Pokemon, I Choose You! - SoCal Regionals 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My story starts off at the end of worlds 2011. I was entirely burned out on serious Pokemon and decided to have some fun in team building. I tested a lot obscure stuff that hasn't really seen much competitive play and found great success in these strategies. I was racking up wins all over the place and was having fun playing Pokemon again. On the side of this, however, I was also building a serious team that I thought would work out very well. It bored me to use it though, so I continued to play with the fun teams. While playing one day, I ran into a fellow VGC player on the VGC ladder that refused to acknowledge the success of my Pokemon and said that I couldn't have the balls to run that kind of stuff in a real event. That's when I dumped the "serious team" and decided I would be using one of my fun teams.

So I went into SoCal just wanting to have fun and I thought I had a pretty good chance of doing well because this one of my favorite fun teams.

AoK and I left NorCal around noon and after an uneventful drive marred by the terrible LA traffic, we finally arrived at Supe's house around 7PM. We were famished after traveling all day so Supe and his wife took Paul, AoK, and I to this amazing Brazilian BBQ place near his house. After stuffing ourselves with 10 different animals and getting Paul banned from the restaurant forever we head back to Supe's house to get some last minute practice in for TCG the following day. I spent the rest of the night not sleeping because Supe's cat tried to eat me.

The next day, we got to the convention center early to pick up some cards that I needed for my deck that I couldn't get in time. Easy enough. The rest of the day was spent doing TCG Regionals. I had alot of fun playing and I particularly loved my Kingdra/Cincinno deck. The results I had were not the best but that's the way the cards fall sometimes. After the tournament ended, rankings went up and we were happy to see that Supe had made top cut and would be playing the next day. We met up with OmegaDonut and had some of the most AMAZING comfort food I've ever had at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. OH MY GOD IT WAS DELICIOUS.

The next day was TCG day. Supe left early with Paul to get to his topcut match and AoK and I followed after. We got to the center around 9 and just hung out for a while while we waited for the event to start.

Oh yeah! I should go over my team before we continue. My team is dedicated to the great Pokemon Trainer of all time not named Gary Oak. I built this team using as many of Ash Ketchum's Pokemon as I could. I know many of you may be disappointed that I didn't use a full on Ash team but there were just some holes that would have bugged me to death if I didn't fill them.

Conway ** BioSci's Pikachu (M) @ Light Ball
Trait: Lightningrod
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Grass Knot
- Fake Out

Averman ** Cassie's Butterfree (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Compoundeyes
- Tailwind
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
- Whirlwind

Reed ** Cassie's Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Banks ** Cassie's Staraptor (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Close Combat
- Protect

Moreau ** Cassie's Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
- Light Screen
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Icy Wind

Goldberg ** Cassie's Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Clear Body
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Now, I know it isn't the best team but it sure as well was fun. Pikachu and Butterfree was my usual lead with Fake Out and Sleep Powder. After that it's a matter of controlling speed, putting things to sleep, and shuffling the sleep around with Whirlwind. With the new Sleep Mechanics it was easy to predict when things would wake up and Whirlwind accordingly. The rest of the team is built around controlling speed for Heracross and getting it to outpace the faster threats. With the Guts boost, Heracross is a monster. Metagross was tossed in because of the huge ice and dragon weak. I did have enough Ash Pokemon to run a full 4v4 Ash Battle though!

Battle Logs:
I'm not going to do this because I don't remember all that much. I can tell you that all of my losses were close and most definitely winnable if a thing or two went my way. I suffered a lot of 0-1 losses with the opponent having a little bit less than 20% of health left. I did manage to get a "FUCK BUTTERFREE OMG!" out of one of my opponent's and successfully quieted everyone that laughed at my team on preview. I even managed to get someone to call a hack check on me because My Pikachu OHKO'ed a haxorus with a crit :)

I ended up going 4-3 with the team and placed 33rd. This isn't the result I was expecting from myself but I did have alot of fun using the team and proving to people that you don't need to use the same boring stuff to do reasonably well. And I hope I proved to you that I do have the balls to run the same stuff I do on PO in a real tournament.

Props:
-Supe and his for being amazing and letting us stay in their beautiful home all weekend (especially to his wife for letting him hang out with us all weekend :])
-Cassie for providing almost all of the Pokemon I needed when I was piecing everything together. I don't think anyone else would have put up with so many requests for weird Pokemon
-BioSci for doing the amazing Pikachu that caught alot of people off guard
-Everyone that was at the event. This year I felt like there wasn't any sort of rivalry going on and everyone was very friendly with each other. I had alot of fun hanging out with Paul, OD, AoK, Deagle, and Metabou.
-The SoCal PTO for having everything so organized.
-ROSCOES CHICKEN AND AMAZING POTATOES!!

Slops:
-Tiebreaks bs

Cassie

giant claw
Haha I've already told you but I really did like your team. RNGing you stuff was the least I could do for letting me bounce some of my weird mon ideas off of you.
I'm sure you had more fun than everyone else, and because of you I actually want to try butterfree eventually...

I can't wait til April to see what other cool/weird things I get to rng ^_^

I knew this team was legit after you crushed me with it on the ladder, especially butterfree. SO FAST AND SO POWERFUL. Good job going 4-3 with an awesome team (slightly better than abc's psyduck team imo), and I look forward to seeing what you crush the NorCal regional with =D Hope to see you at Nats and Worlds!

Butterfree is boss.

I have always liked it.

Especially for singles with Quiver Dance.

Your team is very clever(much more then mine, my most clever combo was probably Discharge + Motor Drive or Haze + Draco Meteor).

Too bad you couldn't do better.

Great warstory! Ahhh Pikachu! After I saw Alphabet's warstory with Psyduck I was wondering if anyone was going to use a Pikachu :D awesome!

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
They Doubted Pika with a Hack check,,,, Cha Please Haters gonna hate it hate when Pikachu kicks ass.

I'm glad to hear you did so well!! This is inspiration!! I'm gonna try something fun of my own for the LCQ in Kona, but Worlds will have the good stuff :3

Take Pika to Worlds!!! Do it Huy!!!

Pikachu and Butterfree was my usual lead with Fake Out and Sleep Powder. After that it's a matter of controlling speed, putting things to sleep, and shuffling the sleep around with Whirlwind. With the new Sleep Mechanics it was easy to predict when things would wake up and Whirlwind accordingly.
that is brutal oh my god

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sleep + Whirlwind, man that is something else. Need to try that with Dragon Tail.

Huy you never cease to amuse and surprise us all with your wacky teams that actually work really well.

An awesome team with a great story to go with it. I'm disappointed in myself that I chose to not go to this. Hearing the "FUCK BUTTERFREE OMG" would have made the trip worthwhile. :heart:

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Huy, You're an inspiration for using such a nonstandard team.

I'd like to think the very shiny 20p I gave you in SD helped.

Battled the Pikachu-Butterfree combonation on PO today, actually quite effective. Really like how someone had the guts to go in with a team like this for an actual Regional.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
huy is the greatest vgc player of all time

of

all

time

(sorry ray)

if only there were TVs to get a smash bros melee/brawl inspired pika-pika-pikachu! chant going. some time...

this team was so freakin manly ilu huy

New sleep mechanics suck, and Huy is on a mission to prove it.

That team is so awesome. I can't wait to see what you'll do at Nats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)