Pokemon Gold 1997 Prototype discovered: Many scrapped pokemon designs within

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I'm curious: Now that at least some of RBY's source code has leaked, do we know what could have caused this? In the final release with all developer comments and such stripped out, the relevant data is literally just three bytes translating to "Ghost Psychic 0.0" (when Ghost hits Psychic apply 0.0x multiplier), which isn't much to go by. Maaaybe they typo'd and switched the order of the two types? But there's no proof of that without the source code.
A bit late to the punch here, but I think it may have been intended given all Ghost-types in the game are ""weak"" to Psychic by virtue of their part Poison-typing. Unlike some type-based changes in Stadium - in this case, Struggle affecting Ghost-types - the Ghost VS Psychic interaction was never changed. Then again, Bug VS Poison wasn't either, so you could argue that they were abiding by the actual type chart to a T.

Just thought I'd throw some ideas around, as this is actually super interesting to me.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
A bit late to the punch here, but I think it may have been intended given all Ghost-types in the game are ""weak"" to Psychic by virtue of their part Poison-typing. Unlike some type-based changes in Stadium - in this case, Struggle affecting Ghost-types - the Ghost VS Psychic interaction was never changed. Then again, Bug VS Poison wasn't either, so you could argue that they were abiding by the actual type chart to a T.

Just thought I'd throw some ideas around, as this is actually super interesting to me.
either neutral or immunity? take it as a bug or a simple mistake.

I'm curious: Now that at least some of RBY's source code has leaked, do we know what could have caused this? In the final release with all developer comments and such stripped out, the relevant data is literally just three bytes translating to "Ghost Psychic 0.0" (when Ghost hits Psychic apply 0.0x multiplier), which isn't much to go by. Maaaybe they typo'd and switched the order of the two types? But there's no proof of that without the source code.
I don't think there was much else found about this, but one theory of what happened is the Ghost vs Normal effectiveness was copied and left unchanged. Whether or not this was the case, it was probably not tested in practice due to Ghost and its final moves being a late addition.

It's been over 5 years and 2 generations since these Spaceworld leaks happened, with a lot more following afterwards.
1689444763740.png
1689444771525.png

https://community.pokemon.com/en-us/discussion/5917/about-the-prototypes-of-the-pokemon-games
I wanted to come back to this thread because I thought it was interesting that this thread about the prototypes was approved on the official Pokemon.com community forums, notable for supposedly only allowing official Pokemon discussion and being heavily moderated after the chaos of its initial public announcement. It's novel that in 2023 you can go on Pokemon.com and see Kotora's sprite with Spaceworld mentioned and comments about how Remoraid used to be a gun.

It is interesting that TPC/GF don't try and memory hole the entire thing.
Like they don't actively acknowledge it, but GF didn't even veto the talk about Madame when in that interview mentioning Sirfetch'd.

Which means you can see the intense fervor for Kotora, GameFreak so where is it. Where is our round tiger boy. GIVE US THE BOY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)