Pokemon: Detective Pikachu ( Movie )Discussion Thread

Haven't seen a thread on this, so let's go! ( No pun intended. )

The first trailer for the first-live action Pokemon movie, Detective Pikachu has been revealed:

Thoughts:

1. Wow, the Pokemon look weird. I guess its because the medium is live- action and we're used to Pokemon being animated. But I still like it. Especially the anime reference with Jigglypuff. My only question would be that scales are more acceptable for Charizard than fur.

2. Looking at the trailer and cast, It doesn't resemble the game much at all. The cast isn't familiar either: I'm guessing Lucy Stevens replaces Emillia Christie while Ken replaces Mike Baker. And its not the same without Odin Da- no Kaji Tang as Detective Pikachu. So I'm guessing this film is radically different from the game. I just finished Detective Pikachu a few days ago, so I'm wondering how this film that's going to influence a sequel for Detective Pikachu; cause that game screamed sequel. My concern is that they are not going to it if this film is sucessful its going to radically change the sequel for the style of the movie, namely replacing the original characters. Even if Detective Pikachu is an easy game the characters, wity dialouge/voice acting, and storytelling makes it a great game.

3. I think its going to be a great movie. Despite my concern and others, Ryan Renolds makes a great Detective Pikachu. At least they've done research on Pokemon. ( Mr.Mime showing its abillities, trainers etc. ) As a side note, dialouge from the video game proves that Detective Pikachu takes place in the same world as core RPGs.

If I can finally see a Mr Mime be arrested for being the world's most obvious paedophile this side of Woody Allen in a white van, I'll see this opening day. While high. Very high. Even higher than the writers clearly were.

"Mr Mime creeps me the motherfuck out, Jesus Christ" aside, I'm down for the sheer WTFery of a tech noir buddy cop movie starring Deadpool as Pikachu. Something that friggin' random could be the next Roger Rabbit or the next Emoji Movie and there's no way to tell until it's out.

Last edited:
If that’s what Pokémon are going to look like with more hi-def CGI then I’m glad PLGO didn’t upgrade the models. It’s probably better if we just stick to cute cartoon versions otherwise the whole series will have to be rebranded as horror games. Good lord.

Probably unpopular opinion, but when Pikachu makes no wrinkles in his face, he looks so huggable, actually (note: when). And at least Mime seems to provide humour than creepiness (BTW, isn't the infamous paedo Hypno and not him?)

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A real life Pokemon movie? That's all it needs really no matter how bad the film may actually be.

I've lost track of the many trailers, but... it is now revealed to us....

Pikachu invoked "Sweet Mother Arceus", either as mere fan acknowledgement that Arceus is god there (which we never get official stand of), or confirming that Arceus is god in the 'verse.
Pikachu peed a bit on Tim's shoulder. Yes, Pokemon apparently can excrete waste. And few more toilet humours.
Anyone probably thought Pikachu vs Charizard will have Pikachu winning, but we are shown that realistically, this is a little electric mouse vs big fire-breathing "dragon" lizard.
The horror of having something with uncontrollable psychic power like Psyduck, even when just mentioned as a soft black comedy.
Yet, it also has that sweet moment of Psyduck hugging poor lonely Pikachu, with this old nostalgic song.
Of course: "Magikarp. Completely useless."

I haven't really found the source, but they said that the setting here makes our usual Pokemon battle illegal and even frowns on use of balls, and humans and Pokemon coexist in harmony. Yes, this looks like the ideal world Team Plasma and N (before plot) wants to build. I do like the way Pokemon are integrated to human lives and their works.

I actually find Mr. Mime to be funny now, at the end of one trailer. It really plays pantomime for all the fun's worth despite it's infamous status (that they said Letterman had to even posted his request personally to Ishihara, the president of Pokemon, who thought that it's too creepy to ever be suitable there).

Last edited:
I haven't really found the source, but they said that the setting here makes our usual Pokemon battle illegal and even frowns on use of balls, and humans and Pokemon coexist in harmony. Yes, this looks like the ideal world Team Plasma and N (before plot) wants to build. I do like the way Pokemon are integrated to human lives and their works.
I would really like to hear the source on this.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Well that was the first time I've pre-bought tickets since Toy Story 3, hopefully all the good buzz about this movie ends up being true! Worst case scenario if it ends up being really underwhelming, I can complain about it here too :P

I would really like to hear the source on this.
Not really a source, but afaik that's the chatter from people who saw the prescreening of it in Japan recently. Only thing I could find was from a ResetERA poster who saw it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...media-impressions.113220/page-5#post-20161148

Here's what the dude thought of the movie, and here's where he mentions that Pokemon battling is illegal:

Ogodei said:
It's pretty good. I didn't laugh at as many of Reynolds' zingers as the rest of the audience did but his Pikachu keeps it consistent without overwhelming the narrative, which is full goofy, like one of the anime Pokemon movies brought to life. The story is very well-wrought though, lots of twists and turns and it keeps itself moving at a brisk pace throughout, again despite having a basic plot lifted right out of 90s kids movies or shonen anime movies. Visual effects are great, and it's a different take on Pokemon given the plot being in a city where Pokemon battles are both culturally discouraged and illegal.

Second guess your instincts about where the story is going as you watch.

Well that was the first time I've pre-bought tickets since Toy Story 3, hopefully all the good buzz about this movie ends up being true! Worst case scenario if it ends up being really underwhelming, I can complain about it here too :P

Not really a source, but afaik that's the chatter from people who saw the prescreening of it in Japan recently. Only thing I could find was from a ResetERA poster who saw it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...media-impressions.113220/page-5#post-20161148

Here's what the dude thought of the movie, and here's where he mentions that Pokemon battling is illegal:
Does how close it is to the game?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)