Pokemon: Detective Pikachu ( Movie )Discussion Thread

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The main challenge a direct sequel faces is that the very selling point of the movie is undone at the end, with Pikachu and Reynolds separating. The film absolutely hinges on the talking Pikachu. Not just because Ryan Reynolds did a fantastic job with the comedy, but also because it allows a Pokémon to be a main character/dialogue partner, and it allows communication with otherwise unintelligible Pokémon via translation. And having all Pokémon talk would be wrong too, even if only the main character could understand them. Putting Reynolds back in the same Pikachu would also be a bit of a jerky move, as the end of the movie implied that the Pikachu in question only "borrowed" Reynolds its body, and that it really is a whole separate sentient being who'd rather be in control of its own body unless it's an absolute emergency. So the problem with making a sequel to the talking Pikachu movie is that by the end, the Pikachu isn't talking anymore. And unless they feature Reynolds's character (which, admittedly, wouldn't be a bad choice considering his character's profession as a detective - you could easily have another Pokémon mystery be the core of the plot), Reynolds is out too, and he was a big selling point. There's also the question of whether "human Reynolds interacting with Pokémon" would be as interesting/marketable as "Reynolds as a Pokémon". So, bit of a tricky spot there.

The other option is to change the concept of the movie entirely for the sequel, telling an entirely different story with different characters, and only keeping the Pokémon setting. In other words, not doing a sequel at all, merely another live action Pokémon movie. At a glance, it is tempting to do what the Anime does and adapt the story of the games, which I would advise strongly against. The games are set up so that a (very long) string of battles and some simple navigation leads you to the end, which would be really repetitive to show on film. Not to mention that you'd necessarily have to cut out a lot, because there's no way one can start with a trainer with a lone starter Pokémon and show the entire journey until they beat the Champion with a six-Pokémon team within the runtime of a movie without skipping over huge chunks of what happened in between. Pokémon Origins tried that, and it had very little character development and showed very little battling. It turns out that what happens along the way is more important than a snapshot of the beginning and the end of the journey, and there's no way it can all be shown in a movie. In a TV series, maybe, but the Anime is already doing that (and what a "fine" job it does with it at that...).

So yeah, a sequel movie would have to accept a radically different premise no matter what happens. Either, they'll have to drop Reynolds or find something else for him to do, and neither of the options seem to have as much promise as the original has. Doing a sort of reboot with Reynolds as a totally different talking Pikachu might be an option too, but a little confusing. It will be interesting to see where they go, though.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.

Haven't seen a thread on this, so let's go! ( No pun intended. )

The first trailer for the first-live action Pokemon movie, Detective Pikachu has been revealed:

Thoughts:

1. Wow, the Pokemon look weird. I guess its because the medium is live- action and we're used to Pokemon being animated. But I still like it. Especially the anime reference with Jigglypuff. My only question would be that scales are more acceptable for Charizard than fur.

2. Looking at the trailer and cast, It doesn't resemble the game much at all. The cast isn't familiar either: I'm guessing Lucy Stevens replaces Emillia Christie while Ken replaces Mike Baker. And its not the same without Odin Da- no Kaji Tang as Detective Pikachu. So I'm guessing this film is radically different from the game. I just finished Detective Pikachu a few days ago, so I'm wondering how this film that's going to influence a sequel for Detective Pikachu; cause that game screamed sequel. My concern is that they are not going to it if this film is sucessful its going to radically change the sequel for the style of the movie, namely replacing the original characters. Even if Detective Pikachu is an easy game the characters, wity dialouge/voice acting, and storytelling makes it a great game.

3. I think its going to be a great movie. Despite my concern and others, Ryan Renolds makes a great Detective Pikachu. At least they've done research on Pokemon. ( Mr.Mime showing its abillities, trainers etc. ) As a side note, dialouge from the video game proves that Detective Pikachu takes place in the same world as core RPGs.
I am sorry but that protagonist’s nose is bulbous, like a sore, it’s basically screaming “Bulbasaur!”

Anyways, I loved the quality of the CGI, and how they encapsulated how simple the games and anime are as a punch line (how awkward it is that Pokémon only say their own name).

Go Ryan Reynolds for making a cute and annoying character into something slightly badass and finally able to show some personality. Deadpool is not his only niche.

Last edited:
Alas, I have not the time to watch it (ugh thesisisisisis.....:psycry:), nor anyone to watch alongside, but I have been reading that it is mostly positive. I haven't seen Tvtropes as I don't want to be spoiled, but before release, it has been glossing DetPika as truly an aversion of Video Game Movies Suck. Well, Rotten Tomatoes as of now only give 64% making it not really aversion but at least downplayed example, but apparently it is still a great success, with the plot and too much fanservice being factor holding it back from being better.

I want to know how the sales figures goes. I always want to see Pokemon expanding even farther internationally.

The only problem I hate as of now is how they oversaturate GO. Oh well, I was excited of going for TSR's Nightmare Cup, but looks like my thesis and lack of team building materials will make me drop that yet again. I can't find Croagunks amidst the Aipoms....

The main challenge a direct sequel faces is that the very selling point of the movie is undone at the end, with Pikachu and Reynolds separating. The film absolutely hinges on the talking Pikachu. Not just because Ryan Reynolds did a fantastic job with the comedy, but also because it allows a Pokémon to be a main character/dialogue partner, and it allows communication with otherwise unintelligible Pokémon via translation. And having all Pokémon talk would be wrong too, even if only the main character could understand them. Putting Reynolds back in the same Pikachu would also be a bit of a jerky move, as the end of the movie implied that the Pikachu in question only "borrowed" Reynolds its body, and that it really is a whole separate sentient being who'd rather be in control of its own body unless it's an absolute emergency. So the problem with making a sequel to the talking Pikachu movie is that by the end, the Pikachu isn't talking anymore. And unless they feature Reynolds's character (which, admittedly, wouldn't be a bad choice considering his character's profession as a detective - you could easily have another Pokémon mystery be the core of the plot), Reynolds is out too, and he was a big selling point. There's also the question of whether "human Reynolds interacting with Pokémon" would be as interesting/marketable as "Reynolds as a Pokémon". So, bit of a tricky spot there.

The other option is to change the concept of the movie entirely for the sequel, telling an entirely different story with different characters, and only keeping the Pokémon setting. In other words, not doing a sequel at all, merely another live action Pokémon movie. At a glance, it is tempting to do what the Anime does and adapt the story of the games, which I would advise strongly against. The games are set up so that a (very long) string of battles and some simple navigation leads you to the end, which would be really repetitive to show on film. Not to mention that you'd necessarily have to cut out a lot, because there's no way one can start with a trainer with a lone starter Pokémon and show the entire journey until they beat the Champion with a six-Pokémon team within the runtime of a movie without skipping over huge chunks of what happened in between. Pokémon Origins tried that, and it had very little character development and showed very little battling. It turns out that what happens along the way is more important than a snapshot of the beginning and the end of the journey, and there's no way it can all be shown in a movie. In a TV series, maybe, but the Anime is already doing that (and what a "fine" job it does with it at that...).

So yeah, a sequel movie would have to accept a radically different premise no matter what happens. Either, they'll have to drop Reynolds or find something else for him to do, and neither of the options seem to have as much promise as the original has. Doing a sort of reboot with Reynolds as a totally different talking Pikachu might be an option too, but a little confusing. It will be interesting to see where they go, though.
Well, a sequel is already in development. Dunno how good its gonna be though. Interesting to note is that the Developers talked about a Smash Bros. Series movie, and they said it would probably be a Nintendo Infinity War, and the fact that the other Nintendo Franchises need their movies.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Well, a sequel is already in development. Dunno how good its gonna be though. Interesting to note is that the Developers talked about a Smash Bros. Series movie, and they said it would probably be a Nintendo Infinity War, and the fact that the other Nintendo Franchises need their movies.
Right? Like you think they would have a Zelda movie right now, with the longer history and positive feedback from relatively recent games like Breath of the Wild.

Looking forward to how Smash would be, likely a tournament to justify the sudden crossover, but it would be hard to squeeze all of the main protagonists at this point into 1 movie unless it turns into 3 hours (unlikely).

Right? Like you think they would have a Zelda movie right now, with the longer history and positive feedback from relatively recent games like Breath of the Wild.

Looking forward to how Smash would be, likely a tournament to justify the sudden crossover, but it would be hard to squeeze all of the main protagonists at this point into 1 movie unless it turns into 3 hours (unlikely).
There’s also the issue of acquiring all the rights- particularly from the 3rd parties. If they had to choose between the stories, I’m guessing Subspace Emissary, since that’s more story driven.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
There’s also the issue of acquiring all the rights- particularly from the 3rd parties. If they had to choose between the stories, I’m guessing Subspace Emissary, since that’s more story driven.
I agree. But I think Zelda has more characters.

True, but if the developers are announcing it, they either got the 3rd party or are sticking with Nintendo only characters.

Well, they could just use the roster for the original Super Smash Bros for the first Super Smash Bros movie. And if you go the route that Marvel went, which was enough movies beforehand to introduce all of the Avengers, so you could jump right into the plot without intros, you could get it done in only a few movies, as a large bunch could be introduced in a Mario Bros movie.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Well, they could just use the roster for the original Super Smash Bros for the first Super Smash Bros movie. And if you go the route that Marvel went, which was enough movies beforehand to introduce all of the Avengers, so you could jump right into the plot without intros, you could get it done in only a few movies, as a large bunch could be introduced in a Mario Bros movie.
I think it could also work where the end of one movie leads the protagonist(s) to a certain area, and the end of another movie’s protagonist characters leads to the same area and it ends on the credits where they notice each other. From there it’s like “Sonic meets Mario!”

Hey, maybe that will happen in the new Sonic movie!

... I haven't watched it until now.

Anyway, Pokemon Det. Pikachu will get Switch sequel which continues from the 3DS title, differing from the movie. The movie was also slated to have its sequel, did it not?
Well, this is "Pokemon Movie's new canon vs current Anipoke SunMoon run" situation? Not that I complain, since I actually seem to prefer the Justice Smith Tim than the 3DS Tim.

Yay sequel!

we might yet get a whole series of Pokemon adventure games! a whole series about the pokemon world as seen from someone other than a pubescent overpowered trainer!

Happy days everyone

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yay sequel!

we might yet get a whole series of Pokemon adventure games! a whole series about the pokemon world as seen from someone other than a pubescent overpowered trainer!

Happy days everyone
Well, it'll still probably be starring Tim.

Unlike in the movie, Tim didn't find his father. While the game is about stopping a mass release of R (a promise Tim's dad and Pikachu made to Mewtwo; however the R isn't quite the same as the one in the movie or at least its overall purpose), after they do that Mewtwo just tells Tim his father is still alive and so at the end of the game Tim and Pikachu set out to find him.

Well, it'll still probably be starring Tim.
Tim isn't a trainer :<

as long as we're not stuck with a protagonist who's neither more talented than every other person in a whole region and going on a backpacking trip to master the art of pokecockfighting, I'm happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)