Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Ah man yesterday was such a great day, the trailer definitely cleared up a lot of my concerns with this game, and what interests me the most right now is the plot and how will the game connect to the Sinnoh that we know.

Talking about the general length of the main story and the post game that it might have it seems that there will be a lot of room to mess around and 100% complete as there are a ton of mini objectives like defeating mons with a specific move and in general a lot of side missions to complete the dex, for specific notable events I really only see us investigating the Regigigas ruins and maybe encountering Heatran or Shaymin but not much more than that.

The main story also seems rather short cus as is it looks like we get hired by team galaxy proceed to toy around a bit completing the dex, then the violent pokemon appear which we have to stop and go and ask Arceus for help or smth. I do wish that something from the likes of Cylenne placing her ideas on the rest of team galaxy and displacing Kamado as the leader leading to the foundation of Team Galactic happens but even that won't take too long. I specifically say this cus of
Captura de Pantalla 2021-08-19 a la(s) 17.27.20.png

So apparently it takes two hours to unlock the mystery gift and (presumably) the trading. which that might or might not be the end of the main story, it could also be when the game stops holding your hand but before the story ends. we will probably not know until the game coms out so oh well.
LETS FUCKING GOOOOO, I HAVE BEEN IN A SEVERE GLISCOR DEPRIVATION SINCE 2019 AND NOW THE BOY IS FREEEEEEE
Captura de Pantalla 2021-08-19 a la(s) 17.35.16.png

I'm no game design expert but designing this massive open sprawling version of Sinnoh only to have a story that is the same length as the average SWSH DLC sounds like a terrible idea on several levels that they just wouldn't do
I agree, all the mainline games are much longer than two hours and this game costs more than every pre-SwSh mainline game.

So apparently it takes two hours to unlock the mystery gift and (presumably) the trading. which that might or might not be the end of the main story, it could also be when the game stops holding your hand but before the story ends. we will probably not know until the game coms out so oh well.
Regarding gameplay time for BDSP, the website estimates 10 hours till Solaceon Town.
View attachment 365782
While Legends is a different game, 2 hours to me sounds like getting past the tutorial part of the game while also engaging in features at a normal pace. My guess is once you get fully settled in Jubilife Village after story introductions.

Regarding gameplay time for BDSP, the website estimates 10 hours till Solaceon Town.
View attachment 365782
While Legends is a different game, 2 hours to me sounds like getting past the tutorial part of the game while also engaging in features at a normal pace. My guess is once you get fully settled in Jubilife Village after story introductions.
BDSP also estimates 2 hours until unlocking Mystery Gift, which is in Jubilife TV, incidentally

BDSP also estimates 2 hours until unlocking Mystery Gift, which is in Jubilife TV, incidentally
So will Akari/Rei's home be somewhere around where Twinleaf Town was in DPPt?
EDIT: My prediction is that this game will be about 1.5-2 times the length of DPPt, since it's open world and all and has the new mechanics.

Last time this was thread was open I discussed Pokemon that may come into conflict with the time period and as such may be omitted from the dex, namely Rotom and the Porygon family. Since then I've thought of some more Pokemon who may fall into this criteria.

Rampardos
Bastiodon

The fossils may very well be goners. I was initially thinking they could justify them still being in the wild but then I looked deeper into the lore and realized these dudes' heyday dates back to hundreds of millions of years ago. I guess they could tuck in a hideaway in Mt. Coronet somewhere, but otherwise with technology to revive fossils not being around yet it's bye bye for these guys.
I'm still hoping for a few fossil mons that aren't fossilized yet to show up. I know it's not an actual thing with the timeline, but I don't care, it would be a really cool take on the 'regional form' mechanic if we got Bug/Water Kabuto or Normal/Flying Archen running around somewhere.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Man I can't wait for reviewers to start comparing this game to Dark Souls after getting their ass killed by the local Shinx

On that note, I wonder how the player's "resistance" to wild mons will come into play in the adventure - Whether it's going to scale up so you can take hits from stronger mons as your adventure progresses, or if youjust stay with the same resistance for the whole game. Personally think the later would be more interesting, as it would mean getting close to more dangerous mons or areas will require a little bit more skill than when you were first starting on early areas.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Something I haven't seen anyone talk much about is the Heavy Balls. Sure, their new use is neat in game, but think about what else this means. Easily obtainable Heavy Balls. We'll probably be able to transfer from this game to main games. Even if we can't transfer to Gen 8, why wouldn't we be able to transfer to Gen 9? (Please don't say Game Freak Logic. Let me have hope.)

Ah man yesterday was such a great day, the trailer definitely cleared up a lot of my concerns with this game, and what interests me the most right now is the plot and how will the game connect to the Sinnoh that we know.

Talking about the general length of the main story and the post game that it might have it seems that there will be a lot of room to mess around and 100% complete as there are a ton of mini objectives like defeating mons with a specific move and in general a lot of side missions to complete the dex, for specific notable events I really only see us investigating the Regigigas ruins and maybe encountering Heatran or Shaymin but not much more than that.

The main story also seems rather short cus as is it looks like we get hired by team galaxy proceed to toy around a bit completing the dex, then the violent pokemon appear which we have to stop and go and ask Arceus for help or smth. I do wish that something from the likes of Cylenne placing her ideas on the rest of team galaxy and displacing Kamado as the leader leading to the foundation of Team Galactic happens but even that won't take too long. I specifically say this cus of
View attachment 366132
LETS FUCKING GOOOOO, I HAVE BEEN IN A SEVERE GLISCOR DEPRIVATION SINCE 2019 AND NOW THE BOY IS FREEEEEEE
View attachment 366134
We don't have close to enough info to assume there's next to no story yet, but even if there is, not a lot of story doesn't mean the game will be short or small. Breath of the Wild lets you run right to the final boss from the start but would you call that game short? (Somehow maybe not the best example for once because you're not supposed to Leroy Ganon.) Even if the game is short, it looks like there will be a ton to explore, and the Pokedex if you're interested in it, which would mean tons of post game if most of it isn't already in the main game.

Also, I feel you with Gliscor. I've never used it before, but I've been wanted to play with it. One Pokemon that's coming back I've used before and don't think I'll use again is Staraptor. I'm glad just because I want to see its streak of being band from UU in every generation keep going! You probably won't have to wait until January though. They have got to be in BDSP. (Then we wait for the Pokebank update, so after January anyway?)

Man I can't wait for reviewers to start comparing this game to Dark Souls after getting their ass killed by the local Shinx
Well, we did get a giant wolf with a sword, this generation, so...

While I'm on a less serious note, I showed my mom Basculegion and I couldn't believe what she said. "It looks like a fishing lure that was run over by a lawn mower." Fishing lure, I see that. Lawn mower? Lol, but how'd she get that out of a draconic looking fish? And then she called Basculin cute...

Something I haven't seen anyone talk much about is the Heavy Balls. Sure, their new use is neat in game, but think about what else this means. Easily obtainable Heavy Balls. We'll probably be able to transfer from this game to main games. Even if we can't transfer to Gen 8, why wouldn't we be able to transfer to Gen 9? (Please don't say Game Freak Logic. Let me have hope.)
I assume you're not talking about the Heavy Ball items, right? Since those wouldn't be transferrable.

Are you insinuating that the color scheme of this beastly 3 meter-long amalgam of dead souls is based on salmon boners
Basculegion's name is something like "Great Salmon" in japan and more specifically is referencing a specific breed of japanese salmon and also the entire origin is going up stream....which slamon do to spawn.

So yes.

CTNC

I assume you're not talking about the Heavy Ball items, right? Since those wouldn't be transferrable.
Yeah, I know you can't transfer items. I'm talking about Pokemon in Heavy Balls. I'm going to catch so many Steel types with them!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Yeah, I know you can't transfer items. I'm talking about Pokemon in Heavy Balls. I'm going to catch so many Steel types with them!
Heavy Balls are confirmed to work differently in Legends. They give you a bonus on a "sneak" capture, which is not the same as their later bonus. The ball is literally Heavy, as you can't throw it as far as a normal ball, but presumably has a better capture rate.

What this means for the ball information is anyone's guess. But the difference in mechanics does seem intriguing.

View attachment 365782
It is likely after Cyllene inducts the player as an official member of the Galaxy Expedition Team, after the player proves their mettle and successfully completes their first survey missions (i.e. tutorials).

I do need to note that historically, the Ainu people suffered some very serious discrimination from the Japanese government, very akin to how the US and Canada treated their native citizens, stuff like forced cultural assimilation that has almost destroyed their language, forced labor camps for the purpose of commercial fishing, etc. While Pokemon games aren't totally unafraid to broach dark subject matter, this discrimination of the Ainu specifically started in the Meji restoration, aka the time period of this game, so I wonder how they'll treat that, or if they'll just ignore it.
It'd better be addressed in some form, otherwise the next Legends game might as well be set in an Unovan old west where the heroic cowboys tame a wild and unpopulated land while fending off the evil bloodthirsty natives

whether Gamefreak manages to pull off setting a game in such a controversial time period while acknowledging the atrocities committed on the Ainu and keeping things family friendly remains to be seen
but that said incidents such as Creatures Inc. visiting the Yasukuni shrine, a place noted for denying any wrongdoing from the japanese during WWII raises a few red flags

Last edited:

CTNC

Heavy Balls are confirmed to work differently in Legends. They give you a bonus on a "sneak" capture, which is not the same as their later bonus. The ball is literally Heavy, as you can't throw it as far as a normal ball, but presumably has a better capture rate.

What this means for the ball information is anyone's guess. But the difference in mechanics does seem intriguing.
I didn't miss that. How do I keep saying things that make it seem like I'm missing obvious stuff? I don't care about how effective they are. I just care about how cool they look and they're a perfect match for most Steel types.

It'd better be addressed in some form, otherwise the next Legends game might as well be set in an Unovan old west where the heroic cowboys tame a wild and unpopulated land while fending off the evil bloodthirsty natives
I can't help but feel this is an exaggeration. Unless they shamelessly unapologetically don't care or something like that, I don't see how that could ever happen.
whether Gamefreak manages to pull off setting a game in such a controversial time period while acknowledging the atrocities committed on the Ainu and keeping things family friendly remains to be seen
but that said incidents such as Creatures Inc. visiting the Yasukuni shrine, a place noted for denying any wrongdoing from the japanese during WWII raises a few red flags
Wait, what? *vomits* What the fuck?! I suddenly hope this game fails just so we don't get cowboy Unova...

I thought a Legends game about the Tao Trio or Kyurem would be cool but I just realized Unova is based off of America...and I don't think we need anything related to America's past

Maybe a Legends Necrozma instead no more Legends games

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)