Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

I mean I know we're on three levels of jokes here but SWSH did not launch with all the restricted legends.
it had the Gen 5 box legends, the Musketeers (for some reason...) Gen 7 box legends, Mewtwo, alola starters, the remaining kanto starters and a handful of mythics.
The rest came the following year, with the DLC. I presume something similar will happen here.
You're telling me that Dialga and Palkia aren't gonna be in SV because SwSh's returning legends were exclusively Gen 1, some random left-field picks and the ones from the most recent games?

You're telling me that Dialga and Palkia aren't gonna be in SV because SwSh's returning legends were exclusively Gen 1, some random left-field picks and the ones from the most recent games?
I'm saying that SWSH didn't have all, or even most ("exclusively gen 1" equating to 9 of the 35 pokemon, and of those we only had 2 of the 5 gen 1 legendary/mythic pokemon) of the legendary Pokemon. I suspect those foreign weirdos were mostly (though not all, I also suspect the kanto starters & mewtwo were always planned for Pokemon Day stuff) a hold over from earlier in development, or had different plans in mind at some point at the very least.
I do not think SV will either, because they will inevitably just bring them back in full as a selling point later on. They're almost certainly going to stick with dexit as an active plan so why bother doing anything other than the bare minimum marked out? They can always do the development later alongside the other things they're going to add later.

I mean it could be there
I can't fully prove it, I guess. No one can until the games are out. Maybe every single legendary will be there, maybe it will just be all the restricted pokemon, maybe it will literally be Zacian, Zamazenta, Dialga & Palkia and no one else!

But also maybe they just won't, you know?

Anyway regardless of all that, I don't see them throwing out all the Home plans they are clearly working on as a...."selling point" for SV. The selling point is already the fact that Home is the only transfer method that eveyr game has to deal with and that LA & BDSP & SWSH will have their own mutually exclusive Pokemon to send forward without leaning on Bank.

With this theory it's more saying that Pokémon from PLA and BDSP only being transferable to SV and not SWSH was the plan from the get-go, not a sudden change of plans. Though of course BDSP obviously has a lot more involvement given the recent updates adding in specific stuff towards it.

I can see them introducing everything from PLA, especially if the games use a similar engine. It would be quite a nice relatively low effort way to reuse assets, and they've put quite a lot of effort into Arceus' animations already. Don't think it's unreasonable to think we might get Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus and the new legends, as far as restricted mons go, simply because we already have a lot of assets for them and demand will be relatively high -- plus we already know things from PLA are in.

Depends if the new battle gimmick requires a lot of animating, I suppose.

I can see them introducing everything from PLA, especially if the games use a similar engine. It would be quite a nice relatively low effort way to reuse assets, and they've put quite a lot of effort into Arceus' animations already. Don't think it's unreasonable to think we might get Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus and the new legends, as far as restricted mons go, simply because we already have a lot of assets for them and demand will be relatively high -- plus we already know things from PLA are in.

Depends if the new battle gimmick requires a lot of animating, I suppose.
from what dataminers said LA is SWSH under the hood

Obviously some of PLA DNA will carry forward, but I don't think we can really look at like...animations or whatever. They'll have who they want. Maybe that will include all the PLA new stuff, just so they can be used in a """real"""" game, maybe they wont.

E: Look to be clear I'm not saying it will For Sure not have these things, I just think maybe we shouldn't assume it will. There's a lot of unknowns about SV.
Like I know I made a lot of assumptions on the various gen 8 titles, and look where those are at now! Snivy & Froakie in shambles!

Last edited:
If you have a Pokemon Legends Arceus save file that has completed all 27(?) main missions, BDSP version 1.3.0 that drops tomorrow will allow you to get an Azure Flute to get Arceus. You'll need to have entered the Hall of Fame and received the national dex before you can summon Arceus at Spear Pillar.

Also, from the first new moon in April on April 1st at 3:24pm JST to the next new moon on May 1st at 5:28am JST, you can receive a Member Card via Internet mystery gift that will allow you to encounter Darkrai on New Moon Island. Again, you'll need to have entered the Hall of Fame and received the national dex.

Last edited:
If you have a Pokemon Legends Arceus save file that has completed all 27(?) main missions, BDSP version 1.3.0 that drops tomorrow will allow you to get an Azure Flute to get Arceus. You'll need to have entered the Hall of Fame and received the national dex before you can summon Arceus at Spear Pillar.

So not only they don't learn to not lock a single Pokémon behind paying for a full game, but now you have to beat it (so you can't just borrow a copy and boot it once)?

So to get Mew, Jirachi and Arceus in BDSP (remember, three Pokémon) you need to spend $180 (plus the $60 from BDSP itself).

Or you could borrow games from a friend or in the case of Mew and Jirachi buy the game then return it to the store. In any case it doesn't matter too much because they are just neat cute bonuses

I for one genuinely think it's cool.

I adore cross-game metanarratives, and one of the first things I thought when Legends was announced was "yo wouldn't it be sick if you could make the Azure Flute in Legends and then transfer it to BDSP" (I also think the Manaphy quest is sick for the same reason). The coolness is a bit undercut by Legends already letting you play the Azure Flute to fight Arceus, making the event in BDSP a retread of actions the player has necessarily already done, though being able to personally throw hands with God in Legends was probably a worthy tradeoff.

As for Mew and Jirachi... viewing them as costing $180 dollars is like buying a shitload of McDonald's Happy Meals just for the toys, except even dumber because instead of being an asshole and scalping them for money, you've just ripped yourself off by buying two full games you have no intention of playing all to get a pink cat and a grey pixie.

This is pretty cool, though i do wish there was more of a story element tied to the Arceus event. BDSP is being vastly outshone by legends arceus atm, so giving something to let it stand out, even if it was a tie in, would have been sweet.

Oh well, its free content, and now i have an incentive to finish my bdsp run and stop playinf arc- IS THAT A SHINY QWILFISH?! WOOOO

I for one genuinely think it's cool.

I adore cross-game metanarratives, and one of the first things I thought when Legends was announced was "yo wouldn't it be sick if you could make the Azure Flute in Legends and then transfer it to BDSP" (I also think the Manaphy quest is sick for the same reason). The coolness is a bit undercut by Legends already letting you play the Azure Flute to fight Arceus, making the event in BDSP a retread of actions the player has necessarily already done, though being able to personally throw hands with God in Legends was probably a worthy tradeoff.

As for Mew and Jirachi... viewing them as costing $180 dollars is like buying a shitload of McDonald's Happy Meals just for the toys, except even dumber because instead of being an asshole and scalping them for money, you've just ripped yourself off by buying two full games you have no intention of playing all to get a pink cat and a grey pixie.
I two actually find it really cool that they are doing this. Here is to hoping for home update as well with it.

This is pretty cool, though i do wish there was more of a story element tied to the Arceus event. BDSP is being vastly outshone by legends arceus atm, so giving something to let it stand out, even if it was a tie in, would have been sweet.

Oh well, its free content, and now i have an incentive to finish my bdsp run and stop playinf arc- IS THAT A SHINY QWILFISH?! WOOOO
Absolutely stunned they're reimplementing the event after seemingly taking it out!

Very exciting.

Darkrai's item will also be available via Mystery Gift
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-...n-brilliant-diamond-and-pokemon-shining-pearl

Also a caveat for Arceus, you'll need to download update data which won't be available for another 12 hours
It does say in the link that you obtain the Azure Flute when returning to your room so there could be some text/reference to go along with it.

This means by the way that Deoxys is now the only Pokémon completely unavailable in BDSP, right? For the time being at least? Strange for that 'mon to be this elusive throughout the entire generation, discounting GO

Also, from the first new moon in April on April 1st at 3:24pm JST to the next new moon on May 1st at 5:28am JST, you can receive a Member Card via Internet mystery gift that will allow you to encounter Darkrai on New Moon Island. Again, you'll need to have entered the Hall of Fame and received the national dex.
Do we need to beat the game to be able to get the Mystery Gift, or only to actually encounter Darkrai? Because I do not think I am up for beating two games within a month and a half.

Do we need to beat the game to be able to get the Mystery Gift, or only to actually encounter Darkrai? Because I do not think I am up for beating two games within a month and a half.
Not sure if it works the same, but I'm pretty sure I grabbed Oak's Letter in BD way before beating the Cynthia/getting natdex

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if it works the same, but I'm pretty sure I grabbed Oak's Letter in BD way before beating the Cynthia/getting natdex
Can confirm that you can get Oak's Letter via Mystery Gift at any time in the game as long as you have the Mystery Gift feature. Thus, I assume the same would apply to the Member Card.

You don't need to beat the game to get the gift items, I believe in both cases you need to beat the game only to encounter Shaymin and Darkrai themselves since the locations they are in are only accessible in the post-game: the items themselves can be obtained via Mystery Gift even before defeating Cynthia.

Lmao they hid Arceus behind a whole ass completed video game pay wall. I used to think it was bullshit when I had to go to Toys R Us to get Arceus, but somehow this is even worse.

Wonder if this means Home support is coming soon. /s

Lmao they hid Arceus behind a whole ass completed video game pay wall. I used to think it was bullshit when I had to go to Toys R Us to get Arceus, but somehow this is even worse.

Wonder if this means Home support is coming soon. /s
Sorry what is your issue here? Arceus being essentially a bonus reward for completing those requirements is pretty nice. Calling it a paywall feels odd when Arceus in BDSP is bonus content and not required for anything. It's just a shiny trophy.

(Besides it isn't like you're paying for arceus only. You get a full length game with it. Which further makes it more of a bonus than anything else. Much better than having to go to some super specific irl event or miss it)

(Besides it isn't like you're paying for arceus only. You get a full length game with it. Which further makes it more of a bonus than anything else. Much better than having to go to some super specific url event or miss it)
But it's worse than providing a QR scan code (Magearna) or giving you the event trigger (Celebi in VC Crystal) after you beat the league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)