Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

So I was in the middle of rewatching Kilian Experience's "Garbage guide to Pokemon Platinum" and when I saw him go to Oreburgh I had an epic neuron activation moment

View attachment 320379
The conveyer belts in DP. As static and empty in gameplay as they are in this image.

View attachment 320381
Here they are in Platinum, now loaded with coal and moving.

And finally...
View attachment 320380
The BDSP trailer, and waddya know, we got the coal in there! This is the third Platinum thingy included thus far in just the reveal trailer! I reckon we're in good hands.
I think you're overanalyzing this a bit, out of anything the inclusion of porygon-Z in the reveal trailer is moreso the main clue to getting plat improvements.
Also I really hope drampa is banned from the sinnoh region. It has no reason to exist.

I do think that if Megas are re-introduced, the starter's are going to be the first ones to get one. Also sorry for wishlisting, I worded it badly, but what do you people think is likely to be Mega'd or something like that? I think that Staraptor is a pretty obvious choice for them, so I think that that will be one of them if Megas are back. It seems to be one that they would give a mega, with Pidgeot getting a mega and Staraptor being pretty loved. If they do end up catering to the fans, another one that seems likely is Gliscor, but I have no idea.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I do think that if Megas are re-introduced, the starter's are going to be the first ones to get one. Also sorry for wishlisting, I worded it badly, but what do you people think is likely to be Mega'd or something like that? I think that Staraptor is a pretty obvious choice for them, so I think that that will be one of them if Megas are back. It seems to be one that they would give a mega, with Pidgeot getting a mega and Staraptor being pretty loved. If they do end up catering to the fans, another one that seems likely is Gliscor, but I have no idea.
Staraptor and Luxray seem like the most likely candidates, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see something like Togekiss or Roserade.

Staraptor and Luxray seem like the most likely candidates, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see something like Togekiss or Roserade.
I do like the idea of Mega Luxray, and it does seem like something they would add as one due to how they might also be reworking the moves it learns and everything. Mega Togekiss does also seem pretty likely, with Togepi being a more special Pokemon. Mega Roserade also seem cool and somewhat likely, but probably the least likely. i have no idea though.

but you don't really generate hype for a remake solely by confirming that things weren't removed from the original.
That's they key thing: they do.

First things first. I'm pretty sure they will introduce something different from the originals. But don't less this distract you from the fact that they can sold this games solely based on nostalgia. Now for the reasons:

This days, marketing is based on influencers. There's a mafia of YouTubers and similars that will defend everything Game Freak does because they need the income. Their channels depend of this franchise, and so does their public. In people loses interest in Pokémon, or to be more specific, on a certain Pokémon release, they lose viewership and they need to make material related to those games. Thats why dozens of YouTubers defended Sword and Shield trailer with 1998 animations.

Second reason, every year, less and less people have the knowledge to know what we should expect from a remake or a Pokémon Game. Diamond and Pearl are from 2006/2007. For you to have any clear judgement about how the games actually were, without being blinded by nostalgia, you had to have a certain age the first time you played the games. Most people that started Pokémon on 1st and 2nd Generation don't play anymore, which means not everyone is aware of the fact that past remakes introduced a ton of content that wasn't in the originals. And YouTubers and other influencers don't help with this, all they say is "THEY WANT TO BE FAITHFUL TO THE ORIGINALS!!!1111".

The criteria of people has decayed so much, and a great majority is so conformist, that they just need the remakes existing. Nothing more. There you have, Diamond and Pearl remakes. Nothing matters apart from that. The remakes exists. They were waiting for the remakes. That's all. Now for the actual content, that's something you and me, amongst other 30 individuals in forums care for.

How many times have you already read comments like "weren't you waiting for the remakes!? there u have it! Game Freak does what you want and u are still pissed?" Welp, that in itself reflects the entire situation.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's also pretty fascinating to me as these remakes clearly based their visuals on DP's version of Sinnoh -- not only do we have Dawn and Lucas's DP designs (side note; I think it'd be really cool if you were given the option to switch to Platinum designs just before going to Snowpoint or something), but also we've seen areas like Twinleaf Town not having the snow it does in Platinum. But here, where you could argue something is a straight-up graphical improvement rather than a stylistic choice, it's done. I hope I'm not looking into this too much but it gives me hope that that's what I can expect from how they pick and choose DP and Platinum elements to adapt -- stylistic choices from DP, outright improvements from Platinum.
It's worth noting we have proof in the trailer that the maps are not finalized: During the shot of Snowpoint we see the youngster model in front of the boat to the Battle Zone, which could indicate certain trainer models (in this case the Sailor) are not yet complete. Something like the snow patches at Twinleaf/Lake Acuity could very well be super small details reserved for towards the end of development. Nonetheless I like your little theory!

It's worth noting we have proof in the trailer that the maps are not finalized: During the shot of Snowpoint we see the youngster model in front of the boat to the Battle Zone, which could indicate certain trainer models (in this case the Sailor) are not yet complete. Something like the snow patches at Twinleaf/Lake Acuity could very well be super small details reserved for towards the end of development. Nonetheless I like your little theory!
Hmm... I personally doubt that a little bit though, because they showed very small snippets of Sinnoh through the trailer; like 5 towns at most? All on the west side funnily enough. So I think they'd have shown off the most complete areas, and they just replaced that sailor with a kid in the final game. At the very least I think something like Twinleaf's finalised design would be represented for the trailer.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Honestly from the small amount of info we have, we could assume these games to be DP but with a dex distribution that isn't horrible and an actually playable game speed. So like worst case scenario it's still very likely to be an objectivelly better version of DP, which to me sounds pretty fine. People were already praising the OG DP even tho the game's playability was awful, so a version of DP that's actually not awful to play should by all accounts be good.

Hmm... I personally doubt that a little bit though, because they showed very small snippets of Sinnoh through the trailer; like 5 towns at most? All on the west side funnily enough. So I think they'd have shown off the most complete areas, and they just replaced that sailor with a kid in the final game. At the very least I think something like Twinleaf's finalised design would be represented for the trailer.
Agreed. Even if they do make some overworld changes from Platinum (like the Oreburgh mine conveyor belt), I don't think the snow from Platinum will be present in Twinleaf etc seeing as Dawn and Lucas have been shown with their Diamond/Pearl outfit rather than their more cold weather appropriate Platinum fit.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know while I've seen quite a few initial complaints about this, upon further inflection I think I can understand why they seemingly aren't doing character redesigns this time around.

The thing is, for the first 3 generations Game Freak never managed to quite nail down a standardized art direction for their characters and Pokemon. Namely in regards to the NPCs, for the first 2 gens we got various snippets from Sugimori while Gen 3 was kind of a halfway point

Red Blue Misty.png
Gold Silver Morty.png

Another thing to note is that due to their hardware designs from this era were overall simpler so they could be more or less realized properly on their respective eras' Game Boy models. It wasn't until Gen 4 we got the "template" that is still in use for NPC art today with idol pose, fairly light shading, etc.:
Diamond Pearl Cynthia.png

Of course the alternative is that I'm once again way overthinking this and ILCA just didn't think redesigns were necessary or important.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Agreed. Even if they do make some overworld changes from Platinum (like the Oreburgh mine conveyor belt), I don't think the snow from Platinum will be present in Twinleaf etc seeing as Dawn and Lucas have been shown with their Diamond/Pearl outfit rather than their more cold weather appropriate Platinum fit.
I also think Platinum's slightly more snowy setting was mostly used to distinguish it visually from DP. Now that this isn't an issue (rather the opposite, really), there's not a reason for the snow to return. We can have "vanilla" Sinnoh as far as the climate goes.

The snowy additions in Platinum always felt kind of...halfassed, really. It was basically just twinleaf town, its near by lake, and route 201 & 202 specifically.

Platinum's bigger visual additions were the decision to update the tree and brick tiles. Hearthome's probably the most notable example

as opposed to DP's

But a lot of tiles would need to be updated anyway for a remake so....

Never having played SWSH or the original games myself, I don't know if they had a form of seasons, but I have seen pictures with DPP having seasons. I do think that will happen if it was in the original, and I think that would be very interesting.

Only the fifth generation games have seasons.
I think there is a chance that they do introduce seasons for these, with Legends Arceus looking like a much longer game, they might add seasons in that. Speaking of Legends Arceus, is this a place to discuss that? It is only DP remakes in the title after all.

I think there is a chance that they do introduce seasons for these, with Legends Arceus looking like a much longer game, they might add seasons in that. Speaking of Legends Arceus, is this a place to discuss that? It is only DP remakes in the title after all.
Although it would be interesting, I would be shocked if they added seasons to the DP remakes. There isn't any mechanics within the original game that would make seasons present for anything besides aesthetics. Plus the game kind of has "seasonal" routes built in that kind of cover this(floroma town=spring, route 220/sunyshore=summer, route 217/snowpoint city=winter, etc). I think there would be a lot of things they'd have to change, like pokemon encounter tables for different seasons as well as redesign every area that would be effected by the seasonal changes. Based off of what we've seen, I don't think they're going to make many changes at all from the originals, much less something that drastic. I'm sure seasons will be present in the impending 2026 BW remakes though lol

Mr.Creep69

Banned deucer.
im not sure what to think of this honestly. like what are they gonna do? just make the story and stuff the same then make it 3D or what because honestly im not much of a fan of the 3D pokemon

im not sure what to think of this honestly. like what are they gonna do? just make the story and stuff the same then make it 3D or what because honestly im not much of a fan of the 3D pokemon
I myself think that they are going to add something special, whether it be re-adding megas or keeping dynamax, I do think that they will add something to make people want it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)