Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Since the legendaries are themed after past and present, what will their signature moves be like?
I like to think Koraidon gets a Fighting type priority move like Sucker Punch or Extreme Speed while Miraidon gets a buffed Future Sight.
Obviously a unique-to-them pivot move. With this animation.

I'm still upset about them cutting back customization. Like, I enjoy a good chunk of what's been announced so far, but that one key bit is really bugging me. Other games are significantly better than Pokemon about this, they need to figure out how to do it better.

Obviously a unique-to-them pivot move. With this animation.

I'm still upset about them cutting back customization. Like, I enjoy a good chunk of what's been announced so far, but that one key bit is really bugging me. Other games are significantly better than Pokemon about this, they need to figure out how to do it better.
at the rate the games come out relative to the rate they need ot keep up with technology I think we'll be lucky if gen 10 even has customization

Since the legendaries are themed after past and present, what will their signature moves be like?
I like to think Koraidon gets a Fighting type priority move like Sucker Punch or Extreme Speed while Miraidon gets a buffed Future Sight.
With Miraidon that's exactly what I was thinking, for Koraidon I was thinking a damaging move that would reset the battlefield to what it was 3 turns ago (for example if Stealth Rock wasn't on your side 3 turns ago but since then it was set up, the move would remove it). This way Koraidon has a move that represents the past. Seems like everyone wants it to have a sick motorcycle move though, and it still can while retaining the effects.

Where do see defenders of that stuff?

Dex Cut: No one likes the Dex Cut (or Limited Dex as I call it). The only things I can think that might have made you think that was around that time people were giving GF a lot of heat so some players began a counter campaign to thank GF for their work. There was also many who said the reason for the Limited Dex was because GF were being forced to make a game every year thus had to cut corners. None of these were in support of the Limited Dex, rather one was from the result of the anger at GF and the other more trying to explain why GF was doing it, though both groups would agree it stinks they did it.
I do like the Dex Cut myself but that's more for competitive reasons. I feel like it freshened up the meta game a ton and did a lot of it. Even if in game and lore wise I hate it.

I do like the Dex Cut myself but that's more for competitive reasons. I feel like it freshened up the meta game a ton and did a lot of it. Even if in game and lore wise I hate it.
I'm not aware of how it positively impacted any competitive format. VGC changed mostly due to the replacement of Megas with Dynamax and the removal of restricted legends (at first). The mons that were good before who survived Dexit are still good. Same with singles. Cutting the dex doesn't increase potential viable mons, it reduces counterplay and centralizes a meta around fewer Pokemon. For example gen 7 OU had 56 Pokemon with 3%+ usage while gen 8 has 46 (1825 stats). Pre DLC gen 8 had only 36 Pokemon with 3%+ usage. In addition gen 8 has 7 Pokemon with 20%+ usage while gen 7 has 4. Early gen 8 pre-DLC was absolutely awful. Just Clefable / Toxapex / Corviknight on every team.

Dexit "freshened" things by cutting options but in a random way, not in a targeted specific balance kind of way. Come on, you aren't telling me Meganium was cut for balance reasons while Toxapex and Incineroar stayed. And if the idea is to get away from the overused Pokemon in Smogon and VGC metas you can just play UU, or Gamefreak can host VGC events where previous top mons are rotated out of the format. There are ways to have your cake and eat it but Dexit is not that.

Since BDSP, Home, and Pokemon Go have shown that the models exist for modern HD games it seems only light texture work is done to update them for SwSh and S/V. My theory is Dexit was originally done due to incompetence on Gamefreak's part when the games moved from handhelds to the Switch. There's no other excuse for why the Pokemon series first major console RPG could look and play so bad when it has so little content compared to its predecessor. They're probably keeping Dexit because the SwSh DLC proved they can easily pad low effort DLC with "100 returning Pokemon" and generate excitement for a 30 minute fetch quest that should have been included in the game for free.

Sorry to say but Pokemon is gradually adopting worse and worse business practices. I hope S/V is better but I'm really not convinced that this isn't just going to be another reskinned SwSh abomination.

Last edited:
I saw this interesting twitter thread analyzing all the recently revealed details and remarking on possible story symbolism with how the map and its colours are laid out around the region. There's some casual mentions of the recent leaks to tie it together.

1659920234527.png
1659920247416.png

It also reminded me to expand on my prior note on the tera raid battle; I believe this generic laser move from the trailer could be the rumoured universal Tera-type move (Tera Beam?) as it's shown to have the green grass effect and super effective sound effect on hit and Pelipper and Hydreigon currently do not learn any grass moves *that would look like that. (EDIT: I missed that Pelipper gets Seed Bomb.)
1659920831231.png

1659920853575.png
1659921352513.png

Based on what the trailer showed, moves in tera mode seem to keep their base animations like Leafage and the flashy effect is added on hit, and regular move animations seemed to play out normally even with direct attacks like Hydreigon probably Dragon Rushing Gardevoir, so I'm pretty sure this is all meant to be the same move being used by all the pokemon.

1659921208636.png
1659921179629.png

Here's a comparison of regular Ember and tera Ember as well. On a rewatch I also noticed the whole battlefield turns dark to highlight the shine. Also it hasn't been explicitly pointed out yet, but Pikachu has its game boy cry like Legends which they went out of their way to show, so I wonder if the anime cry will still show up somewhere. Maybe Partner Pikachu will finally be freed or it'll just be on the cap Pikachu.

Wait, why do all four of those become Grass-types? Yes, best type to beat Water, but I doubt most trainers are in a hurry to grab a Tera-Grass for Hydreigon or Pelipper. I see 2 options:
1: Someone at GF rushed the trailer, used dev tools to generate the appropriate mons, and said "make them all grass" for convenience(or whatever reason)
2: There's an option in Max Tera Raids to automatically set everyone involved's Tera Type to the best one.
Option 2 seems significant. Possibly a result of people complaining about fellow players/NPCs in Max Raids showing up and getting one-shot by EQ? And now there's an option to guarantee that everyone on your side resists the raid mon's STAB. That might be very convenient, though IDK how they'd justify it.

Wait, why do all four of those become Grass-types? Yes, best type to beat Water, but I doubt most trainers are in a hurry to grab a Tera-Grass for Hydreigon or Pelipper. I see 2 options:
1: Someone at GF rushed the trailer, used dev tools to generate the appropriate mons, and said "make them all grass" for convenience(or whatever reason)
2: There's an option in Max Tera Raids to automatically set everyone involved's Tera Type to the best one.
Option 2 seems significant. Possibly a result of people complaining about fellow players/NPCs in Max Raids showing up and getting one-shot by EQ? And now there's an option to guarantee that everyone on your side resists the raid mon's STAB. That might be very convenient, though IDK how they'd justify it.
I think it's just dev tools with a combination of "Obviously, many people would tackle the water raid with a grass type : )"

when in reality obviously 2 people would come with fire type and one person would come with grass type and you would come with electric

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
To be fair they did only reveal the tera crowns for 5 types so far and Grass is the only one of them that's good against Water. They're probably just trying to keep other type crowns unrevealed for the time being so the trailer resorted to using Grass

Either way idt its something worth pondering upon that much because its a minor detail that's on the trailer for one second and probably doesn't really mean anything

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just so this thread doesn't lock before I have a good chance to look at the map, how about a quick look at the map to see if there's anything we can spin a discussion about, and I just may know the thing:

Currently looking at the High Quality Map and playing "Spot a Gym" (or well, what I've at least been assuming is a gym). Basically just looking for the big field with a Pokéball in the center.

View attachment 444710
This is most likely the one we've seen in the latest trailer with the ice femboy gym leader. This being pretty much confirmed to be a gym arena is what makes me think all of the following ones will also be gyms.

View attachment 444711
And this is the one we saw on the second trailer

View attachment 444713
See, this one's kind of weird. Its on the first town and is most likely what we see in the below tag on the first trailer as well

The floor kind of matches colour and the "seemingly early game" placement holds up but the background is fairly different, since on the map it is in the middle of a town while in the trailer its near some cliffs, a body of water and sand instead of grass. Which also means it could be the following instead:

View attachment 444715
Where the background matches a lot more but the area is very far away from the first town for it to be your first battle. Very weird.

Other than that, found these:

View attachment 444712
View attachment 444716
View attachment 444717

View attachment 444719

I have also found the following:

View attachment 444718
Which, judging by the four-coloured field instead of a singular colour like every other field, I'm assuming is the Elite 4.

I'll leave an edited map below with all these areas highlited so yalls can have an idea of where they're located

View attachment 444720
Thank you AquaticPanic for searching these out, surprised no one has speculated Gym Types.

Ignoring what I'm assuming is the Professor's house (which is of course right across from your house), which has a battling field on the beach for the first battle with Nemona, the first likely Gym we come to is in the city where the Academy is, Mesagoza. Honestly could be any Type, but Remoraid-to-head, I'll say Psychic-type. "Psychic for what possibly is the FIRST Gym? Isn't that a bit much for the start, wouldn't something like Normal be more appropriate"? In a previous Pokemon game yes, but remember this gen they're experimenting with being allowed to challenge the Gyms in any order. So what better way to give both the player a challenge or force them to think about exploring the other Gyms than by having the first Gym be a rather powerful Type for early game. As for why Psychic, well, the Academy is there. What Type to better represent an Academy than the brainy Psychic-types? The Gym Leader could be like that year's graduating classes's top honor student, having it be a position which passes down to the next class each year as a school tradition. And yes, technically the Gym doesn't need to be directly connected to the Academy, but I got nothing else to go on so I'm just making the obvious connection.

Pokemon games usually have you travel clockwise, so let's go left to that farming complex. And what a very odd place for what looks to be a farming complex to be, in a canyon/plateau where the only green around is the crops and inside the town. All the better reason for me to think this is a Grass-type Gym, because you need one heck of a green thumb to have a green town in a middle of a wasteland. Also, the battlefield looks to be made of wood and has a viewing platform on top of trees next to it?

Before we go up we must go down... or rather topography wise we are going up cause the next location is that town on top of the cliff. Its another arid area, but even moreso as the greenery looks to be plants adapted for hot climates and the buildings look to be made from stone, possibly even clay. The battlefield is housed under a structure with what looks to be, well, at first I thought it was a sundial but it's not, but even though I now know that I can't get it out of my head. Overall, this location feels like it has a very hot, sunny feeling to it, so I'm saying Fire-type.

We shoot up North, run what is a desert, and arrive to a very blue city built on an oasis. Water-type.

The next visible battlefield is at the very top of the region, the snowy mountain town. Obviously this is Ice-type Gym Leader's Grusha's stomping grounds.

We go quite a way down to the next battlefield which is in what looks to be a quarry. And this is where I take pause. You may have noticed I skipped a building on the other side, a building that's behind Mesagoza and on the side of the center caldera. AquaticPanic suggests this is the Pokemon League due to the battlefield having four colors where others are a singular; I agree with this analysis. In addition, with the battlefield behind the Professor's assumed house, there is precedent for their to be battlefields which aren't Gyms. But, taking this into account, this leaves 7 visible battlefields meaning, if they represent Gyms, we're missing one as they confirmed there was 8 Gyms. But there's something else to consider: We've actually skipped several towns/cities which look to have some notable locations: There's the first town between your house and Mesagoza (though it probably won't have a Gym), near the Oasis City there was a Harbor City with a big building structure in the middle of it, to the right of the Oasis City there's a city with some kind of observatory hanging over the inside of the caldera, and finally to the east of the quarry we're now at there's this big city with a fancy Pokeball-shaped bridge. So, I'm going to make a bold predication here: this quarry battlefield is not a Gym. I predict the remaining two Gyms are in the city with the caldera observatory and the city with the Poke Ball bridge. As for what Types they are, tough call, but I'll say the caldera observatory city's Gym is Ground-type (I'm going to say the observatory is examining seismic activity within the caldera) and the Pokeball bridge city is Steel-type (as it looks like a very modern day city with steel skyscrapers).

That just leaves the final battlefield in the town that's right of Mesagoza (after you cross a canyon): that town with the grassy battlefield on a platform next to a windmill (surrounded by potted Sunflora "statues"). "Well, wouldn't this then be the Grass-type Gym, it even has a hedge maze"? It does, infact the whole town has a rather "playful" feel to it. With the windmill there I was originally going to say Flying-type, but now I'm actually learning more towards Fairy-type for the whimsical air I'm getting from the place.

So, there, my prediction for the Gyms are:
  • Psychic (Mesagoza)
  • Grass (farming complex in the plateau)
  • Fire (arid town on the cliff)
  • Water (oasis city)
  • Ground (city with the caldera observatory)
  • Ice (Grusha's Gym near the town on the snowy mountains)
  • Steel (big city with the Poke Ball bridge)
  • Fairy (town with "whimsy")
Agree? Disagree? What are your guesses? Until the game is out there's (technically) no right or wrong answer (aside Grusha's Gym being Ice-type, that's kind of a give-in).

Tomorrow I'll hopefully have a more indeth analysis on other parts of the maps. Like two thing I noticed that no one has pointed out are: (1) there are "racing flags" in several locations and (2) "lighthouse" looking buildings all around the peninsula; all of them also different colors. Oh, and I also couldn't help but notice the abundance of Pokemon Centers, some cities having two of them on either side of them...

EDIT: Okay, so looking through the Twitter thread that doipy hooves just posted, apparently they have shown a screenshot of a map which seems to indicate where the Gyms are, plus all the Gyms are represented by a few story building with the League's logo on it. AND I WAS RIGHT ON TWO/THREE CASES! The quarry battlefield isn't a Gym, and the caldera observatory city & the Pokeball bridge big city both have Gyms! However, I was wrong in one case: Mesagoza does not have a Gym. Infact, from what it looks like, the snowy mountain has TWO Gyms?

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Clawizer looks like an interesting Terastal user for lower Tiers because it has offensive options that look just as good as Water. Mega Launcher's 1.5x boost makes it so Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse are like secondary STAB moves, so why not boost them more by making them STAB too? There's also Dragon Pulse if you want it for the defense. The downside to not picking Water is you lose Water STAB and going with Tera Water doesn't weaken Drak Pulse or Aura Sphere.

For the sake of asking an interesting question, who seems like terrible users of Terastal? Scizor gaining two weaknesses looks like a pretty annoying problem but it could still work if you really need the resistances to Flying and Rock or if you're going for a sweep and haven't used Terastal yet. I know Forretress should be one of the worst users because it doesn't gain much, if anything, from becoming stronger and loses a lot more than it gains from changing its type. Sableye also looks like it might not be the best because it'd lose out on what makes Dark/Ghost so good. You'd gain weaknesses and lose immunities. Going for Super STAB is a bad idea, but it gives cruel choice in the team builder. You'd have to pick between gaining the weaknesses of a Dark type or a Ghost type. (It's probably not a hard choice though because of Knock Off.) Sableye isn't terrible though. It's a defensive Pokemon that isn't a Steel type that could have fun with gaining Steel's resistances.

Ok, just hear me out on this. The third legendary being the Present one is an obvious prediction, but I think we can get a better idea at what the third legendary will be.
ThirdSVLegendary.jpg

Besides color schemes, the thing that helps this theory is how Koraidon and Miraidon are used as a vehicle. Former just running on all 4s and the latter using jets.

Pokemon games usually have you travel counter-clockwise, so let's go left to that farming complex. And what a very odd place for what looks to be a farming complex to be, in a canyon/plateau where the only green around is the crops and inside the town. All the better reason for me to think this is a Grass-type Gym, because you need one heck of a green thumb to have a green town in a middle of a wasteland. Also, the battlefield looks to be made of wood and has a viewing platform on top of trees next to it?
Do they? Most games are a bunch of interlocking/overlapping circles, but I'd argue a good chunk are clockwise. I'm not getting a map and PS out tonight, but Kanto, Johto, Kalos, and Galar are all pretty clockwise in their progression. Hoenn is the only counter-clockwise one I can think of.
For the sake of asking an interesting question, who seems like terrible users of Terastal? Scizor gaining two weaknesses looks like a pretty annoying problem but it could still work if you really need the resistances to Flying and Rock or if you're going for a sweep and haven't used Terastal yet. I know Forretress should be one of the worst users because it doesn't gain much, if anything, from becoming stronger and loses a lot more than it gains from changing its type. Sableye also looks like it might not be the best because it'd lose out on what makes Dark/Ghost so good. You'd gain weaknesses and lose immunities. Going for Super STAB is a bad idea, but it gives cruel choice in the team builder. You'd have to pick between gaining the weaknesses of a Dark type or a Ghost type. (It's probably not a hard choice though because of Knock Off.) Sableye isn't terrible though. It's a defensive Pokemon that isn't a Steel type that could have fun with gaining Steel's resistances.
Thing is, with Scizor etc, I think there will be a lot of "Set Tera type to Water, run U-Turn/BP/etc, never click Tera unless you have good reason." Yes, in most battles keeping your only weakness as Fire is preferred, but maybe one battle out of 100, you really need Scizor alive, and losing STAB is worth it to escape a counter or dodge a hit.
Sableye, of course, you put it on a team with 5 Dragons, and then go Steel to surprise Clefable when it pops in.

The question is, how valuable does Tera end up being. If it's like Dynamax, where you have 1-2 things that are unstoppable after using it and you always try to Tera one of those two because anything else is a waste, then yeah, we never see Scizor etc pull it. If it's less important, maybe it's more like having Healing Wish on your team. You PLAN on using it for one of your wallbreakers, to overwhelm their counters, but over a day of play you probably hit every member of your team with it at least once.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Do they? Most games are a bunch of interlocking/overlapping circles, but I'd argue a good chunk are clockwise. I'm not getting a map and PS out tonight, but Kanto, Johto, Kalos, and Galar are all pretty clockwise in their progression. Hoenn is the only counter-clockwise one I can think of.
DERP. I meant clockwise (hence me going left and up around). :facepalm:

Ok, just hear me out on this. The third legendary being the Present one is an obvious prediction, but I think we can get a better idea at what the third legendary will be.
View attachment 445640
Besides color schemes, the thing that helps this theory is how Koraidon and Miraidon are used as a vehicle. Former just running on all 4s and the latter using jets.
Past - Koraidon - Stonepunk
Present - ??? - Dieselpunk?
Future - Moraidon -
Cyberpunk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)