Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Speaking of the Link's Awakening comparison, I think it worked perfectly for that title not only because of how visually impressive the plastic-style looks, but it fits storywise as the island is one big dream so it looks different compared to the animated opening. That, and the game fully commits to this artstyle, unlike BDSP which switches to the 3d models during battles (mind, you, battles are what you're gonna be doing most of the playtime) and I don't like how they look either.

Another game I've seen getting compared to is Megaman Powered Up, a remake of Megaman 1 from the NES which also uses chibi style, it also fully commits to that style. The biggest selling point imo is the amount of new content: voice acting, an intro stage, the robot masters having more personality plus 2 new ones, being able to play as them plus Protoman and ROLL, difficulty settings, a classic mode that emulates the original game, etc. Comparing it to DP is a bit weird since Megaman 1 is a very short and simple game, which is why they had to add a good amount of new things to do to be a worthwhile experience, and we don't know exactly everything that the DP remakes are holding. Powered Up still flopped in sales despite all that I mentioned bc the chibi style alienated players and Megaman is nowhere near as popular as other franchises unfortunately, this isn't going to happen with Pokemon since it's way too big to fail.

The battles look rough though, Sirya hit the comparisons I had on the head earlier, the Switch has good looking games that have been developed for the console, with far more going on than pokemon does, so why does the static pokemon battle look so rough.
Wanna know why?

Still the horrible, archaic camera instead of a PBR-like dynamic one. That just murders the battle visuals and I'm 90% sure the mons aren't scaled properly. Again.

Wanna know why?

Still the horrible, archaic camera instead of a PBR-like dynamic one. That just murders the battle visuals and I'm 90% sure the mons aren't scaled properly. Again.
Well, with the characters being chibified, they might as well use the usual scale and it would be better than in most games :P

Wanna know why?

I had a more detailed response, but Irealized the battles look a hell of a lot like Let's Go P/E's battles:
Let's Go:

BDSP:
bsdp battle.png

looks pretty similar to me.

The style worked in Let's Go because the overworld and the battles had the same visual style, but BDSP switches from the chibi style to standard style and it feels empty. The battles are doing the same as they always have done, when they could be finding their own style to mesh better with the overworld look. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much a more dynamic camera would help, the current Pokémon graphical style still feels a little lacking to me. I may come to like the BDSP battle style more once I see more than wild encounters, but in my eyes this style lies on a knifes edge on whether it will work or not. Either way, the Switch has far more graphical power than Pokemon takes advantage of, and I would not mind the battles either taking advantage of this unused power to bump up the graphical fidelity, or do something interesting with the background (like a hand drawn style or something). There can still be 2 pokemon swaying in a static field, but give the background's their own style, we see the battles for like half of the game, so might as well make them more interesting.

The thing that struck me most about the battles when I saw the trailer wasn't necessary the visuals (which I'm fine with), but with how claustrophobic it felt. The player, their Pokémon and the opposing one are much closer together than it feels they should be; while the environment is also a lot more enclosed whether it's in a cave or on a route. I think they were trying to recreate how battles on the DS' small screen felt, but it doesn't feel right on the Switch and it feels far too misguided; all this achieves is making the whole thing feel cramped.

The style worked in Let's Go because the overworld and the battles had the same visual style, but BDSP switches from the chibi style to standard style and it feels empty.
Not really. Like, it's nice that there's consistency, but the impression the Chibi setting is supposed to convey is that you're seeing things scaled, but in reality, they're much grander. The full models complement that, what doesn't is...

The thing that struck me most about the battles when I saw the trailer wasn't necessary the visuals (which I'm fine with), but with how claustrophobic it felt. The player, their Pokémon and the opposing one are much closer together than it feels they should be; while the environment is also a lot more enclosed whether it's in a cave or on a route. I think they were trying to recreate how battles on the DS' small screen felt, but it doesn't feel right on the Switch and it feels far too misguided; all this achieves is making the whole thing feel cramped.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

This is where a dynamic camera would help. First, because let's be honest, the archaic style is just a disservice to everything. Second, because it would truly draw in the "scale" effect I was mentioning, especially if the transition was a zoom-in. I'm pretty sure a Fire Emblem game does that to great effect, I think it's Three Houses.

Between the squished point of view and the noticeable walls that aren't in the LGPE screenshot, everything really feels claustrophobic.

Speaking of things LGPE does better... what are those dirt textures? Matter of fact, it doesn't even look like both pics are on the same resolution here, but surprisingly, the BDSP screencap is the one at a higher resolution.

These textures look positively horrible.

Oh well, as long as the bones of the game are good, the rest can be modded.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'll proceed this by saying I decided to cool down my anger toward the DP remakes. Going to follow some advice Kurona gave on Page 7 and just assume "1:1 remake" is just jargon and what they actually mean is all the story elements are there but doesn't mean they didn't add some more stuff. Note I'm still going to be critical on the remakes, but I'm not going to hate on them without actual evidence for it. This will also let me join in the speculation which is one of my favorite things to do when a new game is coming out (don't worry mods, I won't wishlist). :blobthumbsup:

Which raises the question, where would TRs fit?
The Left Pokemart Cashier who in the original games only purpose was to sell the Mail (very likely not returning) and the special Poke Balls. Make them also sell TRs.

As for the currency, maybe they can bring Watts back and just have it be something you earn via catching Pokemon (10 x Level of Pokemon = Watts earned). While in the early game you wouldn't be getting that many Watts, late game you should start raking them in. And if you're short of cash, just buy stuff with Watts and sell them. But what would you do with all those extra Pokemon caught? Send them to Rowan who would give you Experience Candy depending on their level (20 & below is an XS, 21-30 is S, 31-40 is M, 41-50 is L, and 51+ is XL).

Speaking on Pokedexes, I wonder if there will be expansion? Since none of the Sinnoh Pokémon got evolutions, this leaves only Sylveon and Mr. Rime as the ones to add, though the latter is tied to a regional variant. I guess that brings up whether or not regional variants will be in the game.

(...)

And lastly, while not new Pokémon, I wonder if they will add the new Regis? It’s safe to assume that Regigigas will be available in these games, and the original Regis were obtainable in Platinum could also be obtained in locations which share the same locations in Galar.

And then there’s the mythical Pokémon. Manaphy was completely an add on for Ranger, but since that’s dead, I guess the best way is a free giveaway after a certain point like Virtual console Celebi. Same applies to Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus. This remake is the perfect opportunity to distribute the flute. Come on, let I happen.
They'd add Sylveon no doubt. As for Regional Variants, going to edge on the side of caution and say no. If they do it'll probably be similar what they did in Let's Go, there would be a trader for each specific regional variant of species in the Sinnoh Dex you can trade the normal version for its regional counterpart. So right now that would be: Raichu, Geodude, Ponyta, & Mr. Mime. Not too bad.

As for New Regis? Going to say no, infact I would be surprised if the original 3 Regi are in. I think they're just going to change the requirement for Regigigas where you got to get something representing the Regis (I'm thinking PokeDolls of them, or maybe idols of them you have to find around Sinnoh (that can be used as PokeDolls)).

As for Mythicals, honestly I'm going to wait until I hear the connectivity with HOME that BDSP & Legends because my thoughts will depend if you can transfer Pokemon back-and-forth or it's a one way transfer. But what I will say is that remember games are now including Mythicals in them so I think at the very least BDSP will have one Mythical normally catchable (would like it to be Darkrai, but Manaphy and Shaymin also have their claims; Arceus though is definitely going to be in Legends).

If you go by ORAS, that game was EXTREMELY faithful to RS if you looked at the same points the BDSP trailer had; and it still had most the Emerald content in some way. I think the most we should be worried for is Gym Leader/League teams.
If they have the Plat Dex they'll likely/hopefully use their Plat teams cause no reason not to.

But, please, include the Battleground...

The statues illusion of being both palkia and dialga only really worked in the game (mainly bc it was on a small screen and was a pretty small tile object lol), hence why the manga just decided that it was actually just a fusion of the lore. They probablu thought they wouldn't be able to replicate that on switch graphics so here we are
Though I wonder why they just didn't have the statue either be Dialga or Palkia depending on the version you're playing. I believe the sign says it's a statue of the mascot of the game you're playing (and in Platinum they had the sign torn off and an NPC which told you what both signs said).

Mega Charizard (sigh...) and Mega Lucario figurines tied to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will come some time soon.

It's too soon to presume anything, but maybe this means we'll get Mega Evolutions back in BDSP? (I do hope so, Megas are great). It's certainly a possibility.

If they do have Megas back in BDSP they better have Mega Sinnoh starters, Mega Empoleon, Infernape, and Torterra pleeeeaasse
VERY interesting... and somewhat confusing with Charizard (they have Garchomp; Gallade too but probably don't want another Fighting-type, Abomasnow is a bit random, and I don't think I need to say why they probably wouldn't pick Lopunny).

But, hey, I'll take a sign where I can get them. Indeed, Mega Sinnoh Starters please (and a batch of other Pokemon who could use a boost)! I may even buy the game...

To add in Megas, there would need to be some Story bending (like ORAS did) and the remakes already confirm that the Story is a 1:1 remake, so not happening.
I decided to follow Kurona's advice and just assume them saying "1:1 remake" is just jargon for the veteran fans. Going to take it to just mean "all the story point will be in the game" but the game isn't going to be restricted to just that. I know Masuda is in charge and he would totally do that, but I'm going to have a little hope the developers want to be a bit more ambitious and want to include more and push back against Masuda & GF telling them not to (because if they make a bad Pokemon games it's sadly going to be blamed on them and not Masuda, so they're going to have to defend themselves).

What were we talking about? Oh, right, how they're going to include Megas. How did they include Megas in LGPE? Oh, Blue just gives them to you after you got 7 Badges. Okay, so something like that. Wouldn't want it be that late, so I'm thinking after you cure the Psyducks of their headache and you get to Celestic Town they can have Cynthia go "hey, you're a trustworthy trainer, he's a Key Stone and Mega Stones for the Sinnoh Starters; BTW, the Key Stone can detect other Mega Stones so you should be able to find others now". And just in time, cause Team Galactic are causing trouble in the ruins so use them Mega Stones to defeat them.

I checked the Pokeshopper page and apparently this merchandise tie-in will also include Piplup, Darkrai, Cresselia and... Zygarde-Complete?????

If this actually means anything then I'm fascinated by that last one
Huh, not sure what Zygarde could mean. It's not connected to Mega Evolution. Let's put a pin on it for now.

No gimmicks meta lasted for all of One. Day. :psycry:

Really trying to be optimistic here but ffs, I just wanna battle without dealing with overly stupid shit in-game like "haha, Mega Lucario go brrrrrrrrrrrr" and Megas will also keep Competitive super degenerate.
Hmm, while they won't have Dyna/Gigantamax, maybe to replicate the feeling they can have Mega only last 3 turns? Sure don't get the HP buff or Max Moves, but the higher stats should make up for that (and they still wouldn't be able to hold anything but the Mega Stone so there's that too).

(Prepares now for everyone to start yelling and throwing bricks for me suggesting a "balance" fix that I obviously know little about)

Just trying to help! Also if 3 turns are too short could be extended (or maybe there's another way to limit it, like maybe need to first knock out a Pokemon to activate Mega like with Ash-Greninja).

So, what do you think the Pal Park will be replaced with?
Friend Safari? :blobshrug:

Maybe they have more direct Go interaction and just put Go Park there
That too.

How can you not love the artstyle with shit like this existing
Once I catch-up I have some new thoughts about the art style I want to say. All I'll say for now is that, if this is the art style they're choosing instead of what we were hoping for, they better make the most use out of it.

You're evil.
We are talking about Gengar here.

Don’t worry, it’s not like devs are incapable of making good online Pokémon anymore. In fact, just recently we got the PSS
*checks notes*
in... 2013
I laugh because otherwise I'd cry.

Could just be a beta. They’ve shown things that didn’t make it in the final version before, like Fairy Wind Gardevoir and Beast Ball Naganadel.
Wasn't there also something with Diancie of it using a move it couldn't learn?

What about the Pokétch in this game ?
Ooh, right, the Poketch. I think most of the app will be fine just being one screen, but let's look through them for any problems:
  • Digital Watch, Memo Pad, Pedometer, Pokemon List, Analog Watch, is technically fine... but loses its convenience factor.
  • Dowsing Machine I think would need to be reworked. It can STILL work with one screen, but be a bit annoying switching between screens.
  • Counter I think completely loses its use.

( *flings a cookie at Pikachu315111 *, don't worry i still love you)
*Munches on calm down cookie*

By emulating a Pokémon game you miss on certain experiences (and make others harder, such as wanting to take on the Battle Frontier). It might be the superior game, but emulated Platinum is not the better experience.
Why?

The problem is that Platinum cartridges are insanely expensive now and cost well over 100 dollars from the majority of sellers. Not many people are willing to invest that much money into a game, especially a game like Pokemon because while Platinum may be a great game, it is most definitely not worth paying over 100 dollars, in some cases 200 even, just to get a cartridge of it. And not everyone is willing to pay that much, and for kids, parents are not going to buy an old game for them because that notion is frowned upon unless you're a collector or a more serious video game enjoyer.
Yeah, I read that somewhere else, I think on the annoyance thread.

I'd like to apologize for suggesting anyone to buy a "cheap" DS and "cheap" copy of Platinum... because they don't exist! Cheapest DS is $150 and a Platinum cart is $100! Geez, talk about retaining your value... :blobastonished:

So with that said, yeah, if BDSP isn't good just emulate Platinum.

Of course, maybe they will also attack Dynamax lore to Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina in some way, if it's included in BDSP.
That's probably the easiest thing to do. After the incident in Sky Pillar where Cyrus almost recreates the universe have the entire Battle Zone become one big Power Spot.

If they expand the Sinnoh Dex like Platinum did that's already an unique experience.
Yes, but considering with what they did with previous remakes we should be expecting more content than what the original offered.

Uh. Then what is?
More than what GF is willing to put in, apparently.

Tl;dr just calm down Pikachu315111 everything's gonna be aight lol
I'm going to have faith that ILCA would want to make a game that, despite questionable decisions, will prove us critics wrong that it's a worthy remake of DP.

I've never seen someone get so worked up over the possibility that other people might buy a game that he's not personally very excited for.

Though I wonder why they just didn't have the statue either be Dialga or Palkia depending on the version you're playing. I believe the sign says it's a statue of the mascot of the game you're playing (and in Platinum they had the sign torn off and an NPC which told you what both signs said).
The manga reference was more liked and it'd keep some of the originals intent, maybe?

I do like the implications that the palkia and dialga mythos has slowly been merged into one mythological being, with traits combined from multiple sources with poor details. Its a very realistic thing to happen

I'm personally worried about the remakes because of one main reason: the battling experience looks like its going to feel more or less the same.

FRLG added abilities and actual proper mechanics, completely abandoning the old janky shit. Even if it didnt, adding 7 sevi islands, actual viewable graphics and being the first ever remake made the experience nostalgic yet fresh.

HGSS, in particular due to loads of mechanic shifts, made using so many old pokemon feel different. Feraligatr and gyarados are now rocking with physical waterfalls, scyther, gengar, heracross and pinsir can actually use stabs, the elemental punch wielders like alakazam are now using different coverage moves like focus blast.

ORAS didnt fail in this department either, this time adding mega evolutions to the mix. With all three starters feeling remixed and new this time, the battling experience felt like using new mons again.

But what does sinnoh really have to update? Physical, special split is in, abilities are added, the mechanics are already modern. Just speaking about the three starters, there were no noticeable improvement made between the gens for all of torterra, infernape and empoleon. This isnt limited to the new starters either, starapator, ramparados, garchomp, gyarados, alakazam, gengar, froslass, magmortar, gallade, rotom, magnezone, abomasnow, drapion, toxicroak and so on function the same...Even mons that seem improved like weavile and mamoswine are a shaky bet due to their icicle crashes being egg moves and the former's knock off being useless in game. You dont even have the luxury of cross evolutions like the other remakes since sylveon is the sole cross evo in the sinnoh dex. Assuming i run a relatively standard in game team like infernape, floatzel, roserade, staraptor, luxray and garchomp, the only change would be luxray getting wild charge and roserade being able to use a strong grass tab.

I honestly hope megas or new forms are in, i certainly dont want to play the entirely same game but with boring 3d models.

Last edited:
But what does sinnoh really have to update? Physical, special split is in, abilities are added, the mechanics are already modern. Just speaking about the three starters, there were no noticeable improvement made between the gens for all of torterra, infernape and empoleon. This isnt limited to the new starters either, starapator, ramparados, garchomp, gyarados, alakazam, gengar, froslass, magmortar, gallade, rotom, magnezone, abomasnow, drapion, toxicroak and so on function the same...Even mons that seem improved like weavile and mamoswine are a shaky bet due to their icicle crashes being egg moves and the former's knock off being useless in game. You dont even have the luxury of cross evolutions like the other remakes since sylveon is the sole cross evo in the sinnoh dex. Assuming i run a relatively standard in game team like infernape, floatzel, roserade, staraptor, luxray and garchomp, the only change would be luxray getting wild charge and roserade being able to use a strong grass tab.
Fairy type?

Updated movesets and typings on their own can change a lot of things.

Expecially movesets. In the last handful games, GF has actually done a lot of moveset rebalancing for Pokemon to make their level up moveset less disastrous.
Now, I didn't quite play DPP, but I wouldn't be surprised if several Pokemon would benefit from it from casual standpoint, as in, making using them during a regular gameplay funnier / less of a tragedy.

Updated movesets and typings on their own can change a lot of things.

Expecially movesets. In the last handful games, GF has actually done a lot of moveset rebalancing for Pokemon to make their level up moveset less disastrous.
Now, I didn't quite play DPP, but I wouldn't be surprised if several Pokemon would benefit from it from casual standpoint, as in, making using them during a regular gameplay funnier / less of a tragedy.
Unlike the other remakes, dpp is one of the more modern games when things are no longer having moveset issues. Fairy type is one thing i admit though there is no dark e4, maylene has lucario as the ace and the only fairy types that can stand against chomp are azumarill and togekiss. The only improvements i can see are
(1) Luxray getting wild charge assuming the tm isnt late game
(2) beautifly and wormadam getting quiver dance
(3) certain grass types having giga drain.
(4) flareon getting flare blitz?

Lets compare it to oras
(1) all three starters get megas
(2) you can use latis and megas
(3) all cross evolutions
(4) beautifly, masquerain getting quiver dance
(5) manectric, glalie, garde, mawile, sableye, aggron etc all having megas
(6) all grass types getting better due to energy ball
(7) physical special split improving breloom, crawdaunt, masqueraun, beautifly, seaking, gyarados, crawdaunt, sharpedo, flygon, solrock, lunatone...
(8) loads of good moves now like stone edge and x scissor
(9) personal big improvements like boomburst exploud, crunch mightyena, stab possessing mawile, heracross, pinsir...i'm not going to bother anymore.
Of course stuff like drain punch tm and a couple or two earlier move learning will make some things marginally better but is that really worth calling an update when compared to previous remakes?

Last edited:
Don't forget the nerf on Steel type, and new Fairy type / Boost Poison type, but yeah, DPPt is the first "real" modern game.
And the small buff on movetype / new abilities yeah but the game needs Dynamax/Mega/Zmoves etc...

DPPt is where a huge amount of moves were increased to 'balance' the types by giving everything some kind of decent basic attack -- Iron Head, Energy Ball, Cross Poison, Bug Buzz etc. I'm sure you also all remember Brave Bird Close Combat Staraptor.

There's some obvious omissions that have been made fun of for years - Flare Blitz Flareon - but on the whole there's very few Pokémon in Sinnoh that have movepool issues. It'll definitely be different but really really not that much compared to the Gen 1-3 remasters.

Ponyta will be more viable tho not by much. Dark and Ghost moves can now hurt the Bronzong but I don't recall from the top of my head primary Dark or Ghost Type moves users in DP that could accomplish a feat so you don't rely on the only 2 Fire types early on.

If the platinum dex is in I can think of at least one Pokemon line that will be massively improved by an updated learnset and its not because of the moves involved

contrast with

EVERY eeveelution was like this.
I actually do think there's some other Pokemon in a similar boat in terms of the moves they have and when they learn them but none more so than the eevees.

Incidentally it would be nice if Yanmega had an opportunity to get an overhaul because it's still rocking the same exact moveset it's had since Diamond & Pearl aka "its good moves are the last 3 it learns at 49, 54 & 57" (gen 6 "fixed" this with making the good moves learnable by move reminder but....)

I do like the implications that the palkia and dialga mythos has slowly been merged into one mythological being, with traits combined from multiple sources with poor details. Its a very realistic thing to happen
This happens in Sword/Shield with Zacian, Zamazenta, and the two brothers being conflated as a single hero with a sword and shield. It's even a statue too.

Last edited:
If the platinum dex is in I can think of at least one Pokemon line that will be massively improved by an updated learnset and its not because of the moves involved

contrast with

EVERY eeveelution was like this.
I actually do think there's some other Pokemon in a similar boat in terms of the moves they have and when they learn them but none more so than the eevees.

Incidentally it would be nice if Yanmega had an opportunity to get an overhaul because it's still rocking the same exact moveset it's had since Diamond & Pearl aka "its good moves are the last 3 it learns at 49, 54 & 57" (gen 6 "fixed" this with making the good moves learnable by move reminder but....)
Come to think of it, that whole "relearn moves for free at any pokemon center" thing should be really good if it's in. Then again, ORAS didn't merge centers and marts, so... who knows.

I'm personally worried about the remakes because of one main reason: the battling experience looks like its going to feel more or less the same.
Some times I get the feeling that a lot of people haven't played the originals in a while and definitely not without a speed boosting emulator.

In terms of battling, take a look at every single move between Gen 5 and Gen 8. There's a lot of stuff here, it's not just "Fairy-Type + Steel nerfs." Also, new items.

The biggest thing this remake will add is the QoL stuff. Portable PC, Reusable TMs, relaunching on a console that can actually be plugged in a TV so you can experience Sinnoh in a big screen with good graphics and much, much faster engine, breeding improvements, potentially Exp. Candies and an Exp. All that can be turned off...

Gen 4 was the first true "modern" game, sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have improvements to be done, it just doesn't have a ton of them like the "archaic" games.

The manga reference was more liked and it'd keep some of the originals intent, maybe?

Kinda like what happened with the Darkest Day myth in Sword and Shield?

Some times I get the feeling that a lot of people haven't played the originals in a while and definitely not without a speed boosting emulator.

In terms of battling, take a look at every single move between Gen 5 and Gen 8. There's a lot of stuff here, it's not just "Fairy-Type + Steel nerfs." Also, new items.

The biggest thing this remake will add is the QoL stuff. Portable PC, Reusable TMs, relaunching on a console that can actually be plugged in a TV so you can experience Sinnoh in a big screen with good graphics and much, much faster engine, breeding improvements, potentially Exp. Candies and an Exp. All that can be turned off...

Gen 4 was the first true "modern" game, sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have improvements to be done, it just doesn't have a ton of them like the "archaic" games.
As i mentioned in the post, i didnt say a thing about overworld experience; i was mainly referring to the battling experience. You can think about all the new moves but what moves are actually impactful in game? Kricketune gets sticky web but is it actually useful in game? How useful is staraptor's defog when hazards are never seen? Luxray gets wild charge but when is the tm available? Mamoswine gets icicle crash but what are the chances it learns it naturally? What proof do u actually have that a lot of mons function differently unlike the other remakes? I mean platinum is among my top 3 games but i honestly cannot be hopeful about the battling stuff without proper confirmation of new things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)