Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

View attachment 377395
Looks like they're bringing out the old safari mechanics for one last tango. Grand Underground makes the whole thing obsolete anyway so not like it matters lol

temporary TMs is a pretty... interesting choice. Not sure what to make of that
Incidentally a level 22 bidoof confirms that this is using the DP encounter tables. We couldn't really tell that before, but those bidoof were removed entirely in Platinum's version.

I am back to suspecting that none of the platinum dex Pokemon are available outside of the above ground.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 377395
Looks like they're bringing out the old safari mechanics for one last tango. Grand Underground makes the whole thing obsolete anyway so not like it matters lol

temporary TMs is a pretty... interesting choice. Not sure what to make of that
Okay this is NOT something I was expecting since they've done away with the Safari Game since Gen 4 itself so much so that even ORAS didn't have the Safari Game in it, so I submitted myself to the idea that it wouldn't return in the Great Marsh and was wondering what would become of it.

I'll be interested in knowing how you can replenish your supply of TMs though. They said that there will be opportunities to get more of every single TM out there and that they're all basically infinitely suppliable, making them more like TRs in Sword and Shield. Maybe the Underground and the Marts combined will make each and every TM infinitely replenishable in one form or another? That will be interesting to find out.

Hey it's unown.
The statue system seems to work based on the type of Pokemon of the statue.

A level 16 murkrow in the underground.

NWR's footage has several trainers in its footage, all of them line up with their DP levels as should probably be expected.

Well, that's disappointing. Since I end up playing mostly with restricted availibility, the portable PC would only be especially useful to me if I needed an HM slave. Meanwhile, the other things are a step backwards from the latest mainline games I've played.

Weirdly all the preview footage shows the same stuff. I guess TPCi provided the b-roll so they'd have something to talk over.
Only exception I've found is this guy, who got to show their actual gameplay of Great Marsh and walking around Veilstone to show off the customization

They added a trainer with a girafarig near the meteors, for whatever reason.
Wasn't the only other NPC addition (aside from the gracedia lady) we've seen a Hiker with a Gastly? Kind of interesting?

So have any boss teams that are relevant for Platinum dex been seen?
No

However, honestly, at this point I firmly believe they'll all be 1:1
Every trainer we've seen thus far, and every wild Pokemon that has not been in the underground, has been equally 1:1 with DP specifically.

EXP share always being on blows but at least this is DP, the games with really severe level curve. I guess they’re all in on the concept of EXP being party based rather than individual based
Which doesn't really work well with different mons having different EXP scaling and that you can add teammates at wildy different levels than your main party has. Within the current system, there are plenty of reasons to want more focused EXP gain than just wanting to set your own difficulty.

And gotta say a lot of the footage, which seems to have hued towards being a "natural" experience to that point since they're all at varying levels so by all counts this isnt a special demo build as it is just The Game, likely preset to different points, having Pokemon vastly out level the competition

DP may have had a sharp level curve but that was mostly contained to end game and you're probably going to out level cynthia

HEAR YE, HEAR YE, THE DREADED EXP ALL IS STILL HERE, RIP THE GRINDSET
Incidentally a level 22 bidoof confirms that this is using the DP encounter tables. We couldn't really tell that before, but those bidoof were removed entirely in Platinum's version.

I am back to suspecting that none of the platinum dex Pokemon are available outside of the above ground.
Bust.

There will be a day these rock-brained imbeciles won't screw up a remake. That day is not today. I'll wait for the inevitable cheat code to disable Exp. All.

This is why I got a modded Switch. These games are dogshit if you can't mod them.

Which doesn't really work well with different mons having different EXP scaling and that you can add teammates at wildy different levels than your main party has. Within the current system, there are plenty of reasons to want more focused EXP gain than just wanting to set your own difficulty.
Precisely. As long as you can't passively train one mon so it can catch up and the exp. groups exist, the Exp. All will never work as it should.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Uhh... I hope that doesn't mean...
In that case seeing Flint with only two Fire-types, Volkner with Octillery and Ambipom, and Candice with a Medicham and Snover will be just :smogduck:
It's not confirmed yet, but the torches and pitchforks I bring if this happens will have more fire than Flint. This is literally the only thing that would stop me from buying Brilliant Diamond.

Question was dodged because there's no Battle Frontier lol.

I don't care about the Exp. Share being activated from the beginning. I do care about HMs. We have to congratulate BW for getting rid of that trashy one-time-only design, but I don't get why we are going back.

Except! Except if they make ALL hms available at the Battle Frontier (jejejej), and you have to play it in order to buy more of it. That would be perfect.

Forget about it.

I hate to be a downer but this is kind of a train wreck of an update. Not only is Exp. All still mandatory, which is a deal breaker for me, but now it seems likely that DP's dex is back instead of Platinum's. I was hopeful that BDSP could be a top 3 Pokémon game if it played its cards right. Now I'm not sure if it'll even be top 10 honestly.

Only silver lining in this: the GOAT Platinum remains untouched.

I'm almost completely certain that I'm going to get the game after today's confirmation of Mobile PC, which is what was top priority for me.

I'd like to get a little bit more of information about the TMs, though, as that was the only thing I did not like from today's reveals.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Legends: Arceus is the game I care far more about at this point anyway so it's no big loss for me.

It was already clear from the beginning but this game is more or less playing it safe to an almost extreme degree and exists mainly for either new kids who got into Pokemon with Let's Go or SwSh to experience Sinnoh for the first time or for nostalgics who haven't played Pokemon in over a decade+ who want that good ol' nostalgia trip.

Legends: Arceus is the game that has the bulk of the resources invested in it and that was already obvious from the moment these games were announced. I can always revisit my good ol' Platinum cartridge if BDSP doesn't do it for me but Legends: Arceus is gonna inherently be a more unique and interesting experience for Pokemon and is the game I care far more about right now.

My hopes are and always have been on Legends, hopefully that game turns out to be fun and unique since Pokemon hasn't really "wowed" me since the XY and ORAS days.

Weirdly all the preview footage shows the same stuff. I guess TPCi provided the b-roll so they'd have something to talk over.
Only exception I've found is this guy, who got to show their actual gameplay of Great Marsh and walking around Veilstone to show off the customization
I checked out IGN's footage to compare.

1634150533955.png
1634150549737.png

There are some glimpses of the new UI like ability popups. The in battle party menu and EXP gain is definitely based on SWSH, but the defined borders around things look nicer to me. The battle music is kind of off putting though, not what I expected. I don't mind the midis that much but I actually wish it was an option for the original DS music if they wanted to do it like that.

1634148593928.png
1634148915487.png

This EXP is probably from Lass Caroline's Level 15 Cherubi and Roselia. Based on the different EXP for different pokemon of the same level, it seems like they're still using the latest scaling EXP formula.

1634148796506.png

More of a nitpick but it seems like they had the room to put the first line fully on the first row here.

As for features I'm fine with most of this as I figured this game would be more of a traditional experience. I like the new EXP share but I agree it should really be an option.

Last edited:
Xp share forced on will make these games painfully easy if past execution of xp share is anything to go by. Unless you go out of your way to avoid trainers or box Pokémon to avoid xp it seems pretty likely that you will overlevel Cynthia.

That's incredibly disappointing.

Or you use more than 6 Pokémon.

I was very consistently underleveled in Sword and Shield with just 16 Pokémon (and I'm planning to use more than twice that amount in these remakes).
Again, not everyone wants to HAVE to use more than six Pokémon. It's fine if people do, but forcing that playstyle down others' throats isn't the solution.

I'm not even that mad at one time TM use since that was already a thing in Platinum. But mandatory Exp. All effectively ruins what I believe is the most perfectly challenging difficulty curve in the series from Platinum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)