Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That was surprisingly less information than I thought. No region name or gimmick? The region name not being known is surprising...I mean Alola and Kalos had their names revealed in May of their respective years...so what gives?

The starters look cute though! And we have version-exclusive professors...which is surprising. The legendaries look a little weird to me, but I'll warm up to them with time, I suppose.

Now to see more of what they have to reveal with time.

That was surprisingly less information than I thought. No region name or gimmick? The region name not being known is surprising...I mean Alola and Kalos had their names revealed in May of their respective years...so what gives?
Plot twist... the region is Kanto :psysly:
Ah yes, Shellder!
Can't wait for King's Rock to be banned from Smogon once again :trode:
So going back to this, I'm not sure?

We do see the sneaking animation but the one time they show the capture animation it kind of seems like they're in a traditional battle judging by the camera angles.
I'd still be fine with regular battle/capture mechanics as long as they do something about the whole "3 mins to start the battle and 3 mins to finish it" issue.
Give me the Arceus "post-battle" any day over the main series one.

Seems like one school (and legendary) embraces the past, and the other the future
Mirai is also the Japanese word for "future"; looks like the straightforward word for "past" would be kako, which would transliterate... very badly in a Spain-based region, but I presume there's a relevant word that looks like korai (which is, incidentally, a Hungarian word for "early").

Edit: found korai

Last edited:
i wish we got to see a new, fully-evolved mon in this trailer. these new guys are cute and all but it'd be nice to see something cool and strong like corviknight to get excited for.

also, the outdoors pokemon center shown in the trailer looks really cool. if this game really is all about exploration then it'll be nice to have a way of healing that is faster and more immediately accessible

More importantly, look at that Stonehenge-like formation at the bottom of the screenshot. Cool!

It has already been said many times, but Lechonk is amazing. As a Filipino person, just hearing the name kinda makes me hungry (sorry). I can't stop saying it out loud; Lechonk! :)

Also, after reading the details on the starters, I think the name "Quaxly" is supposed to incorporate "wax". Not sure if everyone already knew this, but it just clicked for me.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
It has come to my attention that a few more details have come out about these new Pokémon, and I for one would like to apologize for any confusion I've had over the past half hour. Am I still disappointed with this game so far? Definitely. Do I want to take away your guys' enjoyment? I would rather not. I have nothing against other people enjoying this trailer. I just think we deserve better as fans, that's all.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Disliked both legendaries until I saw their artwork, and now I really like the Scarlet one. They looked extremely awkward in-game. Could we not have seen them doing something? Zacian and Zamazenta got to fight a little, Xerneas and Yveltal soared and swooped and paced around in their first trailer. These just... stood there.

By the way am I the only one slightly unsettled that the trading animation in this game has you send the pokeballs to the fucking orbit? :psynervous:
That was the case in Gen IV as well.

I didn't mean dexit specifically, what I mean is, what will be the absolutely unpopular decision that will enrage the entire fanbase.
There's always one. There has to be.
Honestly while yes I do expect something awful, I'm expecting these games to be overall quality products.

Consider the last couple of generations where we've had two gens on the same console:

DPPHGSS were good, but in hindsight, not polished

BWB2W2 were subsequently very polished

XYORAS were good, but again not that polished

SMUSUM were subsequently very polished

Even though SM were a downgrade in some small ways from XY, the animations were better, the game played more smoothly... the kinks were ironed out. I'm really hoping the same holds true for SV. They've had time to learn and get to grips with the Switch, I'm expecting a far smoother and more competent game this time around. Hell, PLA seems to be an upgrade from SwSh already, and these games appear to be following its lead.

That's me being optimistic, which frankly I hate to do. But it's been on my mind lately.

(how many times can I fit "polished" into one post)

pawmi.png
I'm guessing this is Gen IX's pikaclone? it's pretty cute, I guess. Bit wierd that they revealed it so early (normally we don't see the pikaclone until a a few months in). Also, Natural Cure is an interesting Ability for it.

lechonk.png
They straight up named this thing "Lechonk" lmao. I love it. The site says its body is mostly muscle... perhaps it'll evolve into a Fighting-type?
smoliv.png
I don't really get how this thing is Normal-type but it's cute so idgaf. Early Bird is kind of a random ability though. And they named it Smoliv... whoever named this batch of mons deserves a raise.
koraidon.png
miraidon.png

These legendaries are... alright. They've definitely got a "past and future" theme going on (Miraidon even has the Japanese word for "future" in its name). Not too sure about their typings (Miraidon is definitely part Electric-type, but I'm enitrely lost on Koraidon). Probably gonna end up picking Violet for Miraidon, but we'll wait and see what the other exclusives are.
god damn it.jpg
oh, for fuck's sake.

With the past/future motif I wonder if the reason they haven't revealed the name is because the region's name is different in each version to represent the past/future. Kind of like Hisui/Sinnoh but on a smaller scale. Could see Opelucid-style retheming of certain areas and stuff if they really want to go in with the theme.

With the past/future motif I wonder if the reason they haven't revealed the name is because the region's name is different in each version to represent the past/future. Kind of like Hisui/Sinnoh but on a smaller scale. Could see Opelucid-style retheming of certain areas and stuff if they really want to go in with the theme.
That's an interesting thought BUUUUT I feel the amount of differences between the game to have such a harsh difference would be too big. Unless it's a very small time difference (in which case why even bother?) the areas and people would need to be completely different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)