SPOILERS! Pokemon Legends: Arceus *Leak Thread*

Besides, even if we knew it, these movesets are going to be limited to this specific game and might not be representative of their *actual* movesets once gen 9 comes.
Yeah, there is just about zero reason to fret or celebrate over move and moveset changes in LoA. It has a completely different battle system, a drastically cut Pokedex and movedex, and zero pvp to speak of. I wouldn't even trust the new mechanical changes as exciting as the prospect of frostbite replacing freeze is. We probably won't have definitive answers until the Gen 9 promotion season begins. At the very least, wait until people can transfer stuff to Home.

Seems weird to have the type being common as a drawback unique to Decidueye-H, when regular Decidueye isn't even the most interesting gen 7 grass/ghost with a signature trapping move.
It's a weakness for both but it feels Decidueye could at least go toe to toe with Dhelmise and generally outperform Trevenant and Gourgeist. Meanwhile for H-Decidueye has Virizion, Chesnaught, Breloom, and H-Lilligant and I'm not sure it has anything that would let it stand apart from them either offensively or defensively.

I want to give the snake on Therian pets

So given the full moveset release, which starter is purported to be the best?
H-Typhlosion is the most promising. Its signature move is nutty. Its only issues are Focus Blast getting cut and Gengar/H-Zoroark being in the game.

H-Samurott is pretty nice. Basically the Samurott statline everyone wanted the first time around. It's better than (no ability) Basculegion.

H-Decidueye is such an enigma that I wrote a whole post about it. It's like if you took Breloom and made it worse.

H-Typhlosion is the most promising. Its signature move is nutty. Its only issues are Focus Blast getting cut and Gengar/H-Zoroark being in the game.

H-Samurott is pretty nice. Basically the Samurott statline everyone wanted the first time around. It's better than (no ability) Basculegion.

H-Decidueye is such an enigma that I wrote a whole post about it. It's like if you took Breloom and made it worse.
Yeah this is my general feeling about the starters this time around. I'll probably take Oshawott on my first playthrough despite generally be a fire or grass type enjoyer. But I want to avoid Typhlosion because I want to try H-Arcanine and H-Zoroark which cover the same types. But Decidueye it's just because I don't think it will be that good

Speaking of hisuian starters, the hisui starter that got buffed the most is definitely Samurott. 15 points of speed and having 108 attack instead of special attack is massive for swords dance sets. I could see Hisui Samurott being a great RU mon to be honest, because 85 speed is just that big of a buff.
I could see both Samurott and Typhlosion both working in RU. I think Typhlosion got the better signature move and had the better ability. While Samurott got the better improvements to his stat line

We already know decidueye gets roost and flying coverage, so right off the bat it can 1 vs 1 any other grass fighting type. If it gets access to bulk up i can see it being simillar to offensive chesnaught in theory

We already know decidueye gets roost and flying coverage, so right off the bat it can 1 vs 1 any other grass fighting type. If it gets access to bulk up i can see it being simillar to offensive chesnaught in theory
This is true but I still think a grass fighting 1v1 is the least of it's worries. The main issue will likely remain opposing flying types and I think Breloom and Chesnaught have better ways to turn the tables on them than Decidueye. I will say it's access to sucker punch is probably it's biggest boon.

this has to be the result of a bring your child to work day

edit: yea decidueye seems not viable at all. it became slower to become tankier, but it doesnt have a good typing and only gets medium bulk after the stat shift. grass fighting is not a good typing offensively or defensively. unless youre comparing it to the likes of rock ice defensively and bug grass offensively. they really stole away its best feature

I feel bad that I can't bring myself to like Decidueye more. In both cases I just find myself gravitating to his starter competition since they both seem generally stronger while I like them visually just as much. And unlike Alola it feels like H-Decidueye has even more working against it. Where both of the other Hisuian starters feel like they are at least improving on the base form. While Decidueye has to worry about getting outclassed by both the other starters and the far more populous grass/fighting typing
It got power-crept by H-Lilligant, a Grass/Fighting Type introduced in the same game! I can't even say Triple Arrow might redeem Decidueye because Lilligant possibly has Victory Dance, which could turn in to Physical Quiver Dance in regular battling.

So I feel like Ursaluna will be good in PLA but it might be a lot better in gen 9. It lost access to what will probably be it's best STAB moves in Earthquake and Facade.
Edit: The only potential boon Decidueye has is coverage but Victory Dance, Spore, Bulletproof/Spiky Shield and a legendary statline might mean that benefit doesn't matter

this has to be the result of a bring your child to work day

edit: yea decidueye seems not viable at all. it became slower to become tankier, but it doesnt have a good typing and only gets medium bulk after the stat shift. grass fighting is not a good typing offensively or defensively. unless youre comparing it to the likes of rock ice defensively and bug grass offensively. they really stole away its best feature
I guess after 25 years you're bound to have new Pokémon that are just outclassed by previous stuff. Maybe GF views dexit as the solution to design choices. "We can't design some Pokémon the way we want because others of the same type exist now"

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
I usually like the new gen designs. With the exception of the calyrex base horses I overall liked gen8. But some (most??) of the mons are so ugly this time round Im left wondering if the design team got replaced or something. Enamorous (both forms but especially therian), palkia/dialga forms, electrode, qwilfish deviantart recolor, sneasel deviantart recolor, and liligant are all hideous designs. im guessing fans of typhlosion and samurott are feeling pretty let down by their recolors too. sneasler looks like something from a 5NAF game. I guess in general regional forms arent always exciting but these ones are all the absolute worst out of all regionals.

That being said Im interested to see how they perform in their respective tiers
I completely agree on the Gen 8 part. I think this is one of the cleanest gen so far.

Don't know if anyone's documented the evolution methods yet.
Kleavor > Black Augurite (Don't know if it's any more specific than this.)
Ursaluna > Peat Block in Crimson Mirelands during a full moon.
Basculegion Red Stripe > Use Agile Wave Crash 17 times
Basculegion Blue Stripe > Use Strong Wave Crash 3 times (Not 100% on this one, mine evolved quickly after using the regular one a bunch)
Wyrdeer > Use Agile Psyshield Bash 20 times
Overqwil > Use Strong Barb Barrage 20 times
Electrode-H > Use a Leaf Stone
Goodra and Arcanine were unchanged.

Basculegion might be losing a certain threshold of HP with those moves with the respective style. I was killing much higher level mons with the female than I was the male, which explains why it took longer.

Last edited:
I feel that point would hold more weight if they didn't also make H-Lilligant in the same game.
It's like a Spearow/Doduo situation. The key point you're not thinking is in-game balance. Rowlet is available wayyyyyy earlier than Petilil. That's its niche. It ain't much tbh because lol Grass, but...

Honestly, none of the starters look that hot to me. Apparently Dewott lost Razor Shell, Cyndaquil was never all that and in this game you get a sidequest Shiny Ponyta and a Chimchar, so there's plenty of competition. If it gets Wisp early, I can see it working though.

It's a weakness for both but it feels Decidueye could at least go toe to toe with Dhelmise and generally outperform Trevenant and Gourgeist. Meanwhile for H-Decidueye has Virizion, Chesnaught, Breloom, and H-Lilligant and I'm not sure it has anything that would let it stand apart from them either offensively or defensively.
You're mostly right, but H-Decidueye has one niche over the other Grass/Fightings: Long Reach. Being able to throw off STAB Close Combats while not having to worry about Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, Static, Flame Body, Effect Spore, etc is a pretty neat trait for a mostly contact-based physical attacker. That being said, I don't see even this making H-Decidueye a more consistent pick than something like Breloom or Virizion.

Basculegion Blue Stripe > Use Strong Wave Crash 3 times (Not 100% on this one, mine evolved quickly after using the regular one a bunch)
ngl i'm quite a fan of this sort of evo methods.

It's something that can actually happen naturally or you can aim for.

The "happen naturally" is probably something that would work very well for kids too, I can picture a random 10 year old playing <insert pokemon game> and having his poke evolving right after the battle without having leveled up and they go like Pog

You're mostly right, but H-Decidueye has one niche over the other Grass/Fightings: Long Reach. Being able to throw off STAB Close Combats while not having to worry about Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, Static, Flame Body, Effect Spore, etc is a pretty neat trait for a mostly contact-based physical attacker. That being said, I don't see even this making H-Decidueye a more consistent pick than something like Breloom or Virizion.
That's also particularly notable when it comes to actual Smogon, where running stuff like Static or Flame Body on common walls like Zapdos or Moltres (and even Heatran! I'd never have expected that to see plau) specifically to punish the plethora of phisical pokemon and U-Turn spamming in higher tiers is normal.

I don't quite need to say how important it is to not get ruined by a burn on a phisical attacker (and paralysis isn't exactly welcome either).

Regular Decidueye was often going special, and one of his main stabs doesnt make contact anyway, so it rarely ever would make use of Long Reach (still does, a bit, if using U-turn and Leaf Blade or its priority moves)

Obviously we're still talking of a pokemon with stats that probably dont quite make the OU / VGC standards, but you never know, expecially if by any chance it makes it into the next limited pokedex format. Long Reach may be not as spectacular as Intimidate or Liquid Voice that the other gen 7 starters got, but it's still a decent ability for a phisical attacker.

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
Don't know if anyone's documented the evolution methods yet.
Kleavor > Black Augurite (Don't know if it's any more specific than this.)
Ursaluna > Peat Block in Crimson Mirelands during a full moon.
Electrode-H > Use a Leaf Stone
Goodra and Arcanine were unchanged.

Basculegion might be losing a certain threshold of HP with those moves with the respective style. I was killing much higher level mons with the female than I was the male, which explains why it took longer.
Hey, putting them on the doc rn !

It's like a Spearow/Doduo situation. The key point you're not thinking is in-game balance. Rowlet is available wayyyyyy earlier than Petilil. That's its niche. It ain't much tbh because lol Grass, but...

Honestly, none of the starters look that hot to me. Apparently Dewott lost Razor Shell, Cyndaquil was never all that and in this game you get a sidequest Shiny Ponyta and a Chimchar, so there's plenty of competition. If it gets Wisp early, I can see it working though.
Oshawott is helped by the fact it got better stat line than normal. And generally the water type starters are always fine. And Cyndaquil got a lot of buffs just from the ghost typing and the signature move.
Edit: I'll admit Decidueye has more positives than I gave it credit for with long reach, triple arrows, flying coverage, roost and sucker punch. I just still think it might not be enough.

Last edited:
I guess after 25 years you're bound to have new Pokémon that are just outclassed by previous stuff. Maybe GF views dexit as the solution to design choices. "We can't design some Pokémon the way we want because others of the same type exist now"
I dont mind it when that happens. Most mons are outclassed every gen. Just a lil sad cus I got used to the power of gen8 starters with good stat distributions and usable abilities haha. Decidueye has a pretty sad stat line and it got worse.
That being said if Triple Arrows works in pvp the way its written (grass type(?) thunderous kick with built in focus energy) then perhaps it'll have something going for it in the low tiers. That defense drop crit combination is the same damage multiplier as Sniper ability, so at least there's something there.

Yeah, there is just about zero reason to fret or celebrate over move and moveset changes in LoA. It has a completely different battle system, a drastically cut Pokedex and movedex, and zero pvp to speak of. I wouldn't even trust the new mechanical changes as exciting as the prospect of frostbite replacing freeze is. We probably won't have definitive answers until the Gen 9 promotion season begins. At the very least, wait until people can transfer stuff to Home.
I am kinda hoping Frostbite replaces Freeze since that's easier to balance and could be given higher proc rates... but odds are it is there just 'cus Freeze doesn't work too well with the battle system Legends has and won't be used elsewhere. Pity.

That and at nearly 1000+ Pokemon things are probably a bit hard to manage elsewhere too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)