Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

I can't wait for this movement to take off again.

This Tweet has to be ironic. It basically seems like they're making fun of all of the outlandish demands some Pokémon fans have. At least I hope that's what they're doing. If they're being serious I will lose all faith in this fandom.

Anyways the graphics of the areas, buildings, and Pokémon look fine. It kind of looks like a mix between the XY/ORAS chibi style and Little Town Hero which is pretty interesting. And the human characters in battle look good as well. It's the human characters outside of battle that I don't like the look of. They look like motherfucking PlayMobil toys lololol.

And for those that are worried that the dex will only be limited to the original DP dex pre-Pokémon League, there was a Porygon-Z in the trailer, so I think at the very least the gen 4 cross evos will be added to the dex.

Not sure how to feel about this one at the moment.

I'd kind of already reserved myself to saying "even DP remakes I'll probably wait until a price drop", and... okay, nothing's changed my mind here. But this is certainly more than I expected; I think most of us were expecting "DP but it looks like SWSH", so at the very least this does surpass my expectations. But... man, I'm not sure if I like it or not? It looks like the Link's Awakening remake and that's a game I go back and forth a LOT on on whether I dislike the visual style or find it genius. I think I'll need a bit more time to be sure whether or not I like it.

In general I think I need more time to decide how I feel about this -- my feelings on the idea of a DP remake has always predicated extremely heavily on whether or not it'd include the Platinum content, and that's had me worried ever since ORAS pushed basically everything from Emerald including main game improvements to the post-game -- and certainly, aside from Porygon-Z, this trailer's not doing much to alleviate those concerns. I think a purchase from me will depend on how much Platinum content is here and how much new content they decide to add.

Geez, there really is no winning with this fandom...

The only thing you should be concerned with is the Dex. Y'all really out here like it'll have the same engine issues DP had and stuff.

Porygon-Z was shown, but that doesn't mean anything. It was actually a Trophy Garden mon post-game.

Let's just wait and see. I for one, am hype that my boy Honchkrow is back.

https://83047120.pokemon.com/en-us/...social&utm_campaign=bdsp&utm_term=226announce
The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl can revisit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more.
so yeah, no Platinum story scenes or...any additions at all likely.

These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes.
Kind of...vague here, ngl. Guessing exp share is (1) back and (2) still always on

no mentions of the pokemon surprisingly.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Geez, there really is no winning with this fandom...

The only thing you should be concerned with is the Dex. Y'all really out here like it'll have the same engine issues DP had and stuff.

Porygon-Z was shown, but that doesn't mean anything. It was actually a Trophy Garden mon post-game.

Let's just wait and see. I for one, am hype that my boy Honchkrow is back.
Has there been a single instance in any Pokemon game reveal trailer where they demonstrated a Pokemon that was only obtainable postgame that wasn't a legendary? The PZ shot seems to seal the deal to me

no mentions of the pokemon surprisingly.
I don't think it should be.
After how their latest iterations of "messing with pokedexes" have been received, it's probably better to stay silent instead of giving partial or incorrect informations.

Personally I think we're looking at standard gen 4 pokedex without any addition aside just whatever ability, typing or stat changes happened in the next gens, and possibly without any weird limitation on evolutions, and if the remaining Pokemon are present, they're either in postgame or transfer only, but it's pure speculation.

I don't think it should be.
After how their latest iterations of "messing with pokedexes" have been received, it's probably better to stay silent instead of giving partial or incorrect informations.

Personally I think we're looking at standard gen 4 pokedex without any addition aside just whatever ability, typing or stat changes happened in the next gens, and possibly without any weird limitation on evolutions, and if the remaining Pokemon are present, they're either in postgame or transfer only, but it's pure speculation.
I thought they might since the presentation mentioned "Every pokemon available in Diamond & Pearl" and it would be nice to know a little more clarification about how that works because gen 4 is the one isntances where this is kind of important.

gen 4 is the one isntances where this is kind of important.
More of a reason to not mention the information yet, since we both know that whatever the answer is, people will complain about it.

All pokedex right away? MUH FAITHFUL RECREATION
Only Sinnoh dex? REEE DEXIT
Only Sinnoh dex until postgame? BRUUUUH ANNOYING WHY I CANT EVOLVE GOLBAT

In the end as stated multiple times, Sinnoh is the one remake they can't get right, no matter what they do.

More of a reason to not mention the information yet, since we both know that whatever the answer is, people will complain about it.

All pokedex right away? MUH FAITHFUL RECREATION
Only Sinnoh dex? REEE DEXIT
Only Sinnoh dex until postgame? BRUUUUH ANNOYING WHY I CANT EVOLVE GOLBAT

In the end as stated multiple times, Sinnoh is the one remake they can't get right, no matter what they do.
I mean by this logic they should have said and shown the absolute bare minimum and not even mention things like "its literally DP: again"

In terms of potential interactions with Sword and Shield, it will most likely just be like with Let's GO - only through HOME, and probably not two-way because of the Dynamax candy mechanic.
Dynamax candy mechanic wouldn't really matter any more than beauty didn't matter (but was still tracked) in all games without contests.
It probably will be one-way just to make it easy so you dont have a time

This is the first time in the franchise history that a remake has a complete different approach in art style than the generation it belongs to (differences between xy oras aren't even comparable to this), not only that, but I'm pretty sure there is no Dynamax, so it is also the first time that a core gerenerational mechanic dissapears from the remakes. It's also true that this shouldn't suprise anyone, since Fire Red and Leaf Green (HG/SS too), were remakes with a lot of content when compared to their generational counterparts (Ruby and Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl, being Emerald the only edition that can compete with FR/LG and Platinum with HG/SS), and this looks like a minor co-development to generate some isi money and make time for their new approach to the Pokémon series (the Arceus spin-off). I wouldn't expect any kind of ambition in regards to DP remakes.

I thought they might since the presentation mentioned "Every pokemon available in Diamond & Pearl" and it would be nice to know a little more clarification about how that works because gen 4 is the one isntances where this is kind of important.
makes you wonder if there will be even the alternative forms like Giratina Origin in it, but I think that is the least of our problems.
Every DP Pokemon doesn't necessary mean all Gen 4 Pokemon either... so we might see no E-Vire or other Pokemon you don't encounter in DP.

The most important part of this announcement is, for better or worse, Gliscor is back in some shape or form.
Gligar was a dongle Pokemon so if they don't incorporate the platinum dex changes and dont accomodate for it, comically, it could not be!

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
More than anything, I'm interested in how they'll handle the Battle Frontier. They at least need to have a Battle Tower because it's in Diamond/Pearl, but the other four facilities are a toss-up. I hope it's not another OR/AS, but almost nothing is confirmed yet, so we'll have to see.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's the human characters outside of battle that I don't like the look of. They look like motherfucking PlayMobil toys lololol.
Yeah, this. And I think I know why. Sprites are drawn so the faces of characters face the camera, and when a character faces east or west, you will see half their face in silhouette. Take this sprite of a Worker, for instance:

However, this is more difficult to achieve with a 3D model, as it would look like the character was craning their neck backwards to look up at the camera. A 3D model character looking straight ahead would not look at the camera, but at a point far below it. Most of what you see from the camera's perspective would be, well ...

The top of their head. A big helmet, with the body in barely visible detail below.

I think that's where this art style struggles a little. Even with the big Chibi heads, you don't see the faces of characters, only their hats and hair. Just look through the screenshots on the official page: It looks like you'll be staring into hats quite a lot. If you play as Lucas, he'll mostly be a big red dot with some running feet below. Dawn is, similarly, a white dot above some hair:

Sprites could do "tricks" with perspective that 3D models can't without looking awkward. It's the Golem issue all over again. I don't think it will make the games bad, but it is a bit distracting once you notice it.

The most important part of this announcement is, for better or worse, Gliscor is back in some shape or form.
So is Glameow, for the first time since the actual Gen IV.

More than anything, I'm interested in how they'll handle the Battle Frontier. They at least need to have a Battle Tower because it's in Diamond/Pearl, but the other four facilities are a toss-up. I hope it's not another OR/AS, but almost nothing is confirmed yet, so we'll have to see.
Considering how much they are emphasizing it being a DP remake, I highly doubt anything other than the Tower will be here

I think the game will have the following:
- no battle frontier
- no forms introduced after DP meaning no origin forms, no rotom forms, no sky form for shamin, no megas, no regional variants
- Pokemon in the DP Sinnoh Dex + Pokemon you can encounter in DP post game like Heatran, meaning not all Gen 4 Pokemon which would exclude Pokemon like Magmortar-line and E-Vire-line
- perhaps the regis will be in the game, but knowing Masuda, he will let Regigigas awaken without the Regi-Trio as well

Porygon-Z was shown, which was obtainable in DP postgame but only in the National Dex and not the actual region dex until Platinum.
EDIT: Also I just saw your post on the first page mentioning this. Oops.
1614356708178.png

Last edited:
Porygon-Z was shown, which was obtainable in DP postgame but only in the National Dex and not the actual region dex until Platinum.
View attachment 319004
This is why I want a little clarification because there's a world of difference between "available in the post game" and "available in the main game", especially for the surrounding Implications of other quirks of DP's pokemon round up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)