Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So reviews are in, and Legends: Arceus is being critically acclaimed! Just going to post Kotaku's and Nintendo Life's roundup of various other reviews:
From what I've read, the game is essentially a diamond (and pearl) in the rough. Everyone is enjoying the new gameplay style, how it has incorporated the old style with new twists, and the story and side content is good & engaging. However it's not that well optimized and doesn't shake up things to the extent it could have, some articles doing the obvious comparison of Breath of the Wild and how it had all the above mentioned good points but also good optimization and pushed the Zelda franchise deep into a new style without holding back. Still, it may be the younger brother to Breath of the Wild, but Legends: Arceus is being called one of the best games in the Pokemon franchise!

Last edited:
At this point I swear they call every new pokemon game "the best game in the franchise" out of habit.

Not that I disagree with most of the reviews but... that sentence is kinda overused...
Contrary to recent backlash, pokemon games havr always been improving mechanics per gen, so the statement isnt wrong. If your new game isnt as good as your previous entreies, something went terribly wrong.

Contrary to recent backlash, pokemon games havr always been improving mechanics per gen, so the statement isnt wrong. If your new game isnt as good as your previous entreies, something went terribly wrong.
I don't disagree with you (I myself thought and still think SwSh holds that title at the moment, even with all its flaws), I'm just saying that the sentence is a tad overused and on top of it, as you said, if a series isnt at very least slowly improving title by title, the series has significant problems, so the statement also loses value.

Obscure Request: Can someone who currently has their Switch's auto-update setting turned off, and who currently has a version 1.0.0 digital preload of Legends, please check if the Switch OS actually forces you to download the day 1 patch when it connects to the internet to unlock the game?

Or does it allow you to say no while still unlocking the game, thus making it the only way to get a digital 1.0.0? (You may be able to check your current version by highlighting the Legends home screen icon then pressing + for Options.)

This is an obscure question I've been wondering about for 3+ years and never found an answer.

(With auto-update setting Off, the Switch OS still auto-downloads updates in the background but doesn't actually install them yet. Then every time you try to launch the game, it brings up an install prompt with Yes auto-highlighted, but it does give you the option to manually scroll over to No every single time. I'm wondering if anything similar happens for digital preload unlocks with auto-update Off, or if the Switch OS actually forces a yes in this specific case.)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, game is released, played for a few hours... and gotta admit, I'm not "feeling it".

I got to the first gameplay loop, and I'm having issues.

For one the controls the feel unintuitive. Maybe I just haven't rewired my brain to the controls yet, but two annoying things I keep doing:

To run I keep pressing the B button which is crouch, to run I have to press the L-pad down. Hey, um, GF, why not switch them? Or at least give us the option to? Or, how about once I press the run button LET ME KEEP RUNNING! "But it's not realistic and would take away the feel of being chased by a Pokemon". They threw that out the window when they let me dodge roll as many times as I want, I can apparently do hundreds of running rolls but running for more than a minute is too much.
Switching between items and Pokemon feels clunky. Having to hold down ZR and then do some other button presses feels awkward, like surely they had to be a better one like flicking ZR to enter into "throw mode" and then when you want to throw press ZR again.

Though, no, there's more. So I'm finally let out to do some of my first catches and filling out the Pokedex achievements... and running into issues. Like there's just not enough Pokemon around, and it seems to take a while for a Pokemon to respawn which is annoying as certain Pokemon like to run away if you mess up your ball throw (which BTW wastes the ball; why can't I pick it up?) / or they break out. But the running away isn't just on the field, if you battle them the more skittish ones will still run away. If I want to fill out the achievements for Starly and Wurmple I'm going to need a lot of balls.

Now, I'm just a few hours in so could just be either early game is a tad dry or I'm doing stuff I'm not supposed to just yet thus am making the experience sluggish. But overall, I gotta say, I'm missing the old gameplay. And I don't think that feeling is going to change, I DO NOT want this becoming the norm.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
So, game is released, played for a few hours... and gotta admit, I'm not "feeling it".

I got to the first gameplay loop, and I'm having issues.

For one the controls the feel unintuitive. Maybe I just haven't rewired my brain to the controls yet, but two annoying things I keep doing:

To run I keep pressing the B button which is crouch, to run I have to press the L-pad down. Hey, um, GF, why not switch them? Or at least give us the option to? Or, how about once I press the run button LET ME KEEP RUNNING! "But it's not realistic and would take away the feel of being chased by a Pokemon". They threw that out the window when they let me dodge roll as many times as I want, I can apparently do hundreds of running rolls but running for more than a minute is too much.
Switching between items and Pokemon feels clunky. Having to hold down ZR and then do some other button presses feels awkward, like surely they had to be a better one like flicking ZR to enter into "throw mode" and then when you want to throw press ZR again.

Though, no, there's more. So I'm finally let out to do some of my first catches and filling out the Pokedex achievements... and running into issues. Like there's just not enough Pokemon around, and it seems to take a while for a Pokemon to respawn which is annoying as certain Pokemon like to run away if you mess up your ball throw (which BTW wastes the ball; why can't I pick it up?) / or they break out. But the running away isn't just on the field, if you battle them the more skittish ones will still run away. If I want to fill out the achievements for Starly and Wurmple I'm going to need a lot of balls.

Now, I'm just a few hours in so could just be either early game is a tad dry or I'm doing stuff I'm not supposed to just yet thus am making the experience sluggish. But overall, I gotta say, I'm missing the old gameplay. And I don't think that feeling is going to change, I DO NOT want this becoming the norm.
I think this game really divide people on 'what they like about Pokémon', for me the gameplay is really addictive, but i can see why people may miss the traditional formula, the game does open a lot after the 'tutorial' area and you may like it more as you progress.
The better for the franchise would be slow down releases and have a traditional game and legends game each gen, useless they find a way to fuse both formulas in a way that makes everyone happy but that wouldnt work with yearly releases.
But anyway for me this is the best game in the franchise.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Okay, so I played a few more hours today, and I'm feeling a bit better. As KaenSoul said, after the Tutorial it REALLY opens up and, while obviously there's the main story objective which looks to be straight forward, what kind of has me a bit hanged up is doing all the achievements (or whatever they're called) for each Pokemon. Catch 25 members of that species, catch them while not being noticed, catch 10 Pokemon which have a height/weight difference which you'll only know if the game tells you, see the Pokemon do this move 20 times, and this move 15 times, and Strong/Agile Moves 15 times, knock out this species of Pokemon with this Type move 20 times. And then there's some categories I don't even know what to do like feeding them. I haven't even fought Kleavor yet but I have 4 stars and my team are in the low 30s, I'm not sure if that's any indication of... anything.

Though, don't mistake my hesitation, I am having fun! I really like exploring (especially going into places where I'm obviously not supposed to go to yet but I gotta see if there's rare treasure), gathering resources (lesser on the managing part though I haven't gotten to any point where I'm struggling for supplies, though I wish the iron pieces needed to make Great Balls was more abundant). And catching/battling Pokemon is fun, especially when you get a back shot... it's just that you gotta do it a lot of times which I feel is a bit overkill.

Oh, BTW, got something interesting: A Shiny Wurmple. Yup, Shiny Pokemon are in the game!

And the blurbs from the website
Decidueye
Made Sturdy by Hisui’s Harsh Environment
Hisuian Decidueye has evolved to be fierce and stalwart in order to survive in the region’s harsh environments. It doesn’t have a set territory. Instead, it goes wandering in search of food to survive. Unlike in its previously discovered appearance, it tends to deliberately engage in close-range combat to overpower opponents. However, it seems to tolerate those that do not display hostility toward it.

Its Powerful Legs Deliver Mighty Blows!
Decidueye’s legs are extremely powerful, so much so that it can knock trees down and shatter boulders with the power of its kicks. Its signature strategy is to fly toward opponents to deliver a kick, then follow up with a flurry of attacks with the arrow quills hidden in its wings.
Typhlosion
A Laid-Back Pokémon
In addition to having graceful and refined movements, Hisuian Typhlosion has a very relaxed disposition and can often be seen staring into space. At such times, it is thought to be looking at the flow of life energy and spirits. It will occasionally eat wayward spirits, but it’s believed that spirits consumed this way are then purified by the Pokémon’s flames and returned to where they belong.

It Attacks Using Its 108 Ghost Flames
Hisuian Typhlosion is usually gentle and pacifistic. However, once angered, it loses control of its emotions and incinerates opponents until not even ashes remain. It emits ghost flames—said to number as many as 108—from the fires around its neck. These flames all attack the opponent, adopting the countenance of ferocious beasts.
Samurott
A Pokémon with a Cold and Heartless Nature
While Samurott’s previously discovered appearance is known to fight fair, Hisuian Samurott is cold and heartless, and is willing to do anything in order to win. It is usually still and silent, but if an opponent approaches, Hisuian Samurott will thrust at it with its seamitars faster than the eye can see.

Using Tricky Movements to Make Sport of Its Opponents
Hisuian Samurott specializes in tricky tactics like surprise attacks and cheap shots in battle. Its fierce, rapid attacks—delivered with dual-wielded seamitars that strike like torrents of waves crashing together—are a sight to behold. It is said that wounds from these attacks will not heal for many years.
Dialga Origin
This is the true appearance of Dialga, the Legendary Pokémon that is said to control time. Dialga has the power to warp, destroy, and create time itself. The flow of time is said to be in constant flux in the world where Origin Forme Dialga resides, always moving in different directions and different speeds.
Palkia Origin
This is the true appearance of Palkia, the Legendary Pokémon that is said to control space. Palkia has the power to warp, destroy, and create space itself. They say that the very space in the world where Origin Forme Palkia resides is in shreds, as if it had been torn to ribbons.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
>The flow of time is said to be in constant flux in the world where Origin Forme Dialga resides, always moving in different directions and different speeds.
>They say that the very space in the world where Origin Forme Palkia resides is in shreds, as if it had been torn to ribbons.

What?! The DP Dragons have their own equivalents to the Distortion World? And this is never seen or even alluded to in-game?!!?!

Either this is one of the worst instances of "tell don't show" this series has ever concocted or this is a DLC hook. Such a bizarre thing to add to their lore if it doesn't go anywhere...

>The flow of time is said to be in constant flux in the world where Origin Forme Dialga resides, always moving in different directions and different speeds.
>They say that the very space in the world where Origin Forme Palkia resides is in shreds, as if it had been torn to ribbons.

What?! The DP Dragons have their own equivalents to the Distortion World? And this is never seen or even alluded to in-game?!!?!

Either this is one of the worst instances of "tell don't show" this series has ever concocted or this is a DLC hook. Such a bizarre thing to add to their lore if it doesn't go anywhere...
No they've absolutely implied this before. When they emerge from the portals its not necessarily the same portals where Arceus or Giratina reside.
In Platinum in particular their portals even have different coloring and flavor text.

It's also possible they both reside within the same world, and the descriptions of these apply to both.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Platinum itself also implied that they live in their own alternate worlds. When you are able to catch them at Spear Pillar post-game they appear in small portals where you can see another world from such portals before you meet them in battle: Dialga has its own world, and Palkia also has its own, but back then in Platinum you just saw a glimpse of those worlds from a portal/crystal viewpoint. Even the anime canon has aligned with this idea that they both have their own worlds that they reside in.

That being said, however, it does also seem to be strongly implied that unlike Giratina's Distortion World, the dimensions Dialga and Palkia reside in are impossible for humans to traverse in, let alone enter it themselves. There is likely no way for any human to reasonably live in such worlds or be able to travel through them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)