Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It would still probably upset a lot of Pokemon fans though, so I don't see them doing it. I feel like there would be backlash, and they haven't done such a thing before.
If an XY and an ORAS player try to trade with each other, and the XY player scrolls through the PC of the other, he might notice fully trained Groudon and Kyogre with only three moves, or 'mons like Gallade or Sharpedo holding no item. And error messages aplenty if he tries to trade. Game Freak has made some strictly incompatible stuff in Gen VI in ways it never did before. Forme changes in earlier generations required overworld interaction or Key Items, not items like Mega Stones that should be visible in the trade interface. ORAS was also the first time completely new moves were introduced mid-generation, breaking trade compatibility completely with their preceding games, and also quite a few previously-thought-unassailable conventions. Coincidentally, my strong conviction that this would be impossible, and willingness to take on embarrassing bets over it, is the reason why my nick is not Cobraroll any more.

That being said... entirely new Pokémon is a whole new ballpark, and they've opened a bag of Alola forms already, so my guess is that they'll just stick to the policy of adding new forms, not new dex numbers. Then again, there is no National Dex in Sun and Moon, so... this gen, I'm not taking any bets.

Some sites say that USM will feature Pokemon that did not appear in SM. Talking from experience with past releases, does this mean actual NEW pokemon or does this mean new forms like the rotoms, kyurem-bw or shaymin?
The Japanese video only said "Pokemon that were not in Sun and Moon", nothing about them being "new". My guess is an expanded Alolan Pokedex with more Pokemon from previous generations and perhaps a few Alolan forms.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
The Japanese video only said "Pokemon that were not in Sun and Moon", nothing about them being "new". My guess is an expanded Alolan Pokedex with more Pokemon from previous generations and perhaps a few Alolan forms.
Besides the box legends, it seems like it will be similar to Black 2 and White 2, as the character looks older, the area looks changed since Sun and Moon, and my guess is that since the Institute was stopped and the Ultra Beasts captured, something else must be happening, perhaps a returning villain trying to get back at the protagonist rather than a new leader.
My guess is new forms (Kyurem's forms seems like a fair comparison to the Box Legends' possibly fusing with Nekromoza).

My hope is that they change some of the stats of Pokémon to make them more viable, I know they did that in Sun and Moon with Pokémon like Mantine, but I think we will be getting more.

I can't see this happening mid-generation.
On a technical level I don't think it'd be too bad. We do have precedence of the properties of an existing thing being changed mid-gen in Gen 4 Hypnosis - DP had Hypnosis at 70% while both Platinum and HGSS had it at 60%. When doing a link battle between a DP cart and a PtHGSS cart, the accuracy was changed to 60% for the DP player.
In the same way, if Game Freak really wanted to do it; they could change a Pokémon's stats in USUM and in link battles have USUM tell SM to change the stats for that battle.

On a technical level I don't think it'd be too bad. We do have precedence of the properties of an existing thing being changed mid-gen in Gen 4 Hypnosis - DP had Hypnosis at 70% while both Platinum and HGSS had it at 60%. When doing a link battle between a DP cart and a PtHGSS cart, the accuracy was changed to 60% for the DP player.
In the same way, if Game Freak really wanted to do it; they could change a Pokémon's stats in USUM and in link battles have USUM tell SM to change the stats for that battle.

Its all a case of work to reward, in the time scale if they believe something is truly broken then they will mid gen work a simple fix. If it isn't something that is a simple fix or that much of an issue in terms of stats, moves, abilities, game mechanics, they won't fix it till the next generation. So the hope of making pokemon more viable that haven't actually already got something in the pipeline (I'm looking at you heatmor) won't happen, they will only downgrade broken mons or nothing at all

Ffs why did I click on the vid, I knew deep down it wasn't legit. Hopefully some REAL news drops soon with Corocoro due to leak in next few days.

"Hurr but we wanna visit Kanto I mean wit all da references and da hints and da call baks surely da devs wanna remake kanto and we go visit kanto for da mewtwos and da badgez HURRRRRRR"

I'm so tired of this. Can Gamefreak just make a Switch version of Kanto with literally no difference other than graphics so this crap will stop for maybe a few years?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"Hurr but we wanna visit Kanto I mean wit all da references and da hints and da call baks surely da devs wanna remake kanto and we go visit kanto for da mewtwos and da badgez HURRRRRRR"

I'm so tired of this. Can Gamefreak just make a Switch version of Kanto with literally no difference other than graphics so this crap will stop for maybe a few years?
Yeah, I'm also kind of getting tired of just the general "I hope we'll be given the ability to visit a previous gen region" despite the region the game takes place in not being anywhere close to a previous gen region. We're not going to take a plane or boat to a far off region, only if the region is within spitting distance like Kanto is with Johto will we get to visit another region (hence if they ever make another game tat has Kanto I think they should also throw in Johto just to also get it out of the way).

To be quite honest, you're doing it wrong. Poni Gauntlet is faster than E4 to level up because you don't have the cutscenes. And when your Pokémon hits level 66, you only need two Rare Kitchen 5* and 2 Rare Candies to take it to level 100. It takes me around half an hour, without the need to grind for FCs, since I have over 8000 with all the events.
I would love too, but everytime I rank up I don't get a rare kitchen from that fat kid.

not even a year old and they gave sun/moon cover legends, were they really that underpowered??

i guess GF wanted solgaleo to smash xerneas into oblivion

hey everyone, fairly new person here.

if I may interject I have a couple of silly things that popped in my head in relation to this, and my personal wishlist

things I want?

1) if possible, some Mega Evolutions. yes I read all the way through this, they just spiced things up IMO even if they make the meta wonky.

2) along with the Tutors some Egg move edits maybe for s certain ice dino who is missing two moves that would not only benefit it more for battle but would actually make sense
3) since gen 5 call backs have been springing up left and right, some difficulty changer and a cut scene skipping option. honestly I actually hate lily now, and Nuzlocks are more tedious for me in S&M then with XY and their lovely hand holding bland cast of "friends".

anyway, and feel free to ignore me on this bit, but I wanted to pitch some thoughts that drifted into the back of my mind that I couldn't really shake.

mostly with all the Gen V refs springing up...

firstly what if the Remakes we get are a side by side Gen 4 and 5, in the form of a Grey and Platinum?

another thing that I guess I thought of was the idea of adding more pokemon by forms, and of alternate story..

not sure why but I thought of the other Legendary whose full form never got to see the light of day in a main game story whom I often compare to being the polar opposite of Zygarde: Kyurem.. and with all the gen 5 refs just thought that they would flip it in an alternate version and maybe even focus on a Certain dragon whose original form we have not gotten to see.. considering that even though we know what it was like initially after the split, we don;t have any knowledge as to what it did, and what it's purpose was before the split.. and also why Kyurem's stone in BW in the code was named the "God Stone".

not entirely suggesting these as realistic suggestions but more or less spit balling some less traveled options for the sake of brain storming, mostly as GF wants to hit us with curve balls like with gen 6.

certainly not at all me venting any expressed desire to give purpose or closure to a 7 year long hole in story and lore that no one actually talks about or ponders about since every cover legend is extremely crucial to the universe in one way or another with a fairly large defining role, and that what was supposed to be a whole dragon revealed and a mystery as to why it actually split and what it did before explained, was completely bypassed and was given two meh forms with bad sig moves, which would be surpassed by Ultra Dragon Jesus Ray a generation later. also seeing the split kinda gives me that burning rage inside my chest as Necrozma is literally nothing special on it's own aside from battle armor...

anyways, sorry for the longwinded post, hope it wasn't too bleh and offtopic, although with new Alolan forms I also wonder what they could do if they integrated more then just Kanto and Johto mons....

also, will we be given the treatment of the Tiki statue head in relation to Yungoose as to what 8th gen will have in store by giving us some snippits of history of where it might have come from when it arrived in Alola in these new games?

not even a year old and they gave sun/moon cover legends, were they really that underpowered??

i guess GF wanted solgaleo to smash xerneas into oblivion
Except Nintendo's had a habit of releasing a new Pokemon game a year for awhile, albeit with a year break in some cases: Platinum, HGSS, and BW came out with in a three year period. Then after a year wait we got BW2, XY, and ORAS within a three year period followed by another year wait. If this pattern holds, then Gen 4 remakes could happen next followed by a year off for Gen 8 to be done.

hey everyone, fairly new person here.

if I may interject I have a couple of silly things that popped in my head in relation to this, and my personal wishlist

things I want?

1) if possible, some Mega Evolutions. yes I read all the way through this, they just spiced things up IMO even if they make the meta wonky.

2) along with the Tutors some Egg move edits maybe for s certain ice dino who is missing two moves that would not only benefit it more for battle but would actually make sense
3) since gen 5 call backs have been springing up left and right, some difficulty changer and a cut scene skipping option. honestly I actually hate lily now, and Nuzlocks are more tedious for me in S&M then with XY and their lovely hand holding bland cast of "friends".

anyway, and feel free to ignore me on this bit, but I wanted to pitch some thoughts that drifted into the back of my mind that I couldn't really shake.

mostly with all the Gen V refs springing up...

firstly what if the Remakes we get are a side by side Gen 4 and 5, in the form of a Grey and Platinum?

another thing that I guess I thought of was the idea of adding more pokemon by forms, and of alternate story..

not sure why but I thought of the other Legendary whose full form never got to see the light of day in a main game story whom I often compare to being the polar opposite of Zygarde: Kyurem.. and with all the gen 5 refs just thought that they would flip it in an alternate version and maybe even focus on a Certain dragon whose original form we have not gotten to see.. considering that even though we know what it was like initially after the split, we don;t have any knowledge as to what it did, and what it's purpose was before the split.. and also why Kyurem's stone in BW in the code was named the "God Stone".

not entirely suggesting these as realistic suggestions but more or less spit balling some less traveled options for the sake of brain storming, mostly as GF wants to hit us with curve balls like with gen 6.

certainly not at all me venting any expressed desire to give purpose or closure to a 7 year long hole in story and lore that no one actually talks about or ponders about since every cover legend is extremely crucial to the universe in one way or another with a fairly large defining role, and that what was supposed to be a whole dragon revealed and a mystery as to why it actually split and what it did before explained, was completely bypassed and was given two meh forms with bad sig moves, which would be surpassed by Ultra Dragon Jesus Ray a generation later. also seeing the split kinda gives me that burning rage inside my chest as Necrozma is literally nothing special on it's own aside from battle armor...

anyways, sorry for the longwinded post, hope it wasn't too bleh and offtopic, although with new Alolan forms I also wonder what they could do if they integrated more then just Kanto and Johto mons....

also, will we be given the treatment of the Tiki statue head in relation to Yungoose as to what 8th gen will have in store by giving us some snippits of history of where it might have come from when it arrived in Alola in these new games?

Hey Grartyr, welcome to the forums, hope you will find a new home here and feel comfortable to post more like this as its sparked my intuition and thought process again.

I've been poo pooing the idea of new megas a reasonable amount, yes I love them and yes I get that you've read it through, just don't think they're gonna turn up (no mega Weavile for me D: )
Some more egg moves would be welcomed as well yes, can't really give examples as i haven't looked into them that much.
Scene skippers would be a god send, for all the hand holding through SM it would be warmly welcomed, given a hug, asked if it needed a bite to eat and be pleaded not to leave too soon.

Now interesting ideas, I'm not sure what you're aiming at with Grey and Platinum remakes, If you're suggesting USM will have homages to such concepts, maybe, but I think it would irritate the fan base more because we'd been calling for proper remakes or sequels.

The idea that we will have another kyurem story is intriguing. All the resemblance and comparisons between gen 5 and USM could mean we get some icy dragon screen time. Another suggestion to support this is we know Colress is active in Alola from the quick cameo in SM.
As much as i'd love to have the "original dragon" plot line played out in a game, I would think that for it to happen we'd need to be in Unova not Alola as i'm pretty sure iirc that when being told about the original dragon the two heroes were both based in Unova and no talk of a "far off island" and if they were to do something to like they did with Zygarde I'd be beyond ballistic because they set up the remakes to have the original dragon so perfectly (In a similar sense to Primals only they actually foreshadowed Kyurem plans) so i'd prefer to have a full storyline of original dragoness and seeing as we've been waved new Solgaleo and Lunala forms I'd find it unlikely for them not to be the main attraction. All just possible ideas, same as you so by any means tear them apart xD

Hey Grartyr, welcome to the forums, hope you will find a new home here and feel comfortable to post more like this as its sparked my intuition and thought process again.

I've been poo pooing the idea of new megas a reasonable amount, yes I love them and yes I get that you've read it through, just don't think they're gonna turn up (no mega Weavile for me D: )
Some more egg moves would be welcomed as well yes, can't really give examples as i haven't looked into them that much.
Scene skippers would be a god send, for all the hand holding through SM it would be warmly welcomed, given a hug, asked if it needed a bite to eat and be pleaded not to leave too soon.

Now interesting ideas, I'm not sure what you're aiming at with Grey and Platinum remakes, If you're suggesting USM will have homages to such concepts, maybe, but I think it would irritate the fan base more because we'd been calling for proper remakes or sequels.

The idea that we will have another kyurem story is intriguing. All the resemblance and comparisons between gen 5 and USM could mean we get some icy dragon screen time. Another suggestion to support this is we know Colress is active in Alola from the quick cameo in SM.
As much as i'd love to have the "original dragon" plot line played out in a game, I would think that for it to happen we'd need to be in Unova not Alola as i'm pretty sure iirc that when being told about the original dragon the two heroes were both based in Unova and no talk of a "far off island" and if they were to do something to like they did with Zygarde I'd be beyond ballistic because they set up the remakes to have the original dragon so perfectly (In a similar sense to Primals only they actually foreshadowed Kyurem plans) so i'd prefer to have a full storyline of original dragoness and seeing as we've been waved new Solgaleo and Lunala forms I'd find it unlikely for them not to be the main attraction. All just possible ideas, same as you so by any means tear them apart xD

Egg moves, as I.. so subtly pointed out for me is Aurorus finally learning power gem.
this gen was salt in the wound for me as I had to deal with it not only getting Power gem in gen 6, but Aurora Veil in gen 7.. and it would make it at least slightly better since it can already set Hail.

as for the versions, maybe? I was always under the impression that people wanted a grey Version more, and that platinum was the most preferred of the three main gen 4 titles.

another thing I threw around a lot was the Ad and Lus orbs leading to a form change of some kind, but that was rather predictable.

as for kyurem, I have my own theories to what it's place was originally as a legendary but that stretches into theory tin foil areas.

(essentially, a Mixture of a chinese dragon and the greek titan Prometheus, a benefactor for civilization who split itself in a way of helping mankind.. which is why I always parallel it with Zygarde who is more of a guardian of the environment.)

Edit: also the DNA splicers given to you by Wicke that were taken from Lusamine, and the fact that Z crystals are supposed to be the more environmentally friendly opposite to Mega Stones would lead me to believe that if these were an alternate it would be mega Evolution in the focus and artificial augmentation and form change rather then Z crystals.. mixed with Kyurem and a more civilized and settled Alola in contrast to the harmony with nature vibe would also make for a nice contrast to really set the themes apart. assuming that they can get away with doing something with kyurem like you pointed out without inciting a fullscale riot.

but at this point I would take anything to just fill that gap, this extremely powerful and enigmatic dragon whose importance seemed to just vanish with gen 5, whose power could hypothetically rival Zygarde, Giratina, and Rayquaza.

Last edited:
as for the versions, maybe? I was always under the impression that people wanted a grey Version more, and that platinum was the most preferred of the three main gen 4 titles.
People were expecting a Grey version, since prior to that we got a single third game for each generation... but Nintendo surprised everyone with BW2, which I believe had mostly satisfied everyone who wanted Grey.

Egg moves, as I.. so subtly pointed out for me is Aurorus finally learning power gem.
this gen was salt in the wound for me as I had to deal with it not only getting Power gem in gen 6, but Aurora Veil in gen 7.. and it would make it at least slightly better since it can already set Hail.

another thing I threw around a lot was the Ad and Lus orbs leading to a form change of some kind, but that was rather predictable.

as for kyurem, I have my own theories to what it's place was originally as a legendary but that stretches into theory tin foil areas.

(essentially, a Mixture of a chinese dragon and the greek titan Prometheus, a benefactor for civilization who split itself in a way of helping mankind.. which is why I always parallel it with Zygarde who is more of a guardian of the environment.)

Edit: also the DNA splicers given to you by Wicke that were taken from Lusamine, and the fact that Z crystals are supposed to be the more environmentally friendly opposite to Mega Stones would lead me to believe that if these were an alternate it would be mega Evolution in the focus and artificial augmentation and form change rather then Z crystals.. mixed with Kyurem and a more civilized and settled Alola in contrast to the harmony with nature vibe would also make for a nice contrast to really set the themes apart. assuming that they can get away with doing something with kyurem like you pointed out without inciting a fullscale riot.

but at this point I would take anything to just fill that gap, this extremely powerful and enigmatic dragon whose importance seemed to just vanish with gen 5, whose power could hypothetically rival Zygarde, Giratina, and Rayquaza.

I completely missed the hinting i do apologize, and i feel your pain on that, could have been a bulkier option for hail and aurora veil setting, but never know, might gift it this time round.

With versions I think you'd be correct, only issue is I don't think pokemon grey is an especially appetizing name to catch peoples imagination, bit like pokemon beige. Just my view, but yeah I think mostly people were satisfied with BW2 the only reason they weren't was because it wasn't BW and they'd pumped so many hours into BW. It was a shame that they decided to drop the original dragon storyline, although having had a couple hours to mulch its not particularly surprising as it was holding the precedent that every generation the legendaries would still get bigger and badder and they didn't want to full under that issue (as arguably TCG has) and that actually after releasing the God pokemon they didn't want to go making something which would equal or excel its stat range (another reason why mega evolution has arguably been more bad than good for the series) however having done this now I think it opens the opportunity to have the original dragon rear its head in a battle against another mon which goes against all it stands for (Giratina perhaps? Chaos and all?) Stat wise i'd put it on par with Arceus and give it a broken ability. Slightly left field, as Rayquaza still rules all with its monstrous Kitting, but I wouldn't want to go filling the AG tier anymore than it already is. All of this though is heading into theorymonning so I won't step into that world just yet. I'd agree on the view of it being similar to Zygarde, but then Rayquaza also falls into that category of protector of nature. So could be a foreshadow to it getting some attention as the other two had, although some may suggest its already got attention. So who knows.

Mega evolution being the focus for USM and a more Urban Alola would be a surprise to say the least, for both the u turn on their policy with mega evolution and also the work to be put in for all the rerendering of mostly new alola, but wait and see, also Pokemon website now has some writing on the game and hints heavily on 'new forms' whether it be on the cover mons, and not specifying whether necrozma really is part of the two mons but just says they bear resemblance, so shouts for more alolan forms hopefully and more context to the covers than might meet the eye...

I completely missed the hinting i do apologize, and i feel your pain on that, could have been a bulkier option for hail and aurora veil setting, but never know, might gift it this time round.

With versions I think you'd be correct, only issue is I don't think pokemon grey is an especially appetizing name to catch peoples imagination, bit like pokemon beige. Just my view, but yeah I think mostly people were satisfied with BW2 the only reason they weren't was because it wasn't BW and they'd pumped so many hours into BW. It was a shame that they decided to drop the original dragon storyline, although having had a couple hours to mulch its not particularly surprising as it was holding the precedent that every generation the legendaries would still get bigger and badder and they didn't want to full under that issue (as arguably TCG has) and that actually after releasing the God pokemon they didn't want to go making something which would equal or excel its stat range (another reason why mega evolution has arguably been more bad than good for the series) however having done this now I think it opens the opportunity to have the original dragon rear its head in a battle against another mon which goes against all it stands for (Giratina perhaps? Chaos and all?) Stat wise i'd put it on par with Arceus and give it a broken ability. Slightly left field, as Rayquaza still rules all with its monstrous Kitting, but I wouldn't want to go filling the AG tier anymore than it already is. All of this though is heading into theorymonning so I won't step into that world just yet. I'd agree on the view of it being similar to Zygarde, but then Rayquaza also falls into that category of protector of nature. So could be a foreshadow to it getting some attention as the other two had, although some may suggest its already got attention. So who knows.

Mega evolution being the focus for USM and a more Urban Alola would be a surprise to say the least, for both the u turn on their policy with mega evolution and also the work to be put in for all the rerendering of mostly new alola, but wait and see, also Pokemon website now has some writing on the game and hints heavily on 'new forms' whether it be on the cover mons, and not specifying whether necrozma really is part of the two mons but just says they bear resemblance, so shouts for more alolan forms hopefully and more context to the covers than might meet the eye...

it would be awfully redundant to make the new forms hint just more text describing the two cover legends we already saw and could already guess, so I am hoping for more Alolan mons.

however, I am not with the crowd that wants G2 and G1 mons, I want to see a mix of Generations and make the ecosystem feel vibrant and tropical, or at the very least toy with the idea more of actual natural evolution of pokemon species, they have something almost as fun as mega evolution to toy with and I hope it wasn't a one trick pony they only dumped on a few Gen 1 mons for the lols and nostalgia.

People were expecting a Grey version, since prior to that we got a single third game for each generation... but Nintendo surprised everyone with BW2, which I believe had mostly satisfied everyone who wanted Grey.
BW2 was good, and crammed in content, but it still felt like a lore blue balls all in all, when they could have made grey the Sequal at least and avoided that split for kyurem.

everything from post game content to goodies like regie catching and even a difficulty raising option (albeit the way to get those was annoying) made me sink almost as much hours into it as HGSS, and IMO gen 5 on it's own was the golden Era of pokemon story telling till we reached... *sigh*... x and y..

BW2 was good, and crammed in content, but it still felt like a lore blue balls all in all, when they could have made grey the Sequal at least and avoided that split for kyurem.

everything from post game content to goodies like regie catching and even a difficulty raising option (albeit the way to get those was annoying) made me sink almost as much hours into it as HGSS, and IMO gen 5 on it's own was the golden Era of pokemon story telling till we reached... *sigh*... x and y..
I'd agree with you on gen 5 in general, the story's were well done, and had decent depth to them as well as adding both quirky (Galvantula niche) and down right amazing mons to the game (Excadrill, swords of justice, ferro) and I can see where you're coming from on the whole grey thing just I don't think it was necessarily a bad thing, just a change in tact from game freak. In producing such a successful franchise you need to be seen not repeating the past too often but still making homages at the same time and not alienating the deep fanbase, switching up the release format I think counted as one of these ideas. But thats just my way of excusing BW2 cos it was my first proper game :)

It woulda been fairly awkward if they did one version, given that the story in BW revolved around both you and N getting one of the two cover legendaries. Same with a sequel, since which game do you go with from there? BW2 was the best solution since that way each version was a direct continuation of the one before it.

And the storytelling for Pokemon has kept up. BW was the first amazing story, then XY was actually, imo, pretty grand and epic in scope (although the pacing was weird, especially during the beginning, and the people travelling with you were less memorable than Cheren and Bianca) while SM is a step up from BW's story.

Corocoro's out, and... it said nothing about USUM. Just more info on the Marshadow and Ho-Oh distributions.
Can't say I'm shocked. E3 is today, and odds are next month's corocoro will review any info revealed at that.

then XY was actually, imo, pretty grand and epic in scope
The XY story was beyond moronic, impossible to take seriously on any level. Like Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, it's something someone might come up with to make fun of the franchise. "Epic in scope" isn't a good thing if it's impossible (or nearly impossible, since apparently you did) to buy into the story. GF's failure to realize that (though they did much better with SM) is one of the worst things about their approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)