Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I hope so but do you have a source that proves they will?
No, but when it comes to the background battling mechanics they've always used the most recent.

FRLG had Abilities & Dark & Steel-types.
HGSS had Physical-Special Split.
ORAS had Physical-Special Split, Fairy-types (& Mega Evos).
Let's Go was an odd case having no Abilities but it was more trying to match GO so had all the Types plus Regional Variants and Mega Evos on top of that (as well as the Physical-Special split).

There would be no reason for BDSP not to have Fairy-types at the very least (and the Type changes they also done over the years).

I think Inteleon's line was Gen 8's starter line where everyone loves the first two stages and then when the third is revealed people are like "Game Freak what happened." Like Delphox and Incineroar.
Anyway, about the only gens 1-4 thing: I really don't see Sylveon getting left out, but it would feel weird to have that in the game but nothing else from gens 5-8.
PMD RTDX: Allow us to introduce ourselves

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
As this thread has started to descend into looped conversations, I am going to lock this thread in around 24-36 hours. If you have any closing thoughts, now is the time to post them.

We will of course unlock when we get more major news, but chances are it'll be smooth sailing from here out. Just over 11 weeks to go!

No, but when it comes to the background battling mechanics they've always used the most recent.

Let's Go was an odd case having no Abilities but it was more trying to match GO so had all the Types plus Regional Variants and Mega Evos on top of that (as well as the Physical-Special split).

There would be no reason for BDSP not to have Fairy-types at the very least (and the Type changes they also done over the years).
Those were all main series games part of the gen they were released in. DP remakes appear to be closer to 1-1 remakes minus a few changes. Those previous remakes were simply older games rebuilt with the current gen's engine. LGPE were not built off the USUM engine and clearly DP remakes are not based off SWSH. LGPE had numerous battle changes that separated itself from gen 7 and it's reasonable to believe that DP remakes might also have a different battle system.

I'm asking if there's any proof that from pre-release pictures or videos that fairy types or other modern changes are actually returning. I don't like when people jump to conclusions without proof, so I'm just asking if in any of the trailers if we've actually seen a fairy type or some other proof that the battle system is from gen 8. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just looking for evidence.

Last edited:
PMD RTDX: Allow us to introduce ourselves
Exactly.

It wouldn't really be that weird to have only what is in Gen 1 to 4 + Sylveon, because... well, Sylveon is the only cross-generational evolution introduced after that.

But then again... Sylveon wasn't present in Let's GO, so who knows?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
clearly DP remakes are not based off SWSH
While BDSP don't have the same art style or overworld of SwSh, namely in the overworld segments, the battles are evidently very much in Gen 8's engine, which solidifies that BDSP are Gen 8 games. Sure, the overworld is top down and looks nothing like SwSh's overworld, but the battles have the same/similar UI and many of the moves we saw in both trailers use the same animations as in SwSh, which makes it clear that battles in BDSP are in the Gen 8 battle engine.

On that notion it is reasonable to believe battles will be modernized with Fairy and new type match ups. That being said, we don't have explicit confirmation that Dark and Ghost now hit Steel neutrally and we don't have evidence of that just yet, if that's what you're asking. As for Fairy, as said one of the Contest shots in the second trailer suggests that it's back.

Closing thoughts:
This game needs to add something decent that we haven't seen in a pokemon game before. Not just things that weren't in DPPt.
They need to at least attempt to make up for not having all the platinum stuff.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Closing thoughts:
This game needs to add something decent that we haven't seen in a pokemon game before. Not just things that weren't in DPPt.
They need to at least attempt to make up for not having all the platinum stuff.
We have no idea if this is/isn't the case. Also the UnderGround looks like a massive revamp compared to what it was before, so I am not sure what you are getting at with this comment.

We have no idea if this is/isn't the case. Also the UnderGround looks like a massive revamp compared to what it was before, so I am not sure what you are getting at with this comment.
The Underground looks pretty shallow so far TBH. Its just placing statues to attract a couple of pokemon. It also isn't really brand new, since you could do something very similar in the HGSS Safari Zone.

Maybe they'll add something more later. But BDSP is out in less than 3 months. They've released two trailers for BDSP. Can you blame me for being sceptical when there is almost nothing actually new to the franchise in either of them?

Look how much new stuff the ORAS trailer shows:
Primals, new megas, dex nav, soaring and the promise of an expanded storyline.

I'm not giving DBSP the benefit of the doubt when they've shown so much less new stuff than we got in the other remakes this close to release.

I wouldn't use GFs backstory this time, because at this moment they are unpredictable.

As you've clearly stated (and it's true), until this point in time the Pokémon franchise was always that predictable. You had a new generation (starting from third gen), then you had remakes that incorporate all the new Pokédex limit (386 in 3, 493 in 4, and so on) + the new mechanics (be it mega evolutions, inclussion of abilities and natures, types, splits, etcetera, etcetera) and even graphically they looked similar because they used the same engine.

That is not the case with BPSD. This are -for the first time- not developed by Game Freak, and they clearly aren't of the same nature than past remakes, starting with the visualls; they just aren't the "FRLG" of RSE, nor the "HGSS" of DPPl. They are something different, more akin to a Spin-Off portraying a main series entry. So, I'd expect Fairy type at least, but I wouldn't expect a Pokédex that equals that of 8th Gen nor SwSh inherent mechanics. These are a different kind of remake.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The Underground looks pretty shallow so far TBH. Its just placing statues to attract a couple of pokemon. It also isn't really brand new, since you could do something very similar in the HGSS Safari Zone.

Maybe they'll add something more later. But BDSP is out in less than 3 months. They've released two trailers for BDSP. Can you blame me for being sceptical when there is almost nothing actually new to the franchise in either of them?

Look how much new stuff the ORAS trailer shows:
Primals, new megas, dex nav, soaring and the promise of an expanded storyline.

I'm not giving DBSP the benefit of the doubt when they've shown so much less new stuff than we got in the other remakes this close to release.
Like I said earlier, GF's marketing strategy has changed since the 3DS days. The massive volume of reveals was widely disparaged for showing too much too fast, for ORAS in particular there was basically nothing kept hidden. It was even worse for SM - forget a remake, an entire new region was almost completely spoiled! Even if the demo datamine hadn't happened the amount of Pokemon left for players to find on their own would be in the single digits. And when such a big part of Pokemon's identity is the wonder and mystery of a new region, that's a big problem. I even believe there's an interview from sometime after SM where one of Game Freak's senior staff expresses remorse at this approach and how it left little to discover by the time games would come out, although I'm not 100% sure on that admittedly. Regardless, starting with base SWSH there's been a very obvious and noticeable truncating of information to prevent this mistake from repeating - that game didn't even reveal its starter evolutions, for crying out loud!

Like I said earlier, GF's marketing strategy has changed since the 3DS days. The massive volume of reveals was widely disparaged for showing too much too fast, for ORAS in particular there was basically nothing kept hidden. It was even worse for SM - forget a remake, an entire new region was almost completely spoiled! Even if the demo datamine hadn't happened the amount of Pokemon left for players to find on their own would be in the single digits. And when such a big part of Pokemon's identity is the wonder and mystery of a new region, that's a big problem. I even believe there's an interview from sometime after SM where one of Game Freak's senior staff expresses remorse at this approach and how it left little to discover by the time games would come out, although I'm not 100% sure on that admittedly. Regardless, starting with base SWSH there's been a very obvious and noticeable truncating of information to prevent this mistake from repeating - that game didn't even reveal its starter evolutions, for crying out loud!
I get not wanting to reveal too much. I would like a nice day 1 reveal or two when BDSP comes out. But there's a balance between holding some good stuff back so you get exciting headlines on day 1, and just not having a lot of new stuff for a trailer.

If they had both brand new content, and most of the good stuff from platinum, they could reveal something exciting now and hold the rest for release. They were so excited to show off seals and the rhythm action part of contests. But didn't show anything platinum exclusive besides a bigger regional dex.

The last minute of the trailer was just "team galactic still exists, and the box legendaries still exist". That part would have been perfect if they had new storyline stuff or a new dialga and palia form to show off. But there was no hint of any of that.

Closing thoughts:

This game looks really fun and I can't wait to play my first Sinnoh game. I was a bit hesitant at first but after the second trailer I'm really excited.

Also I changed my mind and I'm choosing Torterra.

No matter how the game will be, someone will complain.
I mean... SwSh got like 90% critical on Metacritic... I suspect BDSP will get mostly good critic reviews and a lot of good audience reviews even if its terrible.
But yeah, there will also probably be review bombing and complaints even if it does exceed most people's expectations.

One thing that I have learned over the last 23 years of Pokemon being in the west, is that because people like very different aspects of the franchise from each other, that there will always be people arguing over whether any given part of the largest multimedia franchise of all time is good or bad, especially the games.

Pokemon is not my favorite franchise, but it is like a comfort food I am always willing to go back to. As such I have never been disappointed with any mainline title. I can't really put what I like about the series into a real words, but I am satisfied with every game I have played, even if it isn't the best gaming experience for its respective console.

I will most likely enjoy BDSP for what it is, as I have with the other four Switch titles thusfar.

Last edited:

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Closing thoughts: I think this game is gonna be alright. Sinnoh is a pretty good region, but even Platinum has some pretty glaring issues that can detract from the experience (speed, HMs, etc.), so there's definitely room for improvement here. I'm also looking forward to playing around with the new stuff they introduce via the Grand Underground. I was disappointed by the apparent lack of a full Battle Frontier, but it's not game-ruining and the Battle Tower will still be fun if they don't fuck it up.

I'm more interested now that they've tweaked the graphics and stuff like the Pokedex have been assuaged. They'll probably be fine little games and I'll enjoy my trip down Sinnoh lane again, a region I'm actually pretty nostalgic for.

That said there's still a few lingering issues, EXP share primarily, that I hope to see resolved. Ideally we'll continue getting monthly updates considering the game comes out in November....

I do think Gen 6 Exp. Share should be a staple forever. It promotes incorporing new members to the team and training them all to accesible levels without the tedious grinding. They fail in the aplication because there's no level limit, and it should be. A trainer's skill is conceptually represented by their team. Levels don't exist in the Pokémon World, there's no lvl. 17 Nidoran, there's just a Nidoran, weaker or stronger. Levels are an external representation of a Pokémon power for the player (no the in-game characters) to see, and so it makes no sense that a trainer with 1 medal can have a level 70 Pokémon.

The numbers of medals you have should be a clear representation of the skill level the trainer has demostrated until that point, and so your maximum level should be capped to that of the last medal you've obtained. That way you'll always fight par on par with every trainer in the routes, and the battle against the next leader will always be in the same level as them. With this, GEn 6 Exp. Share allows for a easy customization of the team at any moment given, since it's extremely quick to level up fresly-catched members, and this will allow the game design to depict more challenging leaders, because your options have increased.

I’m still on the fence of whether I should get SP or not; I have genuinely enjoyed what I’ve seen, but I’m still sort of burnt Shield. It is tempting since I have not played a Sinnoh game since I was a kid, and Pearl was my first game.

If I do play it, it will be a casual playthrough with these goals in mind:

1. Complete the Regional Dex

2. Get a 200 Win Streak at Battle Tower

3. Gain All ribbons for Super Contests.

I was a total noob playing through Pearl on my first time, this remake would be a great opportunity to play it properly.

Levels are an external representation of a Pokémon power for the player (no the in-game characters) to see, and so it makes no sense that a trainer with 1 medal can have a level 70 Pokémon.
This is something I run into a lot, though mostly in a tabletop RPG context. Stuff like levels or exact HP are stated as something the characters cannot know about, despite experiments existing that would confirm the concept's existence. I'm willing to accept that the characters don't know about them at any given time just because research hasn't been focused there, but it doesn't sit well to override the game itself to make it impossible to know.

Well, if I'm ever making a fan project pokemon region, I now know what the professor is going to focus on.

I do think Gen 6 Exp. Share should be a staple forever. It promotes incorporing new members to the team and training them all to accesible levels without the tedious grinding. They fail in the aplication because there's no level limit, and it should be.
That is kind of the crux of it. The convenience when getting your team levelled up is great. Gen VIII has made it quicker than ever to get your mons competitive ready (besides needling like a million Dynamax Candies if you IV Breed everything).

But having exp.share in-game also means that your whole team grows up so quickly that you aren't putting time and effort into letting any pokemon grow. Even though a little grinding is usually okay in an RPG.

I think the Exp. Share held item should be available in-game. But the key item should be an option and possible a post-game item.

All I want is the ability to turn it on-off to come back.

Also don't just....give an item that increases EXP Gain and then force it on you and then not let you turn THAT off either. Like I don't know if the EXP Charm is ever coming back and it was a DLC thing but also don't do that again.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do think Gen 6 Exp. Share should be a staple forever. It promotes incorporing new members to the team and training them all to accesible levels without the tedious grinding. They fail in the aplication because there's no level limit, and it should be. A trainer's skill is conceptually represented by their team. Levels don't exist in the Pokémon World, there's no lvl. 17 Nidoran, there's just a Nidoran, weaker or stronger. Levels are an external representation of a Pokémon power for the player (no the in-game characters) to see, and so it makes no sense that a trainer with 1 medal can have a level 70 Pokémon.

The numbers of medals you have should be a clear representation of the skill level the trainer has demostrated until that point, and so your maximum level should be capped to that of the last medal you've obtained. That way you'll always fight par on par with every trainer in the routes, and the battle against the next leader will always be in the same level as them. With this, GEn 6 Exp. Share allows for a easy customization of the team at any moment given, since it's extremely quick to level up fresly-catched members, and this will allow the game design to depict more challenging leaders, because your options have increased.
A level limit sounds like a good solution in theory but in practice it creates a new problem in that it effectively becomes highly restrictive as to how much leeway you have when playing the game. One of the biggest draws to Pokemon for many people is that you can play however you want, and a level limit completely murders that. You want to do a monotype run? That would be dead in the water because now you can't rely on a decent level advantage to make up for a type disadvantage in a Gym. Are you a kid at heart, and you want to brute force through the entire game with just your awesome starter? Good luck doing that now, you can't rely on overlevelling your starter to make up for the numbers disadvantage.

You may see it as imposing "extra-official rules" but many people who play Pokemon genuinely enjoy trying to do things that are out of the box or in some cases I think many kids may be inclined to just use their awesome and epic starter and just that to blow through the game. Many people have solo'd RS or DP in the past with just the likes of Swampert or Infernape. A level limit would straight up ensure that that's not possible anymore. Pokemon has always given players a healthy amount of leeway in how they want to play the games and level limits would straight up kill any semblance of freedom in how to approach and play the game.

Now granted, there's a such thing as having too much leeway, which is what Sword and Shield fell into the pitfall of doing. It was balanced around the base EXP All mechanic just fine, but it was not balanced around EXP Candies. The Wild Area lets you get those from Raids and you can straight up pump your mons with Candies and walk in with vastly overleveled mons. You can't do this normally by just sticking to training your mons against normal NPCs. Or the case of getting Stone evos before the first Gym, free with Move Relearners that give them their best moves off the bat. But a level limit goes too far in the other direction, and basically ensures that you have absolutely no leeway whatsoever. You are forced into the rotating Pokemon playstyle and forcing type diversity, and not everyone will find this fun. Many enjoy doing unconventional runs of Pokemon games and this would completely go against that.

Maybe if they do a challenge mode, such an idea would be feasible, but Pokemon games have always thrived on giving players a healthy degree of leeway to how a player can approach the game and still succeed. That's a kind of flexibility you don't get from other RPGs and is one of the reasons why Pokemon is so popular to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)