Let's Play! Pokemon Moon w/Oddish

Approved by Codraroll

moon.jpg

Hello friends. I'm surprised no one else has done this yet, but I've had this idea in mind for a while. As the title states, I am going to do a blind Let's Play of Pokemon Moon, providing commentary and personal thoughts along the way. My plan is to come out with a full review of the game when I'm finished, using a x/10 system. However, it doesn't just have to be about me. I love discussion, so I highly encourage others to post their own thoughts as they progress, and we can compare and contrast our viewpoints.

Part 1: Beginnings

Openings are important, no matter what the medium. As any English teacher has probably drilled into your head, the opening of a story is what gets the reader interested in coming back for more. When you open a story strongly, you set the reader/audience/player's expectations that the rest what they're about to experience will be just as strong.

Pokemon games usually start, in my opinion, relatively strong. You guys are familiar with those montages at the beginning of every Pokemon game. They suck us in by showing us glimpses of their world. Pokemon in battle, areas to explore, and let's not forget that ever so nostalgic theme.

So I was incredibly surprised that to see that this game doesn't start off like that. Instead, we are taken right to the part where the professor introduces us to the Pokemon world. My memory is foggy, so don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time the series has done this. Personally, I was a little disappointed. My tradition is to always sit through those montages when I first start the game.

However, that's not to say that this game starts out poorly. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised to hear what I've already decided is one of my favorite tracks during my talk with Professor Kukui. This song perfectly sets the tone for Alola, and I definitely found myself willing to see what's in store all because of it. Music is a powerful tool, friends.

Of course, the game goes on to ask me the basic questions we've all come to expect at the beginning of a Pokemon game.

trainerav.jpg

Trainer Info
Name: Bianca
Pokemon: None

There's brief cutscene of Lillie running away from Aether Foundation employees. Somehow, I didn't find this surprising. Maybe it's because the Aether Foundation is definitely gonna be the main villain. I mean, I haven't played far enough to truly know that yet, but...come on.

Also, the Pokemon in Lillie's bag is Cosmog, calling it now.

Back to the player. This part is basic introductions. I meet my mom, my Meowth, and my region's hunk professor.

It was at this point in time when my dad brought me Chinese food. And fries from McDonald's. And a chocolate chip cookie from Subway! I didn't even ask for the latter two. Men out there, take note. See how happy women get when you give them food without them having to ask? Excuse me for a moment.

And I'm back!
hat.jpg

Thanks. I saw that Glove World episode of Spongebob and knew I had to have it.

mom.jpg

In a world like this, it'd practically be blasphemy for her not to approve of her teenage daughter venturing into the world on her own with one level 5 Pokemon.

So, is it time to get my starter Pokemon? Nope!

Instead, I have to go meet the Kahuna, who will give me my starter. Except the Kahuna isn't there, so I have to find him.

kahuna.jpg

Oh man, thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I would've found him otherwise.

nosun.jpg

Oh, have I got some news for you. (As a side note, the music during this part is very soothing. I love it. I also enjoy the sounds of Pokemon in the background. I think it makes the world feel more alive.)

Except the Kahuna is nowhere to be found, so we find Lillie instead, whose Cosmog is being attacked by a couple of Spearow (a potential nod to the first episode of the anime?)

cosmog.jpg

Am I a prophet or am I prophet

So of course Lillie is a little bitch who can't save her Pokemon, and I have to do it for her. Now, in past Pokemon games when I was suddenly thrust into situation in which I was supposed to be a defender (Pokemon RSE and DP), this would be the part where I get my starter Pokemon. What I expected was the Kahuna coming out of nowhere, telling me about how it's dangerous to fight without a Pokemon, and letting me choose one of the starters. What I got was a teenage girl running across an unstable bridge to defend a Cosmog with her body. And then this happens:

brokenbridge.jpg

It's going down, I'm yelling timber~

Yikes. Kudos to Game Freak, I was legitimately taken aback by this. Luckily, I was saved by the island deity itself.

tapukoko.jpg

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Tapu Koko!

I also didn't expect to meet the island guardian this early. Lillie gives you a "sparkling stone" for saving Cosmog (aka the Z crystal).

Now can I get my Pokemon? Actually, yes!

I met up with the professor again with Lillie in tow. It's here that I'm finally introduced to the Kahuna, who was doing...Kahuna shit, and he's impressed that I saved Cosmog and Tapu Koko came to my aid. He decides that you are worthy of owning a Pokemon. But not before a cutscene in which my Pokemon also has to decide whether or not it chooses me. My apologies go out to anyone who must soft reset. Also, it took Game Freak 20 years to decide that Pokemon consent matters, apparently. But just my starter's. Everything else is fair game.
rowlet.jpg

COME TO ME MY PRECIOUS POTATO OWL

After getting to choose my starter, Professor Kukui gave me my Pokedex and trainer passport. I also noticed that the Pokemon Refresh feature became available.

Team
1. Robin (Rowlet)/Level 5/Male - This nickname way or may not change, depending on whether or not I find a better one.
Ability: Overgrow
Base stats: 23 Hp/11 Atk/10 Def/8 Spe/11 SpD/10 SpA
Sassy Nature - I'm actually okay with this. Lower speed kinda sucks but I don't care enough to soft reset tbh
- Tackle
- Leafage
- Growl

This is where I'll stop for now. Thanks for reading, everyone!

As a warning, I can't guarantee that there will be a hard schedule for this. I'll update on my journey whenever I play the game.

Last edited:
Part 2: Hau and the Festival

I want to start this off by talking about something important: Pokemon Refresh. It's Pokemon-amie upgraded, and I fucking love it.
precious.jpg

<3

Ahem, picking up from where I last left off...

So right after getting my Pokemon, I met Hau, in probably one of the stranger ways you could meet a person.
hau.jpg

Don't tell me what to do
lolillie.jpg
um.png
whatever.png

oh.jpg

O.o
Whatever. I'll forgive you because you're cute and the concept of a serial killer doesn't exist in this world anyway.

Seriously, I wish Game Freak put more effort into how you meet this guy. Maybe they could've had him be there when Cosmog was being attacked he tries to help? Instead, he just shows up and you're supposed to accept him as your new friend/rival. At least it's established that he's the Kahuna's grandson and not some stranger. Anyway, he asks me for a battle, which I accept because I'm pretty sure saying no lands you 25 years to life in jail. Surprisingly, he picks the starter weak to mine, which in past Pokemon games meant that the rival was a "secondary" one. On top of that, the starters all have a STAB move, so the fight is over in about two turns. Either Game Freak wanted to make things easier for you, or there will potentially be another rival later in the game that has the starter who's strong against yours (Lillie, perhaps?) At the moment, I'm inclined to believe the latter, since I'd like to give Game Freak some credit in designing this game.

After the battle, the Kahuna finds out about my stone and takes it, telling me to join everyone at some festival that's going on tomorrow. Kukui takes me home, where my mom asks me why I choose my Pokemon. I'm given an option of saying "Because it's cute!" or "Because it's cool!", which is unsatisfactory since Rowlet is both of these things. I ended picking the latter though. Luckily, my mom knows what's up and confirms that Rowlet is indeed both cute and cool.

The next day opens up with mom basking in the beauty of the sunset, when the doorbell rings. Surprise surprise, it's Kukui (who seems to enjoy letting himself in rather than waiting for me to answer the door), who wants to take me to Route 1 for the obvious Pokemon catching lesson before the festival. I got 10 Pokeballs and some Potions out of this. From there, it's basically just making my way to the festival while battling wild Pokemon and trainers along the way.

Once I got to the festival, the first thing I noticed was the music. Seriously, Sun and Moon has a great soundtrack so far. It's beautifully fitting, and coupled with the lush environments, it perfectly compliments the atmosphere that Alola is trying to portray. If I had to describe Alola in one word, it'd probably be "peaceful." There's a laid back feeling to the region that I like a lot. Hala tells you a bit of the island's culture and the importance of the festival, which I found myself enjoying. I hope the culture is explored more as the game goes on, because I'm genuinely interested in it. I want to learn more about these people's beliefs. Once again, I think the atmosphere of the Alola region plays a big part in that. This game actually got me interested in real life Hawaiin culture.

You guys know what this calls for? A fitting musical interlude!

Interlude over. Going on with the festival, this is where I have my second battle with Hau. The battle is basically a show for Tapu Koko. Oh, remember when I said that I was okay with Rowlet's lowered speed? I take that back. Being outsped by everything is already getting annoying. I'm being outsped by level 3 Pikipeks, for fuck's sake. At level 7, mind you. And the battle with Hau...

Good lord.

Now, I didn't lose this battle, but it was more frustrating than it needed to be. Hau started the battle with his Pichu, who spammed Charm for about three or four turns. So with my attack stat being six feet under, I barely dented Hau's Pokemon and the battle was drawn out. Even Leafage hardly did shit to Popplio.

With the end of the battle comes the end of the festival. I'm given the Z-Ring from Hala, who brings up the island challenge along with Kukui. (ayyy we're getting there) I want to quickly point out how my mom said she "had a date with her bed," which cemented her as the best mom in any Pokemon game for me. Also, it took Game Freak 20 years to give her a bed. Sleep away, mom. You deserve it.

Lillie picks me up the next morning to take me to Kukui's lab. It was at this point when I noticed that the game gives me little to no freedom in terms of exploration. There is a very clear path that the game wants you to take AND YOU CANNOT DEVIATE FROM THIS PATH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE IT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW. Or at least, it might as well be. One of the things blocking my path is a Tauros who doesn't look nearly as angry as its trainer claims it is. Try again, Game Freak.
memes.jpg

c r e a m y m e m e b r o

Here, the professor upgrades my boring Pokedex to the adorable RotomDex, as well as gives me a charm that is meant to signify my taking part in the island challenge. As a side note, the professor's lab is cool as fuck. Just like him. This is where I stopped for the day.

Team - Nobody new so far. Might catch a Yungoos but idk. For now, here's an update on Robin.
1. Robin (Rowlet)/Level 10/Male
Base Stats: 36 Hp/18 Atk/16 Def/12 Spe/17 SpD/16 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Tackle
- Leafage
- Growl
- Peck

Thoughts So Far
I don't have much concrete thoughts atm, but I'm enjoying it for now. I noticed that the game is slower paced compared to past games, and I'm honestly okay with that. I like that this game is giving me a chance to breathe and just take in its world. As I stated, there's a laid back tone to SM that I think fits it perfectly. I made a joke in my last post about how it took a while to get my starter, but in all seriousness, I can't think of any moment while playing so far where I thought "just get on with it!" I have a feeling I'm going to continue to enjoy exploring this region, and I'm interested in seeing what else the game has in store for me.

So here's something I just learned yesterday. Remember when I said Sun and Moon didn't have that me montage at the beginning unlike every other Pokemon game? I was wrong. Turns out you just have to wait a bit. lolme

Part 3: Trainer School

First and foremost, I want to make an introduction. We've got a new addition to the team. Say hello to...
yungoos.jpg

YOUNG STRONG JAW CHOMPING FOR THE BREAD Ressler, the Yungoos! I think this is the first time I've ever used a Route 1 mon on my team. I really like Yungoos. It's a cutie, and it's got a cool detective theme going on with Gumshoos. I myself have interest in potentially becoming a detective, so I can appreciate that. He's named after FBI agent Robert Ressler, who interviewed a shit ton of serial killers during his career and practically pioneered modern criminal profiling.
me.jpg

me.jpg

I met up with Lillie at the outskirts of Hau'oli. She showed me the Pokemon Center, which looks cool as fuck this gen and also doubles as a PokeMart and Starbucks cafe. After this, I met her at the trainer school, but not before pointing out a Tauros blocking the way. How...convenient. *looks at Game Freak* But in this case, it doesn't matter because we're not even going in that direction.
same.jpg

As you can see, Pokemon Sun and Moon has many relatable characters.

At the school, I'm greeted by Kukui and the teacher, who want me to defeat four trainers. Kukui gives me the Exp. Share, just in time to train Ressler. This part is a little difficult because my only useful mon atm is Robin, who doesn't match up well with some of the trainers and gets outsped by almost everything. On top of that, I had to deal with Growl shenanigans and getting poisoned by a Grimer. I got Work Up after beating the final trainer, though idk if I'll ever use it.
goodquestion.jpg

That...is actually a very good question.

After battling the trainers, I got called to go to the second floor, which gets me accused of having done something bad by both Lillie and RotomDex. Actually, RotomDex straight up called me a "naughty girl" lol. I find it amusing that Rotom actually comments on events like that, it's pretty cute.
goodnoodle.jpg

I'M A GOOD NOODLE

Turns out the teacher called me because she wants to battle me. Once again, I'm in a bad matchup with a Magnemite, who paralyzes Robin. -_- At least all this haxing gave me an excuse to open up Pokemon Refresh. I love this new feature of being able to heal your Pokemon of status ailments there. All the old stuff like antidotes might as well not even be in the game. After the battle, I met Trial Captain Ilima, who is looking forward to me taking on their challenge.

My time at the school is finally over, and Lillie wants to show me around the city. She starts talking about understanding why my Pokemon chose me or whatever, but is cut off when she notices the Tauros again.
mistake.jpg

I noticed that Lillie's braid goes through her outfit here. It looked way worse while she was walking, but I wasn't fast enough to get a decent picture. Idk how anyone can miss it, unless they really weren't paying attention.

Hala and Hau are standing next to the Tauros, with Hala mentioning that it belongs to him. He asks me to pet this supposedly unstable creature, which I do because potential death appeals to me, I guess. This calms the Tauros down, and Hala takes off with it. I assume this whole scenario is setup for being able to ride Tauros later on.
nope.jpg
excuseyou.jpg

Hau wanted to third wheel join me and Lillie on our date tour around the city. An event that will have to wait for next time, since this is where I called it a day. I wasn't able to play as much as I would've liked. Sundays are kinda busy for me.

Team
1. Robin (Rowlet)/Level ?/Male
Base Stats:? Hp/? Atk/? Def/? Spe/? SpD/? SpA
Sassy Nature
- Tackle
- Leafage
- Growl
- Peck
2. Ressler (Yungoos)/Level ?/Male
Ability: Strong Jaw
Base Stats: ? Hp/? Atk/? Def/? Spe/? SpD/? SpA
Brave Nature - Happy about the strengthened Atk, but once again, lowered speed sucks. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to spend on soft resetting yesterday and took what I could get. I'm gonna need some speed control soon.

A better update on the team will come when I can get to my 3DS. I'm actually typing this up at school, so I don't have it on me. For now, this is what I could remember. As an unrelated side note, I'm thinking of no longer putting my images in hide tags.

Last edited:
An Update of Sorts

Oddish, is this dead? - Someone out there, maybe (?)

No, it isn't. I've just been busy because I'm getting close to end of semester in college. I've mostly been concerned with doing things such as projects and essays, and therefore haven't had the chance to really play the game. I plan on updating sometime this week though!

Edit: Couldn't update this week due to being out of town. I promise update will come soon though. :)

Last edited:
I'm actually checking this thread quite often to see if you got any updates. Please know that there's at least one person that enjoys reading all this!

I'm actually checking this thread quite often to see if you got any updates. Please know that there's at least one person that enjoys reading all this!
Thanks!

I haven't forgotten about this. I think about it often, actually. Winter break made me lazy though, so I wasn't playing the game. I do have pictures from my last playthrough on my laptop, and now that I'm in school again, I plan on updating this again. I can't guarantee that it'll be this week, but trust me when I say that I haven't given up on this. :)

Last edited:
Thanks!

I haven't forgotten about this. I think about it often, actually. Winter break made me lazy though, so I wasn't playing the game. I have do pictures from my last playthrough on my laptop, and now that I'm in school again, I plan on updating this again. I can't guarantee that it'll be this week, but trust me when I say that I haven't given up on this. :)
No hurries, take your time. Just know that I'm keeping an eye on this :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)