Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

I hadn't acutally looked into this before, but I see now that the way it works is it maintains their current symbole and they gain an additional, new symbol to represent Battle Readiness.

In that case I think the game is actually set up for it. If you look at the summary screen, next to the "tera" mark, which I presume is the gen 9 native mark, there's another blank circle. That's probably where the battle ready mark goes.
While tecnically logic, what I struggle a bit with is the fact that there is no NPC right now for it.

Granted, they could just add it with the Home compatibility patch, but back in SwSh the NPC was brand new in the IoA area.

Honestly the main reason for which the ruling is intriguing me currently is the fact that they actually add the mention of Home transfers in first place. Last I checked, Home compatibility was stated to be coming for Spring 2023, and I don't quite see "season 1" lasting 4 months, so maybe it's coming sooner than we expected.

I wouldn't know where to look for the first batch of SwSh ruleset obviously, but I am quite confident that before Isle of Armor, the only requirements listed were the gen 8 native mark, and pokedex number, with no reference to Home transfers whatsoever.
If I were someone having to approve the team lists and I saw someone try to "um actually" rules lawyer a wish chansey from gen 3 onto the list I'd just hit them with a warning on principle with the note of "bro."
Hey don't break my hopes and dreams to actually be able to use Eruption Heatran in VGC some day :(...

While tecnically logic, what I struggle a bit with is the fact that there is no NPC right now for it.

Granted, they could just add it with the Home compatibility patch, but back in SwSh the NPC was brand new in the IoA area.

Honestly the main reason for which the ruling is intriguing me currently is the fact that they actually add the mention of Home transfers in first place. Last I checked, Home compatibility was stated to be coming for Spring 2023, and I don't quite see "season 1" lasting 4 months, so maybe it's coming sooner than we expected.

I wouldn't know where to look for the first batch of SwSh ruleset obviously, but I am quite confident that before Isle of Armor, the only requirements listed were the gen 8 native mark, and pokedex number, with no reference to Home transfers whatsoever.

Hey don't break my hopes and dreams to actually be able to use Eruption Heatran in VGC some day :(...
It is intriguing but there could be any number of internal reasons why they wanted to mention it now. Including just accidental lol

Also The NPC was added alongside the IOA but more specifically it was added to the battle tower
The EV reset lady was in the IOA. In the middle of the ocean. For some reason.

Also pointing out that this is the first time since Gen 5 that the rules don't say all Pokemon must have the SV origin mark.

In contrast, for SwSh, even in January 2020 when it was impossible to have a Pokemon without the Galar symbol, the rules still said all Pokemon must have the Galar symbol. (proof)

Honestly the notes are a little weird in general. They list the start date but not the end date but the rules are meant to presumably match the Series 1 Regulations (since that's also the battle stadium format) that SV's been using sicne December 2nd and will end January 31st. Shown with only the Paldea Pokedex pokemon being allowed (you'll note that you couldn't bring Quagsire or Perrserker) , disallowing Paradoxes and the legends.
The regulations in the game don't mention the battle mark either, but it also doesn't mention Home at all.
Series 1 in the documentation allows for Johtonian Wooper and Galarian Meowth, but both are disallowed in the game proper despite being available.

Actually the game notes are funny because it has a blank spot for Roaming Form Gimmighoul (showing it's ineligible, does the same for the legends & paradoxes), but Tauros doesn't get a blank spot despite being in a similar position. Wooper & Meowth don't get them either, which is funny.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
PIKA#'S SCARLET & VIOLET OVERVIEW:
I finally gotten through the main stor(y/ies) and finishing up on the immediate post game, so I'm finally ready to share some of my thoughts. Going to have to do this in parts and can't promise I'll be able to post everyday, though I'll definitely try getting this done before the end of this month. I'll also put everything in spoiler tags even though at this point I think most people know what happens and are in the post game too.

Now this isn't going to be a step-by-step of the plot and gameplay progression. I'm assuming everyone at least vaguely remembers what happens, so I'm just only going to mention things I want to talk about.

After a greatly appreciated expanded customization, we start at home. And, as some of you may remember, I posted a whole list of complaints in the Little Annoyance thread right off the bat. So you can read that if you'd like to know how my first, say, 30 minutes with the game was like. Seriously, that no running thing is just a weird decision.

Also seems a bit off that Director Clavell came personally to deliver documents and the Starters. Does he do that with all new students? I know the game contrived it that the player was the only "new" student, but even then this feels more like something at most a teacher like Jacq would be tasked than the Director of the whole academy. Though with Nemona being the president of the student council, could easily be headcanon'ed that he actually had to talk to her about something and realized the new student just so happened to be across the road; KOing two Pidgey with one Rock Slide.

Nemona guides us to Mesagoza and the games takes no time to give us our Motorcycle Legendary. Cute how we bond with it via giving it a sandwich for it to get better (mom, what type of sandwiches are you making that revive Legendaris?). The faux-battle with the Houndoom was also a nice touch, and that Nemona points out it looks like a (weird) Cyclizar. Of course we can't ride it yet, which means after returning it to its Poke Ball its pretty much just sitting there in our "party" until the Treasure Hunt begins which does feel a bit clunky storywise. "Here's the mascot Legendary, it's been given to you but it can't battle and you're not allowed to ride it yet... you might as well not have it as far as the story is concern at this point".

Being the next segment after that is the first town and our first taste of the open world, not to mention all of Mesagoza, I feel maybe they should have maybe had Arven keep the Mascot Legendary and reveal later he gave it to Director Clavell for sake keeping (though also told him about your rescue and quick bonding with it thus why you would get called in to help regain its power as Arven doesn't want to do it). Or, being Clavell is in the area, have him come up somewhat aware of the situation (we can assume the escape happened earlier in the day which would have given the Professor enough time to contact Clavell before leaving), and take custody of the Legendary though noting its bond to the player (hence why the player is called later); could maybe even be another reason why he's out there as he got reports of a mysterious creature flying toward that direction.

Anyway, the first taste of the open world is fun to explore, surprised how far you were allowed to go before being restricted by the geography. I also like if you explore enough you get the first glimpse of a sealed door and a black stake over a gap. Very nice foreshadowing.

Mesagoza puts Motostoke to shame... mainly because we can explore all of Mesagoza! GF put in a lot of work, and not just for Mesagoza but for all the cities/towns. While some are more impressive than others, they all also have their own unique aesthetics, some matching their Gym Leader's theme which helps build out their characters. Of course bigger/more complex the city/town the more it lags... remember kids: save time, save often. I had only experienced only one major crash (or rather it just not loading, I beat a raid and it never loaded me back into the overworld), I have gotten a few freezes which thankfully cleared up after a bit but made my heart skip a beat as I think back to the last time I saved. You gotta make a stability patch GF, you're lucky Pokemon is an established franchise otherwise you'd have a Cyberpunk 2077 on your hand. Though one quick small credit to GF about putting in the anti-hardlock feature of resetting our character onto solid ground if we get stuck in a falling animation (which has happened to me a few times... two notable being between two slanted roofs and another over some barrels).

So, we finally get settled into the school and given our own dorm... AND then time jump to the Treasure Hunt. Huh. Like, I get it, you don't want to drag the player through classes (unless they want to) and get to the actual game. But at the same time it just feels odd it's implied weeks if not months have suddenly passed yet nothing about your Pokemon team has changed (and the Legendary is still just chilling as your unofficial seventh member; Did you ever bond with it more? Did it stay in its Poke Ball most of the time? Were there incidents others became aware of it? WHO KNOWS!). Actually, not only hasn't your team changed, but when you do take classes your teachers act its the first day you're attending! And they're not meant to be taken as like flashbacks, so what was your character doing for several weeks/months? If they wanted to get right to the Treasure Hunt, I say have it that a current attending group (which would include Arven and Penny) are about to go on their Treasure Hunt. Nemona, seeing how good you are, pulls in some favors and gets you to a part of the Treasure Hunt with the option you can at anytime go back and attend classes. I mean, she got you the Tera Orb with is said to be a very powerful only trusted trainers are given, at this point I would buy she let you join in the newest Treasure Hunt instead of waiting until your group was ready for yours.

On the Treasure Hunt now, but I feel we forgot something... OH, yeah, letting you ride the Legendary and giving you ALL the objectives! Well, all the objectives for Victory Road & Starfall, for some reason Arven gives you the location of the Titans before the time skip. Like, if anyone would be giving you the location of their objectives early, I think it would have been Nemona showing you where the Gyms are. Like the scene right after you meet with Arven where he shows you the locations you speak with Nemona about Victory Road, that would have been the spot where I think she would have added their locations on the map.

Anyway, I think this is where I'll end today's thoughts. Next few posts I'll go into the different stories individually (as well as more into the characters). Though, I gotta say, for all the build-up that you can do whatever story you want, well that was sure LIE! Not only are you required to do ALL the stories to get to the post game, but due to how some of the progression mechanics work you pretty much need to do at least the Victory Road and Path of Titans story side-by-side (though you will still also need to do Starfall Street at some point as well for plot reasons; so essentially you're doing all stories regardless). Not like I don't think anyone wasn't planning on doing all of them, (it's not like one storyline has you needing to do Pokemon Contests, they're all different flavors of basic battling) still if you thought you could wait till post game to do one of the stories, not happening.

Also seems a bit off that Director Clavell came personally to deliver documents and the Starters. Does he do that with all new students? I know the game contrived it that the player was the only "new" student, but even then this feels more like something at most a teacher like Jacq would be tasked than the Director of the whole academy. Though with Nemona being the president of the student council, could easily be headcanon'ed that he actually had to talk to her about something and realized the new student just so happened to be across the road; KOing two Pidgey with one Rock Slide.
I believe he says at the start to your Mom who asks the same question that it should have had the documents delivered ahead of time and he takes his job seriously (narratively this is also to set up his more important role elsewhere), as well as the fact that he specifically needed to talk with Nemona's parents (who were out regardless, typical).
Seems little headcannons needed, to me.

A decent number of pokemon games make a lot more sense when you realize the PC's mother is sleeping with the main professor. This game the director fills the same role.
Anyway, I think this is where I'll end today's thoughts. Next few posts I'll go into the different stories individually (as well as more into the characters). Though, I gotta say, for all the build-up that you can do whatever story you want, well that was sure LIE! Not only are you required to do ALL the stories to get to the post game, but due to how some of the progression mechanics work you pretty much need to do at least the Victory Road and Path of Titans story side-by-side (though you will still also need to do Starfall Street at some point as well for plot reasons; so essentially you're doing all stories regardless). Not like I don't think anyone wasn't planning on doing all of them, (it's not like one storyline has you needing to do Pokemon Contests, they're all different flavors of basic battling) still if you thought you could wait till post game to do one of the stories, not happening.
I'm considering a challenge run where I do one story completely with 1 team, another story with a different team, and then a third story with team #3. It'd open up interesting options IMO, and make things a lot harder even if it means grinding more.

I'm considering a challenge run where I do one story completely with 1 team, another story with a different team, and then a third story with team #3. It'd open up interesting options IMO, and make things a lot harder even if it means grinding more.
That's what I did, it was pretty fun for me. Legends > Starfall > Victory Road. For the first two I definitely ended up underleveled for the later fights and resorted to things like revive-rocky helmet cycling to beat some bosses instead of grinding, but I enjoyed the unorthodox way of beating opponents. Potion+PP-stalling aurora beams so I could get to +6 and sweep was another fun one.

Not like I don't think anyone wasn't planning on doing all of them, (it's not like one storyline has you needing to do Pokemon Contests, they're all different flavors of basic battling) still if you thought you could wait till post game to do one of the stories, not happening.
*raises hand*

Putting aside the idea of rushing the Crater so that there's actually something to do with paradox mons (which is also impossible), I was sufficiently unenthused by the autobattle that I was seriously considering skipping Starfall Street on my way to the postgame (the titans were at meh excitement but I could at least see doing them). Of course, given the lack of repeatable postgame worth working towards, my current plan appears to involve skipping the entire game instead.

Serebii has assembled a list of pokemon that can swim in water.
It is intriguing but there could be any number of internal reasons why they wanted to mention it now. Including just accidental lol

Also The NPC was added alongside the IOA but more specifically it was added to the battle tower
The EV reset lady was in the IOA. In the middle of the ocean. For some reason.
The battle ready NPC's dialogue also existed in the base game of SWSH unused, so it was probably planned to be there in the first place, though with different text than what actually got added. At this point I wouldn't blame gamefreak for not dealing with legacy moves anymore either way, especially with all the different games a mon can be on the Switch and can come to Gen 9 from and the current learnset inconsistencies that they may or may not deal with. When you think about it we could even have a mon go straight from Gen 5 to Gen 9 without stopping in a main game.

Goofy voice: "I think you can find some ingredients around here"

...I mean I take the free stuff again but still... why bother with making gifts of like, less than 10k pokedollars store value?
Weird stuff
We need a "confused" Psyduck reaction
cuase let me tell you, this little guy

it's basically the only appropriate reaction to a lot of the decisions made by this franchise since Let's Go

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ahh, right the Pikaclone. That one slipped my mind ahaha. We're definitely getting one of those this gen too.

I think the odds of it being at least unique and a competent battler will be pretty high. They've been pretty good about making recent Pikaclones competent battlers since Alola, as Togedemaru and Morpeko, while not competitive superstars by any means, are surprisingly good in-game as well as in Smogon lower tiers and both got pretty fun typings to boot. Of course, that's not a guarantee that Gen 9's Pikaclone will be on the same level as Morpeko and Togedemaru, but there's hope that it'll at least be a good lower tier mon and very competent and usable in-game. We may also be in for another type combo: Dedenne was part Fairy, Togedemaru was part Steel, and Morpeko was part Dark, so the SV Pikaclone may also have a second type.
Electric/Fighting. Zeraora and Electivire will end up crying in a corner.
Looking back at a conversation I made in this thread about speculating for SV's new archetype Pokemon, especially the Pikaclone. I bolded the post I'm highlighting, with my own for context.

Talk about a wild twist of fate. The Pikaclone for Gen 9 ended up being an Electric/Fighting type for real.

Looking back at a conversation I made in this thread about speculating for SV's new archetype Pokemon, especially the Pikaclone. I bolded the post I'm highlighting, with my own for context.

Talk about a wild twist of fate. The Pikaclone for Gen 9 ended up being an Electric/Fighting type for real.
And the best part being, we got even a second Electric/Fighting.

Both Zeraora and Electivire are now crying in a corner. Well at least they will get to Terastal into a Fighting type if they really want :psysly:

I imagine tomorrow's might be a bunch of materials? With the Charizard event happening again soon it's probably all to do with that

waiting for the Apriball giveaway

Cancel that, not ingredients today.

Donald no longer proud.

(Honestly more useful than the ingredients tbh)
I don't know how to tell you this but there was also ingredients

The fourth of the new daily distributions have begun in Pokémon Scarlet & Violet. This distribution will get you a random selection of sandwich items and there will be more codes given throughout the week to get even more items
Possible Rewards
5 Whipped Cream, 5 Jam, 5 Yogurt, 5 Peanut Butter and 5 Marmalade
5 Bacon, 5 Ham, 5 Prosciutto, 5 Chorizo, 5 Herbed Sausage, 5 Hamburger
5 Curry Powder, 5 Rice, 5 Noodles, 5 Cheese, 5 Egg
5 Bacon, 5 Lettuce, 5 Tomato, 5 Cheese, 5 Mayonnaise, 5 Mustard
5 Smoked Fillet, 5 Rice, 5 Wasabi, 5 Salt, 5 Vinegar
5 Chili Sauce, 5 Jalapeno, 5 Curry Powder, 5 Wasabi, 5 Horseradish
5 Cherry Tomatoes, 5 Cucumber, 5 Green Bell Pepper, 5 Avocado, 5 Red Onion, 5 Watercress
5 Banana, 5 Strawberry, 5 Apple, 5 Kiwi, 5 Pineapple
10 Portato Tortilla, 10 Tofu, 10 Potato Salad, 10 Hamburger, 10 Friend Fillet, 10 Noodles
30 Klawf Sticks
They are obtained with the code SALTV1NEGAR

I don't know how to tell you this but there was also ingredients
To be honest I already knew of this one (was the post just below it), but I purposely glissed over it cause I had to make my Donald pun.

I knew I shouldn't have gifted KH3 to my friend...

*ahem*
Afaik the rewards for the ingredient codes are actually always from the same pool anyhow, I've seen reports of people getting the exact same.

Honestly I still struggle to see the point of these codes... I guess they may have made some sort of deal with some food chain or something and are kinda advertising it?
If this is their idea of "daily incentive to get people to log", I'm quite sure they have missed something about "useful" rewards...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)