Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Because a single Pokémon is locked behind a 60 dollar barrier. A barrier that is somehow worse than Mew or Jirachi's.
Honestly, it is not any worse then Mew or Jirachi's or Shaymin's or Darkrai's. It has a cool lore tidbit to it that makes the extra requirement worth it. I mean..Arceus gives that flute to those he considers worthy..and for you to be worthy in BD/SP you have to complete Arceus. It is a heavy nod towards Arceus being trans-dimensional and still seeing you, the player as worthy even in a completely different game.

Honestly, it is not any worse then Mew or Jirachi's or Shaymin's or Darkrai's.
Uhm... you have to beat Legends, and not just have save data, to get Arceus. That puts it worse than the four of them, since you can't just borrow the game once, boot it, and return.

(Not that that is always a possibility because there may be no one nearby with a physical copy of the game, but it's less bad)

Because a single Pokémon is locked behind a 60 dollar barrier. A barrier that is somehow worse than Mew or Jirachi's.
If you're framing the situation as "I'm being forced to spend 60 bucks to get this one digital creature" then you're the problem in that situation.

This isn't a pay to win situation. This isn't a "if you don't shell out a buttload of money you're at a disadvantage" situation. This is just "do you have both of these games? Sick, here's an extra thing."

Nobody is forcing anybody to pay extra for the thing, because nobody is forcing anybody to get the thing. It's seriously not a big deal if someone doesn't get Arceus, or Mew, or whatever. Arceus and Mew and all those mythicals do not matter. They are extras. Bonuses. Non-essential. You don't need them.

This post has been kinda hostile, so I want close it by saying that if you're getting this upset over whether or not someone can obtain a virtual monster, you should reexamine what Pokemon means to you, because it doesn't seem healthy. Take some time for yourself, talk it over with family, see a therapist, however you want to do it. I say this without an ounce of snark or aggression.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Ooookay...

This thread has mostly run its course at this point and is just devolving into a bit of a mess. I'll go back through the last few pages and check out a few things, but you all need to remember that GameFreak can do whatever they want with any of their content. If you don't like it, have a wonderful day and just ignore the content. Stop getting into ultimately pointless arguments about it and move on.

I understand that people want GF to do better, want Nintendo to do better, want whoever to do better. But in the end, it's a business with one goal. If having Arceus locked this way sells even a single copy of Legends because of the link with BDSP then their reasoning is correct.

I'm not going to get into the morality of the choice or anything like that, and you can't have any idea of what GF might do next - For example they might have a free Arceus Mystery Gift lined up at some point as well. Remember, Eternal Floette was never released either.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I was originally gonna post this in Little Things That Annoy, but I decided to go here because this is hardly what I'd consider a "Little Thing".

Now, I know what you might be thinking at a glance. "Dramps, that's a pretty nice lookin' game trailer you posted, but this is the BDSP thread. Were you trying to type multiple posts at once across subforums and got the tabs mixed up?"

Well, here's the thing. At a little bit before the one minute mark, this happens.
1648495985156.png

Oh yeah. Ooooooh yeah baby. Not a supporting developer btw. THE PRIMARY ONE.

But wait, it gets better!

>ONE OF THE BIG SELLING POINTS IS THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE LONGEST DEV CYCLES OF ANY ONE PIECE GAME EVER MADE
>IT LITERALLY STARTED PRODUCTION AT LEAST A YEAR AND A HALF BEFORE BDSP

Do you understand now? Do you understand the LAYERS of CUCKED we are dealing with here?! Ladies and gentlemen, the most anticipated Pokemon game of all time is comparable to Sonic and the Secret Rings!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Which month with bdsp work with pokemon home?
Is Pokemon home for bdsp predicted to come in April?
No one knows. All we know for sure is the fact that they confirmed BDSP Home Compatibility will arrive at the same time that PLA Home Compatibility will: both games will get HOME compatibility together.

It's certainly possible that it'll release in May or June this year more likely, considering SwSh gained HOME compatibility four months after its release, as that came through in February 2020, and considering PLA (the real 2021 Pokemon game and the main project between the two) came out in late January I would expect a May/June arrival for BDSP/PLA compatibility possibly. We may have confirmation of when specifically it'll arrive in May/June as they may talk about it alongside the inevitable Scarlet and Violet info reveals that will arrive in May and June.

As for now though, we don't know anything about when specifically it'll happen, so as far as we all know it could be any time this year so it's still very up in the air as to when it'll arrive. But as I said, nothing is confirmed about BDSP/PLA HOME compatibility yet and we won't know until they explicitly confirm when it'll arrive in any upcoming Pokemon Presents or Pokemon info reveals that are to come up this year.

home updates usually just drop out of nowhere iirc
I don;t think they get like, a full lead up announcement

It's certainly possible that it'll release in May or June this year more likely, considering SwSh gained HOME compatibility four months after its release, as that came through in February 2020, and considering PLA (the real 2021 Pokemon game and the main project between the two) came out in late January I would expect a May/June arrival for BDSP/PLA compatibility possibly. We may have confirmation of when specifically it'll arrive in May/June as they may talk about it alongside the inevitable Scarlet and Violet info reveals that will arrive in May and June.
Pokemon HOME was a completely new release in February 2020 and the only other added game since then was Pokemon GO in November 2020, so by that trend we might be waiting for a while. Part of the BDSP wait specifically may have been because of dealing with the rampant cloning glitches first, which could have been part of the artificial GWS delay as well.

XY released October 12, 2013
Bank originally released December 25, 2013 (74 days)
Bank released again January 22, 2014 (102 days)
ORAS and Bank 1.2 released Nov 21 2014 (same day)
Pokemon GO released July 6, 2016
Sun/Moon released November 18 2016
Bank 1.3 (Sun/Moon/RGBY) released January 24 2017 (67 days)
VC RGBY released February 27 2017
VC GS released September 22 2017
USUM released November 17 2017
Bank 1.4 (USUM/GSC) released November 19 2017 (2 days)
VC Crystal released January 26 2018
LGPE released November 16 2018 as kind of a bank for GO of itself
SWSH released November 15 2019
HOME released February 12 2020, as well as the relevant Bank update (89 days from SWSH)
SWSH DLC 1 (Isle of Armor) released June 17 2020 and HOME updated at the same day, with the DLC move names apparently leaking from its servers around May 22
SWSH DLC 2 (Crown Tundra) released October 22 2020 and HOME updated at the same day, with the horses apparently leaking from its servers a few days before
HOME got GO support in November 11 2020 (273 days)
BDSP released November 19 2021
Legends released January 28, 2022

Games within the same generation of Bank were handled fairly quickly. So far it has been 130 days since BDSP's release and 60 days since Legends. I don't know if they have addressed HOME support anywhere since that initial Presents, but they may as well release support for both games at the same time at this point.
EDIT: I forgot about the SWSH DLC which was updated so early it led to leaks, so maybe that's another reason for their hesitation, though the games are released now so who knows.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that they're likely waiting on Home compatibility until after the online competitions are done for Gen 8 so people can't use moves only learned in BDSP or PLA in them.

It just occurred to me that they're likely waiting on Home compatibility until after the online competitions are done for Gen 8 so people can't use moves only learned in BDSP or PLA in them.
Couldn't they just require the competition to use Galar-marked mons (which can be applied at the cost of removing all preexisting moves) instead?

For old moves this is already resolved by the mark system. Any old moves they gained in either game but can't have in SWSH would be wiped out when converted to the galar mark.
And as for new moves, Pokemon knowing those moves would either not be allowed into SWSH/BDSP to begin with (so you need to bring them back into LA To delete them) or they'd have an update where those moves are added to the list of "Please delete this". And again the mark system would ensure they don't cause official problems. No using Lunar Blessing Cresselia

Side note if they don't put out an update for the move list they really need to update Home itself to have a move deleter function.

Part of me still thinks that not having home compatibility ready before VGC in summer would have been a shame.
The VGC metagame already is pretty stale (mostly boils down to Zacian teams and teams that counter Zacian teams), and will likely stay the same until the actual VGC finals in summer.
Adding compatibility AND allowing the legality of BDSP/LA native Pokemon would *potentially* shake up the metagame a bit. I'm not really sure if it would, it sure would have before restricted format, but as of now unless for some reason Origin P/D are particularly broken it's also possible none of the new mons or moves makes a splash.

Also... as I usually say... any other company wouldn't pass on the chance to get additional sales by letting SwSh players use their shiny new toys (tm).
But GameFreaks doesn't really do logic (nor does Nintendo often enough).

For old moves this is already resolved by the mark system. Any old moves they gained in either game but can't have in SWSH would be wiped out when converted to the galar mark.
And as for new moves, Pokemon knowing those moves would either not be allowed into SWSH/BDSP to begin with (so you need to bring them back into LA To delete them) or they'd have an update where those moves are added to the list of "Please delete this". And again the mark system would ensure they don't cause official problems. No using Lunar Blessing Cresselia

Side note if they don't put out an update for the move list they really need to update Home itself to have a move deleter function.
The mark system doesn't work for existing moves though? If you catch a Gardevoir in SwSh, transfer it to PLA and teach it Recover, Aura Sphere, or Ice Beam, then transfer it back it'll still have the Galar mark (because it was caught in Galar) but have the move(s) it can't get in SwSh.

I'd assume the same for the Battle-Ready mark, but even if it isn't the case that only really matters for Mythicals, who aren't allowed in official events anyway.

The mark system doesn't work for existing moves though? If you catch a Gardevoir in SwSh, transfer it to PLA and teach it Recover, Aura Sphere, or Ice Beam, then transfer it back it'll still have the Galar mark (because it was caught in Galar) but have the move(s) it can't get in SwSh.

I'd assume the same for the Battle-Ready mark, but even if it isn't the case that only really matters for Mythicals, who aren't allowed in official events anyway.
I wouldn't count on it being able to be transferred back to PLA.

Heck, I strongly doubt they can even be transferred to Sword and Shield.

Just thought of something: when Bank/Home compatibility was announced for all previous games since XY, what kind of time frame was given? Did they usually say "Early <year>" or just "<year>"?

It occurs to me that by saying "2022", it almost automatically implies "later in 2022" because marketing reasons. But past announcements could be a counterexample.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On a happier note, I have a Brilliant Darkrai and a Legendary Darkrai now, yay. In fact I got really bored this arvo and spent it catching all the BD legends/mythics up to and including the Regi trio. Wisely spent day off work if you ask me.

I will once again restate how I much prefer these ingame events and captures to a straight up mystery gifted event Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)