Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Gen 5 was on the same system and didn't have any of these problems despite being vastly more intricate across the board, so I'm not really sure what Gen 4's major malfunction is.
The malfunction is just by design. None of the things you mentioned are bugs, but things deliberately added that were greatly disliked by most players (ironically, you had a better experience on emulators, as back then, NO$GBA, the only emulator that could run at a decent speed, showed the "stuck" tiles with a different color), and the "Saving a lot of data" thing was well-intentioned, but overly paranoid.

There was no limitation, no issue that forced their hand (not like the Dexit rumors).

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
REALLY nervous about what looks to be the inclusion of the Union Room. If we really have to go there to do any connecting with other players, it's really going to be like 20 steps backwards and highly disappointing.

Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Good news for you: There's essentially no way these games can possibly be as slow as the OGs just because of passing technology. Healthbar scroll, general game speed, that'll all be patched up. And while we can't be sure it's likely based on past experience that stuff like HM overuse will be culled too.

The malfunction is just by design. None of the things you mentioned are bugs, but things deliberately added that were greatly disliked by most players (ironically, you had a better experience on emulators, as back then, NO$GBA, the only emulator that could run at a decent speed, showed the "stuck" tiles with a different color), and the "Saving a lot of data" thing was well-intentioned, but overly paranoid.
Wait, that stuff was intentional? Fr?

There was no limitation, no issue that forced their hand (not like the Dexit rumors).
I strongly, hugely doubt they intentionally made "Saving A Lot Of Data" go on for like 10 seconds

I strongly, hugely doubt they intentionally made "Saving A Lot Of Data" go on for like 10 seconds
It's a measure made to avoid corruption... except taken to the extreme, as it recalculates checksums of EVERY SINGLE Pokémon in your boxes (yes, plural).

UPDATE: I searched a little further and there's some speculation that it's also meant to stop potential cloning tricks involving the PC, like the one discovered in Emerald.

Last edited:
It's a measure made to avoid corruption... except taken on the extreme, as it recalculates checksums of EVERY SINGLE Pokémon in your boxes (yes, plural).
OK so there is a technical reason. That makes more sense than what I was first reading this as, which was they purposely extended it for.........mysterious reasons.
iirc the other ds games also do it but significantly faster with each title, did they just optimize the checksums each time or did they just keep redoing it until throwing it out?

from a zoomed out perspective it does strike me as having a long saving screen would introduce more avenues for corruption and I kind of wonder if they had corruption issues during development specifically....

REALLY nervous about what looks to be the inclusion of the Union Room. If we really have to go there to do any connecting with other players, it's really going to be like 20 steps backwards and highly disappointing.

Just have to wait and see.
Don’t worry, it’s not like devs are incapable of making good online Pokémon anymore. In fact, just recently we got the PSS
*checks notes*
in... 2013

I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned this yet:

View attachment 319500 View attachment 319501
At 1:03 in the trailer, we see what looks like a wild Garchomp in a cave area (there's no Trainer standing behind it). This never happened in any of the original D/P/Pt.
Could just be a beta. They’ve shown things that didn’t make it in the final version before, like Fairy Wind Gardevoir and Beast Ball Naganadel.

Could just be a beta. They’ve shown things that didn’t make it in the final version before, like Fairy Wind Gardevoir and Beast Ball Naganadel.
Even reading beast ball naganadel made my skin crawl. Why didn’t we get beast ball naganadel in usum? Why? WHY?! sorry. Calm down, Solemn6. Gen 7 was over 3 years ago. Remember what you learned in therapy.

Last edited:
I'm honestly at a loss as to how Sinnoh never seems to get any flack for what I would consider a more serious flaw than the ones in all of those other regions combined.
You sure about that? It's the one thing people bash more than HMs lmao.
I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned this yet:

View attachment 319500 View attachment 319501
At 1:03 in the trailer, we see what looks like a wild Garchomp in a cave area (there's no Trainer standing behind it). This never happened in any of the original D/P/Pt.
Wild Chomp means different Wild Tables, which means...

4znptt.jpg

If there's anything that would be looked into its less "wild" Garchomp for a series whose trailers routinely rig up battles and more the implication present in the takara tomy toys including Mega Charizard (a pokemon who was completely unavailable without transfer or trade) and Complete Zygarde (who, uh, didn't exist)

It is, of course, possible the charizard & zygarde toys are just them adding some popular toys to the line (& likewise possible that Mega Lucario isn't indicative of anything unlike the mega before) but I'm more willing to eyesemoji over that than garchomp, is my point

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
To me it's a simple answer to this conundrum: What were the ORAS and Let's Go tie-in merch like? I'm aware the latter basically gave away Megas in LGPE, but did either of them have any weird out-of-gen stragglers like Zygarde-C in this line, and if so did they have any relevance within the actual games being promoted? If the answer to those questions is yes and no respectively then we can probably cross that off as an irrelevant red herring

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we're seeing wild Garchomp by the end of the game or a post-game area. Checked out the website after I watched the trailer, and it says:
These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series
To me, that means EXP Share, and if that's what that means then they're probably scaling up the levels to account for that. Wild Garchomp wouldn't surprise me given that, but we'll have to see.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Fwiw GF might be making a conscious effort to avoid intentional misleading mock fights like that since that Blaziken image caused issues for falsely tricking people into thinking it'd get Ice Punch. In general idt they've done these sorts of "mock fights" for trailers since Gen 6 or at least I can't think of any examples so this Garchomp might be more legit than believed

Before ORAS, Megas were also location locked.

They have a precedent of retconning whatever they felt like changing.
People keep saying this but I dont recall them ever saying this; I know it was discovered in Kalos but I cant remember them saying the stones were only found there at all

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Trailer starts and we get to the part where they start-up DP on the DS*
Oh my Arceus. OH MY ARCEUS!! THEY'RE DOING IT! THEY'RE MAKING THE DIAMOND AND PEARL RE-...
*Cut to the remake's graphics*
... What is this? Are they doing Link's Awakening DX style...
*Shows trainers have normal models during battle*
Okay, no. Chibi overworld, normal models in battle, are they trying to re-create the visual style of the DS games? Why?

And those were my first thoughts on the DP Remakes. And here we were all worried about them trying to shove Dynamax into the story, what we should have been worried about is them once again taking the term "remake" LITERALLY. Man, and we complained when ORAS excluded the Emerald stuff and how GF took the term "remake" "literally". Apparently Masuda considered that a challenge and went "ORAS wasn't a literal remake, I'LL SHOW YOU A LITERAL REMAKE"!

Stupid! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

"Wow, the graphics bother you that much"? It's not the graphics! I actually think what they're doing graphically is kind of cute; now I obviously don't want it for the remakes, but at the same time I can understand them seeing the remakes a chance to experiment. But, just look at the designs and what they're saying. Dawn, Lucas, and Barry look EXACTLY as they did in the original Diamond & Pearl! The website says:
"The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl can revisit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more."
... So, what I'm being told here, is that I can take my original Diamond version, replay it, and I would get the SAME. EXACT. EXPERIENCE. As I would playing these "remakes"...

THEN WHY SHOULD I BUY THE REMAKES?!
I'VE ALREADY PLAYED THE ORIGINALS!!!

Now, I suppose for NEW players this could be their first experience playing Diamond & Pearl. And so for them:
  1. GO TO AMAZON/EBAY/YOUR LOCAL GAME STORE/WHATEVER
  2. BUY A CHEAP DS/DS LITE/3DS/2DS/WHATEVER
  3. BUY PLATINUM VERSION AND PLAY THAT!
Why play a remake of the INFERIOR version when you can instead just the superior enhanced version?
"I'm not going to spend 100+ bucks just to play an old game..."
Well you're about to pay 60 bucks to play an old game but please continue hypothetical counterargument person.
"I have a Switch, I've never played Diamond or Pearl before, why shouldn't I buy this remake?"

Well, I guess if getting a DS and Platinum version is out of the question (as well as just downloading a ROM)... just watch a playthrough. I highly suggest Chuggaaconroy's or, if you want a Nuzlocke, TeamFourStar's playthrough.

"LISTEN TO ME! I. Want. To. Play. The. Game"
Well, if that's how you feel I really don't have anything else to say.

*HEAVY SIGH* So, with that out of way, I want to take a moment to figure out what poor choices let to this mistake.

• First off, Masuda. Might as well start with out favorite GF staff punching bag. This totally feels like a Masuda move. Ever since jumping to 3D or maybe after having played Link's Awakening DX I could see hint wanting to try and literally recreate the visuals of a main series Pokemon game.
  • Two, I'm gonna hazard a guess that GF actually had NO interest in remaking Diamond & Pearl, or at least at this time. Maybe they agreed with us, Dynamax wouldn't fit Sinnoh, better sit on it.
  • BUT WAIT! Numero tres, since GF haven't apparently learned their f***in' lesson, they need a new Pokemon game to come for 2021 (and 2022)! Because that's what nobody has been asking for, continuing the downward trend of yearly main series Pokemon releases.
So, let's take these three factors, put them in a blender, and make a bad idea smoothie! They need to make a game quick & dirty for 2021, Masuda has an idea for a game that would probably be easy to throw together, and DP is the next remake on the chopping block. BUT WAIT! We still have the issue of GF not being interested in making the remakes, plus for 2022 they came up with a much more interesting idea they want to focus their resources on.

Enter ILCA, Inc, poor poor ILCA. No Wikipedia page for them and their main is in Japanese so hard to find information, from what I can tell they seem to be a sort of supportive developer providing extra staff to game companies. They've worked on big titles such as Dragon Quest 11, Ace Combat 7, Code Vein, and Nier Automata. However Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl (BDSP) looks to be their first big major game to be developing. Man, I can only imagine how excited they must have been, not only hired to develop the game but it's a big major title too, Pokemon! And directing them is the GREAT Mr. Masuda! And what's that? He has a GREAT idea for the direction to take the DP remakes, and I'm sure there's probably a few ILCA staff who loved DP so are super excited to get started!...

... So, let me predict what's going to happen when the game is finally released:
  • If it sells good, Masuda will be praised for the direction he took the game while ILCA, Inc at most collects a paycheck and fade back to being supportive developer as their contributions to making BDSP is downplayed. I mean, they couldn't have done it without Masuda's directing!
  • If it sells bad, well obviously ILCA just wasn't up to snuff to capture Masuda's vision. Guess ILCA will just has to go back to being a supportive developer but now with the reputation for making a bad main series Pokemon game. Oh, wait, they were banking on the remake doing well for their company to stay afloat? Oopsie, so sad, too bad. And while the employees of ILCA start looking for new jobs Masuda strolls off to the next Pokemon project to ruin with his bad ideas.
GF is really selling ILCA down the river here.

Okay, enough semi-exaggerations. Man, I feel so sorry for anyone who was looking forward to DP remakes, seeing how all previous remakes were updated with new visual styles and new plot elements added in and excited to see what they could do with Sinnoh, a region full of legends and the Legendary Pokemon which are the closest things to gods in the Pokemon world! If you can't already tell, I've written off these games. GF is going to have to do a LOT to show me these games are worth buying. They're going to have to show me that, no, they're not 1:1 remake, there's going to be new stuff in there, there's going to be Platinum stuff in there, and they're going to have to show creativity with the visual style.

But we know they won't. I'll start responding to any comments I feel I can add some thought on now.

Out of curiosity I dusted off my old Pokemon Diamond game and 3DS and gave it a spin for 10 min. At the same time I was looking at the Switch version, and from a over world point of view I could barely spot any difference. Sure the Switch is more smooth and polished, but it hardly matters when all I am seeing is large running hats and copy + paste trees, grass etc. Sure the battles will look different, but knowing the story and region will be identical I have no motivation to get this game.

Even if GF reverse Dexit and allow everything in SwSh this still won't be enough, I can just transfer my Ultra Moon Pokemon over and save myself £30-40. No, there needs to be something really special in this game (e.g. Lots of new exclusive Megas or forms, a large new post game area etc.) for me to get it, and a Platinum Pokedex won't cut it for me. Hopefully Legends will make good with their very promising introduction, otherwise its going to be a few years before I buy another Pokemon game.

If BDSP prove to be as bad as I think they will be, then on release day I will restart my old Diamond game and enjoy playing classic Pokemon.

As angry as some people can get about the art style, some fans and youtubers (shofu comes to mind) was asking for a style EXACTLY like this because he hated the SWSH format. Sometimes we forget in our little bubbles how big and varied our opinions and wants really are; for some this is a dream come true, and for others, its a living nightmare, kinda fascinating to see it all play out.

And no, you silly gooselings, you wont get the "exact same experience", not unless they introduce limited TMs, the same snails pace of HP depletion, the same mandatory HMs, the same exact moves while removing anything from gen 4 onwards....No. Some people have forgotten just how many quality of life changes have been made, and wanted to have the nostalgia of the old games while getting the mechanic changes of the new ones. Because thats the main demographic theyre hitting at; us peeps from 15 years ago, not the little timmys fresh from Go and SWSH or Lets Go. And if others buy into the pearl remakes, well thats just a bigger audience

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, since I never played the originals outside of emulation, I'm absolutely going to get these.
If you played a Platinum emulation it sounds like you already played the better experience.

On the brightside there's a Porygon-Z so, hey! Probably the platinum pokedex. But I wouldn't be surprsied if there were no swarms, pokeradar, etc pokemon.

Swarms and PokeRadar were in the original game so they'll be in the remake. Just don't expect any improvements to them (and hopefully if they're using Platinum dex they remember to include the Platinum swarms since it's probably the only way to get some of those Pokemon).

I think it's probably likely we get Fairy typing and updated abilities, dunno about anything else.
Fairy-type: Hm, let's see, in the Platinum Dex the following Pokemon were made Fairy-type: Marill family, Mr. Mime family, Clefairy family, Ralts family, & Togepi family. Not a lot, though if the use Platinum's distribution they all should be easy enough to get (you're at least guaranteed to get a Togepi Egg, otherwise gotta use PokeRadar).

Abilities: I did a quick look through some Abilities released after Gen IV which could really give a Pokemon some new life... and discovered some problems. First, not that many Gen IV Pokemon got new Abilities. Second, those who did, got them as a Hidden Ability. Hidden Abilities are a Gen V introduced mechanic meaning Gen IV has nothing in it to help get Pokemon with them or unlock the Hidden Ability. So unless that changes we'd sadly not be able to terrorize Sinnoh with Moody Bidoof, Moxie Heracross/Gyarados, Prankster Riolu, and Regenerator Tangrowth.

Moves: Decided to look up some Moves that really change up the game (such as Shell Smash and Coil) though not any Gen IV Pokemon learn it. However Wormadam and Mothim both got Quiver Dance in Gen VI as an evolution move, so I guess that's something.

And who knows if they plan on bringing over any of the new items like Heavy-Duty Boots.

Feels like a big step back from ORAS... and Masuda being involved doesn't really makes me optimistic. I know he made DP, but you know... it's Masuda...
The Masuda who made Gen IV and especially made Gen V doesn't exist anymore. Sometime after Gen V something happened with him, either he for some reason changed his philosophy for the worse... or he's always been like this but the other staff members were always able to keep him in check for recent years he's been allowed off the chain. I have a feeling it might be the latter.

Is there any way that people can be actually satisfied?
Well obviously this isn't the way!

They look like LGPE. Everyone is mad about it at first, but tuned ou to be a huge success.
LGPE was more than just a 1:1 recreation of Gen I/Yellow. First off the art style, while stylized, still had the characters look anime-esque. Also them replacing Red & Blue with new characters and then revealing Red & Blue were still in the game but now NPC showed LGPE was willing to change up the lore which thus opened up possibilities for other changes/additions (notably seeing a young Archer).

In the end as stated multiple times, Sinnoh is the one remake they can't get right, no matter what they do.
Nah, I think you can do it right... but Masuda isn't the one to do it.

makes you wonder if there will be even the alternative forms like Giratina Origin in it, but I think that is the least of our problems.
If there's no additional stuff with Giratina they'd probably just toss the Griseous Orb somewhere in Turnback Cave.

- no forms introduced after DP meaning no origin forms, no rotom forms, no sky form for shamin, no megas, no regional variants
- perhaps the regis will be in the game, but knowing Masuda, he will let Regigigas awaken without the Regi-Trio as well
  • Griseous Orb can be thrown somewhere in Turnback Cave, they just need to include the appliance room in the Old Chateau for Rotom, & they just need to add the lady who gives you the Gracidea in Floaroma Town. As for Mega and Regional Variants, I wouldn't be surprised *sigh*.
  • Huh, right, didn't think about Regigigas. Well if they don't add the Regi Trio into the game maybe you'll need to "trick" Regigigas into waking up, like they'll have a set of Poke Dolls based on the Regi Trio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)