Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I don't why so many people are worried about Fairy-types making Garchomp less scary. Like yeah, it's a Dragon-type, but it also has STAB Earthquake, which is barely weaker than super effective Poison Jab and Iron Head.

100 × 1.5 = 150
80 × 2 = 160

It's a fucking Garchomp, y'all. Of course it's still going to be terrifying.
sometimes you just gotta go all in on the power man. especially against those dinky hellspawn known as togekiss..but hey. i suppose you could always take giga impact to chunk any old fairy, i guess.....

I don't why so many people are worried about Fairy-types making Garchomp less scary. Like yeah, it's a Dragon-type, but it also has STAB Earthquake, which is barely weaker than super effective Poison Jab and Iron Head.

100 × 1.5 = 150
80 × 2 = 160

It's a fucking Garchomp, y'all. Of course it's still going to be terrifying.
I thought we got over this "Garchomp needs Poison Jab/Iron Head for Fairies" back in Gen VI...

(And besides, it could always use the moveset from Gen V, which has Stone Edge for Togekiss, and Crunch for Bronzong)

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Seems like Nintendo's French twitter confirmed BDSP will stick to the mons that existed as of Gen 4
Could someone translate this word for word?

If they really are limiting BDSP to Gen 4's 493, which I'd expect even without leaks, I'm sure Sylveon will be in too because of Eevee, but I wonder about Galarian Evolutions. Will BDSP have Regional Variants? I'm guessing no because they're from after Gen 4, but Let's Go had them and it seems weird to be able to move one version of Vulpix (Original) from Home but not the other. (Alolan)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Could someone translate this word for word?

If they really are limiting BDSP to Gen 4's 493, which I'd expect even without leaks, I'm sure Sylveon will be in too because of Eevee, but I wonder about Galarian Evolutions. Will BDSP have Regional Variants? I'm guessing no because they're from after Gen 4, but Let's Go had them and it seems weird to be able to move one version of Vulpix (Original) from Home but not the other. (Alolan)
Google translated statement from Kelios: "I was sent a screen from a sponsored publication from Nintendo France. Obviously, provided they are not mistaken in the formulation(?), the remakes will offer just the first 4 generations of Pokémon, so exit (no) 5G / 6G / 7G and 8G"

The ad itself: "(Re) discover all the Pokemon up to 4G, the Grand Underground, Team Galaxy and many other surprises! Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl arrive 19/11 (November 19) on Nintendo Switch."

Fusion Flare

Google translated statement from Kelios: "I was sent a screen from a sponsored publication from Nintendo France. Obviously, provided they are not mistaken in the formulation(?), the remakes will offer just the first 4 generations of Pokémon, so exit (no) 5G / 6G / 7G and 8G"

The ad itself: "(Re) discover all the Pokemon up to 4G, the Grand Underground, Team Galaxy and many other surprises! Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl arrive 19/11 (November 19) on Nintendo Switch."
well shit, there goes me transferring some of my shinymons to the hot new games.

bronzong gang rise up with the immunity to earthquake the resistance to dragon rush the neutrality to brick break and the resistance to giga impact
Platinum Chomp's Flamethrower says hi...even off its lower Special Attack, Bronzong can do virtually nothing in return.

Cool teams. I've been holding off on stating my potential team without knowing everything that will be available. But fuck it. I'll propose one with the assumption that all these mons are actually available:

:bw/infernape: :bw/gastrodon: :bw/rotom-wash: :bw/glaceon: :bw/honchkrow: :bw/gliscor:

Some overlapping types but whatever. It's a cool group of Sinnoh only mons to me, some of which I've never used and am curious how they perform (Rotom, Gliscor).

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.

Well, this'll be interesting. A game that my still playing gen 6 ass can fully understand with no prior research in 2021. Looking forward to playing with new Pokémon if they're all going to be available in-game.

And here I thought my french immersion classes were going to be useless after it was discovered that having the least social person in a family know the most of a secondary language isn't a good arrangement

Per my reading, "All the Pokemon up to gen 4," while it probably means that it does not include all gen 5+ pokemon, does not prevent some later mons from appearing. So I'm not necessarily sure this actually provides much information.

Side note: I'm not used to official sources actually using the Generation labeling to distinguish sets of mons. It could be the different team handling a different language, or that I'm not on twitter much, but it does also leave me a bit suspicious of the image.

Fusion Flare

When I was checking earlier I missed this because....I clicked her Platinum rematch team.

For some reason, all her pokemon (except Togekiss, obviously) use their DP movesets even if they're a downgrade.
That's DP, rather than the rematch variant. In her first challenge in Platinum, Her Spiritomb has Shadow Ball rather than Embargo, her Lucario has Shadow Ball, Stone Edge, and Espeed, rather than EQ-Psychic-Dragon Pulse. Roserade has Toxic rather than Shadow Ball, and her Milotic carries Dragon Pulse rather than Aqua Ring

That's DP, rather than the rematch variant. In her first challenge in Platinum, Her Spiritomb has Shadow Ball rather than Embargo, her Lucario has Shadow Ball, Stone Edge, and Espeed, rather than EQ-Psychic-Dragon Pulse. Roserade has Toxic rather than Shadow Ball, and her Milotic carries Dragon Pulse rather than Aqua Ring
I know, I was explaining why I didn't spot the flamethrower: I clicked the rematch instead of the base.
Her base Platinum battle has all those changes. Her Platinum Rematch reverts them all to DP.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Seems like Nintendo's French twitter confirmed BDSP will stick to the mons that existed as of Gen 4
For the record, in that same tweet Kelios added an addendum tweet directly after that one saying "So, either they consider that we can play the adventure only with 1/2/3/4G and that post-adventure we can have the other generations via a National Pokedex, or we will have access only to the first 4 G even after the adventure."

In other words, Kelios has made it clear that it's open to interpretation as of now. I don't consider the former prospect to be likely, per se, but it's still not out of the question for select group of Gen 5 onwards Pokemon to be included at least in the post-game after defeating Cynthia, except not with an extended Dex (not likely) but said mons may very well be treated as "foreign" Pokemon who don't have dex entries at all but have their data programmed and are usable. That said, the more likely scenario for Gen 5+ Pokemon who are still missing if they are to return is that many of them may show up in Legends: Arceus rather than this game, as maybe the latter game will take more liberties as to what's available for use in the Legends adventure.

got a few.

1: is the gym leader order the same as in platinum? the LARGE gap between gyms 2 and 3 in DP is annoying, and it won't be something i look forward to.

2: will cynthia's garchomp be prepared against the incoming wave of fairy types who think they can flaunt their new typing in the face of a mon that has put the fear into hundreds of fans? aka, will it have poison jab?

3: will the prism scale be included? milotic sounds cool as hell to use, so i might try that.

anyways, questions aside, i'd like to talk about the pokemon I'LL be using for BDSP.
Absolutely Guaranteed Members:
:bw/piplup: :bw/empoleon:
Now, I like all the Sinnoh Starters, but to me, Empoleon is the King of Kings. Piplup is fuckin adorable, and while Prinplup is a victim of the "awkward midle stages" I truly ADORE Empoleon. I also think that most of the water starters are generally the coolest out of their starter trios (except inteleon, fuck that guy) so this will be my main decision for my first playthrough.

:bw/tangrowth:
If you know me, you know that i never shut the fuck up about Tangrowth, because GOD tangrowth is so based. even though you do have to wait a little to get it in pokemon platinum, i can make the exception because its worth it to get one of, if not my favorite pokemon.
Incredibly Likely:

:bw/houndoom::bw/magmortar:
When it comes to fire-types, there are such few and far between...Infernape is locked off as a fellow starter unless I want it transferred from someone else, and Flareon and Rapidash are a no-go for me. So! That leaves these two! I for one, prefer Magmortar much more, primarily due to the nuclear power and the fact i've used it before, but I can understand people who prefer Houndoom, what with the Dark STAB and not having giant fucking lips for a mouth.

From there, there are quite a lot of pokemon to choose from when it comes to what i want on a sinnoh team. And lots of them are very interesting as well....Ah, but what to choose, however..?

:bw/garchomp: :bw/gliscor: :bw/rhyperior:
Ground types? If the encounter tables are identical to that of Platinum, then no doubt will these be very early, and very good choices...you can never go wrong with the raw power of STAB Earthquake...
:bw/honchkrow: :bw/weavile:
Dark types? Ah...but some come later than others, and the ones that I prefer evolve very, very late. Regardless, their intimidating looks and excellent offensive prowess is desirable.....
:bw/toxicroak: :bw/drapion: :bw/crobat:
Poison Types? With the culmination of the new Fairy Type knocking on the door of the Sinnoh Remakes, It won't be as simple as knocking down the Clefairies riddled through Sinnoh with a Brick Break or two, so these may come in use...
:bw/gengar: :bw/spiritomb: :bw/mismagius:
Ghost Types? Some are fast, but some are very, very slow....regardless, such useful utility against fighting types is no less useful...these astral allies will make for quite an effective
:bw/froslass: :bw/mamoswine:
Ice Types? Make sure to bring a jacket or two...these are often necessary to fend off the wrath of the Champion. Half of Cynthia's team doesn't fancy Ice Moves, did you know? And with her signature Pokemon...you'll need to cool her down as fast as possible....

and that's what i'd choose for my team in sinnoh. but now that i think of it, maybe recreating old friends isn't so bad, either. I do have pokemon teams that I fancy i could use once more... like some of my friends here.
:bw/torterra: :bw/drifblim: :bw/floatzel: :bw/lucario: :bw/skuntank: :bw/alakazam:
:bw/infernape: :bw/roserade: :bw/vaporeon: :bw/mamoswine: :bw/magnezone: :bw/yanmega:
:bw/empoleon: :bw/garchomp: :bw/crobat: :bw/magmortar: :bw/gallade: :bw/jolteon:

This Sinnoh experience will be very intriguing, and i await the games with great interest.
I think Inteleon's line was Gen 8's starter line where everyone loves the first two stages and then when the third is revealed people are like "Game Freak what happened." Like Delphox and Incineroar.
Anyway, about the only gens 1-4 thing: I really don't see Sylveon getting left out, but it would feel weird to have that in the game but nothing else from gens 5-8.

If they have regional forms, like in Let's Go, while it would be odd to lack Sirfetch'd, Cursola, Obstagoon and Mr Rime (probably the most relevant since Mr Mime's line will be normally available without any outside shenanigans) I could see them forgo them. 4 of them aren't readily available to begin with and they equate directly with already single staged pokemon or pokemon already at the end of their line.

Perrserker, however, would stick out because Meowth-G would just be....a meowth that can't evolve, basically. There's two other Meowth that get to evolve alongside it.

Do we know if this game will be a strict 1-1 remake of gen 4's battle engine or if it will be modern, for example Fairy type + steel no longer resisting ghost etc?

I hope so but do you have a source that proves they will?
In the contest section of the recent trailer, Charm was shown to be Fairy-type. The icon is different from the usual Fairy-type icon, but it's definitely not a Cute icon because Growl, Role Play, and Encore show icons for Normal and Psychic (Psychic is also different from the usual icon, but the colors match for both and Normal's plain circle is unmistakable).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)