Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Considering how ridiculously fun the game is when you can use way more than just 6 Pokémon with next to no waste of time, I still fail to see how a mandatory Exp. All is a problem.

Considering how ridiculously fun the game is when you can use way more than just 6 Pokémon with next to no waste of time, I still fail to see how a mandatory Exp. All is a problem.
Why should someone be forced into such a playstyle is the question.

And for me, the reason I prefer a standard team of six is because I'm matching my opponents' playstyle. In Platinum for example, I don't see Barry and Cynthia swapping random Pokémon in and out of their various battles. No, they have a standard signature team and I like matching them with my own signature team. It seems incongruous to me for you as the protagonist to be the only one using a rotating team when none of the other strong trainers around you do.

I think if they're going to do mandatory exp all they need to balance the game around it better. I don't know if it did anything different but I didn't feel overleveled in Ultra Sun and I used the exp share throughout the entire game. The only Pokemon that ended up a little overleveled was a Lycanroc I got traded, which get more exp by default

Strangely I didn't feel overleveled in Shield either, but I didn't use the exp candies because it was my first game and I had no idea what those were

Regardless of how it effects gameplay or difficulty I still think it should always be an option. Doesn't really hurt anybody if it's an option compared to mandatory

I do not think it's fun, primarily.
Which, in gens 6 & 7, was not a problem, because you could turn it on and enjoy it and i could turn it off and not enjoy THAT. But now it's forced on.

And to be frank the game still isn't set to make that the "way to play". They sure as hell don't play up this fact in interviews, instead doing its stupid "simply put them all in the box and level up one at a time", wild pokemon trend towards being higher than near by trainers, trainers still rarely reach 3 pokemon and important ones only reach 5 by end game. If it is genuinely the thing they want to make "the way to play" then there's a lot of dev work they need to put in and I'm just going to constantly remembe that we had 2 generations where it was totally fine not doing that with group exp share.

Like if it worked for you that's great. The fact the game allows this play style is fine. But I do not enjoy it and I want to turn the EXP Share off, a super simple option that is relatively trivial to implement and play the usual way I do enjoy while not ruining the way other people like to play.

Personally, I enjoy playing with a fairly consistent team of six, at least up until post-game. That might be a product of earlier games, where having a rotating party is either impossible or grindy, but having Exp. All was not enjoyable in the slightest. With a relatively set team, I feel more invested. Not saying that's the case for everyone or that's the "correct" mindset, but I don't have as much fun with a constantly rotating party

I think if they're going to do mandatory exp all they need to balance the game around it better. I don't know if it did anything different but I didn't feel overleveled in Ultra Sun and I used the exp share throughout the entire game. The only Pokemon that ended up a little overleveled was a Lycanroc I got traded, which get more exp by default

Strangely I didn't feel overleveled in Shield either, but I didn't use the exp candies because it was my first game and I had no idea what those were

Regardless of how it effects gameplay or difficulty I still think it should always be an option. Doesn't really hurt anybody if it's an option compared to mandatory
LGPE's Exp All was a mixed bag for balancing, in my experience. My Eevee got super over-leveled right away, but it definitely helped with the gift Pokemon. Sword was okay (I think I ended up with 7 or 8 in my rotation), but I also didn't use the exp candies

*shoves everything else out of the way*

praise the lord
Honestly I'm surprised people even remotely thought HMs as we know them would be back.

Nah, that's never happening. For valid reasons.
Not too fond of this implementation of the ""HM"" but heh, I'll take it.

Also can Jigglypuff stop being adorable while floating already.

I am interested in this... NPCs helping? How is that even meant to be used :blobthinking:

Honestly I'm surprised people even remotely thought HMs as we know them would be back.

Nah, that's never happening. For valid reasons.
Not too fond of this implementation of the ""HM"" but heh, I'll take it.
Honestly without the context of the website the trailer did a terrible job of clarifying how HMs worked lmao.
Like it looked like just a "hot key" menu so you didnt have to keep going into the menu to activate them.

I am interested in this... NPCs helping? How is that even meant to be used :blobthinking:
Are you talking about Riley & Cheryl? Those are just the pair up segments from the original game.

Are you talking about Riley & Cheryl? Those are just the pair up segments from the original game.
I'm disappointed to know that it's part of the regular gameplay :blobpensive: I was hoping it was something new.

Well I guess that's what I get for not having actually played the gen 4 games

I'm disappointed to know that it's part of the regular gameplay :blobpensive: I was hoping it was something new.

Well I guess that's what I get for not having actually played the gen 4 games
The only "new" things here:
-The HM App in the poketch
-The poketch always being on screen (kind of...required, really)
-Amity Square now lets you run around with up to 6 pokemon at once
-You can now cook poffins together like how you cook all the curry.
-Gardenia's roserade had seals put on its pokeball

By the way the website also talks about mt Coronet. nothing new, but hey if anyone wanted to see Spear Pillar

here it is.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I am soooooooooooo glad they're keeping the original Gardenia Gym puzzle, Platinum's redesign is the worst Gym in the entire series.

HM implementation looks neat, Amity Square is... there, I guess, and yay for the return of NPC partners! That was one of the most exciting things to me when I first played Pearl in 2006 so I'm glad it's being retained as-is.

By the way the website also talks about mt Coronet. nothing new, but hey if anyone wanted to see Spear Pillar

here it is.
Looks absolutely sick. Love the wreaths of mist, the original never really evoked the feeling that you were at the highest point in the region. Always felt more like a cave interior to me.

Sinnoh Haters: "DP has a horrible regional dex! They won't expand the dex and it'll be like LGPE!"

Sinnoh Haters: "DP has a slow engine! Saving a lot of data!"

BDSP: *Running smoothly at crisp speeds.*

Sinnoh Haters: "HMs everywhere! Hope you like Bibarel!"

Y'all got NOTHING to stand on anymore. Embrace greatness or be dunked on by it.

BDSP Top 3 Main Series game AT WORST. You heard it here first.

GEn 6 Exp. Share allows for a easy customization of the team at any moment given, since it's extremely quick to level up fresly-catched members, and this will allow the game design to depict more challenging leaders, because your options have increased.
This is nothing but a myth. Even with Gen 5's scaling Exp, the modern Exp. Share is counterproductive to the old one's original purpose of helping one weaker mon to passively catch up.

There is a very simple reason for that. Everyone else is still gaining Exp. (And leveling up at different rates anyway, I might add, because Exp. Groups are also a top-tier boneheaded idea.)

When you need to power grind, it's great, no doubt about it, but if we're being honest, the game needs both and the old-style Exp. Share should be available quickly so it doesn't fall into the same pitfall it used to fall into, namely being too late to be of any use.

Also, the fact that the current Exp. Share is literally forced upon the player is a horrendous decision that needs to be rolled back ASAP.

Because only 6 mons get to show up at the Hall of Fame.
After I had to rotate over 12 mons to break even with USUM's curve, I realized that it felt like I didn't really remember using half of them. When my team turns into a bunch of faceless mooks because I got too many mons on it, it's a problem.

You fail to see the issue because of a subjective opinion, you like to use a dozen mons, not everyone is the same.

-The poketch always being on screen (kind of...required, really)
That's... not true? We have several minutes worth of footage with it nowhere in sight. I guess you can have the option to hide it (which is great btw).

You even posted that breathtaking Spear Pillar pic and it's not there!

btw, wow, SP looks AMAZING.

I am soooooooooooo glad they're keeping the original Gardenia Gym puzzle, Platinum's redesign is the worst Gym in the entire series.
Nah, the worst is Fantina's Gym in DP...

Oh god no. They're not bringing THAT back, are they?

That's... not true? We have several minutes worth of footage with it nowhere in sight. I guess you can have the option to hide it (which is great btw).
What I meant was: the poketch can always be on screen.
That is, you can have it up in the corner. Basically it's not just something you have to specifically press a button and bring up & cover the entire screen (though you can still do that, as also shown in the trailer).

I'm guessing it's probably something tied to the shoulder buttons, feels like a natural place to put it.

What I meant was: the poketch can always be on screen.
That is, you can have it up in the corner. Basically it's not just something you have to specifically press a button and bring up & cover the entire screen (though you can still do that, as also shown in the trailer).

I'm guessing it's probably something tied to the shoulder buttons, feels like a natural place to put it.
Oh, ok, that's a good point.

They did find a way to make it work and be relevant. I like that, ngl. OG Pokétch was cool, but kind of fluff tbh. Without the new HM function, I'd pretty much never look at it and definitely would've hated it on the screen at all times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)