Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Still have my concerns about whether there will be anything new added to the experience of BDSP that allows it to differentiate itself from DP. HGSS added loads of content to the game while ORAS magnificently fleshed out the characters and story and both took the base adventure of their originals and made them even better, updating the experience to modern standards.

I have no doubt that BDSP will be a good game, and I expect it to be on par with the originals with some polish (no slowness, QoL changes added, and better music engine all to refine the experience into a more playable version of DP), but it would be disappointing if they don't add anything new to the experience like HGSS and ORAS did, and the way the boxart and the Lucas/Dawn artworks being strictly the 3D models appears raises concerns that this may not really push the boundaries, and is trying to ride too much on the nostalgia train like all of the Kanto remakes did.

I hope we'll get some trailers and they have something new they can show us, but the release date being revealed behind our backs does also raise some concerns on that front too.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
A game having their release date announced before any new content, even if it is a remake, is a sign of questionable game management. The key word here is management as opposed to design, as it’s still too early to tell whether or not it’s Game Freak that sucks or just Pokémon in general becoming a lazy sh** show that’s started falling to Madden levels of copy-pasted material every year.

If you couldn’t tell, I just need to vent a little bit. Cue the among us jokes

Still have my concerns about whether there will be anything new added to the experience of BDSP that allows it to differentiate itself from DP. HGSS added loads of content to the game while ORAS magnificently fleshed out the characters and story and both took the base adventure of their originals and made them even better, updating the experience to modern standards.

I have no doubt that BDSP will be a good game, and I expect it to be on par with the originals with some polish (no slowness, QoL changes added, and better music engine all to refine the experience into a more playable version of DP), but it would be disappointing if they don't add anything new to the experience like HGSS and ORAS did, and the way the boxart and the Lucas/Dawn artworks being strictly the 3D models appears raises concerns that this may not really push the boundaries, and is trying to ride too much on the nostalgia train like all of the Kanto remakes did.

I hope we'll get some trailers and they have something new they can show us, but the release date being revealed behind our backs does also raise some concerns on that front too.
To be fair they did the same thing with Legends Arceus today.
I dunno why they revealed the release dates & box arts ahead of e3, but I imagine they'll show a trailer at e3 proper. Maybe have some new stuff in it.

That said I strongly doubt there will be much, beyond maybe mega evolutions, if anything. They have underlined that wow this is DP just like you remember it! and I would be surprised if it wasn't a fairly straight remake, updated to various modern standards and then some (underlining some here, and v ery light and I still wouldn't be surprised if there wasnt anything major from it) Platinum stuff and maybe some extra post-game Pokemon.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
To be fair they did the same thing with Legends Arceus today.
I dunno why they revealed the release dates & box arts ahead of e3, but I imagine they'll show a trailer at e3 proper. Maybe have some new stuff in it.

That said I strongly doubt there will be much, beyond maybe mega evolutions, if anything. They have underlined that wow this is DP just like you remember it! and I would be surprised if it wasn't a fairly straight remake, updated to various modern standards and then some Platinum stuff and maybe some extra post-game Pokemon.
I’m gonna need a reason to buy any of the three games. In fact, would any of you happen to know where one could make a thread post somewhere on Smogon that’s relevant to me considering quitting the franchise outright? This isn’t exactly the place for me to do that, but boy do I have my reasons.

I’m gonna need a reason to buy any of the three games. In fact, would any of you happen to know where one could make a thread post somewhere on Smogon that’s relevant to me considering quitting the franchise outright? This isn’t exactly the place for me to do that, but boy do I have my reasons.
I mean it sounds like you are just not interested in the franchise any more and I highly doubt this forum would convince you otherwise. Legitimately, just quit. You'll probably be happier

Yeah these covers are insanely detailed. Joe Merrick noticed that they literally textured Dialga's TOUNGE on the model.
they literally gave Dialga tastebuds rolf
Yeah, but I'm trying to find that really high-resolution image but I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: I found a high-res version. Palkia does look like it's feathered. Even the armor plates have feathers. (Although I can see why Pokexperto would think it's hair...)

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That said I strongly doubt there will be much, beyond maybe mega evolutions, if anything. They have underlined that wow this is DP just like you remember it! and I would be surprised if it wasn't a fairly straight remake, updated to various modern standards and then some (underlining some here, and v ery light and I still wouldn't be surprised if there wasnt anything major from it) Platinum stuff and maybe some extra post-game Pokemon.
I'm wondering if this is related to the strict creative control Game Freak tends to impose on Pokémon games not directly developed by them. Other Nintendo properties throw out Mario hats and Kirby stars and Triforces to cameo in other games like confetti, while Pokémon's presence is relatively low compared to its immense popularity. There's also the suspicious lack of Pokémon Amiibo (beyond those featured in Smash Bros.), and Pokémon Go not being allowed to make edits to certain shiny palettes to make them stand out more. It's as if Game Freak doesn't want anybody but themselves to have a creative say with Pokémon. BDSP is not made by Game Freak.

We've already seen how these games appear to be replicating the original DP to ridiculous degrees, such as using the animated sprites for reference for how characters move (despite this not working well in 3D at all), and the region being a tile-by-tile remake. It could be that the studio has been told not to change, remove, or add a single comma from the original games lest they be lawyered out of existence. Hoping for new forms or new Pokémon might be too much of a long shot in that case.

Then again … every main series game since Ruby and Sapphire has added at least one new form of some Pokémon or other, if not new Pokémon entirely. HGSS only had the Spiky-eared Pichu, but even that was something. TPC knows that new Pokémon forms are a sales pusher, so perhaps they would include it just for the PR value. Then again, those could be pushed to the late post-game. Like you play though the entire game and then somebody gives you a Squibble as a gift when you enter the Battle Tower.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I'm not getting these on release date because I want to wait to hear how much they've changed. If it's just D/P but faster and with some small improvements, there's not much reason to not just play Platinum on an emulator with speedup. I'm not super optimistic that they'll add enough new experience to justify spending money on this game for me, but they haven't really given away much so far so it's up in the air.

I can understand the sentiment. If it were not for the fact it would be my chance to play it legitimately, without having to download a ROM, for the first time (and the originals are horribly expensive by now), which is a really big deal for me, I would also be thinking twice before considering whether to buy it or not.

Last edited:
I'm not getting these on release date because I want to wait to hear how much they've changed. If it's just D/P but faster and with some small improvements, there's not much reason to not just play Platinum on an emulator with speedup. I'm not super optimistic that they'll add enough new experience to justify spending money on this game for me, but they haven't really given away much so far so it's up in the air.
I can understand the sentiment. If it were not for the fact it would be my chance to play it legitimately for the first time (and the originals are horribly expensive by now), which is a really big deal for me, I would also be thinking twice before considering whether to buy it or not.
I agree with both of these actually, and do hope that I can have the chance to play DPP (But remade) for the first time. But if all else fails, I am willing to emulate the originals if the remakes seem to be just the exact same as the originals. However, I do hope that they add something new and I feel like they probably will, if only to make them sell better.

A faithful remake with just a new coat of paint could work, look at the Link's Awakening remake, but it is better to wait if you are unsure. The over texturalized box art is good sign, maybe there is more to the graphics after all in the finished game.

Palkia was always a odd ball so it having feathers go very well with its weirdness.

A faithful remake with just a new coat of paint could work, look at the Link's Awakening remake, but it is better to wait if you are unsure. The over texturalized box art is good sign, maybe there is more to the graphics after all in the finished game.

Palkia was always a odd ball so it having feathers go very well with its weirdness.
I remember Link's Awakening putting a pretty big emphasis on the new dungeon builder during promo season, actually. I never played the game, though, so I don't know if it was a big feature.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Based on the art and design of this game, it really gives me the impression of being a side game or a "in between two main titles" game like Let's go.
It's definitely possible that GF views it that way, since Legends is their main project right now (aren't BD/SP being outsourced to another studio?) and is pretty ambitious for them. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just an afterthought, their way of satisfying the people who want more Pokémon (or just Sinnoh remakes) but won't go for Legends.

SidTheShuckle

Everyday I’m Shucklin’
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
yo the Box Art legends are crazy! but idk if this means new forms like Primal Dialga or Primal Palkia... wait! what if? the statue in Eterna city brings in a new fusion??? nah that's reaching! :bloblul: esp coz this is based off the manga.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)