Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow In-Game Tiers - Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for being slow on my runs. Here are my logs up to Sabrina with a team of Charmander, Weedle, Drowzee, Chansey, and Shellder.

Beedrill (12): Wow this is bad. Three hit Fury Attack is like…an 8HKO on Geodude. Just try and Poison with Poison Sting, it’s more damage than you’re doing! And then you realize Brock has Full Heals.

Geodude’s Tackle is a 7HKO, but that doesn’t mean much with how little damage you do. I ended up using 17 moves and Geodude still killed me.

Beedrill is a tiny bit better for Onix thanks to outspeeding it (a rarity for most mons this early) but still does pitiful damage.

So yeah, pretty terrible, but at least Bide does almost nothing due to how little damage you do.

Charmander (14): Geodude seems to take six Embers to kill (I crit one of them) while Geodude 7HKOs with Tackle.

Onix takes seven Embers to kill. Onix is awkward between being faster, using Screech to kill you faster with Tackle and then Bide wasting time. It’s a long fight no matter what you do.
Charmeleon (19): Mega Punch 3HKOs Pidgeotto and OHKOs Abra. Ember 2HKOs Rattata easily (knocking it to red) and Mega Punch falls just shy of OHKOing it. Mega Punch is a 3HKO on Squirtle whose Water Gun doesn’t really threaten you. You probably do not sweep due to being worn down from Pidgeotto, 85 Mega Punch accuracy, and accuracy drops from Sand-Attack though.

Beedrill: (20 for Twinneedle): Hitting three times with Fury Attack on three different uses seems to 3HKO Pidgeotto (kinda ew because of Sand-Attack). Generally, don’t fight Pidgeotto; Sand-Attack combined with already iffy accuracy on Fury Attack makes it unviable.

However, Twineedle is an OHKO on Abra and Rattata, while Squirtle takes two uses of Twinneedle unless you crit the first hit (OHKOs).
Misty:
Drowzee (22): Takes on Staryu easily, 2HKOing it with Confusion while Water Gun barely scratches you. While you do little to Starmie with Confusion, it can’t really do much to you with Tackle / wasting X Defend turns, so maybe you can land a Hypnosis and whittle it down. I actually got it confused and won first try!

In a straight fight with just Confusion on Starmie, I did about a third of its HP before dying (she crit a few times though).

In other attempts, I’d say Drowzee is pretty good here. Yes, she has BubbleBeam, but that’s IF she decides to use it. You tank even crit Water Guns and Tackle pretty easily, inviting Hypnosis / Confusion status to screw Misty over fairly easy. Not a CLEAN sweep, but solid.

Beedrill (22): Outspeeds and 2HKOs Staryu with Twineedle while Water Gun does nothing. Even if Misty uses X Defend on Starmie, you still 2HKO with Twinneedle. It seems if Starmie doesn’t hit a critical hit BubbleBeam, you should sweep fine (it seems you barely avoid the BubbleBeam 2HKO from full, does about 30 of your 67 HP).

Charmeleon (23): 2HKOs Staryu with Mega Punch. BubbleBeam literally mops up Charmeleon after Staryu. About what you’d expect.
Drowzee (25): Would you believe you outspeed and OHKO Pidgeotto with a critical hit Confusion? You 2HKO Pidgeotto without a crit. Confusion knocks Raticate to red and Hyper Fang doesn’t really hurt you being a 4HKO (!)

You’d think Kababra would be bad, but actually Headbutt (more than achievable by having a level 24 Drowzee) knocks it to red and 2HKOs. Even if you get unlucky and have Headbutt disabled, Kadabra derps enough you can still muscle through it with Confusion gradually.

Even Wartortle is 2HKOed by Confusion (though it looks like mine came pretty close to being a range). Easy sweep, did so all three times.

Charmeleon (25): Mega Punch 2HKOs Pidgeotto and Mega Punch / Dig + Ember finishes off Raticate. Dig OHKOs Kadabra and barely misses the 2HKO on Wartortle, who doesn’t really threaten you once more. Even with like 3 Mega Punch misses on the second attempt, I still was able to solo thanks to a lucky crit on Wartortle.

Beedrill (25): Pidgeotto seems 3HKOed by Twineedle, thankfully. Raticate is a range to OHKO with Twineedle. You outspeed and OHKO Kadabra with Twineedle. You 2HKO Wartortle with Twineedle. Swept twice fairly easily, though you will need some luck.
Beedrill (26): Outspeeds and 2HKOs Voltorb with Twineedle and outspeeds and OHKOs Pikachu with Twineedle. Seems to 3HKO Raichu with Twineedle even at -1 Attack. If Raichu doesn’t go for Growl, you actually 2HKO with Twineedle! Thunderbolt is a 2HKO but it seems unlikely to use it. Swept all three times, though I did seem to speed tie with Raichu.

Hypno (26): 2HKOs Voltorb with Confusion, OHKOs Pikachu with Confusion. One of the best checks to Raichu; Thunderbolt doesn’t even 4HKO you (!) while you 3HKO with Confusion. Extremely easy sweep!

Charmeleon (26): Outspeed and OHKO Voltorb and Pikachu with Dig. Raichu, believe it or not, is pretty easy - you just avoid the 2HKO from Thunderbolt and knock Raichu to red with Dig.

So same as Bee really. Even when he used Growl and landed a critical hit Thunderbolt, I lived at 6 HP, 2HKOing him with Dig. Easy sweep all three times.
Hypno (31): Have I mentioned Hypno is amazing yet? Even Confusion 2HKOs Victrebel while even instacrit Razor Leaf (generally a death sentence for most mons neutral to it) doesn’t even 3HKO you.

Tangela is 3HKOed by Confusion, but that’s okay because you tank it easily. Even with Mega Drain healing, you 2HKO Vileplume with Confusion while it does nothing.

With Psychic, Victrebel is a range to OHKO, Tangela is knocked to red, and Vileplume seems to be OHKOed.

Charmeleon (31): Surprisingly terrible against Victrebel: even with a crit Dig and another Dig you can’t 2HKO it. Ember seems to roughly 3HKO it too. Also Wrap is annoying. Ember also 3HKOs Tangela and roughly 3HKOs Vileplume. Mostly likely not a sweep; the first two will wear you down easily letting you get picked off by Vileplume.

If you are somehow level 33 and have Slash, the matchup gets somewhat better. Slash roughly 2HKOs Victrebel, 3HKOs Tangela, and can definitely 3HKO Vileplume now (I swept first time). On a second attempt, I did lose even with Slash, if Victrebel poisons you and Tangela Wraps you, it can leave you again, picked off by Vileplume.

Beedrill (31): OHKOS Victrebel, 2HKOs Tangela, OHKOs Vileplume with Twineedle. Easy sweep. Don’t bother with Pin Missile - Tangela lives all but 5 successive hits of it.
Charmeleon (34): Dig + Ember takes care of the Rock/Grounds (even Rock Throw from Onix only does roughly 20 damage). Slash just barely 3HKOs Kangaskhan, but it will do a considerable chunk back. However, even with using Slash on the Rock Grounds instead of Ember (thus giving a free turn to Onix) I was still able to sweep, so it seems pretty reliable. This is without getting into Giovanni’s tendency to G U A R D S P E C.

Hypno (32): Even Confusion is enough to OHKO the Rock / Grounds and even 2HKO Kangaskhan. Bite simply doesn’t do enough damage from Khan to threaten you (it’s like, a 5HKO). Easy sweep.

Beedrill (32): 3HKOs Onix with Twineedle, but there’s a good chance you can beat it (Rock Throw only 2HKOs on crit, hilariously). Rhyhorn does laughable damage with Horn Attack while you 3HKO with Twineedle (poison might help here if you roll it, looks like it would close the gap after two turns).

Kangaskhan finishes you off after the chip from the others though. To muscle through it fast, you’ll likely need some help from Twineedle crits or poison. Should take about 3 it seems. Kangaskhan isn’t threatening enough to kill you if at full, seems to do about 1/3 of your HP on average.
Charmeleon (34): Slash leaves Pidgeotto alive in red, but OHKOs Growlithe (yes I know you can Dig). Slash also leaves Exeggcute alive in red, which can be annoying with Hypnosis. Thankfully, even with the terrible RBY sleep mechanics, Barrage does absolutely nothing (about 1 damage per hit) so it’s only a minor nuisance. Slash OHKOs Kadabra and 2HKOs Wartortle, who does literally nothing with Water Gun thanks to level advantage and it being a Wartortle. You outspeed everything, by the way. Easy sweep.

Hypno (32): 2HKOs Pidgeotto with Confusion, barely leaves Growlithe alive with Confusion, Exeggcute is 2HKOed by Tri Attack, and even Kadabra is outsped and OHKOed by Tri Attack. Wartortle is 2HKOed by Confusion. You out-tank everything easily.

Beedrill (32): Even with accuracy hax I ended up sweeping here at 4 HP. It’s annoying though, due to Twineedle resists in both Pidgeotto (Sand-Attack) and Growlithe. You overpower Kadabra and Exeggcute easily. Wartortle seems to be 2HKOed by Twineedle. About what you’d expect.
Charizard (40): Slash looks like rolls to 2HKO Pidgeot, unfortunately, though it can’t really touch you. Growlithe dies to Dig. Slash 2HKOs Exeggcute. Alakazam is a roll to OHKO. Blastoise is 3HKOed by Slash, but does absolutely nothing to you.

Testing at level 42 now to mitigate if my allegedly bad Attack DV; it seems Pidgeot is just barely 2HKOed now. Growithe is just OHKOed by Slash. Eggs is 2HKOed. Zam is OHKOed. Blastoise is still 3HKOed despite getting some HP back from Leech Seed. Easy sweep again. Testing again to verify this - Growlithe is left alive by Slash so it seems to be a roll. Not testing Swords Dance here as it seems like spamming Slash is just your best option. For reference, +2 Dig seems to do about half to Blastoise but Withdraw can mitigate your damage. Just Slash right through here, Swords Dance is unviable due to Sand Attack from Pidgey.

Beedrill (40): Bizarrely my Beedrill outsped Pidgeot (Wing Attack is a roll to 3HKO you lol) but you aren’t doing anything here. Growlithe is also a no, as it takes too long to beat. Exeggcute is OHKOed by Twinneedle. Zam outspeeds and kills you if weakend, but Beedrill can survive a Psybeam from full, Agility, and OHKO with Twineedle. Blastoise is a slugfest, not recommended but poison can help.

Hypno (40): Psychic 2HKOs Pidgeot whom you seem to outspeed. Outspeed and OHKO Growlithe. Hypno 2HKOs Eggs through resistance with Psychic. Tri Attack 2HKOs Alakazam. Blastoise is 2HKOed by Psychic.

Even getting paralyzed from Eggs Stun Spore wasn’t enough to stop a sweep in one attempt (though I did use Zard for Pidgeot).So yeah. Hypno does Hyno things. Psychic 4HKOs Zam by the way.

Chansey (40): Quick Attack from Pidgeot does about 50 of your roughly 260 HP, while Thunderbolt knocks Pidgeot to red. Growlithe comes out, does nothing with Ember and is 2HKOed by Psychic, but watch out for Take Down - it does roughly 70 damage. Eggs looks like a rough 3HKO with Psychic. Chansey died to Zam because I was unlucky enough to get burned by Growlithe. One on one coming in on Zam, Chansey is awesome, 3HKOing with Thunderbolt and even a crit Psybeam only does like 50 damage. Blastoise is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt. Blastoise outspeeds and 4HKOs Chansey with Bite.

Cloyster (40): Pidgeot and Eggs are OHKOed by Ice Beam as is Growlithe by Surf. Zam is a little shaky, but with Double Edge you can come close to OHKOing it (Psybeam is a 3HKO and Ice Beam is 3HKO). Blastoise is basically a Clamp fest and Bite flinches are annoying - it’s likely gonna finish you off before you kill it.
Cloyster (41): Easy sweep, but Cloyster leaves everything sans Rhyhorn alive in red with Surf, though they aren’t threatening you ever.

Chansey (41): Nidorino outspeeds you but you destroy with Psychic. Kangaskhan 3HKOs you with Bite (and can flinch) but you 2HKO with Psychic. Rhyhorn is left in red by Psychic. Nidoqueen outspeeds but does nothing and.you 2HKO with Psychic. Might wanna avoid Khan but the others are easy pickings (especially with GUARD SPEC LOL). Still pretty easy sweep overall, though 2HKOing almost everything is a little slow.

Charizard (42): Swords Dance Dig, everything dies in one hit save Kangaskhan. who is left in red. Even without Swords Dance, Kangaskhan is 2HKOed by Slash, and Rhyhorn and Nidoqueen are 2HKOed by Dig.

Beedrill (40): OHKO Nidorino with Twineedle, poison via Twineedle helps assure the Khan 3HKO (Bite is a 4HKO), Rhyhorn is annoying and takes 3 Twineedles + poison to beat, Nidoqueen is 2HKOed. You sweep but Swords Dance would help here (I gave mine to Zard).

Hypno (40): Hypno used Psychic! Everything is outsped and OHKOed.

Okay so when I originally tested Koga, this was when I gave Swords Dance to Beedrill and needed Surf for Tentacool before I decided I wasn't using it. This was before I changed my mind, reset, gave Swords Dance to Zard, and chose to use Cloyster and Chansey. did it at low levels but these logs should still be fine. I have Swords Dance on Bee in my logs here, but I’m going to also be posting the Swords Dance Charizard log though. From this point onward Charizard alone just has Swords Dance. Sorry for Chansey's and Cloyster's higher levels looking out of place, my team was near my Sabrina levels in the next log in the reset run.

Charizard (38): Dig leaves Koffing in red, annoyingly while it uses Sludge on you for roughly 20 damage. Dig (which does 2/3) + Slash finishes off Muk. Wezzing is probably best left to something else, it isn’t 2HKOed by Dig and Self-destruct finishes you off.

Slash seems to be damage rolls to 2HKO Koffing (though it might be my comparatively lower level), but definitely 3HKOs Muk so just go Slash + Dig, as stated above (though it seems Slash is a roll to kill, using Dig twice can be ew with Minimize).

You can sweep with some luck (read: if you crit Weezing or it doesn’t go boom), but you’re gonna get worn down. Good, but not excellent, though I was able to almost sweep even with two Smokescreen uses and a Minimize (Weezing went boom).

Charizard (42): Swords Dance Dig OHKOs everyone, even with a crit Smog poison from Koffing I did this. Weezing went boom underground. Unboosted showed practically identical results to above aside from the fact Weezing looked more possible to be 2HKOed by Dig.

Hypno (38): Hypno uses Psychic! Everything is OHKOed. Brainless sweep.

Beedrill (38): Twineedle fails to OHKO Koffing, leaving it in red, while Muk barely avoids the 2HKO. Swords Dance time. I keep critting Weezing so it’s hard to judge but it seems like it’s a loss as if Weezing goes boom you die instantly.

Smokescreen sucks, but if you setup a Swords Dance, Beedrill OHKOs everything with Twineedle at +2 save Weezing whom you do 2/3s to (though Muk is a damage roll to OHKO). Weezing went boom and I died from full again. So you boost up, dent Weezing and die. Pretty good.

Chansey (43): Psychic OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs Muk (leaving it in red). Amusingly, not even a crit Sludge from Muk OHKOs Chansey, leaving it with 55 HP. Weezing is 2HKOed by Psychic but if it goes boom you die. Being outsped by Weezing is annoying. Good overall.

Cloyster (43): OHKOs Koffing with Surf and just barely 2HKOs Muk and Weezing with Surf. Not even Selfdestruct from Weezing threatens you. Easy sweep.
Cloyster (43): Kadabra 4HKOs with Psybeam while you 2HKO with Surf. You 2HKO Mime with Surf, even 2HKOing if it sets up Light Screen on your first attack (you outspeed). Venomoth is 2HKOed by Surf.

Chansey (43): Gave Chansey Soft-boiled over Minimize here. Kadabra does like 20 damage with Psybeam while you 3HKO it with Thunderbolt (also I paralyzed Kadabra). Mr. Mime outspeeds but you 2HKO with Thunderbolt. Venomoth is left in red from Psychic and paralyzes me. Amusingly, I paralyzed Zam with Thunderbolt too. Alakazam does nothing to you and is 4HKOed by Thunderbolt, but RECOVER exists.

Even with a Special drop from Kadabra’s Psychic, I was still able to get to Alakazam before being PP stalled out. You can Sing it if you want to but you’re still 4HKOing.

Charizard (42): Slash OHKOs Kadabra but 2HKOs everything else, unfortunately. However, Charizard CAN setup on Kadabra fine, even a critical hit Psychic only does 2/3s of your HP. +2 Dig OHKOs Venomoth and Alakazam, though it seems like it’s a tossup whether you outspeed Zam or not, and potential Reflect stuff. At +2, Barrier from Mr. Mime turns Dig back into a 2HKO.

It’s worth noting that when I was unboosted, not even a crit Dig OHKOs Venomoth (and yes, I know crits ignore stat buffs). Alakazam looks like a 3HKO with Psybeam. Easy sweep but it’s mostly due to the Ai’s inability to threaten you outside Kadabra. Charizard’s high Special keeps it safe here.

Beedrill (42): You need Kadabra to leave you alive with Psybeam so you can Agility for Zam (you outspeed all the others without Agility, by the way). OHKO on Kadabra, Mr. Mime and Venomoth with Twineedle (though Venomoth seems to be damage rolls). Without Agility, Zam Psybeam murders you from full. You should sweep with just a little luck.

Hypno (42): Outspeed and knock Kadabra to red with Tri Attack. It then disabled Tri Attack (upon which I finished it off with Psychic). Mime seems to be 3HKOed by Psychic and it does nothing (if you get the Special drop it looks like a roll to 2HKO). A later test revealed Tri Attack looks like rolls to 2HKO. You outspeed and murder Venomoth, upon which I wasn’t disabled anymore.

Alakazam is 3HKOed by Tri Attack and Psychic won’t do much unless you get some Special drops (and A LOT of them, even with at least 2 I couldn’t knock it to half IIRC) and Alakazam is annoying with Recover, to the point I actually ran out of PP stalling it out.

A later test revealed this Alakazam matchup is where Hypnosis shows its worth, halting Alakazam long enough for you to hopefully pick it off. Meditate at level 43 could maybe help since they can’t really touch you at all but I don’t consider it worth the move slot over Reflect ultimately.

And now for my current thoughts.

Charmander - This I honestly don't know what to feel about.

Charmander suffers from a lack of decent boss matchups before Slash (Surge isn't that notable in my opinion). While you can slog past Brock because his moves suck, it's still not fast by any means. Being kinda bad for Erika is also a huge red flag (again, you 3HKO her).

From my hazy memory from about a month ago, it does fine enough on routes. Ember does help with early Bugs. but you almost never use your STAB later unless you are picking something off (even Grass types live Ember). Around Cerulean is where Charmander gets a good bit better mook-wise, with Mega Punch / Dig + Ember 2HKOing.

Even after you get Slash, you're going to be 2HKOing stuff in bosses after which is good, but you still have to wait a long time for that sort of killing power. Once you get Slash and Zard, you're generally OHKOing or 2HKOing things to my memory, which is on par with A tier offense.

My other problem with Charmander is that it needs several TMs to function. While this is true of many Pokemon in RBY, Charmander needs Mega Punch to get by till Dig (this is acceptable, both Squirtle and Clefairy also need Mega Punch to get past their early ruts) then Dig to not whiff constantly witb Mega Punch (while not a lot of top tiers want Dig, I think it's an HGSS Dratini Game Corner situation where it's the mon relying on the move ultimately) and then Swords Dance to do stuff with Dig on a few occasions. While Dig is the biggest contested TM here, the others are by no means entirely free to Zard, and when combined with the eh bosses until Slash these minor issues add up to me.

I can maybe see it as an A tier but...I just don't know really. While it's gotten substantially better post-Slash and feels like an A now, it has a ton of little issues that make me hesitate to say "yes, this can run through the game with minimal support." I'm kind of leaning B. All Pokemon have their ruts but you have to really hog TMs with Charmander and bench it several times in bosses before it finally takes off after a long, 28-level period of mediocrity outside of the field. I'd like to see some more opinions on this. Maybe lategame will change my mind.

Weedle - The grind to Twineedle at level 20 is horrible but it generally performs great after that, being consistently a good pick in bosses. The problem is that when Twineedle is resisted or you're up against Rock / Grounds Beedrill falls flat (though Swords Dance can mitigate this, I'm not using it anymore). I don't think this should be higher than C at best thanks to the grind to Twineedle, but it preys on the multitude of Poisons and Psychics in midgame.

Drowzee - Fantastic. Psychic type. All it needs to do is get to Level 17 and it just destroys, not even needing the Psychic TM before learning it at level 37. You could almost argue S really, but there is no way ever it should be lower than A. Even with Confusion it OHKOs and 2HKOs for a long time.

Chansey - Ran into this by accident, caught on first ball. Kinda hilarious. Needs at least two Special TMs to function (I gave mine Psychic and Thunderbolt), but if you give this massive investment it performs. It could maybe see D but that encounter rate and needing TMs is a big deterrent. I think if you'd want a high Special mon, there's just a lot of better options that are easily available. Great at tanking but slowness is an issue and even some mook physical moves can do a chunk of HP.

Shelldler - Meh. Capturing one at Level 15 via Super Rod sucks. If you grind it up it's good, 2HKOing in bosses and like never fearing mooks ever, but even if Cloyster has good boss matchups I don't see it higher than C or B (if I'm generous) solely because training a Level 15 mon when you are above 30 is just inefficient. You can Super Rod it at Seafoam Islands but I think I just went with it the level 15 version because of the mook base available at Silph Co and the routes around there, as I like doing Koga post-Silph Co. (thanks for reminding me of this info Xator_Nova).

Edit: I looked up the mons that can use Swords Dance via TM in RBY, to determine how contested the TM is. I bolded the Pokemon lines that want the TM.
  • Bulbasaur line (meh, okay for it)
  • Charmander line (wants it)
  • Bellsprout line (kinda wants it for Wrap cheese)
  • Beedrill (wants it)
  • Krabby line (probably sees use out of it)
  • Sandshrew line (doesn't need it really)
  • Oddish line (though it's not using it)
  • Paras (lol, this thing sucks)
  • Tentacool (not using it)
  • Fsrfetch'd (gets it naturally at 23, so no need)
  • Lickitung (lol)
  • Tangela (lol even more)
  • Scyther (gets it naturally at 35, but when you're spamming Slash and entirely Normal moves...)
  • Kabutops (uses Slash a lot, you'd only use Submission and Hyper Beam off Swords Dance).
  • Pinsir (see Kabutops above)
  • Mew (ineligible for tiering).
So it seems like while only a handful of lines use it, they'd still want it nonetheless.

Last edited:
Many Hours: Great Gengar analysis; my only gripe with it is that I'd only consider Dream Eater if Psychic is not available. Dream Eater is only marginally stronger than Psychic and needs a 1-turn, slightly above 50% consistent setup move (Hypnosis needs to hit off 60% and the opposing mon may not wake up immediately). I'd run Nigh Shade over it in Set 3.

DrumstickGaming: If anyone has to be sorry about slow run prgress, it's me.

Having run Arcanine through the mid-game, Charmander being B sounds correct to me. Arcanine does alright, but not much more; and it has higher ATK to boot. I'm currently waffling between B and C for Arcanine, but leaning C for a few issues (slow EXP group and over-reliance on Dig are the main ones). Zard is better off due to a more varied physical movepool and being a starter, which would explain the one-tier difference here.

Ad Shellder: If you want Shellder (or Staryu/Psyduck, for that matter) for Silph and Sabrina, I think it's best to rush Koga and make an early stint to Seafoam to catch one ~lv. 30. Saves a ton of grinding, and the mon immediately performs afterwards. Plus, it's not like Koga is the hardest leader ever.

Kinda late for this thread, but I was going to run through Yellow with this team and was wondering if I could get any opinions on TM usage.
If we test, we usually test with 4 Pokés on one team because experience towards the endgame is rather thin.
Seeing how Jynx is not available in Yellow (that in-game trade is only available in R/B and the only gen 1 game you can catch it in the wild in is Japanese Blue), you have an easy mon to drop, and Pikachu falls off hard throughout the middle stages as well (since the Yellow one cannot evolve).

As for TMs, this is what I'd always do:
Nidoking should get the TMs for Water Gun, Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, Earthquake and Blizzard. The first three are not contested in your team and help King out tremendously. Earthquake and Blizzard could also go to Blastoise, but Toise an learn Dig and needs Ice Beam throughout the midgame more than Nidoking.
Blastoise should get Bubblebeam, Dig and Ice Beam always. Together with HM Surf and a Normal-type move that is the best coverage Blastoise can get. As for the Normal move itself, I'd recommend to use Mega Punch until you get HM Strength, you could also use Body Slam.
Dodrio should get a reliable STAB until you get Drill Peck. I'd recommend Body Slam here; if you want to use that elsewhere you should use Tri-Attack and maybe Double-Edge. If you are getting Hyper Beam, Dodrio is the 'mon to learn that as well.
Hitmonlee needs some kind of Normal move. Since it has a lot of free space on its moveset, I'd recommend using Double-Edge with HM Strength as a fallback; but Body Slam works as well.
This actually leaves Pikachu with Seismic Toss and Submission, two of its better moves.

Kinda late for this thread, but I was going to run through Yellow with this team and was wondering if I could get any opinions on TM usage. Of course I will write-up/record what footage I can when I have the chance.
Seismic Toss and Reflect for Pikachu.

Water Gun with Nidoking at the start. Afterwards Horn Drill if you use OHKO moves, Earthquake (or Fissure if you use OHKO moves), Thunderbolt and Blizzard.

Dodrio with Body Slam. Hyper Beam helps, too.

Blastoise with Bubble Beam, Mega Punch and Dig at the start. Afterwards Strength, Ice Beam and Fissure if you have it.

Another long overdue update to my run.

A few annotations:
-Since I was overleveled in Lavender, I decided to change my fourth team member to Growlithe (instead of Horsea). Growlithe's Slow EXP group makes up for Mr. Mime's trade EXP a bit, plus Seadra can be caught via Super Rod in Blue as well anyway.
-Since I was that overleveled, I decided to keep Gloom unevolved for the main run, but evolved it for major fights as well as one or two major stretches of trainers (which I would reset later). This has the benefit of directly comparing Petal Dance vs. Mega Drain utility.
-Both TM Body Slam and Hyper Beam (which I got shortly after Lavender Tower) can be used well by more than one member of the team; I teach them before major fights while keeping replacement moves such as Take Down and Swift for the main run.

HP/Atk/Def/Spe/Spc
Spearow: 15/9/15/11/5 Fly/Double-Edge/Leer->Drill Peck/Swift
Oddish: 9/5/6/2/13 Absorb->Mega Drain/Acid->Petal Dance/Take Down/Sleep Powder
Mr. Mime: 9/1/12/2/5 Confusion->Psychic/Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Seismic Toss
Growlithe: 2/14/12/9/0 Bite/Take Down/Dig/Ember
(calculated with https://tewky.github.io/dvcalculator/)

Fearow (29): Double-Edge really helps Fearow contribute even against this seemingly bad match-up. Kangaskhan is 2HKOed straight up, Onix is 3HKOd after one Leer, Rhyhorn is 2HKOed after one Leer. Since you are continuously taking damage (Double-Edge recoil and getting ~4HKOed by opposing attacks such as Onix's Rock Throw) you probably won't achieve a full sweep without items though.

Gloom (30): OHKOs Onix and Rhydon, can't deal with Kangaskhan well (Kanga outspeeds and deals tons of damage (can 3HKO), you 6HKO. Sleep Powder helps, but doesn't completely turn the match-up).

Vileplume(30): Onix/Rhydon are still OHKOs. Kanga outspeeds and 5HKOs with Bite, Body Slam 4HKOs. Watch out for crits and flinches, or use Sleep Powder.

Mr. Mime(30): Confusion almost OHKOs Onix & Rhydon, Thunderbolt deals ~80% to Kangaskhan. Clean sweep with Psychic.

Arcanine (26): Onix & Rhyhorn are 2HKOed by Dig, loses vs. Kanga (gets 3HKOed while Dig 4HKOs).
Arcanine (28): Dig still does not OHKO Onix or Rhyhorn, but Dig now 3HKOs Kangskhan while Arcanine barely lives.

Fearow(30): Fly OHKOs Victreebel, barely misses the OHKOs on Tangela/Vileplume who cannot do much back to you.

Gloom(30): Cheeses Erika due to 'Good AI' always choosing to Poisonpowder. Take Down 4HKOs both Vileplume and Victreebel (barely missing the Victreebel 3HKO), Acid 3HKOs Tangela.
Vileplume(30): Acid 2HKOs Tangela, Body Slam 3HKOs Victreebel and barely misses the 3HKO on Vileplume.

Mr. Mime(30): Confusion 2HKOs both Victreebel & Vileplume and 3HKOs Tangela. Lost my notes on whether Psychic OHKOs Vic/Plume, unfortunately.

Arcanine(28): Dig 2HKOs Vic, 3HKOs Plume. Tagela is 2HKOed by Ember.

Fearow(38->39 after Growlithe): Pidgeot is 2RKOed by Drill Peck + Double-Edge. Gyara would be 2HKOed by Double-Edge, Hydro Pump hurts and probably kills after 2 rounds of Double-Edge recoil though.
After that, Drill Peck OHKOs both Growlithe and Alakazam and almost OHKOs Venusaur.

Vileplume(38->39 after Growlithe): Can set up a Swords Dance on Pidgeot since Wing Attack only 5HKOs. After one SD, both Pidgeot ad Gyarados get 2HKOed by Body Slam. Growlithe and Alakazam get OHKOed, though you probably need to take a turn to heal on Growlithe since Alakazam outspeeds and 2HKOs with Psybeam. Venusaur gets Poisonpowder-cheesed.

Mr. Mime(39->40 after Gyara): TBolt is a range to OHKO Pidgeot and cleanly OHKOes Gyara. Psychic OHKOes Growlithe, Seismic Toss 3HKOes
Kazzam (who can't do much back to you), Psychic OHKOes Venu.

Arcanine(39): Pidgeot needs the cmbination of Body Slam and Hyper Beam to be 2HKOed. The same combination is a range to KO Gyara, but Gyara OHKOes with Hydro Pump.
Growlithe gets OHKOed by Dig or almost OHKOed by Body Slam. Kazzam outspeeds and 3HKOes with Psybeam, but is OHKOed by Dig. Venu gets 3-4HKOed by Body Slam (range) and doesn't do much back.

Fearow(39): Double-Edge misses the OHKO on Nidorino, Drill Peck + Swift does 2RKO (Hyper Beam is an OHKO).
Drill Peck is a range to 2HKO Kangashan, Drill Peck + Double-Edge always 2RKOs.
Double-Edge is a 4HKO on Rhyhorn, does not quite 2HKO Nidoqueen.

Vileplume(38): Nidorino is 3RKOed by 3*Body Slam or SD + 2*Body Slam. Kangaskhan is 2HKOed by either Petal Dance or Body Slam(after SD). Rhyhorn gets OHKOed by your Grass STAB. Nidoqueen gets 3HKOed by either Petal Dance or Body Slam after SD.

Mr. Mime(40): Psychic OHKOs Nidorino + Rhyhorn, Nidoqueen & Kangaskhan avoid the OHKO.
Since my Special IV on Mime is low, I retried the fight with a Calcium and OHKOed Nidoqueen, Kangaskhan still avoided the OHKO.

Arcanine(39): Dig OHKOs Nidorino, 2HKOs Rhyhorn + Nidoqueen, 3HKOs Kangaskhan.

Current impressions:
-After the much needed upgrades for its movepool, Fearow continues to perform admirably and contribute even against match-ups that look bad on paper. Honestly, if I were to take its performance in this segment alone it would have a good case for A tier. Overall though, I will have to go with a high B tier (also I do expect it to fall off a little towards the endgame)

-Gloom and Vileplume continue to be iffy. Granted this part of the game is just about the worst for a Grass-type with Ghosts and Poison-types galore (Bird Catchers on routes 13-15 are no better). Gloom can get through it due to Sleep Powder (Mega Drain also helps offset Take Down recoil), Vileplume performs slightly better, but not by a lot; it will depend on the impact Petal Dance has on the run whether you should evolve Gloom ASAP or at level 38.
Either way, low C is the absolute highest Oddish should ever go; I'll stick to high D for now but a decent endgame could overturn that verdict.

-Mr. MimeVP continues to put in work like no tomorrow. Granted this is the part of the game where Psychic-types excel, but even for a Psychic-type he just continues to put in work. Thunderbolt coverage is his ace in the hole above other Psychic types, dispatching of problematic Water-types such as Gyarados and Slowbro. I've heard stories of it falling off towards the endgame and will see whether these are true; if they are not I believe you can make a case for S-tier, especially if Kadabra has been nominated for it. I'll stick to top A for now, but could see this overturned to S.

-Arcanine is an interesting case. It performs okay, 2-3HKOing most things even when underleveled, with Dig snatching quite a few OHKOs. I also found Ember to be not THAT bad (and mine comes off 0 Special IV). That said, Dig/BSlam/Ember is not the greatest coverage for this part of the game, and it's the best you can get for a non-Ninetales Fire-type. Overall, Arcanine strikes me as a solid C-tier.

My experience with Arcanine and Fearow also has me thinking Charmander should be moved down. Charizard's performance off Dig and Slash during this period should be a bit worse than Arcanine's (lower Atk stat), and Arcanine was not amazing. Arcanine's performance during this period was not amazing, and with Charizard's Ground-type attack dealing less damage than Arcanine's, it's hard to see how Charizard's performance should be significantly better even if it has better coverage/auxilliary moves in Slash and Rock Slide. Meanwhile, Fearow deals tons of damage and has means to combat its bad match-ups, yet I don't see it higher than B. I could see B-tier for Charmander due to good early-game contributions, but A-tier should be out of reach for it.

EDIT: re-worded a phrase; thanks to Xator_Nova for calling out the mistake in the post below.

Last edited:
My experience with Arcanine and Fearow also has me thinking Charmander should be moved down. Charizard's performance off Dig and Slash during this period should be a bit worse than Arcanine's (lower Atk stat), and Arcanine was not amazing.
Charmeleon Slash vs. Mew on a critical hit: 74-88 (18.3 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
Charizard Slash vs. Mew on a critical hit: 88-104 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- 1.6% chance to 4HKO
Arcanine Body Slam vs. Mew: 66-78 (16.3 - 19.3%) -- possible 6HKO

Even with the lower Atk stat, Charizard with Slash hits harder than Arcanine with Body Slam at similar levels

Charmeleon Slash vs. Mew on a critical hit: 74-88 (18.3 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
Charizard Slash vs. Mew on a critical hit: 88-104 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- 1.6% chance to 4HKO
Arcanine Body Slam vs. Mew: 66-78 (16.3 - 19.3%) -- possible 6HKO

Even with the lower Atk stat, Charizard with Slash hits harder than Arcanine with Body Slam at similar levels
True, that statement of mine was inaccurate (and didn't account for Rock Slide at all). I should re-word that statement.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was asked to help with this list and did a run with Charizard / Gyarados / Mr. Mime / Gengar.

Here are my opinions:

Gengar should absolutely be A-tier

Although it does not come the earliest and requires you to play in a specific way to be obtained, Gengar, as a whole, is a very useful Pokemon. First of all, it can be caught at level 29 as a Haunter on the last floor of Pokemon Tower, which gives it a huge level advantage. Not to mention that Ghost, despite being useless offensively, offers it a very valuable immunity to Normal-type moves, most notably Wrap and Bind (most AIs will not use the move, although it will indeed also prevent a Ghost-type from attacking).

In terms of movepool, you want your Gengar to have Psychic / Mega Drain / Night Shade / Hypnosis. Thunderbolt, by large, is not required. Thunderbolt only speeds up the matchup against Lorelei, but even without TBolt, Gengar is taking out 3/5 of her team at worst. Psychic is the only TM that is, in any contested, and, even then, it is not on the level of moves like Body Slam, Thunderbolt, or Ice Beam. Mega Drain is pretty much uncontested, save for Grass-types. Night Shade allows Gengar to deal with opponents like Sabrina and Lorelei's Jynx and Slowbro, as well as 3HKO consistently major opponents without wasting Psychic PP. Hypnosis is a godsend; despite being inaccurate, sleep in RBY gotta be sleep in RBY, because we all know sleep is broken as hell and basically shuts down anything it hits.

And, in terms of matchups, Gengar manages to perform well. It is one of the most reliable answers to Erika due to the aforementioned Normal immunity. Sabrina has consistently 3/4 at worst of her team taken out due to Night Shade and Psychic. Giovanni fights and Koga are incredibly self-explanatory. Blaine does not threaten you much, either. Against Lorelei, it can take out at least 3 of her Pokemon and, without much effort, take out more. Bruno is a joke, and Agatha, for most parts, is also a good matchup. Gengar thrives against Lance; only Gyarados proves any threat, and it can be shut down by Hypnosis or Thunderbolt anyways. Aerodactyl has only Normal moves and the rest spam a status Psychic move on it.

here are the matchups for Gengar. Note that I tried to make them somewhat concise, so, if needed, feel free to ask for more details and I may be able to remember / dig out more. Also note that my starter for the run was Charmander, which I tested.

TMs used: Psychic, Mega Drain
Erika(30): spam Psychic and you win. Due to Ghost typing, you cannot be crippled with Wrap and Bind

Blue at Silph Co.(41): Psychic 2HKOs Pidgeot and Growlithe. Blastoise is 1v1ed very easily with Mega Drain (3HKO). Alakazam and Exeggcute are 3HKOed by Night Shade, but should be handled with Hypnosis first.

Giovanni #2(41): easy sweep. Psychic 2HKOs Kanga and OHKOs the Poisons. Mega Drain OHKOs Rhyhorn.

Koga(43): spam Psychic, like always. Weezing is put in red, rest is OHKOed.

Sabrina(44): Night Shade 2HKOs Mr. Mime and Kadabra. Kadabra 3HKOs with Psybeam. It's best to put both of them to sleep. Venomoth is OHKOed by Psychic. Alakazam is 3HKOed by Night Shade and using Hypnosis on it is also essential.

Blaine(47): 2HKOs everything bar Arcanine, with the only potential threat before Arcanine being Fire Spin from Ponyta. Arcanine can be made easy by putting it to sleep.

Giovanni #3(48): OHKOs Rhyhorn with any move. Dugtrio is 2HKOed, but it fails to kill with Dig. Nidoqueen is OHKOed by Psychic, while Nidoking is rolls. Rhydon is OHKOed by Mega Drain and 2HKOed by Psychic.

Blue at VR(48): kills Rhyhorn with Mega Drain. Growlithe is OHKOed by Psychic, while Pidgeot and Blastoise are 3HKOed. Exeggcute and Alakazam can be dealt with the combination of Night Shade and Hypnosis. Blastoise also 3HKOs Gengar, but since you are faster, you will generally win, as long as you are healthy enough.

Lorelei(51): Mega Drain 4HKOs Dewgong and 3HKOs Cloyster. Jynx is 3HKOed by Night Shade and only threatens Gengar if it lands a crit on Ice Punch. Slowbro and Lapras derp and spam status moves on it, but Lapras's is Confuse Ray. Lapras is a good target for Hypnosis. Both can be muscled through with Night Shade, if you want to preserve PP. This is the only time where Thunderbolt can noticeably change the matchup, but even without it, Gengar still does fine.

Bruno(51): Psychic 2HKOs Machamp and OHKOs the rest. Ez

Agatha(52): Psychic 2HKOs everything, with level 60 one being rolls. However, you outspeed everything. In general, it won't struggle much against Arbok, Haunter, and Golbat, while ace Gengar doesn't have Hypnosis to abuse Dream Eater with. Only the first one can prove very annoying.

Lance(52): a good one. Gyarados can be shut down by Hypnosis and 4HKOed by Psychic. Aero has only Normal-type moves. The Dragons have a Psychic status move like Agility which they will spam. You can use Night Shade here to preserve PP.

Champion Blue(52): Gengar 3HKOs Pidgeot with Psychic. Alakazam is 3HKOed by Night Shade, but is dealt with only with Hypnosis (you are faster). Eggy and Rhydon possess no moves to threaten you with reliably, so those are easy. Arcanine, likewise, cannot threaten you much, so you can take it out easily. Blastoise can deal heavy damage with Hydro Pump, however, so putting it to sleep is essential here. Great matchup, overall

I think Gyarados has a case for A

Now, I understand that Magikarp period is downright horrible and I have no qualms about that. However, I discovered through my tests that Gyarados does not need many TMs, most notably Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. Ice Beam is literally useless and Thunderbolt only helps for Lorelei significantly. The only TMs that I taught it were Bubble Beam and Double-Edge, the latter of which is useful for Water resists. Per tier descriptions, Gyarados fills A-tier perfectly; it has a downside, but is otherwise great. I never felt Gyarados was mediocre or anything. Here are logs below:

TMs used: Bubble Beam, Double-Edge
Misty(20): wins

Blue #3(26): wins easily

Lt. Surge(26): loses to Raichu, but beats the rest

Giovanni (all fights): spam Water STAB and you win

Blue #4(30): Bite OHKOs and 2HKOs Kadabra and Exeggcute, respectively, Dragon
Rage 2HKOs Wartortle, Bubble Beam 2HKOs Pidgeotto and OHKOs Growlithe

Erika(31): Dragon Rage 2HKOs Tangela and 3HKOs the rest. As Victreebel never spams Wrap, you are consistently taking it and Tangela out. Vileplume depends on if you manage to live two attacks from it or if you heal. Tangela spams Bind, but since it's 2HKOed, you beat it as soon as you get out of Bind

Blue #5(42): Pidgeot is 2HKOed and Growlithe is OHKOed by Bubblebeam (I did not try Surf because I had forgotten to, but Hydro Pump doesn't OHKO Pidgeot). Exeggcute and Zam are 2HKOed and OHKOed respectively by Double-Edge. Blastoise is 3HKOed by Hydro Pump. You can also use Double-Edge here, but I don't recall much with that

Koga(43): Surf OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs the rest. Easy matchup

Sabrina(43): OHKOs Kadabra with Bite and Mr. Mime with Double-Edge. Venomoth and Zam are 2HKOed by Double-Edge, but the former has Stun Spore and the latter can set up Reflect and turn it into a 3HKO and spam Recover forever (unless you get a crit?).

Blaine(46): wins (it can take out the whole Gym with no healing)

Blue #6(48): Surf 2HKOs Pidgeot and OHKOs Growlithe and Rhyhorn. Double-Edge 2HKOs Zam and Exeggcute, with the latter crippling you with Leech Seed. Blastoise can be 1v1ed if you are at somewhere half HP, since Surf is a 4HKO and it either spamas Skull Bash or goes for Bite, which doesn't deal much

Lorelei(51 / 52): Dewgong is 3HKOed by Double-Edge, but Growl cripples it for the whole fight. Slowbro never attacks you, but taking it down is gonna be slow. Jynx is 2HKOed by Double-Edge. Lapras finishes you off. Hyper Beam doesn't change much, beyond OHKOing Jynx. Thunderbolt, however, makes this matchup very good.

Bruno(52): Surf spam wins

Agatha(52): Surf 2HKOs Arbok and Golbat, 3HKOs Gengar #1 and Haunter, and 4HKOs ace Gengar. Gengar is faster and can prove annoying by statusing you.

Lance(52): Hyper Beam KOs his own Gyara after two Bites. Dragonairs are OHKOs on rolls, I think it's on the higher end. Aero is killed by Surf. DNite generally beats you. TBolt doesn't OHKO his Gyarados and Ice Beam isn't a guaranteed OHKO on Dragonairs and never OHKOed DNite.

Champion Blue(52): Pidgeot is KOed by Hyper Beam after a Surf. Arcanine is 2HKOed, while Rhydon is OHKOed by Surf. TBolt seems to be a 2HKO on Blastoise. If Zam doesn't go for Reflect, you can easily kill it with Hyper Beam. Exeggutor is annoying, as it's 4HKOed by Ice Beam, so don't bother

Mr. Mime is very close to S, but would definitely be the weakest if it were there

I compared Mr. Mime to Drumstick's Kadabra logs to see if Mr. Mime performs well enough. There were some differences:

- Mr. Mime misses out the matchup against Misty, as Mr. Mime will be disobeying if you try to use it
- Mr. Mime lacks Psybeam and thus cannot use it as base move and Psychic for stronger targets
- Mr. Mime, however, can learn Thunderbolt, giving it a bit more utility against certain threats
- Mr. Mime has boosted Exp., making it easier to train
- Kadabra learns Psychic by level, while Mr. Mime will eat the TM. This is speaking more about Kadabra's tier, though
- Kadabra outspeeds Agatha's Gengar, making it better than Mr. Mime

with that said, I think it's not easy to make a case for Mr. Mime to S. If, theoritically, we had tier split, Mr. Mime would definitely be A+ at worst, though.

TMs used: Psychic, Thunder Wave, Seismic Toss. Also used Thunderbolt for the E4
Blue #3(25): Raticate is OHKOed and Wartortle and Pidgeotto are 2HKOed by Confusion. Kadabra is 2HKOed by Seismic Toss.

Lt. Surge(26): Confusion 2HKOs Voltorb and Pikachu (latter is rolls for an OHKO) and 3HKOs Raichu. Even though TBolt doesn't deal much damage, you can use Light Screen to further improve the matchup.

Giovanni (all fights): spam Psychic STAB

Erika(30): Psychic 2HKOs everything. It's best to be at level 29 to sweep so you avoid disobediance

Blue #5 (41): 2HKOs Growlithe, Pidgeot, and Blastoise with Psychic. Zam can be taken down with Seismic Toss + TWave, potentially. Avoid Exeggcute, as it can cripple you.

Koga: Psychic

Sabrina(43): OHKOs Venomoth with Psychic. Kadabra and Mr. Mime are 2HKOed by Seismic Toss, the former can Disable and/or spam Recover forever.

Blaine(47): Sub on Growlithe, which cannot break the Substitute unless it crits. Psychic OHKOs it and Ponyta. The rest are 2HKOed, with Rapidash derping and using Tail Whip on the sub

Lorelei(51): Psychic 3HKOs Dewgong and 2HKOs Cloyster. Slowbro can be taken down by Seismic Toss spam, whle Jynx is 3HKOed by that, especially if you Subbed on Slowbro, as Jynx tends to go for weaker moves like Doubleslap. Lapras is 3HKOed by Psychic, but you are often too weakened to do much. Thunderbolt, I believe, did not improve the matchup by a large margin

Bruno(51): hahaha Psychic against low Special Fighting-types go brrrr

Agatha(52): beats Golbat, Arbok, and Haunter with all of them being OHKOs, Haunter being rolls. Gengar are faster and can 2HKO or 3HKO with Night Shade, depending on the level. However, they are 2HKOed by Psychic

Lance(52): by far the worst matchup for Mr. Mime. It can 2HKO Dragonair with Psychic, but they almot OHKO it with Hyper Beam. TBolt even fails to OHKO Gyarados. Aero is also 2HKOed by Psychic, but can easily pick you off.

Champion Blue(52): Psychic 3HKOs Pidgeot (TBolt is a 2HKO). Zam is a stalemate. Eggy is 4HKOed by Toss. Arcanine is 3HKOed, and Rhydon is 2HKOed

Charmander is sort of between B and A

I believe Charmander is a lot better than most things in B. However, it is true that Charmander is definitely weaker than some of the things I would classify as A-tier. So it's really hard to give a tier to Charmander. I guess we just need to see if it's closer to B or A. Feel free to discuss my logs.

TMs used: Mega Punch, Earthquake, SD for some fights.

Brock(14): Doable, but the worst starter for the job. 6HKOs Geodude with Ember and has to spam Growl on Onix every time it goes for Bide, but the fight is doable without healing

Blue #2(20): Mega Punch OHKOs Rattata and 3HKOs Squirtle and Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto can be annoying with Sand-Attack. Squirtle is generally defeated if it goes for Tail Whip at any point

Misty(24): gets past only Staryu with Rage spam

Blue #3(25): Mega Punch OHKOs Kadabra, 3HKOs Wartortle, and 2HKOs the rest. Wartortle's actually not a big issue since it has Bubble as STAB

Lt. Surge(26): 2HKOs, OHKOs, and 3HKOs Voltorb, Pikachu, and Raichu, respectively, with Mega Punch. The matchup, as a whole, is good with Dig, which deals with the team with no problems

Giovanni #1(30): actually not a good matchup. Kangaskhan beats you, for most parts, and you 3HKO at best his Rock-types with Ember. Matchup is likely better with Dig, but never tried it

Blue #4(30): 2HKOs Pidgeotto and Growlithe with Mega Punch, while Kadabra is OHKOed. Exeggcute is 2HKOed by Ember, while Wartortle is 3HKOed by Mega Punch

Erika(31): 3HKOs everything with Ember. The matchup comes down to how long you spend in Bind / Wrap and if you land some crits to facilitate the matchup.

Blue #5(42): Slash 2HKOs Pidgeot and Exeggcute with Slash, but the latter statuses you. Growlithe and Zam are OHKOed. Zard 3HKOs Blastoise with Slash and can potentially live two Water Guns if healthy

Koga(43): Slash 2HKOs Koffing and 3HKOs the rest. The matchup is better with Earthquake, as Koffing is OHKOed and the rest is 2HKOed. No SD needed

Sabrina(43): spams Slash. Kadabra is OHKOed, rest is 2HKOed. Easy matchup

Blaine(47): can win the matchup without EQ. Slash OHKOs Growlithe, 3HKOs Arcanine, and 2HKOs the rest. EQ does make the matchup faster, but Zard isn't losing here anyways

Giovanni(48): EQ doesn't provide any benefits here. Flamethrower and EQ 3HKO Rhydon and 2HKO the rest, with Slash OHKOing Dugtrio. Only trouble here is Body Slam paralysis

Blue #6(48): 2HKOs Rhyhorn and Pidgeot and OHKOs Exeggcute with Flamethrower. Growlithe is almost OHKOed by Slash. Alakazam is 2HKOed by Slash and Blastoise generally beats it

Lorelei(51): there is a way to sweep here, albeit not fully reliable. SD on Dewgong, which 3HKOs with Aurora Beam, and use Earthquake. If it goes for Rest next turn, you've won, for most parts, since you can set up two more SDs. At that point, EQ OHKOs or puts in range for Super Potion.

Alternatively, it can 1v1 Dewgong, Cloyster if Flamethrower puts it in Super Potion Range, Slowbro, which is 4HKOed by Slash and can potentially spam Withdraw, and Jynx is always defeated, since Flamethrower puts it in Super Potion range.

Bruno(51): Flamethrower OHKOs Hitmons, 2HKOs Onix, and 3HKOs Machamp, with them not being able to threaten them at all

Agatha(52): Gengar and Arbok are 2HKOed by Earthquake, with the latter also being 2HKOed by Flamethrower. Golbat is 3HKOde by Thrower and Slash. Haunter is OHKOed by Earthquake. Given that Gengar can status you and Flamethrower doesn't 2HKO them, EQ is somewhat needed to make the matchup good

Lance(52): beats Dragonair by 2HKOing them with Slash. DNite is 4HKOed by Slash and can be beaten if it derps and uses Hyper Beam then Slam. Gyara is 3HKOed by Slash and it doesn't OHKO with Hydro Pump

Champion Blue(52): 3HKOs Pidgeot with Flamethrower, but takes heavy damage from Sky Attack. Alakazam is 2HKOed by Slash, but you need it to derp and use Reflect at least once and Psybeam to win this (ideally, it goes for two Reflects). Rhydon is 4HKOed by Flamethrower and often derps, but can deal damage with Fury Attack. Arcanine is 2HKOed by EQ and it spams Roar. Exeggutor is 3HKOed by Flamethrower but can be annoying with Hypnosis. Blastoise always wins

I also started a run with Clefairy / Drowzee / Tentacool / Jolteon. I have reached Lt. Surge and will make a new post about this run.

Also, I am sorry if I am wishi-washy with my nominations. RBY is a very different game to what I am used to test, so it's harder for me to make definitive nominations

e: I posted by accident too early. I will edit the post as fast as I can, apologies
e2: done, sorry again
e3: also added list of TMs I used to make it easier to agree or disagree with my noms

Last edited:
Ryota Mitarai I found your noms to not be wishy washy at all. You make a lot of good points about multiple mons that are really hard to tier because there's a lot of variables on them and they don't necessarily have easy comparisons to other 'mons (Gyara and Mime in particular).

You're a little lower overall on Thunderbolt in your run, which makes sense given your rival has Blastoise instead of Gyarados. The rival's Gyara gets really powerful attacks earlier than its learnset (I believe even the Pokemon Tower one has Hydro Pump, and off 100 Special it hurts) and Thunderbolt makes dealing with it much easier; meanwhile it takes Blastoise a lot of time to get even a decent Water STAB via level up (Water Gun at 15 is followed by Hydro Pump at 52...). I do agree Gengar and Gyarados are two mons that can stomach not getting it though (since Psychic and STAB Bubblebeam provide good alternatives respectively).

I think we can all agree that Gyara would be an easy S-tier if you were gifted a lv. 20 Gyarados immediately before Misty; the tricky part is to figure out how badly we want to punish the grind to lv. 20. I don't feel strongly about Karp's placement at all.

Mime lacking Psybeam is not a huge issue IMO since Thunderbolt is about as strong as STAB Psybeam; making it the go-to attack until Psychic while granting more flexibility than Psybeam thereafter. That said, Mime is dependent on Thunderbolt to even remotely be comparable to Kadabra and being an outsider, for all the boni it grants, means you can't use it willy-nilly until you've beaten Erika (you'll reach level 30 VERY quickly); I can certainly get behind the argument that these two flaws prevent Mime from being S.

Looking at the logs you posted for Charmander, I feel like its performance is somewhat similar to the likes of Fearow or Dodrio (both of which I'd consider high B-tier).
After having another look at what's in B currently, I agree with your sentiment that Charmander is a lot better than what's in there right now; though I think that's more because there's quite some stuff in there that could easily go into C-tier (Exeggcute, for instance).

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
the Thunderbolt thing you said is certainly fair, though, as you said, it does not really change much

anyways, I did a run with Clefable / Hypno / Tentacruel / Jolteon. Clefable's test was to determine which TMs are highly needed to consider it S.

For the purposes of this test, I never taught Clefable Psychic, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. The TMs I taught it were Tri Attack and Double-Edge, along with Mega Punch for the earlier portion of the game. Also taught it Water Gun, because nothing really contests it (bar Nidos, though they kind of contest everything against Clef, including the Moon Stone). I believe you can also just run Strength instead of Tri Attack, though you will have to sidetrack a bit to get it without wasting the Tri Attack TM (though at least you also get Surf earlier this way).

Through the tests, Clefable managed to get by with just Mega Punch instead of Body Slam till I reached Celadon. However, starting the mid-game, I noticed Clefable often failed to OHKO major bosses's Pokemon, unless they were on the frailer physical side (like Blue's Kadabra). I often had to 2HKO every single Pokemon on a boss' team in order to sweep and I sometimes even failed to 2HKO with Tri Attack (Double-Edge sometimes nailed them, though). Clefable also became really meh at the Elite Four; Lorelei was downright inefficient, Bruno actually threatened it with Fighting STABs, and Agatha is basically not doable if you have only Normal STABs. Lance wasn't super ideal either and I could take out only two of Blue's Pokemon without healing.

I did some analyses and theorymonning and came to conclusion that Psychic was by far the most important TM Clefable needs in order to be amazing. There are in total 6 fights that are much better with Psychic than with mere Normal STABs. Those are: Erika, Koga, Giovanni #2, Giovanni #3, Bruno, and Agatha. Giovanni fights are doable with Water Gun, but Psychic makes the matchups against the Nido lines much faster. Erika's stuff can be 2HKOed by Double-Edge, but no recoil is always better. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt did not seem too defining for Clefable; Ice Beam would improve Lance and Thunderbolt would improve Lorelei. Outside of specific targets on Blue's team, they did not seem necessary.

I am not going to nominate Clefairy to a specific rank yet, because we need to establish one thing. Clefable without Psychic has an A-tier performnce. So the real question is, "is the Psychic TM contested enough that we would sanction Pokemon for heavily depending on the TM?". My personal answer is yes. Using Clefairy essentially necessitates that you spare the Psychic TM for it if you want it to perform as an S-tier, meaning you rob other Pokemon out of it. This is similar to my stance for Mr. Mime, which would not be S-tier if you weren't to teach it Psychic. But again, this is just my personal stance and I am fine with S if we agree that Psychic TM is not contested enough and are consistent about it (for example, Mr. Mime has a better case for S if we consider Psychic not contested enough). Regardless, with or without those TMs, Clefairy is still an A-tier at worst, because it does not need that many TMs and performs well, for most parts.

And before I am accused of "not using it correctly cause no Psychic", remember that the whole point of the test was to determine if it was that important. And yes, it is.

logs are below. TMs used: Mega Punch, Double-Edge, Tri Attack, Water Gun

Blue #2(20): 2HKOs Pidgeotto and Bulba and OHKOs Rattata with Mega Punch. Switch out against Abra if you have accuracy debuffs to remove them

Misty(21): 2HKOs Staryu with Mega Punch, putting it in range for Pound, assuming it didn't go for X Defense before the first successful Mega Punch. Starmie is a 3HKO with Mega Punch. An immediate X Defense turns it into a 4HKO. Starmie needs a few Water Guns to take you down, with Bubble beam being more dangerous. Based on tests, I estimated that you need as little as three Mega Punches (one for Stary, two for Starmie, both finished off by Pound) and as much as six, depending on when the AI uses X Defense

Blue #3(24): Mega Punch OHKOs Kadabra and 2HKOs the rest. It doesn't take too much damage and thus it is not very threatened.

Lt. Surge(25): Mega Punch puts Voltorb in range for Pound and OHKOs Pikachu, outspeeding it. Raichu 3HKOs it with Thunderbolt and Mega Punch 2HKOs Raichu, however, a Growl turns it into a 3HKO. Regardless, the matchup is doable, as Raichu does not always pick Thunderbolt.

Giovanni #1(30): Water Gun OHKOs the Rocks. Kangaskhan is 3HKOed by Tri Attack or Double-Edge. If it goes for Rage, you win. However, it is faster and can potentially flinch you, making it somewhat annoying.

Blue #4(31): OHKOs Kadabra and Growlithe and 2HKOs the rest with Tri Attack. No issues

Erika(31): Tri Attack 3HKOs everything, while Double-Edge 2HKOs. It gets 4HKOed by Victreebel's Razor Leaf and Vileplume's Petal Dance. Tangela is only annoying. You are likely sweeping, based on tests, especially if you get Poisonpowdered, as that means you are not getting random sleep.

Blue #5(40): Tri Attack 3HKOs Pidgeot, Gyarados, and Venusaur and OHKOs the rest. It is 3HKOed by Hydro Pump and Razor Leaf, with Venusaur even being faster than you. The rest I do not recall posing any threat to me

Giovanni #2(40): Tri Attack 2HKOs Nidorino and 3HKOs Kangas and Nidoqueen. Water Gun OHKOs Rhyhorn. If Kanga doesn't derp, it can beat you.

Koga(43): Tri Attack 2HKOs Koffing, 3HKOs Muk, and 4HKOs Weezing. Weezing generally beats you when you reach it. You are likely taking out 3/4 of his team while taking lots of damage.

Sabrina(43): Tri Attack OHKOs Kadabra and 2HKOs the rest. I do not recall ever being threatened at all, so I assume the matchup is good

Blaine(46): Tri Attack 3HKOs Arcanine and 2HKOs the rest. Growl will hinder its sweeping capabilities here. Arcanine also deals heavy damage to you if it crits.

Giovanni #3(47): Water Gun OHKOs Rhyhorn, 2HKOs Rhydon, and 3HKOs Nidos. Dugtrio is OHKOed by Tri Attack. If you get poisons and crits, you may not actually sweep this fight, but it's doable.

Blue #6(47): Tri Attack 3HKOs Gyarados and Pidgeot, 2HKOs Alakazam and Growlithe, and seems to be a 4HKO on Venusaur. Rhyhorn falls to Water Gun. Sweep is pretty hard, as you take heavy damage constantly, but you should be taking down Pidgeot, Growlithe, Rhyhorn, and Gyarados consistently, based on tests. Alakazam's Reflect and crit Psybeams pose some difficulties, while Razor Leaf deals heavy damage. I only swept once due to AI derping

Lorelei(51): Tri Attack seems to be a 3HKO on Dewgong. Cloyster is 4HKOed by Double-Edge and can wear you down enough to need healing. Slowbro just wastes your Tri Attack PP with Withdraw. Jynx is 2HKOed by Tri Attack. Lapras doesn't take much damage from Double-Edge and finishes it off

Bruno(51): Tri Attack 3HKOs Hitmons and seems to be a 4HKO On Machamp. Machamp and Hitmonlee can pretty much kill it on the spot with a Fighting STAB. Water Gun OHKOs Onix

Agatha(51): If you didn't teach it some good TMs, you are not getting past the Ghosts at any point. Tri Attack 3HKOs the non-Ghost-types without facing difficulties.

Lance(51): Double-Edge 2HKOs Dragonair, but it takes heavy damage from all the Hyper Beams and recoils, so you are limited to that

Blue(51): Tri Attack 3HKOs Pidgeot and Arcanine. Water Gun 2HKOs Rhydon. Double-Edge 2HKOs Zam and 3HKOs Gyara. You are only beating Pidgeot and Rhydon without needing healing

Discounting the starting level, Drowzee checks all criteria for S-tier. Drowzee comes early, has strong matchups throughout the game, and is even relatively self-sufficient, because it learns Psychic by level. The only TMs that you can perhaps teach it are Tri Attack and Body Slam. It also has Hypnosis, which is incredibly useful. I also found myself using Confusion for route cleaning and some bosses and it did its job well enough, thus preserving Psychic PP.

The time between Confusion and Psychic is not bad at all. Hypno can hold out with Confusion until then just fine.

The main issue with Drowzee is the starting level. When you obtain it, it can be level 9, 11, 13, or 15. The problem is that more often than not you re catching a level 9 one, because the higher level ones seem to be rarer. Drowzee has a terrible movepool until it learns Confusion at level 17. Therefore, you need to baby it for some time till it learns Confusion. I even gave it Body Slam for that purpose, and it still struggled to get up to that level. If you were to disregard this incovenience, Drowzee is by all criteria an S-tier. However, unless getting a level 15 is actually easier than I think, then perhaps that could potentially make it more of an A-tier. But I could live with any rank, really, I just need the level encounter part clarified to me if you need a definitive nomination.

TMs used: Tri Attack, Body Slam for grinding

Blue #3(25): Headbutt 2HKOs Kadabra and Confusion spam covers the rest with no problems.

Lt. Surge(25): I tried this fight without evolving to see how it'd perform. Confusion 2HKOs Voltorb and Pikachu, the former can deal crucial damge with Sonic Boom, making the matchup against Raichu more difficult. Raichu is 4HKOed by Confusion and Raichu 3HKOs with Thunderbolt, though it rarely picked it. You can also shut it down with Hypnosis anyways. I never tried Hypno, but I assume it's much better. The best way to go here is just have Drowzee 1v1 Raichu.

Giovanni #1(30): spam Confusion, no threats here.

Blue #4(30): Confusion OHKOs Ivysaur, 2HKOs Growlithe and Pidgeotto, and 3HKOs Gyarados. Kadabra is OHKOed by Tri Attack. Gyarados looks like the only member that can actually threaten you.

Erika(30): Confusion 2HKOs the Poison-types and 3HKOs Tangela. Victreebel can be annoying with sleep, but you are faster and can shut it down with Hypnosis, if needed. Tangela and Vileplume are annoying at best and do not threaten much, as the latter goes for offensive move instead of Sleep Powder.

Blue #5(40): Psychic 2HKOs Pidgeot and Venusaur, 3HKOs Gyarados, and OHKOs Growlithe. Alakazam is 2HKOed by Tri Attack. Gyarados is the only Pokemon that threatens you, the rest are basically non-threats to Hypno.

Giovanni #2(40): haha, Psychic go brrr

Koga(41): haha, Psychic go brrr

Sabrina(42): Tri Attack 2HKOs Kadabra and Mr. Mime and 3HKOs Alakazam. Venomoth is outsped and killed by Psychic. Hypno is never threatened throughout the matchup, so Hypno should be able to sweep safely.

Blaine(46): outspeeds everything. Psychic OHKOs the unevolved stuff, 2HKOs Rapidash, and 3HKOs Arcanine and is never threatened throughout the matchup.

Giovanni #3(46): haha, Psychic go brrr

Blue #6(47): Psychic OHKOs Growlithe and Rhyhorn and 2HKOs the rest bar Zam, which seems to be a 2HKO with Tri Attack. I managed to sweep without healing, although I was left at red. Venusaur's Razor Leaf was a 4HKO, in particular. Bar Gyarados perhaps, nothing else really deals anything noteworthy

Lorelei(51): Psychic 3HKOs Dewgong, with a Confusion in the middle keeping it as a 3HKO anyways. Cloyster is 2HKOed. Jynx is 2 or 3HKOed, idr exactly, by Tri Attack, but its Ice Punch doesn't deal much, so just Hypnosis it. Lapras is 3HKOed by Psychic and definitely needs to be put to sleep. Don't bother with Slowbro due to Amnesia, but you can put it to sleep for an opponent.

Bruno(52): Confusion OHKOs Onix #1, Hitmons, and potentially Onix #2, while 2HKOing Machamp. Nice way to preserve PP for Psychic

Agatha(52): Psychic OHKOs Haunter, Golbat, and Arbok and 2HKOs Gengar. However, Gengar are faster and can be annoying with Hypnosis. You need at least 7 Psychic PPs left to win this matchup, as Confusion is very unreliable here.

Lance(52): Psychic 2HKOs Dragonair and Aerodactyl and 4HKOs the rest. However, it will be taking Hyper Beams often, so you are gonna be able to take down only Dragonairs.

Champion Blue(52): Psychic 2HKOs Venusaur, Pidgeot, and Rhydon. Arcanine and Gyarados are 3HKOed. Alakazam is 3HKOed by Tri Attack. As a whole, the matchup isn't bad, but you want to put a lot of things to sleep, aka everything bar Rhydon, in order to secure KOs.

I am not going to go into much detail here, as it's pretty straightfoward. Jolteon is incredibly strong with Thunderbolt, but it's also incredibly useless without it. I tried Thundershock for route cleaning and it wasn't super ideal there. It only managed to OHKO the Pokemon of trainers like Birdkeepers. With Thunderbolt, it generally manages to get past most matchups incredibly fast, though.

I realize Thunder is a thing, but it's 70% accuracy, so that isn't much of an improvement.

I think B-tier is fine for it, given its nature as a double-edge sword; incredibly strong or incredibly useless.

TMs used: Thunderbolt
Giovanni #1(29): Cannot get past the Rocks. Thunderbolt 2HKOs Kanga

Blue #4(30): Ivysaur is 3HKOed, rest is OHKOed by Thunderbolt

Jolteon(34, don't ask): Thunderbolt 3HKOs Tangela and 4HKOs the rest. Razor Leaf is a 4HKO, while Petal Dance looks like a 6HKO. I assume at a lower level, it would be slightly worse

Blue #5(40): bar Venusaur, Thunderbolt OHKOs everything. Venusaur is tough to get past, because of resistance + Leech Seed. Crit Thunderbolt seems to be a 3-4HKO

Giovanni #2(40): beats Kanga and Nidorino, but struggles with the rest.

Koga(43): Thunderbolt OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs the rest. It is not threatened here, so a good matchup

Sabrina(43): 3HKOs Alakazam and 2HKOs the rest. Zam's Psybeam is a 3HKO, while Kadabra's Psychic is a 4HKO, so a sweep here may not be possible if AI is smart.

Blaine(47): Thunderbolt OHKOs the unevolved and 2HKOs the rest. Not threatened at all, so good matchup

Giovanni #3(47): Double Kick can muscle past Rhyhorn and Rhydon and 2HKOs Dugtrio, which 2HKOs with Dig.

Blue #6(47): Thunderbolt OHKOs Gyara, Pidgeot, and Growlithe. Double Kick is a 3HKO on Rhyhorn. Zam is 3HKOed by Thunderbolt, but may damage you back with STABs. Venusaur needs 6 Pin Missiles to fall and can also faint you with Razor Leaf

Lorelei(52): Thunderbolt OHKOs Cloyster and Slowbro and 2HKOs the rest with no problems

Bruno(52): Thunderbolt OHKOs Hitmons and 2HKOs Machamp. Onix can be muscled through with Double Kick, but you need crits to do it fast due to X Defense.

Agatha(52): 3HKOs Gengar, OHKOs Golbat, and 2HKOs the rest. The only issue here is getting a Hypnosis in the face, but otherwise, Jolteon is not too shabby here.

Lance(53): outspeeds and OHKOs Gyara and Aero with Thunderbolt. Dragons deal heavy damage to you with Hyper Beams, but Thunderbolt 3HKOs DNite and 4HKOs Nair

Blue(53): OHKOs Pidgeot and Gyarados. Rhydon can be muscled through with DKick. Zam and Arcanine are 3HKOed, with the former 3HKOing back. Pin Missile can weaken Venusaur for a teammate.

I am leaning towards C-tier on Tentacool. I caught mine with a Super Rod at level 15. I had to put in some effort to get it to level 30, which wasn't super easy, as I had very few trainers where I could OHKO stuff with Bubble Beam. There are two matchups where Ice Beam is highly preferred, those are Erika and Lance. While Lance is Lance against Poison-types, you don't have much to muscle through him without Ice Beam. However, other than that, it's your typical Water-type, but I don't think it should be particularly high.

TMs used: Mega Drain, Ice Beam

Erika(30): Acid 4HKOs Victreebel and 3HKOs Tangela. 4HKOed by Razor Leaf. Has to deal with constant sleep. However, Ice Beam OHKOs Tangela and 2HKOs the rest.

Blue #5(40): Surf 2HKOs Pidgeot and Zam and OHKOs Growlithe. Zam can deal a lot of damage with Psybeam. Venusaur is 2HKOed by Ice Beam and is not doable without it, while Gyara seems to be 4HKOed and can deal a lot of damage in the process

Giovanni #2(41): hahaha, Surf go brrr

Koga(42): Surf OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs the rest. At most, you may wnt to set up a Barrier in case Weezing goes for Self-destruct

Sabrina(42): Surf 3HKOs Zam and 2HKOs the rest. You are 2HKOed by Kadabra's Psychic and you will often lose to Alakazam

Blaine(45): haha, Surf go brrr

Giovanni #3(47): haha, Surf go brrr

Blue #6(47): Surf OHKOs Rhyhorn and Growlithe and 2HKOs Pidgeot and Alakazam, the latter of which can deal heavy damage with STABs. Ice Beam 2HKOs Venusaur and 3HKOs Gyarados.

Lorelei(51): Mega Drain seems to be a 3-4HKO on Dewgong, while Cloyster is a 3HKO. Slowbro is 4HKOed, but it spams Amnesia, so you need crits. Surf 2HKOs Jynx and 5-6HKOs Lapras (had run out of PP on Mega Drain). The matchup is not good, overall

Bruno(51): haha Surf go brrr

Agatha(51): Surf 3HKOs Gengar and 2HKOs the rest. You outspeed everything

Lance(51): Ice Beam 2HKOs Dragons and Surf OHKOs Aerodactyl. Since it's a Poison-type, you basically win against the Dragons, but you need Ice Beam to take them out fast.

Champion Blue(52): Consistently, it beats Pidgeot, Arcanine, and Rhydon. Zam mostly beats you. Venusaur is 2HKOed by Ice Beam, but it can finish you off with Razor Leaf if you are too weakened. Gyarados seems to be a 5HKO with Ice Beam, so not very efficient

I am doing right now a run with Fearow / Beedrill / Starmie / Dugtrio. I am going to make a new post about it once I am done with the run completely. I last finished with Silph Co., so expect logs of the run very soon (tm).

I disagree with Clefable being A-tier without Psychic, as it has other combinations of tms that make it S-tier. Normal STAB+Bubblebeam/Ice Beam/Blizzard+(Thunderbolt, optional)+(Thunder Wave, optional) allows it to smash past all the possible weaker matchups you mentioned, besides Koga (still 3hkos with Normal STAB) and Agatha. Erika dies to the Ice STABs (but Normal STAB can 2hko everything bar the last), the Giovanni fights are won with any of the second moves, Lorelei dies to Thunderbolt and Lance loses to the Ice moves. Really, the only trainers where Psychic would do better are Koga and Agatha, and it actually does worse against Lance than the Ice moves.
Now, this is a bigger tm investment than just giving it Psychic, but you can take out Thunderbolt, which really only weakens the Lorelei matchup and makes killing Gyarados more annoying. Thunder Wave can let you cheese, say, Lance if you have no Ice move or Gyarados if you have no Thunderbolt, but it is a pretty uncontested tm outside of Abra which likes it for Misty and Sabrina. You are left only needing one of the water/ice moves, which you should realistically have one to spare.

What I am trying to say is, while Clefable clearly needs a moderately to extremely wanted tm to work, as long as it gets a Normal STAB+Bubblebeam/Ice Beam/Blizzard/Psychic it is effectively an S tier, and I think it is very reasonable to assume it will have access to one of those in a run of 4 Pokemon.

Also, the moon stone isn't really contested, since there are 2 of them in Mt Moon, meaning you can have a Clefable and a Nido on the same team, both in their final evolutions by Cerulean City.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
small nitpick, my point for the Moon Stone was just so I don't get claims like "Water Gun is contested" and that didn't play a role in my nomination.

Regardless, I could care less where Clefable really is, so as long as we are consistent about its placement. However, it still seems to guzzle down quite a number of TMs for the highest amount of good matchups and I think this is, at worst, relevant for write-ups. But regardless, I can live with any rank, really, my test was mainly aimed at seeing where you need TMs, which provided me with valuable information that we can also use in its write-up when the times comes for it

The main issue with Drowzee is the starting level. When you obtain it, it can be level 9, 11, 13, or 15. The problem is that more often than not you re catching a level 9 one, because the higher level ones seem to be rarer. Drowzee has a terrible movepool until it learns Confusion at level 17. Therefore, you need to baby it for some time till it learns Confusion. I even gave it Body Slam for that purpose, and it still struggled to get up to that level. If you were to disregard this incovenience, Drowzee is by all criteria an S-tier. However, unless getting a level 15 is actually easier than I think, then perhaps that could potentially make it more of an A-tier. But I could live with any rank, really, I just need the level encounter part clarified to me if you need a definitive nomination.
Lv15 Drowzee is a 3 in 256 chance according to this chart: http://wiki.pokemonspeedruns.com/index.php/Pokémon_Red/Blue/Yellow_Encounter_Slots

I am leaning towards C-tier on Tentacool. I caught mine with a Super Rod at level 15. I had to put in some effort to get it to level 30, which wasn't super easy, as I had very few trainers where I could OHKO stuff with Bubble Beam. There are two matchups where Ice Beam is highly preferred, those are Erika and Lance. While Lance is Lance against Poison-types, you don't have much to muscle through him without Ice Beam. However, other than that, it's your typical Water-type, but I don't think it should be particularly high.
You can catch a Lv40 Tentacool with the Repel Trick after defeating Koga, and it'd probably be the most optimal option. It's also a 3 in 256 chance though.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Lv15 Drowzee is a 3 in 256 chance according to this chart: http://wiki.pokemonspeedruns.com/index.php/Pokémon_Red/Blue/Yellow_Encounter_Slots

You can catch a Lv40 Tentacool with the Repel Trick after defeating Koga, and it'd probably be the most optimal option. It's also a 3 in 256 chance though.
looks like catching a level 13 one seems the most reasonable (around 10% chance). Babying it for 4 levels seems similar to Abra, so perhaps S is possible for Drowzee.

And for Tentacool, I have heard of that level 40 one, but I believe (going off memory so I may be wrong) someone in the thread already tried it till they gave up and caught a level 30/35 one instead. Also misses out a good matchup, but Koga is doable by anything that learns Psychic, so that might be a moot point

Yea, Tenta as well as other Super Rod mons is prolly better caught post-Surf (which means you need a Surf mon before but it always happens) so that it's not super annoying to level up. Particularly so for it, Shellder, and Staryu I think, since they're in the Slow experience group. Missing out on Erika and Koga might be bad, but I should mention that Tenta can technically run SD + Hyper Beam too to get a better matchup against Lorelei (although it's one of the worst users of the combo).

Oh, I was checking the other day and apparently in Yellow you can fish for a higher level one on the route below Fuchsia, meaning you can use it against Erika and Koga there. I doubt it deserves a higher tier, though.

I'm commenting because I've been meaning to try it out since I never did (also in DP), hopefully I get enough willpower to go back to playing.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
little bit late but Hyper Beam probs shouldn't really be considered. I had already talked about it in the past, but tl;dr it's quite inefficient to get, as you need to make a purchase around 110 times (in RB, at least) to get enough coins and that is quite... tiresome and irritating.

But anyways, I am posting because I did a run with Fearow / Beedrill / Starmie / Dugtrio. Some of my thoughts may be controversial, but they are what they are. Regardless, I have tried to be as fair as I can be.

I feel like Spearow is a borderline case between C and B. Spearow's most defining traits are its relatively small dependance on TMs (only wants the Double-Edge TM, since you are stuck with Fury Attack if you go by level only) and its availability, as it comes pretty much at the start. However, Spearow is rather useless against the early-game bosses, other than Leering them for a teammate. Furthermore, its end-game was also rather questionable, with Lorelei, Lance, and rival being very bad matchups. Bruno is not a sweep (granted, you could take him and his Onix out with a special attacker, but whenever that is a valid excuse for Spearow is something that is debatable) and Agatha looks to be the best matchup of the 5. However, once it picks up Drill Peck, its mid-game and late-game mostly become good. It beating Erika with no TMs is also very helpful. All in all, Spearow is not very easy to tier. I guess Spearow in B is not out of question, as it requires few TMs, comes very early and can support teammates with Leer (particularly useful at negating Starmie's X Defenses), and can even be taught Fly, as Fearow almost never uses anything other than Drill Peck and Double-Edge.

TMs used: Double-Edge

Brock(12): not getting past him easily, but can spam Leer for a teammate

Blue #2(7): struggles with Pidgeotto, but Peck spam beats the rest (his starter is Bulbaasaur)

Misty(20): 5 Fury Attacks KO Staryu. Starmie needs a lot of them and 3HKOs with Bubble beam, so you are losing (though you can spam Leer here as well for a teammate)

Blue #3(24): beats Kadabra and Ivysaur easily. Pidgeotto and Raticate require around 5 Fury Attacks to fall

Lt. Surge(25): 4 Fury Attacks KO Voltorb, while 2 KO Pikachu. Raichu needs around 6 or 7, but it just kills you with Thunderbolt

Giovanni #1(29): 3HKOs Kangaskhan with Double-Edge. The Rocks are generally not efficient

Blue #4(29): Double-Edge OHKOs everything bar Gyara, which can KO with Dragon Rage due to recoil. I ended up KOing myself against Ivysaur

Erika(31): Peck 3HKOs Vileplume and 2HKOs the rest. Bar sleep, you do not have to worry about much

Blue #5(40): Drill Peck OHKOs Alakazam and Growlithe, 2HKOs Pidgeot and Venusaur, and 3HKOs Gyarados (though Double-Edge is a 2HKO). Good matchup

Giovanni #2(40): Double-Edge OHKOs Nidorino and 2HKOs Kanga and Nidoqueen. Rhyhorn is, yet again, inefficient

Koga(42): Drill Peck 2HKOs Koffing, while Double-Edge 2HKOs Muk. Weezing dies to two Drill Pecks and one Double-Edge, though it may boom on you. You are taking out at least 3/4, regardless.

Sabrina(42): Drill Peck OHKOs Kadabra and Venomoth, while Double-Edge OHKOs the rest (Zam is rolls), while outspeeding all

Blaine(46): Drill Peck OHKOs Growlithe and 2HKOs Rapidash. Double-Edge OHKOs Ponyta and 2HKOs Arcanine, though Growl hinders you and Fire Blast from Arcanine can generally KO it.

Giovanni #3(47): Double-Edge 2HKOs Nidos and Drill Peck OHKOs Dugtrio. Rhyhorn can be muscled with Double-Edge, if you need to go that far, but I wouldn't bother

Blue #6(47): Double-Edge OHKOS Growlithe and 2HKOs Zam. Drill Peck 2HKOs Venusaur and, combined with Double-Edge, 2HKOs Pidgeot and Gyarados

Lorelei(51): Double-Edge OHKOs Jynx, but the rest hit it super effectively and avoid the 2HKO, bar Slowbro, which just needs crits to be muscled through

Bruno(51): takes out the Fighting-types with no problems, but you are gonna spend some time getting through Onix

Agatha(51): Drill Peck is a 2HKO on rolls on Gengar. Haunter is hit hard as well. Double-Edge 2HKOs Golbat and, combined with Drill Peck, KOs Arbok. However, recoil + status + Night Shade can quickly wear it down

Lance(51): 2HKOs Dragonair with Drill Peck. Takes heavy damage from Hyper Beam and is useless against the rest.

Champion Blue(51): 3HKOs Pidgeot with Drill Peck, but takes heavy damage back. Zam can be taken out if it spams Reflect / Recover with crits. Venusaur is 2HKOed by Drill Peck. Arcanine avoids a 2HKO and can finish you off with Ember. Rhydon and Gyarados are straight loses

Weedle's biggest issue is grinding it to level 10. While not in a terrible exp. group, it's still going to take some time. Another issue with Beedrill is that some opponents require multiple Swords Dance uses in order to OHKO them. This is not good, because not only is Beedrill vulnerable to taking (heavy) damage, but also because of how crits work: crits ignore your own boosts as well, so a +6 attack with a crit is equal to an attack with no boosts that also crits. I do think that Swords Dance is not particularly contested (contrary to what I used to think), because Pokemon like Charizard do not need it to work and stuff like Tentacool don't really use it either. A lot of the SDers also spam Slash or some other high-crit move often, so SD is redunant on them.

As for what tier I'd give it, I am fine with C-tier. Again, I do not think SD is contested enough to sanction Beedrill. Even without it, Beedrill can beat Misty and Erika TM-less. However, SD does allow it to take advantage of Lorelei and Lance's dumb AIs, making those a lot easier than they would be.

TMs used: Double-Edge, Swords Dance
Brock(10): nope

Blue #2(17): needs 14 Fury Attacks to KO Pidgeotto, which deals a lot of damage with Gust. The rest can be taken down quite easily, Bulbasaur requiring 9 Fury Attacks

Misty(20): Twineedle 3HKOs Starmie if it goes for X Defense right away. Regardless, Beedrill can eat few Water Guns, so the matchup should be good, for most parts.

Blue #3(25): Poison Sting 5HKOs Pidgeotto (whcih can also deal damage to you in the process). Twineedle 2HKOs Raticate and OHKOs the rest.

Surge(25): Twineedle 2HKOs Voltorb, OHKOs Pikachu, and 3HKOs Raichu, though Thunderbolt is a 2HKO on Beedrill.

Giovanni #1(29): 4HKOs Onix and 3HKOs the rest with Twineedle. Kangaskhan can only be beaten at full

Blue #4(29): Twineedle OHKOs Kadabra and Ivysaur. 3HKOs Growlithe. It can muscle through Pidgeotto if it spams Whirlwind. Gyara 2HKOs with Dragon Rage and cannot be defeated

Erika(31): Twineedle spam basically wins this with no issues whatsoever.

Blue #5(40): SD twice on Pidgeot, KO it with Double-Edge and heal. Then Double-Edge KOs Gyarados and Growlithe. Alakazam can revenge kill you, though. Venusaur is an easy target.

Giovanni #2(40): SD and spam Pin Missile, by OHKOing Nidorino and 2HKOign the rest.

Koga(42): Twineedle 2HKOs Koffing and 3HKOs the rest. SD can speed up the battle. Watch out for Self-destruct and Smokescreen.

Sabrina(43): Twineedle OHKOs everything, with Venomoth on rolls. Alakazam outspeeds and KOs it with Psybeam, though if it goes for Psywave and you live, you can kill it.

Blaine(46): if you get two SDs, Double-Edge OHKOs everything (Arcanine is rolls). Recoil can kill you if you are too low on HP, though

Giovanni #3(47): +2 Twineedle 2HKOs Rhyhorn, 4HKOs Rhydon, and OHKOs the rest.

Blue #6(47): +2 Double-Edge 2HKOs Pidgeot, which can either go for Agility or Wing Attack and OHKOs Growlithe (have to reset up). Rhyhorn is 2HKOed by +2 Twineedle. Zam seems to be a speedtie, but watch out for Psychic. Venusaur is not an issue

Lorelei(51): Dewgong spams Rest on you, so you can just spam SD to the max and sweep with Twineedle

Bruno(51): if you spam SD to the max, Twineedle 2HKOs Onix #1, 3HKOs Onix #2, and Double-Edge OHKOs the rest. You may need to heal against Machamp to not die to recoil

Agatha(52): +4 Twineedle OHKOs Gengar #1, Arbok, and Haunter, wth the former being the only one to survive a crit as well. Gengar #2 is 2HKOed. I sometimes managed to outspeed them, other times not, *shrug*

Lance(52): if you can lure in a Dragon, you basically win. +6 Twineedle OHKOs Dragonair and 3HKOs Aerodactyl (which I, funnily, outsped) and Double-Edge 2HKOs DNite. Aero and Gyara are the only legitimate threats.

Champion Blue(52): seems to outspeed Zam and can kill it with Twineedle, while Venu is 2HKOed. Rhydon takes a lot of time, Pidgeot kilsl you with Sky Attack, Gyarados kills you with Hyper Beam, and Arcanine spams Ember

Similarly to Spearow, Diglett is very low-cost Pokemon, as it requires virtually no TMs. Rock Slide is not very contested and is not fundamentally needed beyond improving specific matchups. Diglett learns Dig and Earthquake both by level, so it doesn't waste any of the TMs. Diglett is good in a lot of matchups, bad in only 3 (discounting Erika, as I was a bit overleveled and thus it's harder to make a call here). There really isn't much to say about Diglett, other than "click Dig and sweep" and borderline in another 3. Its bulk does pose problems, but that is relevant only when you are hit by priority moves.

As for what tier I'd give it, I am personally leaning towards A myself. I haven't really read its logs or used it, but it doesn't seem all different from Sandshrew in terms of matchups, other than availability, from what I've heard about it. Given that Dugtrio clicks buttons on a lot of matchups and does not consume any TM that is remotely close to being contested. It's definitely not S-tier, though.

TMs used: Rock Slide. I also used Body Slam occassionally, since I had nothing on my team that really wanted it.
Blue #3 (23): 3HKOs Pidgeotto with Body Slam, but otherwise struggles. Dig OHKOs Kadabra, along with Raticate on rolls. Ivysaur is 2HKOed. Raticate OHKOs with crit Hyper Fang, while Ivysaur has to use Leech Seed after you hit it to win.

Lt. Surge: yes

Giovanni (all fights): spam Dig (or Earthquake)

Blue #4(31): Dig OHKOs Ivysaur, Kadabra, and Growlithe. Rock Slide OHKOs Pidgeotto and 2HKOs Gyara, with Hydro Pump almost OHKOing you.

Erika(33): OHKOed by Razor Leaf, but Dig 2HKOs Victreebel and Vileplume, with Petal Dance failing to OHKO. Tangela is 3HKOed by Body Slam, if you taught it that.

Blue #5(40): Dig OHKOs Growlithe and Alakazam and 3HKOs Venusaur, which 3HKOs back with Vine Whip. Pidgeot is 2HKOed by Slash + Rock Slide and Gyara always beats it.

Koga(41): Dig OHKOs Koffing and Muk and 2HKOs Weezing. Weezing often explodes when you use Dig, however

Sabrina(42): Slash OHKOs Kadabra, while Dig OHKOs Mr. Mime and 2HKOs Venomoth, which can cripple you with Stun Spore. Zam is outsped and 2HKOed by Slash and it fails to kill with Psybeam.

Blaine(46): spam Dig and you win

Blue #6(47): Slash 3HKOs Pidgeot, with Rock Slide being a 2HKO. Gyarados is 2HKOed by Rock Slide, but kills with Hydro Pump. Rhyhorn and Growlithe die to Ground STAB, while Zam is 2HKOed and fails to kill without crits. Venusaur always wins.

Lorelei(51): Earthquake OHKOs Jynx, but the rest avoid a 2HKO from Rock Slide and 2HKO you with super effective moves.

Bruno(51): not good. Earthquake doesn't OHKO anything. Machamp and Hitmonlee can OHKO it with Fighting STAB, though the rest are not threatening it.

Agatha(51): EQ OHKOs everything bar Golbat, which is 3HKOed by Slash / Rock Slide

Lance(52): Earthquake 2HKOs Dragonair, but they 2HKO with Hyper Beam. Aerodactyl is 2HKOed by Rock Slide, but it also deals heavy damage with Hyper Beam.

Champion Blue(52): Earthquake 2HKOs Arcanine and Alakazam (which likely beats you unless it goes for Reflect) and Rhydon is 3HKOed. The rest are simply not reasonably doable (Pidgeot hits you hard, Venusaur and Gyarados have type advantage)

It might be just me, but I am not really convinced this is A-tier and feel odd about the idea. This is perhaps because of its availability, as it's not relatively early and requires some sequence breaking (a bit more than Gastly, I'd say). Furthermore, its learnset is... non-existant if you evolve right away, so you obviously have to rely on TMs. Granted, chances are you are saving the Psychic TM for it, but Starmie is still going to be not-so-good if you were to teach the TM to something else. Ice Beam or Blizzard are needed for Lance's Dragonite and Thunderbolt is needed for Lorelei and the Gyarados you are gonna face. All in all, I have some doubts about Staryu in A-tier, but it's not something I am going to fight for as much, as it's more based on me finding the tier odd for it rather than downright unacceptable. Though if Staryu is A, then Gyara, imo, should 100% be A as well, because it comes earlier, is stronger, and doesn't require many TMs (in spite of the grinding period).

I think Staryu can also be caught at Seafoam Islands at some high level or something, but that is quite the sidetrack for Staryu and you also need to skip Koga, whom it just rolls through. But, similarly to Tentacool, Koga is not particularly hard, so that may not be good enough on its own as an argument

TMs used: Psychic (I tried to see in some matchups if Surf was sufficient). I also used Ice Beam and Thunderbolt at the E4.
Erika(30): Psychic 2HKO everything, with Petal Dance and Razor Leaf also 2HKOing, so you are likely taking out only one of them. Tangela is annoying, but doesn't threaten you. Sleep can be annoying, though you are having Poke Flute for sure if you are using Starmie here

Blue #5(39): Surf 3HKOs Zam, 2HKOs Pidgeot, and OHKOs Growlithe. Gyarados is 3HKOed by Psychic (and OHKOed by Thunderbolt), while Venusaur is 2HKOed and puts you in red with Razor Leaf

Giovanni (all fights): spam Surf

Koga(41): Surf OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs the rest (I think Weezing may be rolls, though, as Psychic doesn't OHKO). Psychic only improves the Muk matchup

Sabrina(42): Surf 3HKOs Zam and 2HKOs the rest. Zam spams Recover on you forever, unless you crit often enough. Venomoth can also be OHKOed by Psychic and that is recommended, since it can Stun Spore you.

Blaine(45): Surf

Blue #6(47): Surf 2HKOs Pidgeot, 3HKOs Zam, and OHKOs Rhyhorn and Growlithe. Psychic 3HKOs Gyarados and 2HKOs Venusaur. I don't have much recollection on how they deal damage to it, but given I never noted them anywhere, I assume I never felt threatened by anything other than Venu

Lorelei(50): Psychic 2HKOs Cloyster, 3HKOs Dewgong, and 4HKOs Lapras. Jynx is 2-3HKOed by Surf without issues. Thunderbolt improves the matchup a lot. Note that Lapras may require healing

Bruno(51): spam Surf

Agatha(51): Surf 3HKOs the Ghosts and 2HKOs the rest. Psychic is a 2HKO on the ghosts. Status can be annoying, especially if you do not have Psychic to take the ghosts out faster.

Lance(51): Thunderbolt nails Gyara (I think the OHKO is not guaranteed), Surf OHKOs Aerodactyl, Ice Beam 2HKOs Dragonite, and Psychic 2HKOs Dragonair

Champion Blue(52): Surf 3HKOs Pidgeot and Alakazam and is good for Rhydon and Arcanine. Venusaur is 2HKOed by Psychic. Gyara avoids the OHKO from Thunderbolt and can hit it hard (I think it's an OHKO) with Hyper Beam

I am going to do another run with Electrode / Lapras / Hitmonlee / Aerodactyl next. Feel free to direct questions at me for my Pokemon and I will try to answer them.

Ryota Mitarai Very cool insights on the 'mons you're ran.

I started my own run assuming Spearow would be the worst B-tier 'mon (which is where you ended up), but right now I think it's one of the best. Seems like it will fall off harder than I anticipated during the endgame (reading your logs, I'd assume I'd still firmly place it in B). I did notice you not teaching Swift though, which is a gamechanger for the Lavender to Drill Peck period, and Fly, which does well on Erika and can be used to try and dodge Weezing's Explosion.
I also noticed you were quite a bit lower-level on the early bosses, which probably made a difference (especially Blue #2 and Misty).

I was a bit surprised with Beedrill->C, but after reading the logs it makes sense. Twinneedle hitting Poison super effective gives Beedrill a superb mid-game which makes up for the bad pre-Twinneedle earlygame. It also seems to have picked up a lot of stat EXP. in Speed, speedtie-ing vs. Agatha's Gengar, outspeeding Lance's Aero and outspeeding Rival's Alakazam (which you were slower than earlier).

Diglett in A makes perfect sense to me; STAB Ground is amazing and it's fast enough to outspeed almost everything.

Staryu is VERY interesting since its role is dependant on the TMs it gets.
If it gets Psychic, it makes sense to get it ASAP (by either Super Rod + route 11 grinding or by doing Koga and tripping to Seafoam early) since Psychic gives it an amazing mid-game.
If it doesn't get Psychic, it's probably best to just catch it at Seafoam without sequence break (arguably Seafoam is a detour anyway, but w/e). It levels easily in Blaine's gym (thanks to Surf) and should get Blizzard anyway (IMO Blizzard is not a contested TM since you get Ice Beam much earlier). With these attacks alone, it sweeps Blaine, Giovanni#3, Bruno and Lance (sans maybe Gyara) and contributes vs. Champ Blue and Agatha.
I agree its level-up learnset is trash, but that's true for so many gen 1 'mons (including almost all Water-types) it's not even funny. It also gets better with TM usage, which seems to be something I sanction less than you do.

I guess I could get behind Staryu->B for availability, but in that case we'd seriously have to consider Articuno->B and Zapdos->B for the same reasons.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Spearow was likely a bit lower leveled in the early-game because I ran two early-game mons and thus I had to share Exp. between them. Also:

I did notice you not teaching Swift though, which is a gamechanger for the Lavender to Drill Peck period, and Fly, which does well on Erika and can be used to try and dodge Weezing's
I just taught Double-Edge (realistically, it's not too far off Swift in terms of availability) as soon as possible, so I don't think I really hurt it in any way. And two Pecks are as powerful as Fly, but with better accuracy and more opportunities to crit, so I think those two TMs are not necessarily improving Fearow's performance (unless you taught Double-Edge to something else, though there are so many Normal-type TMs that you can easily spare the Double-Edge TM for Fearow). You can teach it Fly for transportation, though, but I think I already mentioned it.

As for Zapdos -> B, I think someone already mentioned that B is a possible tier, given it's rather reliant on the Thunderbolt TM. I do not have much to say about Articuno, since I've never used it, though I'd assume it's A because it gets Ice Beam and Blizzard naturally. But again, I have never used it, so I cannot comment a lot on it.

Anyways, I did my run with Electrode / Lapras / Hitmonlee / Aerodactyl. Here are my thoughts:

Electrode faces the same issue as Jolteon in that teaching it Thunderbolt through TMs is pretty much mandatory, otherwise it's very useless. You could teach it Thunder, alternatively, but 70% accuracy is not really ideal as your only attacking option. Furthermore, Electrode is very useless against Pokemon that resist it, unless you kept Sonic Boom (I didn't) or something, though I doubt Sonic Boom would be efficient on first place in the later portion of the game anyways. For most parts, it's outclassed by Jolteon anyways, as Electrode often misses some OHKOs and 2HKOs that Jolteon doesn't due to its superior Special stat.

There are two niches that give Electrode some edge, though. The first one is its high Speed, which gives it around 27% chance of critting, which is quite high, compared to most of the dex. Another niche it has is Self-destruct/Explosion. In Gen 1, those moves have the advantage of giving you a free turn (because they cancel the opponent's turn if you are faster) and can also deal respectable damage, though Electrode needs Screech to turn them into OHKOs for tougher opponents. However, I am leaning towards C-tier myself on Voltorb, due to its inability to OHKO more major Pokemon outside of hitting super effectively.

I think it's worth mentioning that, while I used an earlier Voltorb, that a Power Plant one might be more viable, because it comes at level 43, which means you won't have to grind it. However, catching it may be somewhat difficult, because it will have Self-destruct, and it will be lacking EVs (or well, their equivalent here) and there's also the fact it comes later. Furthermore, Power Plant is the only location in Yellow that has Voltorb, last I checked. However, an earlier Voltorb is very underleveled and has to be grinded, but at least it gets EVs. All in all, I feel like Voltorb has some pretty major flaws no matter how you use it and its complete dependence on a contested TM so that it can perform well make me believe C-tier is fine for it.

TMs used: Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave
Giovanni #1 (31): beats Kangaskhan, but struggles with the Rocks, unless you kept Sonic Boom

Blue #4 (31): Thunderbolt 2HKOs Kadabra, 3-4HKOs Ivysaur, and OHKOs the rest. No issues here

Erika(31): Thunderbolt 4HKOs Tangela and takes too much time against the rest. Self-Destruct doesn't OHKO the Poison-types unless you Screech 'em.

Blue #5(39): Thunderbolt OHKOs Pidgeot and Gyarados. Growlithe is almost OHKOed. Alakazam is 3HKOed. Venusaur can be OHKOed by a Self-destruct after a Screech.

Giovanni #2(40): Thunderbolt 2HKOs Kanga and Nidorino. Nidoqueen is OHKOed by Self-Destruct after Screech

Koga(41): Thunderbolt OHKOs Koffing on rolls, 2HKOs Muk on rolls, and 3HKOs Weezing. In general, this matchup is not ideal, because of Smokescreens and whatnot making it harder to sweep.

Sabrina(41): Thunderbolt 3HKOs Zam and 2HKOs the rest. You can explode on Zam to kill it

Blaine(46): OHKOs Growlithe, 3HKOs Arcanine, and 2HKOs the rest with Thunderbolt. Arcanine is perhaps the only thing that can threaten it due to Fire Blast, but other than that, the fight isn't difficult.

Giovanni #3 (47): It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. Yossarian was in the hospital with a pain in his liver that fell just short of being jaundice. The doctors were puzzled by the fact that it wasn't quite jaundice. If it became jaundice they could treat it. If it didn't become jaundice and went away they could discharge him. But this just being short of jaundice all the time confused them.

Wait, were you expecting logs of Electrode legit doing something major against Giovanni? Me too.

Blue #6 (47): beats Pidgeot, Gyarados, and Growlithe. Zam is 4HKOed and generally beats you, but you can boom on it. Venusaur and Rhyhorn are also difficult for it.

Lorelei(51): Thunderbolt 2HKOs Lapras, Dewgong, and Slowbro, 3HKOs Jynx, and OHKOs Cloyster. However, keep in mind that you will be taking damage in the process and possibly hax.

Bruno(51): OHKOs Hitmons with Thunderbolt and 3HKOs Machamp. Useless against Onix.

Agatha(51): Thunderbolt 3HKOs Haunter and Gengar #1, 2HKOs Arbok and Golbat, and 4HKOs the other Gengar. Paralyzing the Gengars can make the matchup a bit easier.

Lance(52): Thunderbolt OHKOs Gyara and Aerodactyl. Dragonairs are OHKOed by an Explosion after Screech, while Dragonite needs two.

Champion Blue(52): beats Gyarados and Pidgeot. Thunderbolt also 3HKOs Arcanine. Screech + Explosion take out Venusaur. Alakazam also dies to Explosion.

There's no doubt that Hitmonlee is the strongest Fighting-type this game has. I think we already established it is not A-tier material. However, there's the question of whenever it's C or B. RBY, as a whole, is not very kind to Fighting-types, as a whole.

To explain why Hitmonlee is the strongest Fighting-type, most of the Fighting-types rely on Submission as their STAB. Not only is this a recoil move, but it comes with a terrible accuracy as well. Hitmonlee not only starts with Double Kick, but it also gets Jump Kick, which has a crash damage of 1 in these games, meaning that if it misses (95% accuracy), you are not actually taking a lot from the crash damage itself. Furthermore, Hitmonlee has access to Meditate, allowing it to achieve OHKOs that other Fighting-types may not be able to.

However, as I said, Fighting-types do not have it easy in these games. Psychic is obvious. Furthermore, Hitmonlee has a terrible Special, meaning it's often getting 2HKOed by any remotely powerful Special attack and thus it has to get an OHKO as soon as possible in order to avoid it. However, Hitmonlee does have the speed and power to make that possible in some cases. Furthermore, Hitmonlee has access to Strength, which works very well as a coverage for Poison-types and also gives it some overworld utility. Perhaps its biggest feat is beating Lorelei TM-less, because a lot of other Pokemon with a good matchup against her generally need a TM (whenever it be Thunderbolt or, in the case of Beedrill, Swords Dance). It also can deal with Lance's Dragon-types because lol Gen 1 AI. However, it sometimes struggles with rival fights, most notably the Silph Co. one and the Champion one, although, oddly, it's very good for the Victory Road one. It is also useless against Agatha's Ghost-types, as it can only hit them with Seismic Toss (which isn't really contested, but I never tried it either).

As for what tier I'd give it, it's pretty hard. On one hand, there's no doubt Hitmonlee is the best Fighting-type and being able to beat opponents like Lorelei with no TMs whatsoever is very impressive. Likewise, it is not very TM dependent and can even be given some overworld utility (granted, you need to sequence break if you wanna use it as soon as possible, but for Erika, you'd rather use Double-Edge anyways). On the other hand, one can definitely raise an eyebrow due to its reliance on Meditate boosts to sweep efficiently. Personally, I do not really mind setting up a move once myself and Hitmonlee often manages to crush opponents even with a type disadvantage, so I am leaning towards B myself, but I can definitely see why some people would consider it C. Do note that we may have to test Machamp if we drop Lee to C. And even if we don't, I will eventually test it myself anyways.

TMs used: Double-Edge. I have used Swift in the past, which can work well for Koga due to Smokescreen shenanigans.
Giovanni #1 (31): Double Kick spam wins

Blue #4 (31): +1 DKick OHKOs Pidgeotto, Kadabra, and Growlithe, while Double-Edge OHKOs Ivysaur, along with Gyara on rolls

Erika(31): loses against Victreebel, as it OHKOs with Razor Leaf and lives a +1 Double-Edge. However, it can Meditate on Tngela and 2HKO it and Vileplume with Double-Edge, with Petal Dance 2HKOing it.

Blue #5 (39): +1 Jump Kick OHKOs Growlithe and 2HKOs Pidgeot. Gyarados kills it with Dragon Rage if too weakened, Zam is faster and OHKOs with Psybeam, and Venusaur deals heavy damage with Razor Leaf

Giovanni #2(39): Jump Kick OHKOs Kanga and Rhyhorn. +1 Strength 2HKOs Nidorino and 3HKOs Nidoqueen

Koga(41): +1 Strength 2HKOs Koffing and 3HKOs Muk. +1 Double-Edge OHKOs Koffing on rolls and 2HKOs Muk, with Weezing being a 3HKO. AI often derps here, especially with usage of X Items, so it's not too bad

Sabrina(41): Strength OHKOs Kadabra. Meditate on Mr. Mime and, if it goes for non-Barrier, OHKO it with Strength. DEdge OHKOs the rest while outspeeding them, but you need to be healthy enough to not die to recoil

Blaine(46): +1 Strength OHKOs the unevolved ones, while +1 Jump Kick OHKOs Rapidash and 2HKOs Arcanine, which fails to OHKO with Fire Blast

Giovanni #3(47): +1 Jump Kick OHKOs Rhyhorn and 2HKOs Rhydon. +1 Strength OHKOs Dugtrio and 2HKOs Nidos. Easy sweep

Blue #6(47): set up 2 Meditates on Pidgeot, which doesn't threaten with the weak Wing Attck, Jump Kick OHKOs it and Rhyhorn, while Strength kills Growlithe and Zam (which it outspeeds). Double-Edge puts Gyara in potion range and 2HKOs Venusaur, which finishes it off.

Lorelei(51): easy sweep. +1 Jump Kick OHKOs Dewgong and Jynx and 2HKOs Lapras and Cloyster. Slowbro derps on you and spams Amnesia.

Bruno(52): +1 Jump Kick OHKOs Onix and Hitmonlee and 2HKOs the rest. Hitmonchan, however, goes for Counter, so set up another one just in case.

Agatha(52): useless against Ghosts, but it 2HKOs the rest with +1 Strength, but has to reset them against Arbok

Lance(52): beats Dragonairs and Dragonite due to AI. Aerodactyl is 2HKOed by +1 / +2 Jump Kick and is only beatable if it goes for Hyper Beam, as you can live it from full

Champion Blue(52): beats Rhydon and Arcanine, the rest are not really viable targets (they hit it hard and can easily avoid OHKOs or 2HKOs from unboosted attacks)

Lapras is definitely not the easiest thing to tier. You have to consider its availability, first of all. Lapras comes at level 15, which is not really good, because you have to grind it. Furthermore, if you wanna use it as soon as possible, you need to sequence break, which means that you have to first beat Giovanni #1, then you have to beat Blue at Silph Co. as soon as possible. Obviously, doing so means that you will have to either fight him underleveled or you have to use route trainers to match levels, which means that your team will be able to handle Erika anyways, making the Erika matchup null. Furthermore, Lapras skips on Giovanni #2, as it will likely be underleveled for the fight (though that's not the end of the world, as the fight is easy anyways).

However, Lapras does have two very good traits about it. The first one is natural access to Ice Beam (level 38). This means that it does not waste the TM and that it will always have Ice Beam. Ice Beam has proven to be very useful on several occassions, most notably against rival fights and Lance. Furthermore, Lapras has access to Sing and we already know that sleep is broken in gen 1. Though Sing is indeed inaccurate, having a tool to shut down a tough opponent is never not useful.

All in all, while Lapras has a very odd availability, its ability to quickly crush Lance and the rival fights with a natural movepool, along with its other contributions, such as against Koga, Blaine, and Giovanni #3, make me lean towards B-tier myself, though I understand why one might see it as C-tier.

TMs used: Psychic (mostly outclassed by other moves)

note that Lapras can make it through Erika with Psychic or Ice Beam, but having a Lapras for Erika is by itself inefficient, so it should not be taken into account. Also note that it can make it through Giovanni #2, but chances are you are gonna take on him immediately instead of grinding a Lapras specifically for that purpose.

Koga(41): Surf OHKOs Koffing, 2HKOs Muk, and 2HKOs Weezing on rolls. No issues here.

Sabrina(41): Surf 3HKOs Alakazam and 2HKOs the rest. Sing can be used to shut down Alakazam. Note that I had forgotten Body Slam for Psychic, so I cannot say whenever the matchup could be improved

Blaine(46): hahaha Surf go brrr

Giovanni #3(46): hahaha, Surf go brr

Blue #6(41): can actually sweep. Surf OHKOs Rhyhorn and Growlithe and 3HKOs Alakazam, which can be shut down with Sing. Ice Beam OHKOs Pidgeot, 2HKOs Venusaur, and 3HKOs Gyarados

Lorelei(51): Psychic is like a 3HKO on Dewgong and Cloyster. Surf 3HKOs Jynx. Psychic cannot get past Lapras. Slowbro is also walling it. Unfortunately, I never tried Thunderbolt, which is an error on my part, though, bar killing Gyarados, it wouldn't serve for much otherwise.

Bruno(51): 2HKOs Machamp with Surf and OHKOs the rest. However, Machamp's Submission will kill it if Lapras took a Fighting move from Hitmonlee

Agatha(51): Surf 3HKOs Gengar #1 and Haunter, 2HKOs Golbat, and 4HKOs Gengar #2. Ice Beam OHKOs Golbat. In general, the matchup is not really great, but you can use Sing here to improve it. Psychic doesn't improve it a lot.

Lance(51): bar Gyarados, Ice Beam OHKOs everything. Gyara is 3HKOed and you probs want to avoid it.

Champion Blue(52): Ice Beam OHKOs Pidgeot on rolls, 2HKOs Venusaur, and 3HKOs Gyarados. Surf deals with Rhydon and Arcanine, while 3HKOing Zam. You want to put Zam and Venusur to sleep, as they can threaten it a lot. Also Gyarados too.

Aerodactyl is not a great Pokemon, even though it looks like one. First of all, it learns no Rock STAB moves, so Rock typing here is mostly relevant for defensive matchups (which are generally worsened due to that). Furthermore, it has no access to a good Flying STAB (Fly and Wing Attack are not good, in my opinion) and has to rely on Sky Attack in the end-game to achieve KOs. Furthermore, it has a rather bad Special stat, making it vulnerable to any good Special attack. Also comes fairly late and requires sequence breaking if you wanna use it for Erika and Silph Co., though, as I mentioned in my Lapras part, getting Aero for Erika is largely inefficient and should not be considered.

However, I wouldn't say Aerodactyl is that bad to be put in E (it currently resides in D). Aerodactyl can still contribute meaningfully to some fights and can be made to work, although there is some effort behind this and the reward is generally not huge. I was surprised the most by its ability to OHKO with Sky Attack at the E4, most notably against Agatha's Ghosts and Lance's Dragonair. Aerodactyl also has a high Speed stat, which allows it to have around 25% chance of landing a crit. Again, Aerodactyl is far from amazing, but I think it's "workable" with and thus is fine in D. Also worth mentioning it can be taught Fly for transportation over something like Supersonic, though its battle value is overshadowed by Wing Attack. I also know it learns Hyper Beam by level, but I never managed to get it to the level to learn it, but I doubt this is going to change anything.

TMs used: Double-Edge, Sky Attack

Aerodactyl is good for Erika, but chances are your team will be good enough to crush her without Aero's help if you actually brought one against her.

Blue #5(39): Double-Edge + two Bites 3HKO Pidgeot. Gyarados always wins. Venusaur is 3HKOed by Wing Attack and can threaten you with Razor Leaf. Growlithe is OHKOed by Double-Edge, while Zam is put in red, thus you can beat it with Bite + Double-Edge.

Giovanni #2(39): struggles with Rhyhorn, but beats the rest with no problems

Sabrina(41): Double-Edge OHKOs Kadabra and 2HKOs Mr. Mime. Wing Attack 2HKOs Venomoth. Alakazam is 2HKOed by DEdge. As a whole, you likely beat 3/4 of the team, as Venomoth can Stun Spore you and recoil + low Special is asking for a lot

Blaine(46): Double-Edge OHKOs Ponyta and Growlithe on rolls and 2HKOs Rapidash. Also 3HKOs Arcanine. However, Growls are a great hinderance here and you are likely losing to Arcanine if you are not healing.

Giovanni #3(47): struggles with Rhyhorn line, but Double-Edge 3HKOs Nidos and Wing Attack covers Dugtrio.

Blue #6(47): Double-Edge 3HKOs Pidgeot, 2HKOs Zam, and deals with Growlithe. Rhyhorn is difficult to get past by, Gyarados OHKOs with Hydro Pump, and Venusaur 2HKOs with Razor Leaf while Wing Attack is only a 3HKO.

Lorelei(51): terrible. The only thing it can do is beat Jynx, as Double-Edge triggers Super Potion. Sky Attack can also deal heavy damage to something, but it won't be OHKOing.

Bruno(51): Sky Attack OHKOs all the Fighting-types. You want to use that against Hitmonchan due to Counter. Wing Attack easily kills Hitmonlee. Useless against Onix

Agatha(51): Sky Attack OHKOs the Ghosts and 2HKOs the rest. However, there are tons of hax here, so pulling off a Sky Attack successfully is going to be a trouble.

Lance(51): Sky Attack OHKOs Dragonair and can kill Dragonite if it crits (Aero has around 25% chance of criting). Gyarados kills you, while his own Aero is more of a stalemate.

Champion Blue(51): Sky Attack 2HKOs Pidgeot and Arcanine and OHKOs Venusaur and Zam, though those hit hard with special attacks, so you have to heal offscreen

also, yes, I was slightly underleveled for the mid-game, couldn't do much about it. Had to grind at the Pokemon Mansion to be less underleveled against Blaine.

I am doing a run with Vileplume / Persian / Poliwrath / Omastar currently. As always, I will make a new post about it.

Last edited:
Man it has been about a month since I’ve given an update on my run; apologies for that.
Cloyster (46): Easy sweep. Arcanine lives Surf in red, but Fire Blast is a 3HKO. I lost this second time due to Fire Spin + Fire Blast crit from Arcanine, but you should still maim most of Blaine with decent luck. So basically, Fire Blast crits can be annoying, but you should come close to winning otherwise. Fire Blast does roughly half your HP from full.

Charizard (46): Slash 2HKOs everything save Arcanine (3HKO). Dig OHKOs everything save Arcanine (2HKO) unless Blaine gets Super Potion happy. Zard easily lives a crit Arcanine Take Down too from around half, so you’re pretty safe here. Swords Dance doesn’t seem all that necessary. You seem to outspeed everything unless Arcanine goes for Roar; idk why this is. +2 Zard Dig OHKOs Arcanine, for reference.

Chansey (46): Psychic easily 2HKOs Growlithe and Ponyta who seem to want to lower your Defense. Thunderbolt (hoping for paralysis chance) 3HKOs Rapidash. With my weakened Defense, Arcanine’s Take Down took me to red, but I notably outspeed it and two Psychics + recoil killed it. You 3HKO Arcanine with no recoil by the way.

Second time around, it seems Ponyta’s Stomp with no Defense debuffs does about 60 of your roughly 300 HP. On the other hand, lol Super Potion on a full HP mon. Rapidash’s Stomp, if it crits, seems to 2HKO you, doing about 70 HP otherwise. I only beat Rapidash because it Tail Whiped…at 5 HP lol. Arcanine outsped me this time and I died.

Trying with Reflect now, as it doubles Defense. Growlithe Leer into Take Down does like 60 roughly. Ponyta gets a Tail Whip off, making me effectively +0. Rapidash goes for Stomp and Tail Whip, but I crit to kill. Now I’m at 160 / 297 HP and at -1 Defense. Arcanine Take Down finishes me off.

If you have BubbleBeam, you OHKO fodder, definitively 2HKO Rapidash. Still lose to Arcanine (3HKO) but it's a lot more solid.

In summary, pretty good, but a sweep is unlikely.

Beedrill (46): No. Just no. Super Potions heal off even the damage you do with Twineedle. You also lose to Ponyta (lol) because Fire Spin + Super Potion = a totally not buggy game, nope, perfectly balanced.

Hypno (46): Outspeeds and OHKOs fodder. Even outspeeds and 2HKOs Rapidash. Outspeeds and roughly 2HKOs Arcanine with Psychic, but even in a scenario where he crits Take Down you still live and kill, lol. It’s worth noting a 2HKO seems to be a range, as critting Psychic from full didn’t OHKO Arcanine.

You are more than fine here though, even a crit Fire Blast from Arcanine only does 90 of your 160 HP, so with a small bit of luck on Arcanine, you should be good. Easy sweep. Also, 30% Psychic special drop is pretty likely to close the gap; it happened in at least two of my attempts.
Giovanni 3:
Cloyster (47): Cloyster used Surf! You outspeed everyone save Dugtrio (which has Sand Attack but also GUARD SPEC). and OHKO everything. “A truly intense fight,” uh huh.

Charizard (47): Swords Dance Dig OHKOs Rhyhorn. +2 Dig OHKOs Dugtrio, as does functionally unboosted Slash. Nidoqueen and Nidoking are OHKOed by +2 Dig, while Rhydon is 2HKOed by +2 Dig + Flamethrower. Giovanni 3 seems to be the first matchup where Swords Dance definitely helps substantially. You 2HKO everything with Flamethrower save Rhydon who is 4HKOed but who cares because it has no moves.

Chansey (47): Psychic barely misses the OHKO on Rhyhorn. Dugtrio 3HKOs you with Slash and Dig and can be annoying with Sand-Attack while you 2HKO with Psychic. Unfortunately you also barely miss the OHKO on the Nidos with Psychic as well. Barely miss the 2HKO on Rhydon with Psychic. Disappointing.

Beedrill (47): No on Rhyhorn and Rhydon. 2HKO Dugtrio and the Nidos with Twineedle, thankfully. That’s pretty much it.

Hypno (47): Hypno used Psychc! All save Rhydon are OHKOed (Rhydon is 2HKOed and does nothing). Only worry is Dugtrio’s Sand-Attack but they don’t threaten you like ever anyway.
Cloyster (47): Ice Beam OHKOs Pidgeot and Exeggcute and Surf OHKOs Rhyhorn and Growlithe. Alakazam is 2HKOed by Double Edge but Psychic will 2HKO you. Blastoise can be cheesed by Clamp but it might finish you off after Zam weakens you. If you are at full HP, Blatoise is doable as it is roughly 4HKOed by Double Edge (though I got one crit, making it.a rough 3HKO and then I finished it off with Surf). Seems Blastoise does about 3/4s of your HP one-on-one.

Charizard (49): Pidgeot is 2HKOed by Flamethrower and Rhyhorn is 2HKOed by Dig or Flamethrower. Slash + Take Down recoil kills Growlithe but you just OHKO it with Dig. Exeggcute dies to Flamethrower. Zam is knocked to red by Slash. Blastoise you 4HKO with Slash while it seems content to spam Withdraw. I outsped Zam, and even if it uses Recover you still 2HKO it fine. If Blastoise goes for Hydro Pump it will finish off Zard from 3/4s HP at the very least.

Chansey (47): Wing Attack does like 70 HP to you while you barely miss the Thunderbolt OHKO on Pidgeot. Psychic almost OHKOs Rhyhorn and doesn’t come close on Grpwlithe. Exeggcute you can cheese with Sing and likely take it out with 4 resisted hits (I got a crit and a Special drop, so assuming). Zam is also cheesed by Sing while you 4HKO with Thunderbolt (even if Blue uses an lol Potion). Blastoise 2HKOs with Skull Bash but you 2HKO with Thunderbolt. Fairly smooth sweep.

Beedrill (47): No on Pidgeot, Growlithe and Rhyhorn. Exeggcute is OHKOed by Twineedle. You’ll want to setup Agility on Exeggcute though to outspeed Zam and OHKO with Twineedle (even Psybeam OHKOs you). Blastoise looks like a 5HKO with Twineedle but if it goes for Hydro Pump Beedrill dies like a baby. Also of note, Exeggcute has Stun Spore but Agility negates that.

Hypno (47): Surprisingly annoying, Pidgeot does 20 with Quick Attack while you 2HKO with Psychic. Rhyhorn and Growlithe are OHKOed by Psychic. Exeggcute is annoying with Leech Seed so you’ll want to sleep it first.(Psychic is a 3HKO). Sleeping Zam also works wonders, letting you 3HKO with Tri Attack (Psychic from your end looks like a 5HKO). Psychic comes close to 2HKOing Blastoise but just barely misses the damage needed.

Quick opinions:
Hypno has a case for S in my opinion, though pre-Confusion does suck, it has pulled its weight extremely consistently throughout the game, sweeping pretty much everyone. Hypnosis is also a fantastic move I am realizing, sleep is bonkers even with dumb accuracy. A could be possible but it's just done amazing everywhere.

Charmander really pulls up the punch as Charizard, sweeping a lot of things after it fully evolves. A is possible but you have to give it a LOT of leeway with the Charmeleon phase, and I don't expect it to be particularly good at the League. A B+ rank would be perfect for it if we had one.

Beedrill is fantastic for the midgame but drops like a rock after that, especially if you don't use Swords Dance (I gave that to Zard). The pre-Twineedle phase is also awful. I can just barely see C for it, given how it does trivialize some of the harder bosses (Misty and Sabrina) if you know what you're doing.

Chansey is...uh. It has a tendency to miss OHKOs you really want to make, which is a pain given how much time it takes to get one. It's been okay but I doubt it's higher than D at best, given how you are practically forced to give it TMs like Gengar and Starmie.

Cloyster has been okay, does what you expect it to. The early grind (unless you get it at Seafoam) holds it back from being higher than C, and I don't see it doing super amazing in the final battles either, barring Clamp strats.

And I think Gyarados might rise to A soon, based on Ryota's experiences with it. Might do some ranking updates later, or at the end of my two current runs (also need to resume Yellow lol).

Hi, haven't posted in this thread in a bit. Lots of tests, that's very exciting!

Re: water-types, I've posted about this before but I'd put the good ones (including Staryu and Tentacool) in B and the worse ones in C probably. I made a case earlier in the thread that Tentacool with SD and Hyper Beam is similar in terms of TM investment and as good at beating the Elite Four as Staryu with boltbeam.

For what it's worth I think catching Seafoam waters is less of a sequence break than getting Lapras because Koga is easier than Silph rival. I'm pretty anti-Lapras

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Re: water-types, I've posted about this before but I'd put the good ones (including Staryu and Tentacool) in B and the worse ones in C probably.
That's fair. My issue with Tentacool was the grinding, but, given you can repel trick a level 35 (the 40 one is awfully rare even with repels), I guess B is possible, given it is quite good with Ice Beam or Blizzard (I almost never use Blizzard myself so I am just going off Ice Beam performance). Lapras, on the other hand, has to be grinded, but it is pretty much self-sufficient in terms of TMs and can easily speed through Lance (with natural Ice Beam!), for most parts, which is what prompted me to lean towards B-tier (along with its other "typically of your Waters" contributions, such as Blaine and Giovanni).

By the way, I will make a new post about my Vileplume / Persian / Poliwrath / Omastar run. I am at Champion Blue and will try to make a post later today after I am back from school and analyze some of my Pokemon's matchups. e: will do it tomorrow, had a long day in school and couldn't find energy to do it :((

Last edited:
While I haven’t used it, I can’t say I’m a big fan of Lapras. Natural Ice Beam yes, but you kinda have to sequence break to get it early and I like doing the trainer mass before Silph Blue + Koga and Sabrina.

I would probably place it in C ultimately. Just seems like a Cloyster you really have to go out of your way for, and Cloyster isn’t so great in and of itself. I’d rather grab a Water and slap on Ice Beam than have to awkwardly sequence break and get Lapras. Also Water types do average business at the League.

For what it's worth, it's 10% to catch a Tentacool at level 30+ (5% level 30, 4% level 35, 1% level 40), which is in line with the other Water-types you can get post-Surf (fossils at level 30, Seafoam mons at more or less level 30). I don't think it's necessary to splurge for the 35+ Tentacool at 5% rarity, but if you can do it consistently, more power to ya.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
ok so I actually thought I had posted about my run here, but turns out I didn't. My mistake for that.

I did a run with Vileplume / Persian / Poliwrath / Omastar.

Oddish has one huge plus to it and that is being good against Misty. However, outside of that, Oddish has several issues that can overshadow its useful contributions. First of all, its only STAB is Absorb for some time and, outside of Hikers, it's generally very slow into killing opponents. Vileplume is also very reliant on more than two SDs to consistently sweep. It does get Sleep Powder, which is the second best sleep-inducing move in this game. But, still, I have a hard time giving it a tier higher than C, so I am going to stick with C.

Note that I did not keep it unevolved for Petal Dance, as locking yourself into a Grass move doesn't look ideal. Regardless, Mega Drain is good for where you'd need Grass STAB. It's worth mentioning that Sleep Powder + SD is a potent combo if you are not too unlucky.

TMs used: Swords Dance, Mega Drain. Sometimes Double-Edge too, but tried not to use it too much

Misty(21): Absorb 3HKOs Staryu and 5HKOs Starmie. You can put the latter to sleep, so it doesn't cause any problems, but even then, it won't do much if awake

Blue #3 (25): only manages to take out Raticate fast, by 3HKOing with Absorb. The rest resist the move and thus will take a lot of time. You can put them to sleep for a teammate, though.

Lt. Surge(25): Absorb is a 9HKO on Raichu. However, you can put it to sleep and make it trivial. It can also get past the other members with Absorb spam too.

Giovanni #1 (30): Absorb kills Rocks and Acid is like a 6HKO or so on Kanga, with Double-Edge being a 4HKO. Put Kanga to sleep to win.

Blue #4 (30): 2HKOs Pidgeotto with Double-Edge and it generally doesn't do a lot to you. Gyarados is 4HKOed by Acid, but you need to put it to sleep. Kadabra, Growlithe, and Ivysaur are 2HKOed, 2HKOed, and 3HKOed, respectively, but, bar Ivysaur, you want to put them to sleep

Erika(30): her AI derps incredibly on Gloom, spamming Poisonpowder. Acid is a 5HKO on Victreebel, 3HKO on Tangela, and 6HKO on Vileplume. You can make the matchup faster if you grab the SD TM from Silph Co.

Blue#5(41): +2 Acid 2HKOs Pidgeot, OHKOs Growlithe and Alakazam, and 3HKOs Gyara and Venusaur. Note that Zam will generally win as it 2HKOs with Psybeam and it's faster. Pidgeot and Gyarados must be put to sleep to beat them safely. Venusaur derps on you, so it's not a threat.

Giovanni #2 (41): +2 Acid 3HKOs Nidorino and 2HKOs Kangaskhan. Mega Drain kills Rhyhorn and muscles through Nidoqueen.

Koga(43): +2 Double-Edge OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs the rest, with +4 OHKOing Muk as well. It is recommended to put Koffing #1 to sleep so you can set up safely and to also put Weezing to sleep to finish it off with less trouble.

Sabrina(43): best way to use it here is put Kadabra to sleep, spam Mega Drain to heal yourself, then put Mr. Mime to sleep and set up two SDs (you speedtie it, it seems) and OHKO it and Venomoth with Acid. Put Zam to sleep. If it goes for Reflect, you can 2HKO safely

Blaine(47): set up SD to the max while putting Growlithe to sleep and Acid 2HKOs Arcanine and OHKOs the rest.

Giovanni #3 (48): Mega Drain 4HKOs Nidos and OHKOs the rest.

Blue #6 (48): put Pidgeot to sleep and spam SD to the max. Acid OHKOs it and Growlithe and 2HKOs Venusaur, Zam with Reflect, and Gyarados, though you need to put Zam to sleep just in case. Rhyhorn dies to Mega Drain

Lorelei(52): most reliable way here is to spam SD while putting Dewgong to sleep and spamming Mega Drain on it if you have to heal. Mega Drain 3HKOs it and 2HKOs Cloyster, while also being somewhere a 2-3HKO on Slowbro. Jynx gets OHKOed by +6 Acid and Lapras gets KOed after a Mega Drain. Lapras is slower, though you need to be healthy enough to eat a Blizzard.

Bruno(52): Mega Drain 4HKOs Machamp, 2HKOs Hitmons, and OHKOs Onix

Agatha(52): inefficient against Ghosts even with +6. Golbat, funnily, can Haze away your SD boosts, so don't bother there either.

Lance(52): same strat as always. Put Gyara to sleep and spam SD. Spam Mega Drain on Gyara to heal any Hyper Beams you may have taken and put Aero to sleep too. +6 Acid should deal with the dragons with no issues

Champion Blue(54): put Pidgeot to sleep and spam SD to the max. +6 Acid OHKOs Zam and 2HKOs everything else bar Rhydon. Note that Zam 2HKOs with Psychic. Against Rhydon, use Mega Drain to heal yourself. Arcanine will likely KO you with Ember, so Full Restore on it. Put Gyarados to sleep as well. Venusaur should not be an issue

I am personally gonna nominate Meowth to rise from D to C. While it's not the most amazing thing, I found its performance to be above most of the things in D-tier. If taught a Normal STAB move, it can generally net 2HKOs on most things. Pay Day utility is also really nice. TM coverage in Bubble Beam makes it useful against the Hikers and some major bosses too and Thunderbolt, while not needed, can help. All in all, I think Meowth is useful enough to be C-tier. Unfortunately, it does suck a bit in the E4 even with Slash, but that's why I am nomming it to C and not B.

TMs used: Bubble Beam, Double-Edge. Also used Body Slam sometimes, since I had nothing on my team that wanted it.

Blue #3 (25): Bite 2HKOs Pidgeotto and Raticate, 3HKOs Ivysaur, and OHKOs Kadabra. In general, Ivysaur will finish it off, as it will be too weakened, though not always the case

Lt. Surge(26): Bite 2HKOs Voltorb and OHKOs Pikachu. It also 2HKOs Raichu after a Screech, though Thunderbolt is a 2HKO. Note that Body Slam after Screech is an OHKO. Also note that he can give you a free turn by using an X Speed.

Giovanni (all fights): spam Bubble Beam or Normal STAB, depending on the target.

Blue #4 (31): Double-Edge OHKOs Pidgeotto, Kadabra, and Growlithe and 2HKOs the rest. Even with the recoil, you can sweep (I was left at like 9 HP, though)

Erika(31): Double-Edge 2HKOs everything, while Body Slam fails to 2HKO Vileplume. Due to Mega Drain shenanigans from Plume turning Edge into a 3HKO, you want to use a Screech once if you are using DEdge to OHKO. After a Screech, Body Slam fails to OHKO, but the recovery wouldn't change anything.

Blue #5(41): Double-Edge 2HKOs Pidgeot and Gyarados (Body Slam doesn't 2HKO Gyarados), Body Slam OHKOs Zam, Bubblebeam takes care of Growlithe, and DEdge 3HKOs Venusaur, which will likely finish you off, as you will be too weakened

Koga(42): Double-Edge 2HKOs Koffing and Muk, with Body Slam also 2HKOing Koffing. Weezing is 3HKOed by Double-Edge. As a whole, you are likely taking out 3/4 of his team and possibly Weezing, depending on whenever he wastes time throwing X Items instead of attacking you. It is also likely Weezing will just explode

Sabrina(43): DEdge OHKOs Kadabra and Mr. Mime, with Body Slam OHKOing the former. Venomoth is 2HKOed and Poisonpowders. Zam is almost OHKOed by DEdge. If it goes for Reflect, you win. You outspeed everything

Blaine(47): DEdge OHKOs the unevolved bros, 2HKOs Rapidash, and 3HKOs Arcanine, which generally finishes you off.

Blue #6 (48): Double-Edge is a 2HKO on rolls on Pidgeot, OHKO on roll on Zam, OHKO on rolls on Gyara after a Screech, an OHKO on Growlithe, and a 2HKO on Venusaur after a Screech. Rhyhorn dies to Bubblebeam. In general, you may need to heal once to sweep, due to recoil, and you will likely lose to Venusaur

Lorelei(52): Slash 2HKOs Dewgong, OHKOs Jynx, and 3HKOs the rest. Slowbro generally spams Withdraw, which realistically does nothing. Lapras 2HKOs with Blizzard and thus may beat you. Regardless, great matchup tbh.

Bruno(52): Bubblebeam OHKOs Onix and 3HKOs Hitmonchan (avoiding Counter). Slash almost OHKOs Lee, which can kill you with Fighting STAB. Machamp is 3HKOed by Slash, but OHKOs with Submission.

Agatha(52): lol against Ghosts. Takes out Arbok and Golbat easily.

Lance(52): takes out the two Dragonair by 2HKOing with Slash, though it will eat two Hyper Beams and faint against Aerodactyl.

Champion Blue(52): not good here. Slash fails to 2HKO anything bar Zam. Bubblebeam 2HKO Rhydon. While Slash 3HKOs stuff, Persian will get 2HKOed by Zam, Gyarados, and Venusaur (Solar Beam in Venu's case). Arcanine is perhaps the only thing you are beating bar Rhydon

I kept my Poliwhirl unevolved till level 41 for Amnesia, because I wanted to see how much it'd improve its matchups.

The main issue with Poliwrath is that you often have to set up more than one Amnesia to sweep. However, it does have access to Hypnosis, allowing you to perform a strategy similar to the Vileplume one (put lead to sleep and then spam set up move to sweep). However, the fact that Poliwrath needs to do that to sweep, coupled with the need to sequence break, similarly makes it hard for me to say something higher than C. At least Poliwrath is a Fighting-type with an actual Special, though

TMs used: Ice Beam. I tried Submission on Poliwhirl, but often missed, so stopped bothering with it.

Erika(30): Ice Beam 2HKOs Tangela and 3HKOs the rest. You are faster than all of them, so the only way to win this fight is to use Hypnosis and hope you are lucky enough.

Blue #5 (41): after an Amnesia, Surf OHKOs Pidgeot and Growlithe, 2HKOs Alakazam, and 3HKOs Gyarados, with Ice Beam putting Venusaur in potion range. Make sure you put Gyara and Zam to sleep with Hypnosis, though

Giovanni #2(43): use Amnesia and watch everything die to Surf.

Koga(43): +2 Surf OHKOs Koffing and 2HKOs the rest. While not needed, you can potentially set up another Amnesia to OHKO everything. If you are worried about Smokescreen, use Hypnosis

Sabrina(43): +4 Surf 2HKOs Zam and OHKOs the rest. If you outspeed Kadabra (I speedtied), you can put it to sleep with Hypnosis to set up more safely.

Blaine(47): 2HKOs Arcanine and OHKOs the rest with Surf

Giovanni #3(48): spam Surf

Blue #6 (48): +2 Surf OHKOs Pidgeot, Rhyhorn, and Growlithe, 2HKOs Zam, and seems to be a 3HKO on Gyara. Note that Zam has to be put to sleep to be defeated safely. Venusaur is 2HKOed by Ice Beam and you have to put it to sleep.

Lorelei(51): if you spam Amnesia on Dewgong, Surf will 2HKO everything bar Jynx, which is OHKOed. Watch out for your crits, though, as they are bad here

Bruno(52): Surf OHKOs Onix, 2HKOs Hitmons and 3HKOs Machamp. Set up an Amnesia to speed up the fight.

Agatha(52): +6 Surf OHKOs everything. Use Hypnosis on Gengars to set up and attack safely. +4 doesn't OHKO Gengar.

Lance(52): put Gyara to sleep and spam Amnesia. You can even 2HKO Dragonair with Surf, because it won't threaten you. But yeah, click buttons here and you will be winning, most of the time.

Champion Blue(52): if you put Pidgeot to sleep and set up Amnesia to the max, you can 2HKO Gyara with Ice Beam and OHKO the rest with an appropriate move. It is recommended to put Gyara to sleep as well due to Dragon Rage. I managed to sweep without healing, so it's doable

Honestly, beyond the availability, Omanyte is probably one of the stronger Water-types. 115 Special allows it to OHKO and 2HKO stuff a lot more than the others and only needs an Ice TM to perform a bit better against some fights (considering you can obtain Blizzard from the Pokemon Mansion for it nextdoor). Omanyte is an easy C- or B-tier, depending on how much you weigh the availability against it. I will leave DrumstickGaming to decide, based on logs, as I am not too sure about how availability would affect it. I think it's worth mentioning that Omanyte essentially has the same availability as Pokemon like Sefoam Tentacool (which seems to be better version), except the detour for it is slightly smller and more effortless. I do lean towards B myself, personally.

TMs used: Ice Beam

Giovanni fights, Koga, and Blaine are all "spam Surf", so not gonna bother putting them there

Blue #5 (41): Surf 2HKOs Alakazam and Pidgeot and OHKOs Growlite. Gyarados seems to be a 3-4HKO with Ice Beam. Venusaur will always finish you off, as you will have taken too much damage.

Sabrina(43): Surf 3HKOs Zam and 2HKOs the rest, with Kadabra and Zam being faster. Kadabra spams Psychic constantly on it and Zam can actually finish it off.

Blue #6 (48): Ice Beam OHKOs Pidgeot and seems to be around a 3HKO on Gyara, while Surf OHKOs Rhyhorn and Growlithe. In addition, Surf 3HKOs Zam and Hydro Pump 2HKOs, though it can finish you off if you are too weakened from Gyarados. Venusaur is faster and beats you.

Lorelei(52): Omastar lacks anything to hit Lorelei hard with, so the mtachup, as a whole, is not very efficient. Only can deal with Jynx and perhaps Cloyster.

Bruno(52): Surf 2HKOs Machamp and OHKOs the rest, but Fighting STAB 2HKOs Omastar

Agatha(52): Hydro Pump 2HKOs Gengar #1 and 3HKOs Gengar #2 and Surf 2HKOs the rest. Status is annoying with the needed amount of attacks to take them down, so the matchup is far from ideal.

Lance(52): Ice Beam 2HKOs Dragonair and seems to be an OHKO on Dragonite. Aero is OHKOed by Surf

Champion Blue(53): beats Rhydon and Arcanine with no problems. Ice Beam 2HKOs Pidgeot with no issues. Venusaur and Gyara generally beat you, while Zam weakens you a lot at worst.

I also did a run with Victreebel / Snorlax / Cloyster / Articuno in the meantime. All of those were tricky for me when it came to tiering them, so expect some disagreements.

Victreebel is *so much* better than Vileplume, I cannot even describe it.

Let's first start with the early periods. While Oddish relies on Absorb to clean fields in the beginning, Bellsprout has Vine Whip, whose damage output is relevantly higher than Absorb's. Furthermore, while not the most efficient, Wrap allows it to cheese out some tougher opponents while cleaning and also saw some occassional use in major fights, mainly to put the opponent into an OHKO range safely.

Next, we have superior offensive stats. While the final evolutions have the same Special, Victreebel has a higher Attack, meaning that it is dealing actual damage with Acid without needing Swords Dance. In fact, I felt that my Victreebel without SD performed much better and more efficiently than Vileplume. I also never needed any TMs whatsoever on Victreebel (Double-Edge + SD can help, but it's certainly useful without them), with final moveset being Razor Leaf / Acid / Wrap / Sleep Powder.

Finally, the biggest contributor to Bellsprout's superiority is Razor Leaf. Compared to Mega Drain, Razor Leaf is just a godsend. It will often deal notable damage even to resists. It allows Victreebel to beat fights much faster than Vileplume and also not care about stat changes.

All in all, I think Bellsprout is outright superior to Oddish in terms of performance. I am nominating Bellsprout to rise to B. The nomination is not based on the fact it's superior to Oddish, just to make it clear. I just think that Bellsprout doesn't have as many issues as things I'd put it in C-tier and also doesn't need TMs to be useful. Being good for Lt. Surge and Misty, but lacking the issues of Oddish is certainly a good reason for me to put it a bit higher. It certainly has its issues, such as being bad for most rival fights, but its usefulness is not to be underestimated

Oh and have I mentioned that it has Growth to make Vine Whip stronger? Yeah, this also proves why Bellsprout is just better

TMs used: none
Misty(21): Vine Whip 2HKOs Staryu and a +1 one 3HKOs Starmie. You can put it to sleep, if you wish.

Blue #3(25): Wrap seems to be around a 7HKO on Pidgeotto, 8HKO on Ivysaur and 4HKO on Kadabra. Vine Whip 2HKOs Raticate. Not the best matchup

Lt. Surge(25): +2 Vine Whip 2HKOs Voltorb, OHKOs Pikachu, and 3HKOs Raichu. You can use sleep on Voltorb to set up more safely. You can also use it on Raichu, but it shouldn't be needed

Giovanni #1 (30): Vine Whip OHKOs Rocks and 4HKOs Kanga. Put Kanga to sleep to make it safer

Erika(30): Acid 2HKOs Tangela and 4HKOs the rest. It is not threatened as the AI spams Poisonpowder where possible

Blue #5 (40): Acid is a 3-4HKO on Pidgeot, while Razor Leaf 3HKOs Gyarados. Razor Leaf 2HKOs Growlithe and Acid 2HKOs Alakazam. Venusaur is not an issue. In general, the matchup is far from ideal, as you will receive damage quite often and may need healing

Giovanni #2 (40): Razor Leaf 2HKOs Nidorino and Nidoqueen and OHKOs the rest. Easy sweep

Koga(42): Razor Leaf 2HKOs Koffing, 3HKOs Muk, and 4HKOs Weezing. I could have tried SD + DEdge / Wrap here, but I was like "ehhh, Razor Leaf handles this to an acceptable level, so not gonna bother"

Sabrina(43): Acid 2HKOs Kadabra and Razor Leaf 2HKOs Mr. Mime and 3HKOs Alakazam. What you can do against Kadabra and Mr. Mime, since you outspeed, is Wrap them and thus OHKO them with the respective move. Venomoth can be muscled through with Wrap, as well. Alakazam generally beats you

Blaine(47): Acid 2HKOs the unevolved stuff, 3HKOs Rapidash and 4HKOs Arcanine. In general, if you land Sleep Powder, you can sweep. SD perhaps helps here, but I am sort of testing without SD at this point

Giovanni #3 (47): Razor Leaf 2HKOs Nidos and OHKOs the rest

Blue #6 (48): Razor Leaf 3HKOs Pidgeot, 2HKOs Gyarados and Growlithe, and OHKOs Rhyhorn. Acid 2HKOs Zam, but it can kill you with Psychic. Venusaur spams Poisonpowder, so no need to worry about it. You may wanna put Pidgeot to sleep, however.

Lorelei(51): Razor Leaf puts Dewgong in red, so use Wrap here to put it in range for OHKO (since you outspeed). Cloyster is OHKOed and Slowbro spams Amnesia. Jynx is almost 2HKOed by Acid, but it 2HKOs with Ice Punch, so avoid it. If at full, you live a Blizzard from Lapras and you outspeed and 2HKO with Razor Leaf. Great matchup, since you can relatively easily take out 4/5 of her team TMless.

Bruno(52): Razor Leaf 2HKOs Machamp and OHKOs the rest.

Agatha(52): this matchup is very sad. At best, you can just Wrap Golbat and Arbok, but getting past Gengar and Haunter is gonna be a nightmare

Lance(52): Acid 4HKOs Dragonair while Razor Leaf 3HKOs Gyarados and 2HKOs Aero. You will be taking some Hyper Beams from Gyara and Aero, but Dragons shouldn't be an issue, bar Dragonite, which will take some time due to Barrier.

Champion Blue(52): beats Rhydon easily. Gyarados is 4HKOed by Razor Leaf and you need to put it to sleep. Venusaur is not a threat, but will take some time with Acid if you do not have SD like me. The rest are bad matchups.

Snorlax definitely has some strong pluses, as well as strong minuses.

Let's start with the pluses first. There's no doubt that Snorlax hits insanely hard. Like, really. Outside the E4, I rarely failed to 2HKO or OHKO something. On the field, in particular, I often felt like anything that Snorlax touched died. Furthermore, while it is slow, chances are that EVs and higher levels will make you outspeed some of the slower threats and thus take them out with no issues whatsoever. Snorlax also has a number of useful matchups without relying on TMs whatsoever.

Now, what are the minuses? Well, first of all, it's relatively late into the game and technically requires sequence breaking, though, given its Erika matchup, that is a moot point. Along with Erika, the E4 matchup was definitely questionable and most of those matchups required contested TMs to be relatively efficient.

All in all, while Snorlax is super powerful when it touches stuff, the E4 performance + availability do push it to B, though, personally, pre-E4 performnce is close to S-tier. I do wish it was somewhat more viable, though.
Erika(30): Headbutt 3HKOs Victreebel and 2HKOs the rest. However, since it's slower, it will often be a victim to Sleep Powder. I tried Amnesia + Ice Beam for fun and that combo OHKOs Tangela and 2HKOs the rest, but you face the same issues

Blue #5 (40): Body Slam 2HKOs Pidgeot, Gyarados, and Venusaur and OHKOs the rest. Do watch out for Sand-Attacks and wearing out, as I generally win at low HP.

Giovanni #2 (41): Surf OHKOs Rhyhorn, Body Slam 3HKOs Nidoqueen and 2HKOs the rest, with Nidorino coming close to an OHKO

Koga(42): Body Slam 3HKOs Weezing and 2HKOs the rest. You only need to watch out for Smokescreen. Other than that, you are eating their attacks and status like nothing and thus can comfortably sweep

Sabrina(43): Body Slam 2HKOs Venomoth and OHKOs the rest, if they do not boost their Defense in some way. Easy sweep

Blaine(47): Body Slam OHKOs the unevolved stuff and 2HKOs the rest. Only thing to watch out for is Fire Spin, but other than that, great matchup. Never tried Surf + Amnesia, but Body Slam should be fine here

Giovanni #3(48): Surf OHKOs Rhyhorn and Rhydon, while Body Slam OHKOs Dugtrio and 2HKOs Nidos. No problems in this matchup.

Blue #6 (48): Body Slam 2HKOs Pidgeot and Gyarados, OHKOs Alakazam and Growlithe and 2HKOs Venusaur on rolls (though BSlam + DEdge KO it. DEdge is learned at level 48). Rhyhorn is OHKOed by Surf. Note that you may struggle with Zam if you've taken damage from previous mons, most notably Gyarados's Hydro Pump

Lorelei(51): Body Slam 2HKOs Dewgong on rolls (though DEdge finishes off) and seems to be around a 4HKO on Cloyster. 3HKOs Lapras and Slowbro and OHKOs Jynx. Note that Growls hinder you severely. I tried Amnesia + TBolt for fun and it made the matchup a lot of faster and less hax reliant, as I could 2HKO or even OHKO most things with a +2 Thunderbolt without worrying about anything

Bruno(51): Surf OHKOs Onix. If you set up an Amnesia, Surf OHKOs Hitmons and 2HKOs Machamp on rolls. However, Fighting STABs 2HKO it

Agatha(51): +4 Surf 3HKOs Gengar #2 and 2HKOs the rest, with BSlam 2HKOing the non-Ghosts. Note that Golbat can Haze away the boosts. As a whole, the matchup is not ideal, because you take Hypnosis and Night Shade very often.

Lance(51): Body Slam 2HKOs Dragonair and 3HKOs Dragonite and Gyarados. Aerodactyl is 2HKOed by Surf. You take lots of damage from Hyper Beams, though, so you are not sweeping.

Champion Blue(51): Body Slam 3HKOs Pidgeot, 2HKOs Zam with a roll for OHKO and 3HKOs Venusaur and Gyarados. Surf OHKOs Rhydon and +2 Surf 2HKOs Arcanine. Pidgeot, if it doesn't deal too much damage, is not too bad. Against Zam, you can set up Amnesia to take less damage from non-crit attacks. You may need to heal a bit against Gyarados, but Venusaur and Arcanine shouldn't prove problematic after that. I tried Ice Beam + Amnesia here and it can sweep, potentially, but you may have to heal against Gyarados.

I evolved mine at level 30 after getting Aurora Beam so I can see if you can use that instead of Ice Beam.

Truth to be told, Ice Beam is superior to Aurora Beam. Ice Beam OHKOs things that Aurora Beam doesn't. Period. If you are using Cloyster, you should teach it Ice Beam and evolve at level 23 when you get Clamp.

Now, for Shellder, there really isn't much to say that I cannot say about most mid-game Waters. It spams Surf, clicks Ice Beam occassionally. Like, really, the only thing that diffenetrates it from the rest, besides Ice Beam STAB, is Clamp.

As for tier? Again, it basically does Water things, so it's hard to say which tier would be more approriate and whenever availability has to be taken into account. I used the level 15 one and not the Seafoam one, by the way. I don't think B is entirely out of question for Shellder, it's pmuch no different than Tentacool, which seems to be headed towards B-tier itself. But I am fine with either C or B, really.

TMs used: Ice Beam

Erika(30): Aurora Beam 2HKOs everything. Ice Beam doesn't change the matchup a lot, other than OHKO Tangela. Victreebel OHKOs with Razor Leaf, so avoid that

Blue #5 (40): Aurora Beam 2HKOs Pidgeot, with Ice Beam OHKOing. Also 4HKOs (3HKO with Ice Beam) Gyarados. Growlithe is OHKOed by Surf. Alakazam can be beaten with Clamp if you are lucky enough, otherwise, it will likely finish you off. Ice STAB 2HKOs Venusur and you need AI derp to beat it.

Giovanni (all fights): spam Surf

Koga(42): Surf OHKOs Koffing on rolls and seems to be a 2HKO on rolls on Muk. 3HKOs Weezing. You can Clamp, if you are too worried about them beating Cloyster, but I never tried it

Sabrina(43): Surf 3HKOs Alakazam and 2HKOs the rest. Nothing different from other Waters, other than the ability to Clamp Zam while it Reflects

Blaine(47): Surf

Blue #6 (48): Aurora Beam 2HKOs Pidgeot, with Ice Beam OHKOing. 4HKOs with Aurora Beam and 3HKOs with Ice Beam Gyarados. Growlithe and Rhyhorn die to Surf. Zam is annoying to deal with, as it lives two Surfs and can damage you with Psychic. Ice STAB 2HKOs Venusaur, which can OHKO you with Razor Leaf.

Lorelei(52): I don't think I have to explain why this matchupp is inefficient. It does beat Jynx, but that's it

Bruno(52): Surf 2HKOs Machamp and OHKOs the rest, outspeeding all.

Agatha(52): Surf 3HKOs Ghosts, 2HKOs Arbok and Ice Beam 2HKOs Golbat. It's the same as every Water, not an ideal matchup

Lance(52): Ice Beam 3HKOs Gyarados and OHKOs the Dragons, with Aurora Beam 2HKOing. Aero dies to Surf.

Champion Blue(53): Aurora Beam 2HKOs Pidgeot, with Ice Beam nailing an OHKO. Surf OHKOs Rhydon and Arcanine. Ice STAB 2HKOs Venusaur and you win if it doesn't go for Razor Leaf

Articuno is a special case for RBY tiering. It comes a lot later than most things, as you want to beat Silph Co. as well to get Master Ball (unless you wanna spend time actually catching it). However, it comes at the colossially high for that time level of 50, which means that it will be maintaining a level advantage up to Blue #6. Furthermore, it has no need for contested TMs whatsoever, as it learns two great Ice STABs through level (and comes equipped with Ice Beam). The only TM that you want to teach it is Bubble Beam to deal with Fire-types better and to not waste Ice Beam PP against weaker targets like Rhyhorn.

Now, that's not to say Articuno is flawless. Other than the late availability, Articuno sucks for Lorelei, that we all know. However, I also found its matchup against Agatha somewhat disappointing, because it will sometimes fail to 2HKO things and all the Ghosts are faster than it, so they can status it.

I do have to mention that my Articuno had no EVs in any fight and was level 51 the whole time. It is important to stretch the fact that Articuno perhaps would be a lot stronger if you were to dump all your Rare Candies in it and gave it all the fights you could (so, essentially, soloing with it). Even though I didn't do that, Articuno still performed well in all bar two fights. Whenever it's B or A, it depends on which usage we are gonna agree on. I can see doing what I suggested opening lots of gray areas for everything else (e.g. nothing stops me from dumping my 7-9 Rare Candies onto my level 52 Snorlax and thus buff its performance significantly), though given Articuno's initial level, it can abuse that somewhat better than everything else.

for "logs", I will just state this:
- sweeps Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni, Blue #6, and Bruno.

- Lorelei: not a good matchup, as you take a lot of time to tke out stuff. However, Fly seems to be a 3HKO on Dewgong and Jynx, if that helps. Ice Beam also seems to be a 4HKO on Slowbro.

- Agatha: Ice Beam 2HKOs Haunter and Arbok, OHKOs Golbat, and 3HKOs Gengar. The matchup is not actually that good, since you are outsped by Haunter and Gengar.

-Lance: only wants to avoid Gyarados, since it's taking heavy damage here while 3HKOing with Ice Beam, but the rest die to Ice Beam

-Champion Blue: beats Pidgeot, Venusaur, and Rhydon. The rest is 3HKOed by Ice Beam and deal heavy damage to it or just beat it, though you can beat Arcanine, I guess.

I also have a run with Golem / Machamp / Vaporeon / Kabutops. I am actually pretty much done with it, but I need some time to analyze their matchups. I am gonna do another run with Raticate / Slowbro / Exeggutor / Electabuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)