes, especially for the level curve, we're talking about a potential GOAT here. The games look slightly unfinished, I noticed a couple shadows missing and details like that, but the presentation idea is very, very good.

I wonder if there will be DLC/Post-Game exploring the Distortion World, the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and the like. That would definitely interest me.

I'm just really fucking hype man, this is great.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Imagine telling the Pokefandom yesterday "Yes, Sinnoh remakes will be revealed tomorrow and they'll be completely overshadowed by Sinnoh itself"

Fr tho saying this'll suck based on graphics alone is a lame and regressive attitude. Can we like. Actually wait for more info on content to come out? Please and thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)