Pokemon Of The Year: Your Picks and Predictions

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just yesterday the official "Pokemon Of The Year" poll was launched. By googling the term, you'll be presented with a list of every single Pokemon (including the newcomers of Sword and Shield!) organized by generation. Make one choice for every generation and then click the vote button assuming you're logged into your Google account and voila! Voting is scheduled to end Friday, February 14th at 13:59 UTC, or 8:59 AM EST.

Now that you know how this works, who are you choosing for each category, and who do you think will come out as the actual victors?

My Picks
1- Gengar
2- Stantler (for funny meemee haha, if I was being for real I'd choose Ho-oh, Entei or Bellossom)
3- Crawdaunt
4- Torterra
5- Hydreigon
6- Chesnaught
7- Drampa (duh)
8- Appletun

My Winner Predictions
1- Charizard (duh)
2- Umbreon or Furret or Stantler
3- Gardevoir
4- Lucario or Garchomp
5- honestly idk, there aren't any gen 5 mons with massive fanbases. Perhaps Snivy or Haxorus?
6- Greninja or Sylveon
7- Incineroar or Decidueye
8- This'll be the most fascinating to see: I don't have any main idea, but any of the starters, Sirfetch'd, Toxtricity, Dragapult or Snom are all likely candidates

For me it goes:

1. Arcanine

2. Typhlosion

3. Altaria

4. Leafeon

5. Samurott

6. Goodra

7. Primarina

8. Corviknight

As you can see, I have the most vanilla tastes in the world.

My predictions are ultimately pretty similar, but I also think that Eevee has a good chance to take Gen 1, generation 5 will be won by one of the legendary dragons or Hydreigon, Aegislash stands a decent chance of winning Gen 6, and gen 8 will be won by either Snom or Dracovish memes (i’m sorry vish i still love you)

My choices were

Gen 1: Kabutops
Gen 2: Dunsparce
Gen 3: Swampert
Gen 4: Yanmega
Gen 5: Crustle
Gen 6: Barbaracle
Gen 7: Turtonator
Gen 8: Orbeetle

What I think it may happen:
Gen 1: zard/pika/eevee/bulbasaur/mewtwo
Gen 2: either cynda or totodile line/furret/the legendaries are all loved
Gen 3: Any of the starters/Gardevoir/Milotic (?)/rayquaza
Gen 4: Infernape/giratina/luxray/lucario
Gen 5: Reshiram or zekrom/volcanora/zoroark
Gen 6: Greninja/ Xerneas or Yvetal/idk any more loved gen 6 pokemon tbh
Gen 7: Decidueye/Mimikyu/solgaleo or lunaala/vikavolt (?)
Gen 8: toxtricity/cinderace/snom/wooloo

1. Gyarados
2. Scizor
3. Metagross
4. Infernape
5. Excadrill
6. Zygarde
7. Kartana
8. SNOM

Apparently I have a thing for steel-types?

As for my predictions of what will win:
1. Charizard
2. Typhlosion
3. Salamence
4. Lucario
5. Volcarona
6. Greninja
7. Mimikyu
8. Galarian Darmanitan

Edit: GDarm isn't applicable, so probably Corviknight

My honorable mentions:
1. Charizard, Gengar, Mewtwo, other normie shit
2. Feraligatr, Tyranitar
3. Gardevoir, Salamence, every legendary
4. Staraptor, Lucario, Garchomp, most evos of past-gen mons, Regigigas, Darkrai, Arceus
5. Darmanitan, Reuniclus, Hydreigon, Volcarona
6. Greninja, Aegislash, Tyrantrum, Xerneas, Yveltal
7. Araquanid, Mimikyu, Xurkitree, Necrozma, Naganadel, Marshadow
8. Corviknight, Barraskewda, Centiskorch, Grimmsnarl, fossils, Dragapult, Eternatus

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1. Gyarados
2. Scizor
3. Metagross
4. Infernape
5. Excadrill
6. Zygarde
7. Kartana
8. SNOM

Apparently I have a thing for steel-types?

As for my predictions of what will win:
1. Charizard
2. Typhlosion
3. Salamence
4. Lucario
5. Volcarona
6. Greninja
7. Mimikyu
8. Galarian Darmanitan
It's worth noting that regional variants are not listed in the generations they were introduced, rather they're bunched in with the base forms. If Galarian Darmanitan gave that Pokemon a huge spike in popularity that'd be reflected in its placement in the gen 5 rankings.

It's worth noting that regional variants are not listed in the generations they were introduced, rather they're bunched in with the base forms. If Galarian Darmanitan gave that Pokemon a huge spike in popularity that'd be reflected in its placement in the gen 5 rankings.
Honestly a bad idea imo. Theres a lot of regional variants that i like/am neutral where i think the base design is ugly as shit (ninetales and persian come to mind). I wouldn't want to vote persian because, while i like alolan persian, i hate normal persian guts, and I imagine other people may feel the same

My picks for each generation:
1. Pikachu
2. Tyranitar
3. Sceptile
4. Infernape
5. Krookodile
6. Greninja
7. Lycanroc
8. Wooloo

Based on that Pokemon popularity poll that was done on Reddit last September, I'm going to give my predictions for who the top 5 winners of each generation could be and their ranks from the original poll.

1. Charizard (1st), Gengar (2nd), Arcanine (3rd), Bulbasaur (4th), or Eevee (9th)

2. Umbreon (6th), Typhlosion (12th), Ampharos (13th), Tyranitar (17th), or Scizor (22nd)

3. Blaziken (5th), Gardevoir (8th), Absol (11th), Flygon (15th), or Mudkip (tied for 24th)

4. Lucario (7th), Infernape (18th), Torterra (20th), Luxray (21st), or Garchomp (tied for 24th)

5. Volcarona (45th), Chandelure (64th), Hydreigon (80th), Zoroark (83rd), or Whimsicott (91st)

6. Sylveon (48th), Greninja (66th), Aegislash (78th), Noivern (tied for 114th), or Goodra (151st)

7. Mimikyu (47th), Deciudeye (123rd), Lycanroc (tied for 142nd), Rowlet (145th), or Golisopod (tied for 168th)

Since Generation 8 wasn't out at the time of the poll, I'm just gonna take a guess at who the most popular Pokemon are at this point.

8. Dracovish, Dragapult, Toxtricity, Snom, and Cinderace

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
1. Gengar
2. Misdreavus
3. Flygon
4. Gliscor
5. Zebstrika
6. Noivern
7. Mimikyu
8. Flapple

1. Haunter, Dragonair, Articuno
2. Raikou, Ho-Oh, Celebi
3. Treecko, Grovyle, Sceptile, Latias, Kyogre
4. Mismagius, Weavile, Yanmega
5. Snivy, Serperior
6. Xerneas, Yveltal
7. Lunala
8. Frosmoth

That’s roughly everything I seriously considered.
1. Charizard
2. Tyranitar
3. Blaziken
4. Lucario
5. Zekrom
6. Greninja
7. Mimikyu
8. Zacian

Last edited:
My picks:

1. Psyduck
2. Crobat
3. Wailord
4. Yanmega
5. Musharna
6. Xerneas
7. Primarina
8. Copperajah

My predictions:

1. Pikachu
2. Ampharos
3. Blaziken
4. Lucario
5. Chandelure
6. Greninja
7. Mimikyu
8. Snom

That being said, I think at least one of Slowpoke/Dunsparce/Kricketune/Goomy/Dracovish will be memed into winning a category.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Only the OP’s mentioned it but the only Gen 2 shitmon / mememon that should garner enough votes (not to win, of course) should be Stantler due to it being the icon for the Nat Dexers / Dexit movement...

Personal Picks:

1) Gyarados
2) Tyranitar
3) Regice
4) Drapion
5) Chandelure
6) Dragalge
7) Primarina
8) Dracovish

Predictions:

1) Charizard / Pikachu / Eevee / Mewtwo / Gengar / [insert generic Gen 1 fanmon here]: Pretty self-explanatory. All of these are well-known and incredibly popular.

2) Umbreon / Tyranitar / Ampharos: All of these have a good shot at taking the win, though Umbreon’s fanbase is nuts. Tyranitar and Ampharos have solid backing from non-Eevee fans. Honorable mention to Scizor here. For the memes, watch out for Stantler’s placement.

3) Gardevoir / Absol / Blaziken: Imo Gardevoir stands among the rest as a huge icon for tons of people, but Absol and Blaziken have a shot amongst the fans who value how cool a Pokémon is.

4) Lucario: I think nothing in Gen 4 comes close to Lucario. The likes of Luxray, Infernape, and Garchomp are quite a bit under.

5) Volcarona / Chandelure / Hydreigon: These 3 are probably the biggest standouts amongst the Gen V pool which is fairly divisive among the fanbase. It could honestly go either way. Small chance, but Zoroark could potentially go here too.

6) Sylveon / Greninja / Aegislash: Sylveon is your typical Eevee and the icon of Fairies, while Greninja is your generic shillmon; both have great fanbases. Aegislash comes close as a perceived “good objectmon”, and with Sword / Shield out, as well as Leon having one, it should definitely be up there as well.

7) Mimikyu: This one is also a very clear winner among the crew of Gen 7. I think Rowlet and Lycanroc have solid backing too, but they don’t match up to Mimikyu.

8) Dragapult / Snom / Toxtricity: The newest gen has the honeymoon period to contend with, but I think these 3 stand-out as essentially universally loved AND recognized - Toxtricity gets some bonus points for being highlighted as the next event Gigantamax. As much as I love it, I’d say Dracovish is too controversial to make the top end of the list, but it should get a lot of votes too.

Last edited:
My picks are:
Gen 1: Articuno (obviously)
Gen 2: Houndoom
Gen 3: Banette
Gen 4: Honchkrow
Gen 5: Vanilluxe/Reuniclus
Gen 6: Slurpuff/Clawitzer
Gen 7: Passimian
Gen 8: Appletun

By the way, if it isn't clear you can actually vote per day until the 14th. So I threw a vote for Vanillue/Slurpuff one day and Reuniclus/Clawitzer the next

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My picks:
Gen 1: Charizard
Gen 2: Heracross
Gen 3: Absol
Gen 4: Luxray
Gen 5: Braviary
Gen 6: Noivern
Gen 7: Mimikyu
Gen 8: Toxtricity

Not going to make predictions as it's either obvious or I have no clue.

Though I will say I'm not sure how I feel about doing it this way. Only way I see this working is if after this poll there's a second poll that pits the 8 winners against each other.

Bug boiiiiiiis
Um.

My picks:
Gen 1: Charizard
Gen 2: Heracross
Gen 3: Absol
Gen 4: Luxray
Gen 5: Braviary
Gen 6: Noivern
Gen 7: Mimikyu
Gen 8: Toxtricity

Not going to make predictions as it's either obvious or I have no clue.

Though I will say I'm not sure how I feel about doing it this way. Only way I see this working is if after this poll there's a second poll that pits the 8 winners against each other.

Um.
Makes sense to me. We'll still get an over all winner and we'll get to see who is the most popular pokemon per generation. There's no reason to have a second poll to pit the winners against each other because there will still be an overall winner. Something like...Charizard getting 1 million votes while Toxtricity gets 500,000 votes would not necessitate a tie breaker, you know what I mean? And even if there was a tie across generations (fairly unlikely, incidentally), oh well, they'd just share the spot; probably get some fun merch out of it even.

And ideally like the older polls we get t osee the full results and that means seeing who is the least popular pokemon of each generation and the overall loser

I thought it would be fun to go a little more in depth on why I like what I like.

Scyther is a really cool bug, and it was my favorite Pokemon when I was little.

Scizor is another really cool bug, and it was my other favorite Pokemon when I was little.

Swampert was my starter in Emerald (the only Pokemon game I've ever actually owned besides Channel) and Pokélove A (long story) carried me.

At some point years ago, I ironically dubbed Bidoof to be the strongest Pokemon (turns out I wasn't alone). "Bidoof rules".

Volcarona is an incredibly powerful and majestic bug, and my current favorite Pokemon. The grace and ease with which is sets up a single Quiver Dance, and then continues to become stronger with Fiery Dance, is simply beautiful. The ancient people to right to revere this glorious moth as a solar deity. Have I mentioned that Volcarona is my favorite Pokemon yet?

Pumpkin gang for life.

Its constant flexing is absolutely hilarious. Also, it's a cool bug.

Snom is an adorable bug baby that must be protected.

Another cool bug. I find Mega Beedrill especially fascinating because it turned an awful Pokemon into a really scary Pokemon, not with a broken ability like Mawile or Kangaskhan, or even by making big changes like Lopunny or Pidgeot, but simply by being terrifyingly efficient with its stat changes.

A cool ghost. Its face is fun to draw.

My dad's favorite Pokemon. Rest in peace, big guy. You were an asshole, but I still loved you.

I once stumbled upon shiny Yanma in some random format (probably Hackmons Cup) and was awestruck at how beautiful it was. I love the combination of electric blue and electric green.

It's comically bland.

I once had a dream where I had a talking Shuckle that rode around on my shoulder and acted as a living pauldron. It even used Iron Defense a few times to help me shoulder bash things.

It's an adorable baby elephant, and its art reminds me of the Saggy Baggy Elephant's iconic 1-2-3-kick dance.

Baby Swampert.

A neat bug. Its type combination was also unique for several years, which is also neat.

One of my favorites in Emerald.

Another cool bug, and a Pokemon that I think could be competitively decent if not for Stealth Rocks.

Adorable little cherry.

A Pokemon that I've had a lot of fun using in competitive, with a fast and strong U-turn, great coverage, and an explosive finishing move to win (or forfeit) games with style. Love ya, Ganymede.

I actually had the idea for a grass snake many years before Serperior existed. Its name was Vnake, a portmanteau of vine and snake.

It looks like a sleepy and/or sick person who's tired of your shit and just wants to go back to bed.

Litwick strikes the perfect balance between cute and cool.

After nine years of being very unremarkable, it was suddenly gifted a really cool signature move in Fire Lash.

It's pretty fun to use in competitive, and its unassuming appearance is in hilarious juxtaposition with its satanic Pokedex number.

I like it for the same reason everyone else does: it looks nothing like a dragon, and I find that very funny.

It's basically just Swimmy.

It's a badass metal raven. Also holy shit that sprite is big.

Its wheel and asymmetrical orange eye combine to make a very striking design.

Chubby apple pie dragon.

I absolutely adore its bold pink and green color scheme.

Personal:
1. Dragonite
2. Lugia
3. Gardevoir
4. Uxie
5. Serperior
6. Aurorus
7. Primarina
8. Zamazenta

Predictions:
1. Charizard
2. Umbreon
3. Mudkip or Gardevoir
4. Lucario or Gallade
5. Volcarona
6. Greninja
7. Rowlet or Cosmog
8. Wooloo

1. Charizard didn’t get ALL of his forms for no reason :p I feel like Mewtwo or Pikachu could be close too, but the OG dragon will be on top.
2. A tricky prediction for me, I put Umbreon because I’ve seen it in so many different fanarts.
3. I remember Mudkip being a meme back in high school, the thing is admittedly cute (which is why I picked it as my starter) but given the state of the Pokemon fandom today, Gardevoir will likely be the most popular here. It’s also my favorite but for very different reasons damn furries
4. DAMN FURRIES
5. Hard guess for me but Volcarona is an undeniably amazing Pokemon, both aesthetically and competitively.
6. Ah Greninja, being an anthropomorphic frog and having Protean makes you popular among shippers, memers, and gamers alike.
7. How can we forget about Cosmog and Lillie? That bag won’t likely keep it out of the top spots for gen 7. But Rowlet gives it some competition by being insanely cute (especially in the anime if anyone watched that).
8. Wooloo gained popularity really fast when it was revealed. I honestly don’t see what people like so much about it.

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor
mine
1. :chansey:
1581064695720.png
:exeggutor-alola: stall babeee, and funny altered forms
2. :quagsire: i love him
3. :breloom: idk why i like him so much
4. :shellos: i like amphibians ig
5. :palpitoad::snivy::mienfoo::ducklett: this one was so hard cause it has so many of my favorites but i ended up going with palpitoad
6. :sliggoo::skiddo::pancham: this one was also hard, went with sliggoo
7. :pyukumuku::sandygast: you might think i would pick the one im named after, but pyukumuku has grown on me, making sandygast a close second.
8. :clobbopus::chewtle::snom::falinks: another difficult one, went with clobbopus bc he cute

as you can tell, my taste in pokemon is, uh, interesting. i prefer new designs, starting at gen 5. i like the kinda dopey/dumb looking ones a lot, and seem to prefer aquatic animals.
predictions: idfk prob like starters and lucario

My picks:

1. Pidgeotto
2. Lugia
3. Flygon
4. Porygon-Z
5. Snivy
6. Heliolisk
7. Rowlet
8. Toxtricity

Actually Gen I was the hardest for me to choose as I had the sudden realization... I don't like my Gen I favourites as much as those of other generations.

In terms of predictions... as long as it's not a dog-like Pokémon, I'm fine.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Charizard
Tyranitar
Salamence
Garchomp
Hydreigon
Diancie-M
Kartana
Dragapult

I just go for the behemoths of each gen or well pretty much all of them anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)