Pokemon of the Week #16: Latias

Heatran rarely runs speed now because of SpDef for Genesect and other shit (fast ones have Balloon)
Jolly Breloom sucks.
Lucario I haven't seen in ages
Toxicroak is either faster than you if he wants, or isn't running speed
Gyarados you can't do much to (and he is also rare)
Kyurem? Smeargle? WTF?
Politoed doesn't run speed past 178, or is faster than you (scarf)

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Jolly Breloom sucks? How can you say something so horrible? D:

The most speed Toxicroak invest these days are 252 EVs in speed without a +Spd nature with means Jolly Mamo outspeeds.

You can use Stone Edge against Gyarados, while it might not be the most viable option it is something mamo can use.

Also, yea I screwed up with Kyurem, I thought the common EV spread aimed to outspeed Lucario but it aimed to outspeed Jolly Mamo, my bad.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Breloom runs Adamant more often than Jolly. For October, 45% ran Adamant and 33% ran Jolly. Low Sweep was only used on 16% of Breloom, so, even if we assume that all 16% of those were on the Jolly sets, it still accounts for less than half of the ones who ran Jolly.

Just a little something I have been running on several teams. I must say that Mamoswine is a wonderful Pokemon in today's metagame.
@Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge

Icicle Spear. A move that is somehow overlooked or seemed redundant on Mamoswine. However, I find that being able to OHKO Dragonite with Multiscale intact, Gliscor, Brelloom, Sash Pokemon, and non-Flying Dragons is something. With Jolly it still has enough power to OHKO Salamence or revenge Kami Trio after Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock or Stone Edge depends on what you need: SR is SR, and Stone Edge let's you kill Gyarados, even though Icicle Spear deals semi-ok with it. Just my two cents. Scizor is 2HKOed if switches on EQ, Ninetales is OHKOed if Mamoswine doesn't get burned, Tyranitar is OHKOed iirc, Jirachi is OHKOed... I mean Mamoswine is awesome, he can handle/revenge kill half of the meta, and in my opinion, that's really impressive, taken that you still have 5 Pokemon slots left to support Mamoswine.

Is there any other reason to use stone edge on Mamoswine other than Gyarados? It seems pretty useless to me. Volcarona is already OHKOed by earthquake, so the SE damage isn't needed. Abomasnow and Moltres are the only things I can think of that aren't already covered by its STABs that you MIGHT see in OU, although probably not.

Stone edge seems like a bad option even if you're facing Gyarados, as with waterfall's flinch chance and stone edge's shaky accuracy you only have a 64% chance to kill. Superpower seems like a better option for the LO set, and optionally endeavor/SR on sash.

Breloom runs Adamant more often than Jolly. For October, 45% ran Adamant and 33% ran Jolly. Low Sweep was only used on 16% of Breloom, so, even if we assume that all 16% of those were on the Jolly sets, it still accounts for less than half of the ones who ran Jolly.
Eh? There's no reason to run Jolly Loom is you're not using Low Sweep.

Love the addition of Thick fat, really helps him stay in the game longer. Makes him much easier to pair with a pokemon like Forretress, Ferrothorn and Skarmory which would otherwise bring you two pokemon weak to one of the most common types of the game already. Important to have rocks up because of Mamoswines ability to force switches on flying types who hate the multiple 25%-%50% health switch-ins.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Eh? There's no reason to run Jolly Loom is you're not using Low Sweep.
You need to be Jolly to outspeed Tornadus-T to finish it off with Bullet Seed.

Stone Edge is definitely a decent option on Mamoswine. I'll be the first to say I hate dealing with inaccurate moves, but it's a necessary evil. Ice / Ground already has perfect coverage (outside of Rotom/Bronzong), so running coverage moves is not absolutely necessary.

If you're running Superpower as your coverage move, you do not have staying power which could result in you getting set up on. The coverage that stone edge provides is absolutely necessary on some teams (primarily hitting Volcarona).

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs 0 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 97.43% - 114.15% (81.25% chance to OHKO)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 81.02% - 94.92% (2 hits to KO)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 0 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 107.07% - 125.72% (Guaranteed OHKO)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 89.04% - 104.55% (31.25% chance to OHKO)

I hightly doubt Stone Edge is necessary for Volcarona.

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Still, Adamant Life Orb hits like a TRUCK. What is the point of Jolly, again?
My thoughts exactly. I partnered this thing up with dd nite and Rp genesect in early bw2 and have never had a problem with the aforementioned threats. I literally have seen like 2 jolly looms ever. Toxicroak usually try to hit 285 just because of the huge pressure mamo puts on offensive rain teams. (literally nothing switches in) The added power is very much appreciated, being able to take out the therians after rocks and Latios after 2x rocks and Tias after 3-4. Jolly'only noticeable upsides are to outspend nite all the time and icicle spear when they're at full (but who stays in), beat out the majority of tentacruel (sub tox etc), and speed tie other fast mamo. Those were the only circumstances under which I hoped mine was jolly. The raw hitting power of adamant life orb if just too delicious to pass up.

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs 0 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 97.43% - 114.15% (81.25% chance to OHKO)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 81.02% - 94.92% (2 hits to KO)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 0 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 107.07% - 125.72% (Guaranteed OHKO)

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 89.04% - 104.55% (31.25% chance to OHKO)

I hightly doubt Stone Edge is necessary for Volcarona.
IF you bother staying in on Volcarona. He outspeeds you and will do a crapton of damage to you...

I would like to mention that Volcarona and Mamoswine make up a perfect offensive core. So if anyone wants to put Mamoswine on his team try out Volcarona along side the mamoth. Of course you must have a spinner, but it will be worth it.

IF you bother staying in on Volcarona. He outspeeds you and will do a crapton of damage to you...
It's all about prediction and it means Volcy can't switch in on you.

And half the time it tries to QD first before attacking, thinking you'll swap out. Thick Fat beats the fire too.

I would like to mention that Volcarona and Mamoswine make up a perfect offensive core. So if anyone wants to put Mamoswine on his team try out Volcarona along side the mamoth. Of course you must have a spinner, but it will be worth it.
I prefer Balloon Heatran over Volcarona as a partner to Mamo.

Great discussion guys! A new Pokemon of the week will be up shortly so if you have any things to say about Mamoswine that haven't been said yet, say them now!

This has probably been said above, but IMO superpower >>> SE on 4 attacks LO mamo. You hit stuff like rotom and even bronzong way harder and idk what SE really hits, but mamo should rarely be using non-STAB moves on a poke that doesn't resist both STABs since ground/ice is such great coverage. Gyara is one exception, but rare. Meanwhile, superpower hits just about everything neutrally that ice/ground doesn't (surskit still walls you unfortunately).

Great discussion guys! It's a new week, so a new Pokemon! This week we'll be discussing a very underrated blob, err fetus. Reuniclus!

Reuniclus
Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 110 HP / 65 Atk / 75 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 30 Spe
Abilities: Overcoat / Magic Coat / Regenerator

Notable Moves:
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Whether Reuniclus is breaking stall, a playstyle that has gained popularity with the banning of Genesect, with Calm Mind or destroying balanced and Hyper Offensive teams alike with a Trick Room set, this fetus is a lot more fearsome than its teletubby-esque sprite may suggest. Even though its typing is sub-par, its incredible ability, decent bulk, and amazing special attack make up for it. Tyranitar and Scizor are still common as ever, but even with such common checks and counters, Reuniclus still manages to be a devastating threat in the BW2 OU metagame. What sets do you prefer and what kind of teams do they work in for you? How have you utilized Reuniclus?

Discuss this new Pokemon of the Week!

Reuniclus (F) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Recover
Its a Standard Calm Mind Reiuniclus,but with a little twist. Flame orb may seem weird, but it does actually work out in the long run. For one Breloom can't put Reuniclus to sleep with Spore once Flame Orb is activated meaning nothing has to be sleep fodder and nothing has to endure a +2 Bullet seed or Mach punch when Breloom putted something to sleep and setted up with Swords Dance. also with Flame Orb it, prevents paralysis which may not seem bad, but can be very annoying if Reiuniclus keeps on getting paralyzed so Flame orb prevents paralysis as Reiuniclus will have a already Status infliction. Oh and the 4 Speed Evs are to be able to speed creep Amoonguss and Slowbro, but even than They can't do anything to Reauniclus, Especially Amoonguss once Flame Orb activates preventing it from using Spore.

Oh and you placed Magic Coat is in the wrong place.

Here's a set that I don't see too often, which is odd considering Reuniclus' ability and stat layout. I wonder why...

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Modest
Magic Guard
252 Sp Attack/252 HP/4 Def

Psychic/Psyshock
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball/HP Fire
Trick

Reuniclus can do some damage with this set. The choice between Psyshock and Psychic is up to you, but both are STAB, and even though they do have bad coverage, they hit hard on anything that doesn't resist. The remaining coverage moves provide, well, coverage, while Trick allows for Reuniclus to cripple things that would otherwise take attacks easily.
Reuniclus has no problems switching in and out of a fight, thanks to Magic Guard, and its stats allow it to deal real damage while tanking a hit or two.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Here's a set that I don't see too often, which is odd considering Reuniclus' ability and stat layout. I wonder why...

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Modest
Magic Guard
252 Sp Attack/252 HP/4 Def

Psychic/Psyshock
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball/HP Fire
Trick

Reuniclus can do some damage with this set. The choice between Psyshock and Psychic is up to you, but both are STAB, and even though they do have bad coverage, they hit hard on anything that doesn't resist. The remaining coverage moves provide, well, coverage, while Trick allows for Reuniclus to cripple things that would otherwise take attacks easily.
Reuniclus has no problems switching in and out of a fight, thanks to Magic Guard, and its stats allow it to deal real damage while tanking a hit or two.

Looks like a decent idea, but what's the point of running this over OTR? I can see how trick is unexpected, but life orb is good enough power, and this sets leaves you as easy pursuit bait by Ttar. This set does have merit though by being able to smash wholes with Psychic

Reuniclus (F) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Recover
Its a Standard Calm Mind Reiuniclus,but with a little twist. Flame orb may seem weird, but it does actually work out in the long run. For one Breloom can't put Reuniclus to sleep with Spore once Flame Orb is activated meaning nothing has to be sleep fodder and nothing has to endure a +2 Bullet seed or Mach punch when Breloom putted something to sleep and setted up with Swords Dance. also with Flame Orb it, prevents paralysis which may not seem bad, but can be very annoying if Reiuniclus keeps on getting paralyzed so Flame orb prevents paralysis as Reiuniclus will have a already Status infliction. Oh and the 4 Speed Evs are to be able to speed creep Amoonguss and Slowbro, but even than They can't do anything to Reauniclus, Especially Amoonguss once Flame Orb activates preventing it from using Spore.

Oh and you placed Magic Coat is in the wrong place.
Does reuniclus get psycho shift by any chance? A pokemon both immune to status and a 100% accurate burn move would be great. Right now this set seems wasteful as you're giving up LO for being a niche counter to Breloom before sleep clause is up and being slightly better at beating Jirachi in a calm mind war (sub cm is usually in the rain with water pulse though so you can still get haxxed.)

Does reuniclus get psycho shift by any chance? A pokemon both immune to status and a 100% accurate burn move would be great. Right now this set seems wasteful as you're giving up LO for being a niche counter to Breloom before sleep clause is up and being slightly better at beating Jirachi in a calm mind war (sub cm is usually in the rain with water pulse though so you can still get haxxed.)
Well can't argue on that one on flame orb being wasteful, but it still can prove to be useful.

Sadly Reuniclus does not learn Psycho shift, but flame orb can work on a trick set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)