Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Assume it right now. There's no intention of doing anything. Cero. Nothing. Nada. And they have been proving this to you for the past 7-8 years. It just hurts me to see some people blinded by Game Freak absolute lack of ambition, either because they are too young to identify or live what Pokémon was and how much potential it had, or because complaining (and with a reason) or critizing them is seeing as a hating attitude. That's why we are here. We should be expecting, at minimum, something like HG/SS. This is Pokémon, this is Switch. POKÉMON. It's not a minor franchise without resources. It's not about being a graphicwhore. It's just about having a minimal knowledge of what Pokémon should be or what you should expect from a company like Game Freak.
If GameFreak had a lack of ambition, Pokémon Legends wouldn't exist.

And this isn't something that we should expect from a company like GameFreak, because BDSP was not developed by GameFreak. It was developed by ILCA. And TBH, the fact that this is the first mainline game to not be developed by GameFreak actually shows that they are listening. People were saying after SWSH that GameFreak should outsource to other companies so that they could make better games. And what did GameFreak do? They listened to the fans and outsourced the Gen 4 remakes.

You have to understand that Japanese people are very proud and traditional, especially when it comes to their work. GameFreak especially is incredibly stubborn. If fans wanted them to outsource back in like 2014, GameFreak would have scoffed at them. And yet, here they are, outsourcing their work, because they finally understand that the formula they've been using for 25 years is starting to fall behind, and if they want catch up, they need to do two things: 1) Experiment more, and 2) accept that they can't make every mainline game themselves.

There's Pokéathlon, bro. There's catching contest. There's Pokémon Safari. There's Battle Frontier. This alone is more content that the entirety of USUM, i'm just overkilling it. There's a second region. There are new legendary events, and one of the coolest btw, the Arceus one that involved the creation trio. Just stop, don't force yourself.
Heres the issue: i literally dont like any of those lmao. The catching contest could have been removed for all that i care, the pokeathlon is fun for the first time but annoying on emulators and becomes repetitive really fast, the safari mechanics of hgss are some of the worst ones (i dont even like the safari zone in most games to be fair) in the franchise, the second region has nothing interessing going on for it other than the red grind and maybe green/blue and should have been removed to focus on making johto a better region tbh. Legendary events are really not something I care for in any game, other than pokedex completion, and arceus is ugly as hell lol. Also I might be wrong but isnt the arceus event in hgss found only by hacking?

The usum postgame is not perfect and it should have been expanded (and it doesnt excuse the downgrade in the story like wtf) but, unlike hgss, I actually had fun with it lmao.

Going back to the topic though, shout out on these games for having the worst acronym of the series. Its not something serious or anything of course but... BDSP...

I'll probably not buy these games but I feel like the chibi style has a lot of potential, and it'd be cool to have a Links awakening main series on the side (does that even make sense?).

If GameFreak had a lack of ambition, Pokémon Legends wouldn't exist.
No.

Game Freak already has a proven lack of ambition demostrated in their games, mainly their main franchise series of games. Pokémon Legends doesn't prove anything by itself, since the realization of the product, or in this case, its presentation, lacks the reasons to prove itself as ambitious or not. So, assuming your entire message starts from a wrong point, the rest should be automatically ignored.

Game Freak lack of ambition has been demostrated for several years. Pokémon Legends exist, thats the logical fact. And now, their existance should demostrate that it has ambition, and this should be done via quality content. So my statement prevails.

Heres the issue: i literally dont like any of those lmao.
It's not a matter of liking it or not, I'm not taking your personal opinion into consideration. It's a matter of content versus content. My brother don't like Pokémon Insurgence; it has about 10 times more content than any official Pokémon game. Both things, personal prefferences and objective mechanics, shouldn't be confused.

Unown gets a new signature move where it rearranges itself to spell obscene language and dreamworks movie scripts featuring jerry Seinfeld to threaten and confuse the opponent
and watch as said move ended up so broken that Unown is banned to Ubers or even AG.

Going back to the topic though, shout out on these games for having the worst acronym of the series. Its not something serious or anything of course but... BDSP...
You know when I first read the acronym I find out its only one letter away from PTSD if you rearrange the letters.

No.

Game Freak already has a proven lack of ambition demostrated in their games, mainly their main franchise series of games. Pokémon Legends doesn't prove anything by itself, since the realization of the product, or in this case, its presentation, lacks the reasons to prove itself as ambitious or not. So, assuming your entire message starts from a wrong point, the rest should be automatically ignored.

Game Freak lack of ambition has been demostrated for several years. Pokémon Legends exist, thats the logical fact. And now, their existance should demostrate that it has ambition, and this should be done via quality content. So my statement prevails.
...You don't think that the simple existence of a completely open-world mainline Pokémon game with seamless battles is ambitious? Honestly it kind of seems like you're just so disappointed with the last few generations that you've become incredibly pessimistic and refuse to believe that Pokémon can change. And that's completely understandable. But you shouldn't become so jaded that you can't see the improvements even when they're printed out for you.

What's wrong with BDSP? I like it; it rolls of the tongue nicely and...

reads acronym again

Oh.

OH.

pain.jpg

So if this happens to be DP Specific, here's what we're looking at. I've seperated out various notable methods (except super rod because I lost track somewhere in the battle island so its just lumped with post-game) for you to remove at your leisure. I left out the very small handful of cross-gen evos from 6 & 8 just for simplicity.

Dex
Backlot
Pokeradar
Dongle
Swarm
Great Marsh
Post Game
Misc
Turtwig​
Igglybuff​
NidoranF​
Seedot​
Pidgey​
Paras​
Clamperl​
Phione​
Grotle​
Jigglypuff​
Nidorina​
Nuzleaf​
Pidgeotto​
Parasect​
Huntail​
Darkrai​
Torterra​
Wigglytuff​
Nidoqueen​
Shiftry​
Pidgeot​
Exeggcute​
Gorebyss​
Shaymin​
Chimchar​
Meowth​
NidoranM​
Mawile​
Magnemite​
Exeggutor​
Chinchou​
Arceus​
Monferno​
Persian​
Nidorino​
Zangoose​
Magneton​
Kangaskhan​
Lanturn​
Infernape​
Eevee​
Nidoking​
Solrock​
Magnezone​
Yanma​
Shellder​
Piplup​
Vaporeon​
Venonat​
Lotad​
Farfetch’d​
Yanmega​
Cloyster​
Prinplup​
Jolteon​
Venomoth​
Lombre​
Doduo​
Shroomish​
Dratini​
Empoleon​
Flareon​
Mankey​
Ludicolo​
Dodrio​
Breloom​
Dragonair​
Starly​
Espeon​
Primeape​
Sableye​
Drowzee​
Gulpin​
Dragonite​
Staravia​
Umbreon​
Slowpoke​
Seviper​
Hypno​
Swalot​
Corphish​
Staraptor​
Leafeon​
Slowbro​
Lunatone​
Krabby​
Crawdaunt​
Bidoof​
Glaceon​
Slowking​
Caterpie​
Kingler​
Carvanha​
Bibarel​
Porygon​
Grimer​
Metapod​
Voltorb​
Sharpedo​
Kricketot​
Porygon2​
Muk​
Butterfree​
Electrode​
Wailmer​
Kricketune​
Porygon-Z​
Tauros​
Ekans​
Cubone​
Wailord​
Shinx​
Plusle​
Ditto​
Arbok​
Marowak​
Rotom​
Luxio​
Minun​
Sentret​
Growlithe​
Lickitung​
Cresselia​
Luxray​
Castform​
Furret​
Arcanine​
Lickilicky​
Giratina​
Abra​
Togepi​
Elekid​
Natu​
Regigigas​
Kadabra​
Togetic​
Electabuzz​
Xatu​
Lapras​
Alakazam​
Togekiss​
Electivire​
Dunsparce​
Rattata​
Magikarp​
Mareep​
Weedle​
Snubbull​
Raticate​
Gyarados​
Flaaffy​
Kakuna​
Granbull​
Spearow​
Budew​
Ampharos​
Beedrill​
Swinub​
Fearow​
Roselia​
Hoppip​
Sandshrew​
Piloswine​
Shuppet​
Roserade​
Skiploom​
Sandslash​
Mamoswine​
Banette​
Zubat​
Jumpluff​
Vulpix​
Corsola​
Poliwag​
Golbat​
Sunkern​
Ninetales​
Delibird​
Poliwhirl​
Crobat​
Sunflora​
Magby​
Phanpy​
Poliwrath​
Geodude​
Wynaut​
Magmar​
Donphan​
Politoed​
Graveler​
Wobbuffet​
Magmortar​
Smoochum​
Seel​
Golem​
Houndour​
Teddiursa​
Jynx​
Dewgong​
Onix​
Houndoom​
Ursaring​
Zigzagoon​
Spheal​
Steelix​
Stantler​
Pineco​
Linoone​
Sealeo​
Cranidos​
Smeargle​
Foretress​
Surskit​
Walrein​
Rampardos​
Tyrogue​
Gligar​
Masquerain​
Horsea​
Shieldon​
Hitmonchan​
Gliscor​
Slakoth​
Seadra​
Bastiodon​
Hitmonlee​
Shuckle​
Vigoroth​
Kingdra​
Machop​
Hitmontop​
Slaking​
Relicanth​
Machoke​
Miltank​
Makuhita​
Koffing​
Machamp​
Larvitar​
Hariyama​
Weezing​
Psyduck​
Pupitar​
Nosepass​
Rhyhorn​
Golduck​
Tyranitar​
Probopass​
Rhydon​
Burmy​
Poochyena​
Skitty​
Rhyperior​
Wormadam​
Mightyena​
Delcatty​
Skarmory​
Mothim​
Ralts​
Electrike​
Numel​
Wurmple​
Kirlia​
Manectric​
Camerupt​
Silcoon​
Gardevoir​
Spoink​
Slugma​
Beautifly​
Gallade​
Grumpig​
Magcargo​
Cascoon​
Nincada​
Spinda​
Heatran​
Dutsox​
Ninjask​
Absol​
Diglett​
Combee​
Shedinja​
Beldum​
Dugtrio​
Vespiquen​
Whismur​
Metang​
Cacnea​
Pachirisu​
Loudred​
Metagross​
Cacturne​
Buizel​
Exploud​
Oddish​
Floatzel​
Aron​
Gloom​
Cherubi​
Lairon​
Vileplume​
Cherrim​
Aggron​
Bellsprout​
Shellos​
Torkoal​
Weepinbell​
Gastrodon​
Trapinch​
Victreebel​
Heracross​
Vibrava​
Scyther​
Aipom​
Flygon​
Scizor​
Ambipom​
Swablu​
Pinsir​
Drifloon​
Altaria​
Ledyba​
Drifblim​
Baltoy​
Ledian​
Buneary​
Claydol​
Spinarak​
Lopunny​
Duskull​
Ariados​
Gastly​
Dusclops​
Volbeat​
Haunter​
Dusknoir​
Illumise​
Gengar​
Snorunt​
Omanyte​
Misdreavus​
Glalie​
Omastar​
Mismagius​
Froslass​
Kabuto​
Murkrow​
Bagon​
Kabutops​
Honchkrow​
Shelgon​
Aerodactyl​
Glameow​
Salamence​
Anorith​
Purugly​
Amraldo​
Goldeen​
Lileep​
Seaking​
Cradily​
Barboach​
Whiscash​
Chingling​
Chimecho​
Stunky​
Skuntank​
Meditite​
Medicham​
Bronzor​
Bronzong​
Ponyta​
Rapidash​
Bonsly​
Sudoowodo​
Mime Jr​
Mr Mime​
Happiny​
Chansey​
Blissey​
Cleffa​
Clefairy​
Clefable​
Chatot​
Pichu​
Pikachu​
Raichu​
Hoothoot​
Noctowl​
Spiritomb​
Gible​
Gabite​
Garhcomp​
Munchlax​
Snorlax​
Unown​
Riolu​
Lucario​
Wooper​
Quagsire​
Wingull​
Pelipper​
Girafarig​
Hippopotas​
Hippowdon​
Azurill​
Marill​
Azumarill​
Skorupi​
Drapion​
Croagunk​
Toxicroak​
Carnivine​
Remoraid​
Octillery​
Finneon​
Lumineon​
Tentacool​
Tentacruel​
Feebas​
Milotic​
Mantyke​
Mantine​
Snover​
Abomasnow​
Sneasel​
Weavile​
Uxie​
Mesprit​
Azelf​
Dialga​
Palkia​
Manaphy​

Disclaimer: I have not read through all previous posts in this thread yet, so apologies if I am repeating things others have already said.

I have mixed thoughts and expectations on these games. I wasn't sure if they would do D/P remakes, but now they are here... and they are not quite what I expected. In the past, I always thought that if they made D/P remakes, they would be more in the style of the current generation (which is S/S right now) since that's what past remakes have done. I also thought they would at least change some things, but going from the trailer, these games seem to be extremely faithful to the originals. In comparison, FR/LG, HG/SS and OR/AS did at least do some changes to their originals, and while not all of them were for the better, they did at least try.

I really wonder how BD/SP will handle the things Platinum added. While I think the past remakes could get away with not having everything from their third versions, I don't feel that way about these. FR/LG had little to nothing from Yellow and did just fine anyway (I'd even say it was a good thing since I liked R/B better than Yellow from the original Kanto games), HG/SS did not keep everything from Crystal but they would probably still have sucked even if they did (maybe just a little less, but its Johto so they would still have been awful). Then there's OR/AS which didn't keep everything from Emerald. While I am personally missing one or two of these things Emerald had that the remakes were missing, I still think OR/AS did just fine without them and I like them much better than the original Hoenn games. Everything they did was good enough and I feel that the new things they added was enough to make up for the Emerald content they were missing. In comparison, I feel that BD/SP needs most of the Platinum content in order to feel complete, unless they do like OR/AS and add lots of new stuff to make up for it... which I'm not sure if they will do. Doesn't look like it from the trailer, but I guess it is too early to judge. We'll have to see how they do.

I really like the original Sinnoh games. Platinum is a really great game and my 6th favorite Pokémon game overall, and I think D/P were good for their time as well. But I don't like Pokémon remakes. They are my least favorite type of Pokémon game. While I liked FR/LG and OR/AS, I wasn't very fond of HG/SS (they are my least favorite Pokémon games), and I have no interest in ever playing LGP/E, they just don't appeal to me. My first impression of BD/SP isn't completely positive either, so it seems like this will continue. Looking back, it is sad to see how the remakes still ends up getting the short end of the stick when it comes to my preferences regarding Pokémon games, but I guess that's just how it is.

I'm not sold on the graphical style of these games either. It looks cute, but I have gotten to appreciate the more realistic style (relatively speaking) which we have seen in Gen 7 and S/S, and I thought it would be more similar to that. Still, it isn't downright bad, just not quite what I expected. I also wonder how they will handle several features in these games. First, things from the original Sinnoh games such as the Underground, Pokétch, Super Contests and the like. Will they be in the games? How will they handle things based on two screens and the touch screen? The Switch only has one screen, and while it is a touch screen, it is only so in handheld mode. Then there's things from S/S like Dynamax, a wild area and raids, will these be in the games as well? Going from the trailer, I would guess not, but who knows? And which Pokémon will be in the games? All 898, or will they have a dexit of some kind? Will they even feature any new Pokémon past Gen 4? Will they feature things that have been introduced after the original Sinnoh games, like the Fairy type and new moves/abilities? If there's not a whole lot of new stuff to be found in these remakes, then I might as well just stick with my original Sinnoh games.

At this point, I'm not sure if I will get Shining Pearl. If I do get one of them, Shining Pearl will be the only one. The reason being that I got Pearl before Diamond from the originals, and I have always liked it better. Plus, I like Palkia better than Dialga. And since I have decided to no longer get both games from a pair now that the games are on the Switch, SP will be the only one I get if I decide to get it at all. Like with Legends, I'll await more information about the games before making a decision. Maybe I'll get it on the release, maybe at a later point, and maybe not at all. My guess is that these games will be released in November just like the standard has been the past few years. That gives me 9 months to think about it while looking into more information as it gets revealed, and that's a good amount of time. My current burnout on Pokémon will probably continue for a bit longer, and I'll continue being on a break from the series too.

I'm going to repost this from the Unpopular Opinions thread:

"Given Gamefreak's awful track record since XY, I'd rather DP remakes never be made by them. Don't taint the DS era, the best years of the franchise (to me), with current Gamefreak's stink. And they'd ignore many of the improvements made by Platinum as well. I can't see DP remakes being anything more than insulting to the base games and dumpster fires nowadays. "

Okay, while Gamefreak isn't the primary force behind making this game, I still can't see these games being anything less than massively disrespectful to the DS era. If by some miracle these games don't turn out to be hot trash, I can call my bluff. But I don't expect that to happen. If I want Sinnoh/Gen 4, I already have those games. And they're way better than the garbage that has come from this series since XY.

Heres the issue: i literally dont like any of those lmao. The catching contest could have been removed for all that i care, the pokeathlon is fun for the first time but annoying on emulators and becomes repetitive really fast, the safari mechanics of hgss are some of the worst ones (i dont even like the safari zone in most games to be fair) in the franchise, the second region has nothing interessing going on for it other than the red grind and maybe green/blue and should have been removed to focus on making johto a better region tbh. Legendary events are really not something I care for in any game, other than pokedex completion, and arceus is ugly as hell lol. Also I might be wrong but isnt the arceus event in hgss found only by hacking?

The usum postgame is not perfect and it should have been expanded (and it doesnt excuse the downgrade in the story like wtf) but, unlike hgss, I actually had fun with it lmao.

I'll probably not buy these games but I feel like the chibi style has a lot of potential, and it'd be cool to have a Links awakening main series on the side (does that even make sense?).
You're just dumping a ton of biased, subjective nonsense here for no reason tbh.

And that's coming from someone who'd rather play GSC instead of HGSS.

...You don't think that the simple existence of a completely open-world mainline Pokémon game with seamless battles is ambitious? Honestly it kind of seems like you're just so disappointed with the last few generations that you've become incredibly pessimistic and refuse to believe that Pokémon can change. And that's completely understandable. But you shouldn't become so jaded that you can't see the improvements even when they're printed out for you.
Nope, and I wouldn't use that as an argument, because you are infering how do you think I feel and that won't take us anywhere.

The existance of a open-world game, by itself, is not an indicative of ambition. I shouldn't add details to the multiple examples in which this may come, but lets just emphasize that Open-World, as a environment design, is not related to ambition, in the same way a 2D Sidescroller can have much ambition within itself, and in fact, this has been the case for years in the indie scene. Ambition may come in original ideas and genuine quality content, and precisely in this industry we've seen a wide array of dull games represented in open worlds.

The Legend of Zelda (1986, NES) was a very ambitous game, not because it was an open world, but because it was the first attempt of the cRPG formula translated to domestic consoles, meaning it was a new way of interpretating how an action adventure game should be played in an era dominated by arcades and the "keep going and kill everything til the end of the stage" design philosophy. Had TLoZ been just "an open world game", its legacy wouldn't have endured.

In the current videogame industry, where every minor studio has the tools to approach an open world environment, and where we've seen tons of mediocre open world tittles, saying openworld is exactly the same as saying nothing. People is looking at the quality of the game, instead of how the game is played. We all know how these games are played, this is not 1986 anymore. What we've seen in video, is a (comparatively) poor adaptation of what a Nintendo Switch open world should look like, and I'm comparing real Switch products when doing this comparison, it's not a subjective point of view. I, of course, will not approach the topic about the quality of the game because I don't know nothing about it apart from what we've seen in the video, but that is not related to what we're discussing here. We are discussing if the making of an openworld game is, in this day, in the current status of the videogame industry, enough tho call the project "an ambitious project", and it's not. That depends on the characteristics of said game, because there's a big leap between Proteus and GTA San Andreas.

Again, this is not about Legends being a good or a bad game. I'd say it doesn't look as good as it should, and that I seriously think the Chingling we saw moving at 10 FPS in the trailer is going to remain in the final product, as they did it already with Sword and Shield, making 0 substantial improvements, if at any, during the entire development of the game until its release. This is all about the argument of a world design decission being enough to justify the use of the word "ambition" in a project. And it's clearly not. Game Freak is doing something different. Now, if that something different is ambitious or not, we'll have to see. Based on precedents, it will not. But again, based on precedents, the main core franchise should be, and it isn't anymore.

How do you expect them to suck ass in particular
Lack of content (not matching the DS era in terms of that...you know, where these remakes originate from), very questionable artstyle, piss easiness (DPP actually had a bit of difficulty), same shallow DP Dex, little to no Platinum improvements, degenerate features still making a return (forced Gen 6+ Exp. Share, capture Exp., etc.), technical issues, Dexit (and the game won't make up for that), Movexit, content from the original games getting cut, lack of thought and care being put into the games, etc. And again. Lack. Of. Content.

I don't hate remakes on principle: HGSS are my favorite Pokemon games overall. Thing is, those where amazing remakes and pretty good games in their own right. ORAS were an insult to RS(E), however, and these latest remakes are riding on the massive decline train that XY started (and that SwiSh aggravated.). So no, I don't expect these games to be anything less than fucking awful.

(And I guess I should cover FRLG: they're fine. Not amazing or anything, but not bad.)

DPP actually had a bit of difficulty
:psysly:

I'm still going to say that DP is underrated as a base. Just a couple of minor tweaks (that were already done in Platinum, mind you) and we're getting a Top 5 Mainline game.

Dex Expansion + Mid-Game Level Curve fix and we good. Straight up.

Isn't Masuda involved? I don't trust him nor Omori to be honest.
Sadly yes, but this is why we know Legends will be good. Remakes taking one for the team. :psysly:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly while I have a bit of reservations on the Legends title I'd say the fact that they're actually making it an action RPG with seamless combat and full on 3D exploration is a step up in the right direction in terms of ambition and experimentation. For a company that is notoriously conservative and resistant to rocking the boat, the fact that they're experimenting in a way that can potentially be something incredibly refreshing for Pokemon is really neat and shows a decent degree of ambition, especially from a company that has never been open to really shaking things up with Pokemon at all.

Even with the transition to 3D they were more or less remarkably resistant to changing things up to the point where even the recent 3D games were effectively 2D Pokemon titles in disguise, but Legends really refreshes things and shows that they *can* do a really good 3D Pokemon game: whether they perfect it or not is another story, but this is a big step in the right direction.

Current Experience Share is not the problem, the problem is it doesn't synergize at all with the game's lack of level cap. It makes sense from both, a design perspective and a ingame narrative perspective, that a Pokémon can't pass a certain level if its trainer isn't strong enough. Levels don't exist in Pokémon, there's no such thing from the ingame inhabitants as a level 72 Alakazam. The level is an abstract representation of a Pokémon strength, and so, a trainer with 2 medals shouldn't be allowed to have a level 92 in their party.

Sword and Shield makes things even worse, because the game encourages you to extensively use the Wild Area and periodicaly come back to it, meaning in about 5-8 hours of playing it, you can level your starter to absurds levels and fight the first gym with a level 60 mon if you want. This option should not be granted to the player, because part of the design work resides in what the designers allow you to do.

Actual Experience Share is not bad at all because it allows you to change your party at any time. Anyone who keeps replaying the old games knows how boring is to add a new Pokémon to your team, because by the time you find a couple of level 13 interestings mons, your team is around level 30, and here it comes the classic grinding of "i start the battle with the Pokémon i want to train first, then change it to my killing mom and win the battle until it levels up and reaches the rest of the team". Just active the exp share and add every Pokémon you like to your team in a matter of minutes (a few battles), but don't allow the player to surpass level 20 before they win their second badge, for example.

Doing so, you keep the good things of both worlds. You'll never be overleved and you won't have to impose upon yourself extraofficial rules to make the games more enjoyable, because the game wont allow you to overlevel your team, and at the same time, you can change any member of your team at any time with ease, without the tedious old school level grinding. This is what some fanmade Pokémon games do, they give to you a lot of tools to train your mons, but at the same time they dont allow you to overlevel. This helps the player to achieve a certain satisfaction that shouldn't be possible by grinding, and will force new players to pay some attention to team composition without making the game excesively hard. If you have 0 water resistances by the time you reach the 4th gym and the leader has a Drizzle Politoed + SS Ludicolo offensive core and you cant overlevel it, either you learn about water resistances (and the game, as I said, will give you every tool to facilitate the training of your new, needed Pokémon without making it a boring task) or you will be blocked forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)