Pokemon Masters

300 gems is 3 scout points, you need a total of 40000 gems for the free pick.
Yeah, looks like I won't get there then. Sitting on 180 scour points and have got back to 8k gems since I had to spend all I had to get Red. Makes up for getting Steven on my second roll I suppose.

Ngl, I really want them to increase the item cap, feeling the pressure to use the limit break materials on pairs that I kind of don't want to use them on. In any case, Alakazam scout and the ghost-type training event are on, as well as the new round of Battle Villa, including three sets of Bingo Missions for that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wait a second, is it explained why Guzma and Plumeria are dressed in their old Team Skull style:

Instead of how they looked at the end of the games when they disbanded:

While I know the game takes art from all over the series, this one is kind of a significant change. Its like if they had Lillie dressed in her Nihilego clothing instead of her Z-Powered clothes.

Wait a second, is it explained why Guzma and Plumeria are dressed in their old Team Skull style:

Instead of how they looked at the end of the games when they disbanded:

While I know the game takes art from all over the series, this one is kind of a significant change. Its like if they had Lillie dressed in her Nihilego clothing instead of her Z-Powered clothes.
I assume they just wanted their more iconic looks rather than their post game easy-to-miss redesigns.

See also: using Iris' standard outfit and not her Champion outfit.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
See also: using Iris' standard outfit and not her Champion outfit.
Well that makes sense since her Champion outfit is meant to be showy. You even see during her cameo in Castelia City she doesn't go around dressed like that.

(Left: BW overworld sprite)(Right: BW2 overworld sprite)

But she is still a Champion in Masters, if they give her a Synga Suit it'll probably be her Champion outfit.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
postgame clearly just isn't canon

Alternatively, Masters is taking a stand about how removal of tattoos to the degree SM postgame presents is unrealistic, or that the idea that Guzma and Plumeria would be ashamed of their Team Skull actions and so cover it up is out of character, or they're just from a time before they got rid of their stuff affiliating them with Team Skull.

More realistically, it's because the Team Skull look is what people expect from their appearance, so their "standard" outfits are that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Silver's Sync partner is Ho-Oh?! Jeez, talk about an upgrade, Silver went from a kid who stole his first Pokemon to now having a Legendary choose him as a partner.

Battle Villa got tedious real quick. It's been RNG-resetting every day now. Not worth the time if not for the gems tbh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Serebii said:
The next Legendary Event, New World Dilemma, has been announced for Pokémon Masters. This event features a story about the head of Team Galactic, Cyrus and allows for you to form a Sync Pair of Cyrus & Palkia. It's expected to arrive in a few days.
Umm... isn't this a bad thing Cyrus controls Palkia? Cyrus never reformed, after his plans were foiled he just ragequit and swore he'd become a god and recreate the world one day and vanished (or in Platinum's case stayed in the Distortion World).

This
Umm... isn't this a bad thing Cyrus controls Palkia? Cyrus never reformed, after his plans were foiled he just ragequit and swore he'd become a god and recreate the world one day and vanished (or in Platinum's case stayed in the Distortion World).
seems to be Rainboe Rocket Cyrus, and yes it is bad, which is why the next event is called New World Dilemma.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I... didn't know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't this. Yes, I know her SS partner is Kommo-o, that doesn't explain the hair.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
glad to see cynthia realized who the superior pseudo-legendary is
So datamine spoilers will be below in hide but for context let's talk about the metagame of masters really quick.

First - Red is still absolutely one of the most broken characters largely because he's completely self sufficient and incredible at clearing content. His damage ceiling is incredibly high, he provides his own necessary buffs, he doesn't eat up bar due to MGR4 and a speed boost, and he's able to both focus fire for high level content and AOE for farming (even though farming is now almost completely obsolete with the advent of skip tickets). Broken, extremely strong, able to be utilized for all content without relying on any other teammates (though Sun Charizard is silly damage).

Second - Cynthia is more reliant on sync move level to open up her grid and mandates Acerola (or I guess the new Kabutops but why you would use that instead of Acerola I have no idea) but in an ideal team she is better than Red for challenging content. Period. Her damage ceiling is through the roof alongside regenerating gauge at an amazing clip under sand. She makes up for Acerola's lack of damage by providing it with nuclear aplomb, allowing Acerola to shine in her niche of proving flinch is broken. Acerola with her 51% flinch Astonish can lock down enemies for the entire match and (since 1 cost move) helps Cynthia build up sync quickly AND buffs her even more with each use of Sandstorm AND has sandstorm refresh which makes it drastically better for longform content compared to sun. High investment Cynthia is better than Red in my eyes. Note that Cynthia outside sand is still quite good she's just not nearly as good.

Third - Serena, with full understanding of the game's mechanics and some very minor luck, wins against anything that is not immune to sleep. It is very possible to 0 damage Battle Villa with her (with resetting for MP refresh activations). It definitely requires strong understanding of how sleep works in masters in order to constantly lock down an enemy team but she's absolutely stupid when that's achieved.

Pretty much everything else is a slightly worse version of these three. There's some niche stuff out there but it's rare that you can't achieve an equal or better result with one of these three - and most of the time the one getting outperformed is Red because he's basics taken to an extreme.

SS Cynthia is AoE taken to an extreme, but with a 4 bar move. It's worth noting that Clanging Scales compared to Blast Burn is ever so slightly weaker (and of course can't be boosted by weather) so against single enemies Red will outdamage. SSynthia also has an irrelevant move just like her normal version.

Her base stats are alright. She's got a lot of damage but is somewhat sluggish out the gate and her bulk is nothing to write home about.

Her trainer moves are decent enough but do strongly want team support. Cynthia's main way of buffing herself is through sync moving, meaning she wants Rotom support so badly or she has to rely on MP refresh on her single use Eyes on the Prize (KEEP IN MIND: REQUIRES 3/5). She's got a good rank on it at least. Her main buffing really does come from High Five sync move, but realistically it's not a fast enough buff unless you double up on it with her grid (which again needs 3/5).

Her grid is good but has a catch. She's got 3 incredibly desirable things: doubling up on High Five, EotP MP Refresh, and the two Clanging Scales MGR. She can have two. Also all three of them require sync grid 3/5.
(she can also probably do a gimmicky sync nuke build but why)

In the end she's good, don't get me wrong, but there's flat out not much reason to use her over Red and her damage ceiling isn't as high as normal Cynthia while also running into a whole bunch more in the way of gauge issues. At least Red boosts his Speed, is almost completely unreliant on teammates for buffing, and can grid to fix any gauge issues Blast Burn has. SSynthia is unlikely to break into the top ranks of sync pairs.

tl;dr garchomp>kommo-o babee

Huge update, hope you guys are ready
  • 6* EX Sync Pairs will be introduced, with Sync Moves even stronger than 5*
  • 6 stars will be able to unlock and change their outfits
  • Game's name will be changed to Pokemon Masters EX
  • Champion Stadium will be introduced, starting with the Kanto elite 4 and Blue. Begins August 27th
  • Normal Champion's cup has fixed weaknesses, Hard will change weaknesses weekly
  • Synga Suit Cynthia is available as a Poke Fair
  • New World Dilema Event is under way, Featuring Cyrus and Palkia
  • Latios Legendary Event launches Auguest 19th
  • Training with Legends solo event launches August 27th
  • Grass/Water/Fire Egg event launches September 2nd, with a chance to get Kanto starters that have different moves than the ones gifted earlier
  • Family Ties story event launches September 9th, featuring Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine
  • Synga Suits and Seasonal outfits will be increased in production thanks to fan demand; next seasonal is Halloween
  • 3k free gems on August 27th for everyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)