Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

huh another indication of DP teams
*sips water*
weird

That aside, if any one was curious...that Cyrus battle has 3 Pokemon so it'd be the one you'd do (fittingly) just after Candice

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hey hey hey lets not come to any drastic conclusions, it could still be incredibly likely that they use Platinum mons; i mean, you see Volkner’s DP team, right? You dont seriously think they’d pull that stunt again when they fixed it in Platinum?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I HATE JYNXING MYSELF.

well boys, get your water types. we got blimps, bunnies, and giant rock snakes to thrash.

I'm just glad they have the underground for options so I'm not forced to use the worst Sinnoh starter or a horse

Even if it was Platinum dex I'm still glad the underground exists. I don't necessarily consider Houndoom or *gag* Magmortar good options

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Good news wallet, Snover means the Ice Gym still has Medicham! You get to keep my $60! This will be the first main series game I've ever skipped since I started playing in Gen 3! (Unless you count Let's Go.) It's a shame this had to be the one to pass because I lost my Gen 4 games a long time ago.
I genuinely can't wait to get my popcorn for the amount of salt there will be over the Lopunny, Drifblim and Steelix on Flint's team.
I'm so glad I gave up hope. Let's get this hate started!

I said I'd repost this Gif if Flint still had his "Fire" Team. (Thanks to Pikachu315111 for posting this in reaction to the one button Poketch.)

And after the Switch Caring case with Cynthia's Platinum Team yesterday, I said it'd deserve this instead if it still has Diamond and Pearl teams.
I don't have a clip, but it's 3:51 - 4:13, or you can just read what's said instead because most of you aren't going to watch it. :P

Newscaster: Wow. He is... truly awful. I certainly hope this young man's mother isn't alive to witness him failing at this one job. Use the hashtag #YouHad1Hob to rain scorn down upon him!
Barret typing on his phone: You f***ed up... and send.

#YouHad1Job

Is this harsh enough? Probably not. I can't wait to see how harsh it gets! :D

Edit: I overreacted and this post is embarrassing in hindsight. I'm still not getting this game because not fixing the Gyms and Flint's teams was the only deal breaker for me. I stand by the switch caring case being a massive f*** up though, just not to the point the newscaster said. That's such massive fuel for the fire.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the other hand, I look forward to the day the new kids who grew up with Let's Go, Sword and Shield, and this game+Legends become older and start dominating the Internet and online Pokemon communities, and the inevitable jokes they will spam about Flint only using two Fire-types and the fact that they will once again likely meme about Flint just as people my age have been doing for years. It will be a sight to behold when the time comes.

While I acknowledge that more options the merrier, I do not understand why a Fire-type in Sinnoh is treated as if it were mandatory. Is a single Bronzong THAT annoying? Not to mention it has more weaknesses now...
Personally I just like to have a standard Fire/Water/Grass(Or Electric) core. I already know I'm using Torterra and My Man Floatzel, so I'm just missing the fire type. Depending on how statues work I hope I can use Typhlosion since it's my favorite Fire type and I've never had a single opportunity to use it, but I'd also like something like Arcanine. At the very least having the Rotoms could be cool too

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
There's a new commercial up on the Italian Nintendo youtube channel really playing up the nostalgia factor.
This shows Candice using a L38 Snover matching her DP team and also Cyrus's intro pose.

View attachment 380929View attachment 380930
View attachment 380931
Yeah, that was kind of obvious.
The only problem is the fact the level curve is the same despite the exp share.
Not a big problem for me anyway, I just want the game to fuck around and do some casual battles online, i always stomp the maingame.
But they do look like the worst main series games so far.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
While I acknowledge that more options the merrier, I do not understand why a Fire-type in Sinnoh is treated as if it were mandatory. Is a single Bronzong THAT annoying? Not to mention it has more weaknesses now...
Fire covers some types that are fairly common, especially in Sinnoh, and Fire types tend to be pretty strong, so I get why people want options on that front.

i know that no one cares about this besides me but (assuming they take this opportunity to update the movepools of pokemon who weren't in swsh...) if banette doesn't get poltergeist i will cause problems. that's my only thing. i don't even own a switch i'm not gonna play this game regardless i just want banette to have poltergeist for if/when they bring back megas. i think it should have play rough too but whatever

OMGOD WE GOT A TEASER THAT BARELY SHOWS ANYTHING U KNOW WUT THAT MEANS TIME TO ASSUME THE ABSOLUTE WORST!!!!!!!!1!!!!ONE!!!!ELEVEN!!!!11!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! #BBND #CANCELMASUDA #WEWONTUNDERSTAND

People. Chill. Stop freaking out over the slightest shit. Learn to not be hardcore pessimists for goddamn once; I for one am sick of it. It’s just gonna be a bog-standard Pokémon game, and I for one actually feel like I’d have fun with it.

And don’t you dare go “LoL cOpIuM” at me, cuz you all need to take off your jade-colored glasses.

OMGOD WE GOT A TEASER THAT BARELY SHOWS ANYTHING U KNOW WUT THAT MEANS TIME TO ASSUME THE ABSOLUTE WORST!!!!!!!!1!!!!ONE!!!!ELEVEN!!!!11!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! #BBND #CANCELMASUDA #WEWONTUNDERSTAND

People. Chill. Stop freaking out over the slightest shit. Learn to not be hardcore pessimists for goddamn once; I for one am sick of it. It’s just gonna be a bog-standard Pokémon game, and I for one actually feel like I’d have fun with it.

And don’t you dare go “LoL cOpIuM” at me, cuz you all need to take off your jade-colored glasses.
You don't get it, Flint's DP team personally came into my house and beat me to near death. Then they stole my Nintendo Switch and said "looks like it's the original Diamond/Pearl for you!" and forced me to use Close Combat on a Blissey

I'm just glad they have the underground for options so I'm not forced to use the worst Sinnoh starter or a horse
I know I didn't peep that Infernape slander tho...

Hmmm, I wonder how evolution items will be handled....
Razor Fang is the one to watch out for. Gliscor would be a huge loss for the regional dex.

Actually, yes. And it wasn't just one or two. There were several Bronzor littering the area. And back then with Fire being its only weakness and Bronzor often carrying annoying moves like Confuse Ray, Hypnosis and Iron Defense, along with its own naturally high defenses. I totally get why people are jaded by that experience even if it is easier to deal with now.

On the other hand, I look forward to the day the new kids who grew up with Let's Go, Sword and Shield, and this game+Legends become older and start dominating the Internet and online Pokemon communities, and the inevitable jokes they will spam about Flint only using two Fire-types and the fact that they will once again likely meme about Flint just as people my age have been doing for years. It will be a sight to behold when the time comes.
Sad thing is, him and Volkner actually made a kind of cool duo, as a counterpart to your own friendship with Barry. Instead they're both just destined to become memes with their forever janky teams.

But they do look like the worst main series games so far.
Man even for me that's harsh. I do think this is in contention with LGPE as the worst remakes in the series from what I've seen so far.

Nice, I never heard this one. I'll have to use it sometime.

I am not the one breaking out the all caps, twenty exclamation points, spongebob text AND hashtags here...

This isnt super hardcore pessimism or anything
They are showing, continually, Diamond & Pearl overworld encounters here. This is a recurring pattern. It seems perfectly reasonable at this juncture to assume what we're seeing is indicative of pure DP trainer rosters and not strange hybrids (because it's certainly not platinum rosters).
If today they show Volkner with like...I dont know a Pachirisu I guess, then cool! We were wrong. Weird hybrid rosters it is. But until that happens, genuinely, the safer bet is...it's all DP.

But, they've already shown occasionally a gym leader roster, and notably, the few times they did they at very least had moveset changes.

So I do agree with Scorpio 's points... your (as in, this forum's) ability to attempt to be negative in any possible way when it comes to releases never fails to amaze.

Like, unpopular as much as you want, but who cares if it's the same old rosters? It's stated to be a mostly faithful remake. You know what you're getting. You're getting the same game with better graphics and some occasional QoL change.
If you don't want to re-play the same game with better graphics... don't spend 60€ and don't buy it? Is it really that hard? Does it *really* require constant doomsday trashtalking in every single topic?

Do we really have to get into self-induced delusion for every new release, expecting a masterpiece release only to be demoralized when it's not a masterpiece but it's just another Pokemon game with the same old issues the series keeps since 20 years because GameFreaks are allergic to change and TPCI is allergic to understanding how western market works?

And if you're in that club of "maybe I buy it maybe I don't", there's also the option to, I don't know, wait a few days from release and hear from the others if what you were worried of was in or not.

So uh, I really don't want to start a fight over this (I'msorryifthisisuncalledfor and also I don't know if it's even on-topic/please feel free to delete this if it starts derailing the conversation or anything ;-;), but I just wanted to take the opportunity to say--
being respectful about criticizing games goes both ways!

It's true that a lot of people in the community at large do not know how to structure their criticisms of the game respectfully, and some people have really problematic mindsets about the developers being lazy or bad people or think they're justified in harassing them, and that's awful and needs to stop...
but also!! people who are used to dealing with people like that do need to realize that, sometimes, that's just not what's happening.

People who are happy with the state of the games don't need to make unproductive posts that attack people for no reason every time they see a comment against it; aggressively trying to invalidate every opinion that doesn't match your own is part of the problem whether that opinion is one you think is positive or negative, and it's also just. really petty and stupid.
Posts like yours make discussing the game frustrating and strenuous on everyone and contribute nothing to the discussion, and they're actually really toxic in my opinion - this kind of thing makes people avoid engaging with the community.

Speaking personally, bad experiences with people (not on Smogon - I wasn't here at the time) who could not distinguish legitimate criticism from the ~ ridiculously toxic haters ~ crowd and #BBND movement during the SwSh prerelease cycle are a big part of why I've avoided getting involved in the threads and have stuck to discussing the games on with friends I trust a lot... so yes, this kind of thing does actually impact people and make us not want to be involved in the community!
For anyone who isn't familiar with some of my previous posts on Smogon, there was quite a lot I didn't like about Sword and Shield - but I also try really hard to be respectful and thorough when I'm explaining why I'm unhappy with a choice that was made in a game and to be constructive about how I think it could have been done better. It's really disheartening and alienating to see that people who like the games aren't okay with opinions being voiced if they aren't completely positive - people enjoy this series in different ways, and it is okay for you to like a game that someone else doesn't, but it is also okay for someone else not to enjoy a game that you do and to feel that some design choices could have been made differently.

Not every person with an opinion has to be extremist about it, and just casually assuming everyone who voices an opinion at all is a hater and using that perception to justify much more extreme reactions on your own part is... kind of messed up.
Please recognize that having a negative opinion about a design choice is not the same thing as being a negative presence, and your post is a really strong example of how having a positive opinion about the game does not always mean being a positive presence, either.
People often think all criticism is hateful and toxic and damaging to the community and it's really... not? whereas being more positive towards the game does not give you some kind of automatic moral high ground or justify attacking other people for their less favorable takes.

Please try to be mindful of this and just... think for five seconds before you make a post like that for free reaction points or to get laughs from people on "your side" or whatever. Making sweeping generalizations about everyone who dares to criticize the game is really shallow and unfair and just escalates the problems with the discourse in a way that no one likes. Yours is actually the least respectful post I've seen in this conversation, so it's obviously not solving any of the problems you seem to think it is.

I really don't want to start something here, and I will not post again on this topic, but this is something I really think needs to be said, uh, somewhere, by someone, and now seemed as good a time as any;;
I really appreciate R_N saying something about the post, by the way, because I don't think I would have felt comfortable drawing attention to it if no one was talking about it, but I also obviously feel strongly about this and I was hoping for a chance to say my piece

My personal stance on BDSP is beside my point, but I do want to add that no one was making unreasonable assumptions in concluding from what we were shown that NPC teams (especially bosses) will be using the species they were assigned in DP rather than the ones they were assigned in Platinum and that the game's level curve will not be adjusted substantially from the original DP.

I was directly quoting Scorpio here, but I also want Worldie to read this, please.

I'm honestly not really interested in whether the rosters are those of DP or of Platinum. That Platinum's rosters are mostly better? Yes, I agree.

But does it really matter to me? Well... not really. All I was looking for was a not-sluggish Sinnoh game with the PC being accessible from anywhere, so that I could have a rotating party so big some Pokémon would be benched through the entire Elite Four challenge as I'd have too many Pokémon. And I'm getting that.

I was directly quoting Scorpio here, but I also want Worldie to read this, please.
I've read it, but that doesn't change the main problem of the huge negativity *for a game that hasn't even released yet*

It's a story that repeats itself, to the point we feel the need to shit on a game that doesn't have features that were never announced.
I don't recall GF or the company that handles this game announcing a roster change, the game clearly imples it's a DP remake and not a Plat remake, so why are several people pissed off the fact this game is not a Plat remake or doesn't include Plat features?

Like, sure, you can question the decision to remake DP and not Platinum. Perfectly fair.
But since we *know* this is a DP remake, and again, supposed to be a faithful remake, I don't quite see why anyone was expecting roster changes. Or the platinum battle facility.
We'll be lucky if they changes wild encounters to match Platinum's, which I doubt, more likely that any poke not present in DP will just be in the underground.

And the game isn't even out yet :blobshrug:

But, they've already shown occasionally a gym leader roster, and notably, the few times they did they at very least had moveset changes.

So I do agree with Scorpio 's points... your (as in, this forum's) ability to attempt to be negative in any possible way when it comes to releases never fails to amaze.

Like, unpopular as much as you want, but who cares if it's the same old rosters? It's stated to be a mostly faithful remake. You know what you're getting. You're getting the same game with better graphics and some occasional QoL change.
If you don't want to re-play the same game with better graphics... don't spend 60€ and don't buy it? Is it really that hard? Does it *really* require constant doomsday trashtalking in every single topic?
They did have moveset changes, yes (I mean i don't think anyone expected them to be tHAT 1:1), but we keep seeing DP-specific things show up.

Is this....

I dont understand this weird "doomsaying" thing. Is this doomsaying? Like, they keep...showing DP stuff. What do you want me to do here.
It seems reasonable to say based on what we've seen! I'm calling it as im seeing it!

Honestly more than anything...with me its the increasing frustration with "overly faithful" and "but also we're making various changes anyway" and how arbitrary it feels what goes where. It's great the Underground is now full of Pokemon and basically a wild area, but it's weird how this was not paired with a decision to have trainer rosters updated a little. Or just go "eh whatever" and give us the Platinum dex above ground too; if nothing else that gives a bit more variety t othe wild encoutners (which are also just DP) in the main game. Super Contests got a full overhaul and seemingly a major expansion to its trainers, but they couldn't apply that elsewhere? They made TMs single use again, like DP, but they kept the exp share always being on. Any pokemon can follow you now, but the Amity Square is limited to the original cute pokemon only BUT ALSO you can seemingly bring in the platinum pokemon. They seemingly are accommodating the rotom lab so you can get the forms, which involved slightly redesigning the main area's lay out but not enough to just make the more sciencey tilesets of Platinum. We're experimenting with lighting and camera angles and by definition its a visual overhaul, but we're not going to grab any of Platinum's fresher tilesets as a base or make new ones.

This is hardly a BDSP exclusive problem, incidentally. Just about every remake is varying levles of clown shoes here and I voice that too (why is let's go THAT married to yellow's encounters but not its trainers....mysterious). It's just frustrating and a little tiring when even the most basic of things just arbitrarily gets passed over for "faithfulness".

Anyway more cards on the table here: I am probably still going to get the game, and I'll probably even enjoy it because even SWSH with all its problems gave me some joy and I am actually incredibly nostalgic for this game and the changes that are there are nice....but I can still be disappointed they didn't do more and are seemingly arbitrary in what will be "faithful" & I think it's fine to voice those complaints. Though I suppose even I'll admit some people just get maybe.....too mad....

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Man even for me that's harsh. I do think this is in contention with LGPE as the worst remakes in the series from what I've seen so far.
LGPE get more hate than what it deserve, most of the complains i see are for the catching system but i think is a better chalange than what the other games have (in the regular games is only a challange when the mon has a low catch rate and can easly ko yours, most of the time you just spam balls), and is better looking than SWSH. Its biggest flaws are the starters being too overpowered (the special moves should come way later and most starters can solo their own games easly anyway) and the lack of abilities ruining most megas (what is even the point of Pinsir). They are fine as Yellow remakes and as a introduction for casuals.

I do think BDSP may end as the worst in the series but thats because, well, most pokemon games are mostly the same (and thats fine, the pokemon formula works), BDSP dont really seems to be adding much or doing anything special to be different from the other 20 or something games, and as remakes they have to be directly compared to the originals and their third version, and we know something like 80% of the game is the same as DP, with the underground being the most interesting change so far, but i still have to play it, and maybe there are more changes that could turn these games into something other than -those games we got while waiting for legends-.

Since BW2 GF has done nothing but sleep, and BDSP have put zero effort or ambition in trying to actually portray a game from Nintendo DS in a really faithful way to the Nintendo Switch.

But ey, the game isnt out yet.
Itll be Pokémon Insurgence content wise, but we dont know it yet.
Please dont say anything, dont complain.

These games are perfect ok? Very good. They arent attempting to reach the minimust, minimundum mininum. No. Its because they are faithful. Theyll have less content than games from GBA on the same franchise but whats the problem? Uh? Why you complaining? I cant stand it, please dont complain or ill destroy your life ok??? Ok????

You could literally play Pokémon Platinum, a game you bought for 35 dollars in like 2008 and youll objetively outcontent everyone playing BDSP, and if online NDS were still a thing you would have 0 reason to play BDSP apart from graphics, graphics that are appropiate for the Game Gear.

Ill share with you some key info about forums (this is universal, works in all forums). Ill share with you the most common and easy strategies to earn likes.

1. Make a joke.

2. Deeply elaborate on something.

3. Quote someone who is critizing something and make a post telling everyone how unbearable it is, then write something condescendant addressing that person and dont forget to include some falacies here and there, to make it seem like they are only complaining because they hate the franchise or they have grown up (remember, you have grown up and still love a ton of videogames, but not Pokémon), deflecting from the universal fact of game freak being lazy af in the past years.

3.1 This is the most advanced tech, but requires self sacrifice. Do the same as point 3, but insult the person. Say something like "i know ill be banned but i dont care" (this is vital, everyone has to know that you are sacrificing yourself for the greater good and dont give a shit about being banned), then proceed, "but you are a clown and a fkn idiot, a hater whose only purpose is to spite at gamefreaks work blablabla". Then finish the post with another "i dont care if i get banned".

Ill but the games, but you should really stop telling others what can or cant critizise. No one cares when someone says how much they love a game, but everyone seems to care when that person dislikes aspects of the game.

Forums are made to reunite different individuals with different opinions on any kind of topic, and some of you are trying to force an unique point of view upon everyone else. I dont care who dislikes a game I like, i may discuss with them, but ill never say to them that they should just not play or stop complaining. Its their opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)