Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

If you go by ORAS, that game was EXTREMELY faithful to RS if you looked at the same points the BDSP trailer had; and it still had most the Emerald content in some way. I think the most we should be worried for is Gym Leader/League teams.
ORAS wasn't entirely faithful. Granite Cave's pokemons were locked up until you got a bike (why), Mauville City received a huge makeover, you got Latias/Latios around the midgame for free rather than the postgame, Team Aqua/Magma incorporated the grimer/koffing lines into their roster, many endgame trainers got new mons (I don't recall an ace trainer ever using a Pinsir in vanilla RSE), etc.

Megas coming back is a big L, though this makes me wonder (if this game has online battling) what this will mean for smogon. Will it be a lets go meta game situation?
Perhaps? If the remake has all the mons from Sword/Shield and it's expansions already coded-in, then there's a chance we'll switch into that metagame instead.

ORAS wasn't entirely faithful. Granite Cave's pokemons were locked up until you got a bike (why), Mauville City received a huge makeover, you got Latias/Latios around the midgame for free rather than the postgame, Team Aqua/Magma incorporated the grimer/koffing lines into their roster, many endgame trainers got new mons (I don't recall an ace trainer ever using a Pinsir in vanilla RSE), etc.
Yes, but Mauville City aside; a lot of that is VERY minor -- you're really talking about some minor trainer team changes and a slight re-organisation of where you get certain Pokémon (even if I agree that Granite Cave was pretty bad). Heck, aside from the latter; all of these changes were positive -- some areas were expanded and certain teams were spiced up to be more interesting. I would be pretty worried if the game had made no changes at all; and on the whole it was extremely faithful.

What I'm talking about is that if we had been given the same press release of "faithful and nostalgic" and shown the same points in ORAS that we've been shown so far of BDSP, we would have people assuming and worrying there'd be no Emerald content when that simply wasn't true.

Pokeshopper is legit, they've posted plenty of things ahead of time because they do have merchandise sources
Oh goddamnit.
No gimmicks meta lasted for all of One. Day. :psycry:

Really trying to be optimistic here but ffs, I just wanna battle without dealing with overly stupid shit in-game like "haha, Mega Lucario go brrrrrrrrrrrr" and Megas will also keep Competitive super degenerate.

It's exceedingly rare for me to say it, but if they come back, nerf Megas to the ground. Give em a good wallop with the nerf bat.

Eh, I feel Megas were mostly balanced and brought interesting elements to the metagame. There were obviously broken ones like Lucario and Kangaskhan, but that's no different from getting some broken 'mon like Cinderace or Naganadel; just ban 'em as they happen.

Either way this isn't really the place for competitive discussion. I'm just happy to see they might be back!

i will obviously wait until more information to make a final decision but this is the first time i am seriously considering not buying a mainline game. i suppose LGPE would also fit in that criteria as i only purchased it last year, but i at least understood the appeal of it.

im largely expecting the following from these:

- 493 available mons with most requiring a transfer via home. no patch coming to swsh to allow for the transfer of "new" gen 4 mons (gliscor), only the existing
- diamond/pearl base game with no platinum additions, maybe an NPC to alter giratina ala skymin npc
- smaller events allowing for pokemon like manaphy to be obtained naturally. azure flute event as well.
- HMs returning, TMs obviously returning (but remain reusable)
- no new mechanic that didn't exist in gen 4 (e.g. megas)

basically the most barebones remake of all time, with minor events that never happened natively in DP.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
My thoughts on Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl

Alright it's been roughtly 24h since the release of the trailers and the end of the Pokemon Present and the hot reaction is behind now. However I'm still pretty disappointed by what we got. While I don't hate that much anymore the graphics of the game overall, the chibi style of the characters is really hard to handle personally and definitively not my style at all. I trully think it looks worse than what we got with ORAS. I think this trait of the game will be the most difficult to bypass for me and for the moment the reason I'll not buy one of those game. I was hoping for something like ORAS with new content, some fresh air but I feel like we're not going to get any new things outside of the graphics. So yeah I'm hoping that those games will give us more in future trailers because for now, it's a hard pass for me.

493.png
My thoughts on Legends Pokemon Arceus
493.png

Way tougher to give an opinion on this one mainly because all the designs and informations we got are still from an early developted games so this will probably change quite a lot in the future (I hope so at least). I'm waiting to see how the game could turn out but it's definitively more exciting than BDSP..can't wait to see more trailers about this one.

Im fine with Megas coming back, hell even seeing new ones. Though now we have an interesting situation; Will the VGC meta shift to BDSP, or continue onwards with SWSH, assuming BDSP is gonna be pushed in a competitive spotlight. As everyone already knows, we're in the unrestricted format for the gen already, which usually signals the new game to come in and we start the process over. But these remakes arent like lets go, but its also defenitely not like SWSH, so im curious if GF would be willing to showcase 2 vastly different metagames at once; a tourney for Swsh and a tourney for the remakes.

I do have to admit, uh... I'm not sure either where "no dynamax" comes from? Like, yes, we haven't heard about it existing but they've never really dropped a big gimmick like that midway through the gen. I don't imagine it'll play a big part but I can easily see it being chucked at you post-game while you're going to the battle tower or something.

I do have to admit, uh... I'm not sure either where "no dynamax" comes from? Like, yes, we haven't heard about it existing but they've never really dropped a big gimmick like that midway through the gen. I don't imagine it'll play a big part but I can easily see it being chucked at you post-game while you're going to the battle tower or something.
Thing is unlike Mega evolution, Dynamax is location locked. Megas can pop up wherever the stones are, but as far as we currently know dynamax is Eternatus and galar exclusive. I can see something on the lines of the distortion warping powers of Giratina/Dialga/Palkia allowed Dynamax to exist somehow but i guess time will tell.

Also, they didn't migratze Z moves to Lets Go games,s o there is a precedent for it at least.

Thing is unlike Mega evolution, Dynamax is location locked. Megas can pop up wherever the stones are, but as far as we currently know dynamax is Eternatus and galar exclusive. I can see something on the lines of the distortion warping powers of Giratina/Dialga/Palkia allowed Dynamax to exist somehow but i guess time will tell.

Also, they didn't migratze Z moves to Lets Go games,s o there is a precedent for it at least.
I think people read a little too much into these lore reasons -- similar things were said about Megas and Z-moves, and there's no reason to believe Pokémon wouldn't contradict itself for the sake of gameplay. If something doesn't line up, okay, they'll just write around it so it does. Pre-established rules only matter as much as the writer needs them to matter.

Calyrex's blue glow indicates that Dynamax isn't exclusive to Eternatus.

Before ORAS, Megas were also location locked.

They have a precedent of retconning whatever they felt like changing.

24 hours (and some) afterwards, 8 pages of reading opinions to see if someone else's perspective could actually clear my mind with something I have not thought about yet, and I still cant' wrap my head around how I truly feel about the release of the remakes (I feel a lot more confident with my opinion on Legends, but that's another discussion).

Just to set the tone: Sirya is 100% right and I back up every word of those posts. The overwhelming majority of the playerbase and fanbase is so drunk on the little tidbits of participation trophies that later games have been giving out while actively attempting to turn us into a series of robots satisfied with a Go-like dull game like SwSh that we can't appreciate how much extra care games like HGSS carried. Just wait for the next raid event or given-out Mythical (which NEVER make sense in-game), and we're good!

And, to be fair, I don't even like HGSS that much. They're just an objectively above-par Pokemon release. SwSh are not.

Sinnoh is my favourite region, introducing many of my personal favourites (Infernape, Torterra, Rhyperior, Electivire...) together with a compelling set of legends (Lake Trio+Creation), very good Mythical Pokemon and their events (Darkrai and the sick kid, the infinite straight line of flowers leading to Shaymin, and the Azure Flute chills... I am not ashamed to say that I played all of them with every means possibile)... add to that my favourite route(s) of all of Pokemon games, the neverending climb to Snowpoint (I know, I'm weird). So having two announcements about Sinnoh should poke my interest, I daresay...

Let me preface one thing though: many games (Cyberpunk2077Fallout76) have been accused of, false advertising due to them showing in-game footage before release that looked way better than the actual games. This certainly will not be the case.

Is this good? Well, not a chance. I am deeply worried by how the games look, both in the overworld and in battle.
You can go with the Chibi models, but something felt off from the beginning, then I realized that I was put off by what Codraroll explained: the models' heads will overshadow everything, especially while moving. I can get along with the Chibi models and the tile structure (hell, I'm enjoying Dragon Quest XI's missions from the original games in 2D, which are graphically far, far worse), but not with how much distorted the movement looked.

Also, am I the only one to think that the color palette is completely off? Or is it my eyes?

I can't say anything about the battles sans that they look worse than XY's. And I guess that tells something.

Everything considered, graphically, you shouldn't remake a 2007 game in 2021 and make it look like it's from 2012, just saying.

I won't say anything else about what to expect, returning/missing Mons, Dex, which features to expect, what ifs and whatnots because it makes little sense to me and would only be a lot of wishful thinking, given that we know so little. I guess that the baseline should be that the games should be major improvement over the originals, all checkmarks for FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS (you could debate what was still missing, especially in ORAS, but they were an improvement from many standpoints).

The only speculation I'd make is that the legends will indeed have some new caveat to them, and I hope that the games have some continuity with SwSh in terms of compatibility and rosters. It would make little sense to outsource not-mainline games to keep the mainline games shitty forever.

That being said, I very, very much look forward to having the best set of starters ever at my disposal, chilling in the Old Chateau, climb Mt.Coronet as it gets procedurally more open as you advance, and get stuck in the snow. Especially getting stuck in the snow.

Last edited:
I don't know if I am being irrational, but I cant help but feel that this seems lazy. I long ago accepted that the games are just a vehicle to push merch and adjusted my expectations accordingly, but the one thing I thought Pokémon couldn't mess up was nostalgia. Overhaul some routes, update some buildings and add a tiny bit of new content ala ORAS and you meet expectations. Not really vibing with this 1:1 remake stuff since it just feels like doing less than the little needed to be done.
Literally zero reason to not play a difficulty hack of platinum instead and have a much better time since asking 2 employees to spend like 4 hours adding 3 Pokémon to each gym leaders roster, raising the level of the Pokémon in general, and adding coverage onto the Pokémon of important trainers in a hard mode is too much of an ask by fans of a franchise that doesn't have to worry about spending energy and time being inventive. Not to mention the platinum game I will play will actually have a battle frontier (I know it hasn't been confirmed not returning, but lol lets be real).

I could go into detail regarding individual things I hope to see in BDSP, but here's the primary thing I want to see addressed:

I realize what I'm about to say here is going to be a searing hot take, but... DPP are probably my least favorite games in the series. I don't dislike them (hell, I just finished replaying Platinum), but they have a lot of problems that always leave a bad taste in my mouth whenever I play them, and most of them trace back to one collective issue: the pacing. The games feel more sluggish and tedious than pretty much any other game in the series, battle animations seem unnecessarily long, and the level curve is the second worst in the series after GSC's. Platinum improved them a little bit, but not significantly enough to make me feel any different towards them. And this isn't exactly helped by the games' tendencies to bury the player in mud or snow, the fog that only seems to exist for the sake of making a new HM move (which would be garbage in battle until Gen 6), and the game taking about 5 times as long to save whenever you catch a new Pokemon or move them in or out of your PC ("Saving a lot of data"). Gen 5 was on the same system and didn't have any of these problems despite being vastly more intricate across the board, so I'm not really sure what Gen 4's major malfunction is. Considering how much people rag on regions like Alola for the opening tutorial, Hoenn for all the water, and Galar for (insert whatever new thing people find to bitch about here), I'm honestly at a loss as to how Sinnoh never seems to get any flack for what I would consider a more serious flaw than the ones in all of those other regions combined.

Fix that without adding any major flaws in the process, and BDSP will immediately become games I'd prefer over the originals any day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)