Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

As i mentioned in the post, i didnt say a thing about overworld experience; i was mainly referring to the battling experience. You can think about all the new moves but what moves are actually impactful in game? Kricketune gets sticky web but is it actually useful in game? How useful is staraptor's defog when hazards are never seen? Luxray gets wild charge but when is the tm available? Mamoswine gets icicle crash but what are the chances it learns it naturally? What proof do u actually have that a lot of mons function differently unlike the other remakes? I mean platinum is among my top 3 games but i honestly cannot be hopeful about the battling stuff without proper confirmation of new things.
We have precisely one minute of footage available. No one here can confirm anything, lmao.

The point was, regardless of anything, DP wouldn't have too many battling modernizations like the other remakes because it was the game that modernized the battling system to begin with.

Like honestly, what did you expect?

In reading this, I do think they will find a way to "modernize", or at least differentiate these games from DPP. One obvious way is to re-introduce Megas, which is my personal hope, but I would not be surprised if they decided to keep Dynamax. Though they do have a LOT of interesting potential for Megas and Gigantamax, definitely with the starters. I also remember reading somewhere else that they should balance Megas by making them last shorter amounts of time, which I personally disagree with entirely. Another way they could differentiate is through Z-Moves, but I honestly don't think that those are coming back.

In reading this, I do think they will find a way to "modernize", or at least differentiate these games from DPP. One obvious way is to re-introduce Megas, which is my personal hope, but I would not be surprised if they decided to keep Dynamax. Though they do have a LOT of interesting potential for Megas and Gigantamax, definitely with the starters. I also remember reading somewhere else that they should balance Megas by making them last shorter amounts of time, which I personally disagree with entirely. Another way they could differentiate is through Z-Moves, but I honestly don't think that those are coming back.
Exactly my point, i loved the sinnoh games so much that i want them to at least be as good as the other remakes, not just some carbon copy of the original games especially with the chibi ds style confirmed. Maybe its just me but i honestly would like a really polished and new experience but outsourcing it to a second company, thus potential ruling out new megas just didnt click right to me. Sorry if i was being toxic, it all routes from my desire for BSDP to not be inferior to every single remake out there. Higher speed is good and all but i'd rather just play random hacks like renegade platinum with only QOL changes.

Ps: im fking drunk, excuse me if my words dont make any sense

2 Things -
Exactly my point, i loved these games so much that i want them to at least be as good as the other remakes, not just some carbon copy of the original games especially with the chibi ds style confirmed. Maybe its just me but i honestly would like a really polished and new experience but outsourcing it to a second company, thus potential ruling out new megas just didnt click right to me. Sorry if i was being toxic, it all routes from my desire for BSDP to not be inferior to every single remake out there. Higher speed is good and all but i'd rather just play random hacks like renegade platinum with only QOL changes.
And I myself, not having ever played the originals, still hope that these are good remakes. Another thing to note is outsourcing. Depending on the company, that could either make it much better or much worse. I do think that they will get some creative freedoms, giving us the chance for new Megas, but idk.

Like, actually drunk?

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Exactly my point, i loved the sinnoh games so much that i want them to at least be as good as the other remakes, not just some carbon copy of the original games especially with the chibi ds style confirmed. Maybe its just me but i honestly would like a really polished and new experience but outsourcing it to a second company, thus potential ruling out new megas just didnt click right to me. Sorry if i was being toxic, it all routes from my desire for BSDP to not be inferior to every single remake out there. Higher speed is good and all but i'd rather just play random hacks like renegade platinum with only QOL changes.

I imagine these games are going to be more about refinement than innovation. The original Sinnoh games are good, but there's a lot of little improvements to be made that would compound to make the remakes a much better experience. If I'm no longer able to find the woman of my dreams and start a beautiful family in the time it takes for a Blissey's health bar to go halfway down, that's already a great start.

I really hope Platinum content is in the game, because that would mean that Cynthia still hands you a Togepi; whose final form's typing has since been changed to hard counter Cynthia's own main Pokémon
Gyarados is the Garchomp counter. Between setting up early on Cynthia's offensive Spirtomb with Dragon Dance, having Intimidate and Ice moves, and being immune Earthquake and resisting Flamethrower and Brick Break can turn her into a joke. Special mention to chain Intimidate switching thanks to Shinx having it at stage 1 alongside Staravia means you can lower attack constantly to any boss. It's how I beat Mars at Valley Windworks easily.

The Mind Electric

Gyarados is the Garchomp counter. Between setting up early on Cynthia's offensive Spirtomb with Dragon Dance, having Intimidate and Ice moves, and being immune Earthquake and resisting Flamethrower and Brick Break can turn her into a joke. Special mention to chain Intimidate switching thanks to Shinx having it at stage 1 alongside Staravia means you can lower attack constantly to any boss. It's how I beat Mars at Valley Windworks easily.
That's actually like, the one thing her Platinum team doesn't have a strong counter for. Her team has no Electric moves, and her Lucario has Stone Miss the first time but loses it in the rematch after Stark Mountain. I won't be surprised if one of her Pokémon has Stone Miss as a permanent addition in the remakes.

Cynthia has the potential to be way scarier in the remakes. Serene Grace Togekiss with Fairy moves on top, Garchomp with better moves, and Roserade actually doing something with the addition of Fairy types. The question is if the developers will allow her to reach that potential.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So I was in the middle of rewatching Kilian Experience's "Garbage guide to Pokemon Platinum" and when I saw him go to Oreburgh I had an epic neuron activation moment

C342F4D8-BE3F-48E5-A562-9F036E9ED65F.jpeg

The conveyer belts in DP. As static and empty in gameplay as they are in this image.

1BA6D56F-FA15-4649-9D25-3AF91CCB0FDB.jpeg

Here they are in Platinum, now loaded with coal and moving.

And finally...
290EC264-16D1-4196-B41B-AAD61A2419B5.jpeg

The BDSP trailer, and waddya know, we got the coal in there! This is the third Platinum thingy included thus far in just the reveal trailer! I reckon we're in good hands.

The Mind Electric

So I was in the middle of rewatching Kilian Experience's "Garbage guide to Pokemon Platinum" and when I saw him go to Oreburgh I had an epic neuron activation moment

View attachment 320379
The conveyer belts in DP. As static and empty in gameplay as they are in this image.

View attachment 320381
Here they are in Platinum, now loaded with coal and moving.

And finally...
View attachment 320380
The BDSP trailer, and waddya know, we got the coal in there! This is the third Platinum thingy included thus far in just the reveal trailer! I reckon we're in good hands.
I'm also fairly certain that we're getting at least the most important Platinum improvements because they would have to be bafflingly stupid to not add things like the extended Dex, but this feels like a stretch. Unbelievably minor graphical details say nothing about the gameplay stuff people are worried about.

I'm also fairly certain that we're getting at least the most important Platinum improvements because they would have to be bafflingly stupid to not add things like the extended Dex, but this feels like a stretch. Unbelievably minor graphical details say nothing about the gameplay stuff people are worried about.
"unbelievably minor graphical details" that show attention to details give much more hope than you think, specifically because they are so minor that they could very well not have wasted their time on them at all, and if they "wasted time" on minor graphical details, solid chance they also wasted time on more important things.

That's actually like, the one thing her Platinum team doesn't have a strong counter for. Her team has no Electric moves, and her Lucario has Stone Miss the first time but loses it in the rematch after Stark Mountain. I won't be surprised if one of her Pokémon has Stone Miss as a permanent addition in the remakes.

Cynthia has the potential to be way scarier in the remakes. Serene Grace Togekiss with Fairy moves on top, Garchomp with better moves, and Roserade actually doing something with the addition of Fairy types. The question is if the developers will allow her to reach that potential.
Since a man can dream... *disclaimer*: it will never be like this.

Competitive Milotic is a thing. If it's somewhat decent in terms of IV/EV distribution, it may also live Luxray's attack if you're underleveled/uninvested.
Imagine you switch Luxray to OHKO it...it lives. Competitive triggers. Milotic used Scale Shot. Damn. Ice Beam+Scald/Surf+Dragon Pulse at +2 is actually enough to make you shiver, and +1 Speed Milotic is going to outspeed a lot of non-optimized Pokemon.

In order for this to not be a completely hyphotesis post, I do wonder if outsourcing the games may lead to a different approach to boss battling. Like, with Masuda involved and his archaic mindset it's far more likely that little will be changed, but another company may wonder...should battles be a cakewalk with 1/2 per game being hard or the opposite?

It may be interesting to see what kind of input GF and TPC may allow the developer to have, or if they keep a short leash. Going by the consolidated data, we shouldn't dare to dream. On the other side, given we are in unexplored waters, speculation is allowed to run a little wilder, I guess.

"unbelievably minor graphical details" that show attention to details give much more hope than you think, specifically because they are so minor that they could very well not have wasted their time on them at all, and if they "wasted time" on minor graphical details, solid chance they also wasted time on more important things.
It's also pretty fascinating to me as these remakes clearly based their visuals on DP's version of Sinnoh -- not only do we have Dawn and Lucas's DP designs (side note; I think it'd be really cool if you were given the option to switch to Platinum designs just before going to Snowpoint or something), but also we've seen areas like Twinleaf Town not having the snow it does in Platinum. But here, where you could argue something is a straight-up graphical improvement rather than a stylistic choice, it's done. I hope I'm not looking into this too much but it gives me hope that that's what I can expect from how they pick and choose DP and Platinum elements to adapt -- stylistic choices from DP, outright improvements from Platinum.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This exactly. While I really like the idea of being able to play Diamond and Pearl modernized, with their technical issues ironed out, I'm not sure if it would sell copies by itself to have a game that's "just" Diamond and Pearl modernized. The games would have to have something to differentiate themselves from just booting up the old game on your DS (or an emulator). Something to make the games more than just shined-up DP. There should be something new, that wasn't there earlier.

LGPE did not have much (I remember waiting the entire pre-release period for them to reveal what was the game's actual selling point and they just never did), but even it had Alolan forms and Mega Evolution, plus a handful of entirely new moves. It had some content that couldn't be found in the originals. And of course, all the other remakes had even more.

Plus, consider marketing. They can't generate much Internet buzz if all they do is confirming the existence of features we already know to be in Sinnoh. Of course, they could squeeze a trailer out of the new way the Underground is implemented, and possibly Super Contests, but you don't really generate hype for a remake solely by confirming that things weren't removed from the original. That wouldn't raise any expectations beyond what people had when they learned the originals were being remade. There needs to be something that tells them the games are worth buying, even if they have played the originals.

It all makes me think they have something up their sleeve. The return of Mega Evolution seems plausible, and if that happens, I think even an expansion could be feasible. The following Pokémon in the Sinnoh Pokédex are currently capable of Mega Evolution:
  • Alakazam
  • Gyarados
  • Steelix
  • Heracross
  • Lopunny
  • Gengar
  • Medicham
  • Garchomp
  • Lucario
  • Abomasnow
Adding Platinum gives:
  • Gardevoir
  • Gallade
  • Altaria
  • Houndoom
  • Scizor
  • Absol
Granted, this is 16 Mega Evolutions in total and LGPE had only 15. However, that was also among a much smaller overall population of Pokémon. Also, the current pool of Megas notably excludes Sinnoh's starters and legendaries while only containing five Gen IV Pokémon (of which one evolves from a Pokémon from another region). If Mega Evolution were introduced to Sinnoh, I think it would be plausible to expand the pool a little.

There could also plausibly exist some Sinnohan Forms and/or evolutions (and honestly, I'd love to see some latter-gen Pokémon reimagined in the design style of Sinnoh!). Or new forms of the cover legendaries, lesser legendaries, or Rotom. Whatever additions they bring is likely to manifest as new Pokémon to use in battle, at any rate. Every new main series Pokémon game since Ruby and Sapphire has, to some extent, added entirely new Pokémon or new forms, and I don't expect these to be the games that break that tradition.

All in all: there will probably be something.

If Mega Evolution were introduced to Sinnoh, I think it would be plausible to expand the pool a little.

There could also plausibly exist some Sinnohan Forms and/or evolutions (and honestly, I'd love to see some latter-gen Pokémon reimagined in the design style of Sinnoh!)
Speaking of this, does anyone know a thread or someplace I could see fan-art for their own Megas?
More on topic though, I do think that if they are putting Megas in the game, they are going to make new megas, and I would also love to see some Sinnohian forms, although I think that is pretty unlikely. Still something they could do, and I would love it if they did as well!
Edit: Any idea what mons you think should have a form added?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of this, does anyone know a thread or someplace I could see fan-art for their own Megas?
DeviantArt, I guess. Or just Google "Mega [any Pokémon]", the Internet is full of fan art.

Edit: Any idea what mons you think should have a form added?
That'd be wishlisting, which is generally frowned upon. But I think it'd be reasonable to expect that if Megas are in the game and if they make new ones, the starters would be first in line.

This exactly. While I really like the idea of being able to play Diamond and Pearl modernized, with their technical issues ironed out, I'm not sure if it would sell copies by itself to have a game that's "just" Diamond and Pearl modernized. The games would have to have something to differentiate themselves from just booting up the old game on your DS (or an emulator). Something to make the games more than just shined-up DP. There should be something new, that wasn't there earlier.

LGPE did not have much (I remember waiting the entire pre-release period for them to reveal what was the game's actual selling point and they just never did), but even it had Alolan forms and Mega Evolution, plus a handful of entirely new moves. It had some content that couldn't be found in the originals. And of course, all the other remakes had even more.

Plus, consider marketing. They can't generate much Internet buzz if all they do is confirming the existence of features we already know to be in Sinnoh. Of course, they could squeeze a trailer out of the new way the Underground is implemented, and possibly Super Contests, but you don't really generate hype for a remake solely by confirming that things weren't removed from the original. That wouldn't raise any expectations beyond what people had when they learned the originals were being remade. There needs to be something that tells them the games are worth buying, even if they have played the originals.

It all makes me think they have something up their sleeve. The return of Mega Evolution seems plausible, and if that happens, I think even an expansion could be feasible. The following Pokémon in the Sinnoh Pokédex are currently capable of Mega Evolution:
  • Alakazam
  • Gyarados
  • Steelix
  • Heracross
  • Lopunny
  • Gengar
  • Medicham
  • Garchomp
  • Lucario
  • Abomasnow
Adding Platinum gives:
  • Gardevoir
  • Gallade
  • Altaria
  • Houndoom
  • Scizor
  • Absol
Granted, this is 16 Mega Evolutions in total and LGPE had only 15. However, that was also among a much smaller overall population of Pokémon. Also, the current pool of Megas notably excludes Sinnoh's starters and legendaries while only containing five Gen IV Pokémon (of which one evolves from a Pokémon from another region). If Mega Evolution were introduced to Sinnoh, I think it would be plausible to expand the pool a little.

There could also plausibly exist some Sinnohan Forms and/or evolutions (and honestly, I'd love to see some latter-gen Pokémon reimagined in the design style of Sinnoh!). Or new forms of the cover legendaries, lesser legendaries, or Rotom. Whatever additions they bring is likely to manifest as new Pokémon to use in battle, at any rate. Every new main series Pokémon game since Ruby and Sapphire has, to some extent, added entirely new Pokémon or new forms, and I don't expect these to be the games that break that tradition.

All in all: there will probably be something.
I entirely forgot about regional forms and that LGPE found a way to squeeze them in! So going off that Mega list, the Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex that have regional forms are...

• Raichu
  • Geodude
  • Ponyta
  • Mr. Mime

(no other through the Platinum dex)

Not a lot, but I could see them doing a similar in-game trade thing to LGPE to grant you access to those. I think that alone would be pretty interesting; Sinnoh doesn't have an Ice/Psychic type, and of course these are the only Electric/Psychic and Rock/Electric types in existence. If they do this they'd also add Mr. Ryme to the Pokédex for a total of 212, and it's kinda funny to think of Mr. Ryme and Sylveon being the only additions to the Pokédex. Fun fact, this puts it a single Pokémon over ORAS' dex!

Aaaand just for the sake of completionism, all the Pokémon that have had their types changed to Fairy in the Sinnoh dex:-

• Clefairy
  • Mr. Mime
  • Marill
  • Togepi (platinum addition)
  • Ralts (platinum addition)
  • (Sylveon) (platinum addition)

Last edited:
If we're assuming Sylveon to be availible, how do we think we are going to be able to raise Affection? I don't have what I would consider a great answer, but then I haven't been a fan of that mechanic in any of its previous forms.

If we're assuming Sylveon to be availible, how do we think we are going to be able to raise Affection? I don't have what I would consider a great answer, but then I haven't been a fan of that mechanic in any of its previous forms.
They changed the evolution method in Gen 8 for it being Eevee to have high friendship while knowing a Fairy type move to evolve it into Sylveon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)