Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really wish they add something like the Galar Leader tournament.
Yeah, we need more of the Gym Leaders (and Elite Four and other notable NPCs) bantering back-and-forth to one another. If often feels like the only connection these characters have to one another is via the player. Platinum and Gen V did a a bit of that, Platinum via the Villa and Gen V had the Gym Leaders more working together, but it was still kept between the Gym Leaders who were shown to have a connection between each other. One of the most fun things about the Galarian Star Tournament was seeing how the Gym Leaders who wouldn't normally react with one another respond to the other (sadly it didn't do every single combination, though they threw in a few fun ones at least so it's not just pairs who are familiar with one another).

Oh wait huh I just realized. The fact that one recent trailer had footage of player at route 216 w/o any mon behind them means that followers in bdsp will in fact be toggleable. coolio
Could just be followers disabled in blizzard areas for graphics/interactivity/programming reasons. Remember when people were convinced that followers in HGSS would be toggleable because of (iirc) Azalea + Blackthorn Gym footage? ("Since when would they allow followers in one Gym but disallow them in another")

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Could just be followers disabled in blizzard areas for graphics/interactivity/programming reasons. Remember when people were convinced that followers in HGSS would be toggleable because of (iirc) Azalea + Blackthorn Gym footage? ("Since when would they allow followers in one Gym but disallow them in another")
Nah we've had previous footage of the player walking in the deep snow of the route with Abomasnow behind them

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I mean I don't think it was asking too much for them to use Platinum as the base instead of DP. The gap in quality between Platinum and DP is absurd. That's not me being overly pessimistic, jaded or whatever. It's just a flat out truth. DP does some of the sprite work better than Platinum. And that's literally it. You're comparing one of the best games in the franchise to one of the worst. It's just a foolish decision on the part of GF, ILCA or whoever's in charge.

Even RS got something big right that Emerald didn't by making Steven champion instead of Wallace. So it wasn't a total loss for ORAS to use RS as the base instead (though overall still a loss). BDSP choosing DP over Platinum is just an objectively awful design decision.

Others can feel free to disagree, but I went into this release with some hope and actually rooting for this game to succeed. So I wouldn't say I've been "negative" from the start. But as information has slowly unveiled itself, that hope has almost completely dissipated. At this point I'm just viewing this game as comedic relief for how badly they're botching it.
Personally, I prefer Steven to Wallace as Steven is much much more interesting as a character, and i find him to be a much more compelling champion than the second water-type boss, let alone having to deal with the entirety of Team Aqua.
Very strangely they have shown off Empoleon in trailers for this game and even Legends, but Infernape and Torterra have been completely absent and have not been shown off at all. Granted Empoleon was only shown off in this game through a Poketch appearance, but the other two have not been seen in marketing for this game in any capacity.

They seem to adamantly not want to show off Infernape or Torterra in particular while Empoleon has been soft-shown-off in shots that are easy to miss. I do wonder why they feel compelled to only show off Empoleon but explicitly conceal Infernape and Torterra from existence thus far.
Weird, but hey, you won’t catch me complaining. Best starter gets the best treatment? You love to see it. Infernape and Torterra are great and all, but the penguin really takes the cake when it comes to sinnoh starters for me.

IoA & CT tied it to a NPC likely as just like...the best way to implement it, without needing to dedicate a new menu option to something that's only possible in 2 areas (albeit large) in the game.

Let's Go & BDSP let you do it anywhere (well, in any route or town anyway), so it makes sense to put that as a menu option.

Even RS got something big right that Emerald didn't by making Steven champion instead of Wallace. So it wasn't a total loss for ORAS to use RS as the base instead (though overall still a loss). BDSP choosing DP over Platinum is just an objectively awful design decision.
That's not something integral to gameplay though. That's purely opinion, whether Steven or Wallace is better. To me, I like Wallace more than Steven, so to me, Emerald was right at making Wallace champion, and RS and ORAS were wrong for making Steven champion.

If you want an actual gameplay advantage, RS doesn’t have any trade restrictions unlike FRLG and Emerald, meaning you can use the National Dex at any point. Sapphire also has another advantage over Emerald and Ruby when it comes to Pokedex completion in that you can obtain multiple Moon Stones, since Lunatone is found in the wild only in Sapphire. There's only one Moon Stone that can be found without Lunatone in the entirety of RSE, meaning you only get one either Delcatty or Wigglytuff in Ruby/Emerald.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It was evident from the August trailer but I'm just wondering why the player character doesn't wear a hat in the early portion of the game leading up to meeting Rowan.

Is the player gonna go hatless until you get the Pokedex or something?

It was evident from the August trailer but I'm just wondering why the player character doesn't wear a hat in the early portion of the game leading up to meeting Rowan.

Is the player gonna go hatless until you get the Pokedex or something?
I think you'll probably get it when you go back to tell your mom you're going on a journey.

EDIT: Also here's a Gardenia one. Nothing notably new here except for text. https://s3.ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/prod-lessar-contents/partner_5200e79c-a5ef-460f-813d-369cf109adea/arContent_15914/10_ナタネ_1031_ok.mp4

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/qk9er7
OP has a comment where they post individual clips. It just seems mostly like character moments we've already seen from DPPt but if anyone can gleam something interesting that'd be neat
I dunno why but for some reason, I find it amusing that every single video about the remakes thus far has portrayed Cynthia as just a random npc you encounter thru the game and not the champion that made a lot of unsuspecting kids pull their hairs in frustration as the dreaded Garchomp ripped their teams to shreds

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hi all,

While I understand there are conflicting opinions on what is being presented currently, please try and stay out of personal attacks on each other or on the Devs.

We all know how this usually rolls, but let's all just chill out a bit. Last few pages have been a bit frantic.

We're approaching release and I'm well aware people are going to get tetchy, let's just hold on for a few more weeks and everything will be out in the open.

I'll be talking with CRoll and Eisenherz about thread ideas for the subforum and we can likely start making some transitions over to that forum.

In game related discussion, does anybody here try to have their starter be the Pokemon that faces the Champions ace?

I didn't do it in Pokemon Shield because I was bad and dumb and Cinderace kept dying to anything Leon's Charizard did, so I gave him a panic attack with Eternatus.

I don't remember my battle against Diantha but I'm pretty sure Mega Lucario ripped through her whole team

But I did manage to have my Incineroar face off against Hau's Decidueye, and it felt really cool to end it with the Pokemon that started it.

And I plan on doing the same with Torterra destroying Cynthia's Garchomp. I'm going to use Weavile in my run, who could easily drop Chomp in one hit, but where's the fun in that?

Now...does Torterra learn any Ice moves?

ETA: No ice moves but it can learn Outrage. Your days are numbered Cynthia

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you'll probably get it when you go back to tell your mom you're going on a journey.
Yeah that would make sense lmao

I dunno why but for some reason, I find it amusing that every single video about the remakes thus far has portrayed Cynthia as just a random npc you encounter thru the game and not the champion that made a lot of unsuspecting kids pull their hairs in frustration as the dreaded Garchomp ripped their teams to shreds
She's meant to be mysterious, and thus her status as Champion is a secret until the very end. Far different from the likes of Leon whose Champion title is shown off to the masses, Cynthia prefers to keep her own Champion status a secret from the public masses mostly.

Plus, gotta make sure the new kids keep that sense of mystery of finding out for themselves that she's in fact the Champion before they kneel before her mighty Garchomp. Throughout the whole game, you're supposed to be wondering just who the hell she is to begin with.

And I plan on doing the same with Torterra destroying Cynthia's Garchomp. I'm going to use Weavile in my run, who could easily drop Chomp in one hit, but where's the fun in that?

No but it resists Earthquake, can hit Garchomp neutrally with both STABs, and has enough bulk to survive Dragon Rush or Giga Impact. It stands the best chance against Garchomp between the three starters since it resists EQ and unlike Infernape and Empoleon, it doesn't just drop to a single Earthquake. Infernape at most will get a hit in before dying, maybe finish off Garchomp if it took damage beforehand, while Empoleon just falls to EQ.

In game related discussion, does anybody here try to have their starter be the Pokemon that faces the Champions ace?
Considering I'm planning to have a rotating party of more than 30 Pokémon (as in, more Pokémon than I could ever use in the Elite Four challenge even if I don't repeat any), that's not really on my plans in BDSP... or in any game, for that matter.

No but it resists Earthquake, can hit Garchomp neutrally with both STABs, and has enough bulk to survive Dragon Rush or Giga Impact. It stands the best chance against Garchomp between the three starters since it resists EQ and unlike Infernape and Empoleon, it doesn't just drop to a single Earthquake. Infernape at most will get a hit in before dying, maybe finish off Garchomp if it took damage beforehand, while Empoleon just falls to EQ.
You can always give Empoleon a Shuca Berry.

I didn't do it in Pokemon Shield because I was bad and dumb and Cinderace kept dying to anything Leon's Charizard did, so I gave him a panic attack with Eternatus.

I don't remember my battle against Diantha but I'm pretty sure Mega Lucario ripped through her whole team

But I did manage to have my Incineroar face off against Hau's Decidueye, and it felt really cool to end it with the Pokemon that started it.

ETA: No ice moves but it can learn Outrage. Your days are numbered Cynthia
Outrage only slightly outdamages Wood Hammer against garchomp, and the latter is easier to boost (via Overgrow or Terrain if available). Of course, if they're using the DPPt TM list, Torterra does get natural gift which can be Ice with an Aspear berry equipped

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Another commercial with an extra few shots. The strangest one was these screens of fighting a Weepinbell in the overworld:
6F868DF8-BD1E-49FB-BB8C-1F496CA18566.jpeg
4092C414-6C9E-44B3-B3F4-2FD7AC878FB9.jpeg

I did some digging and found that you can encounter Weepinbell at this level in DP's Route 230. As far as I know, this makes this the first glimpse of BDSP's postgame assuming that is what is being displayed here. What a random thing to just throw into a bog-standard commercial...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)