Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

One is official news confirmed, meaning there won't be misinfo getting spread around (except through misunderstandings of wordings) while leaks are not confirmed and can be wrong, leading to misinfo.
While this is technically true the leaks have been proven right multiple times with each official news from Nintendo just confirming more and more of the leakers credibility.

Credible leaks and data mines have been talked about here in the past so I'm not sure why suddenly it's out of bounds. If the issue is spoilers just... add spoiler tags lol.

It seems nuts to me to go out of one's way to visit a discussion thread on a fan site for longtime tryhards and demand that everyone else not discuss leaks when the whole point of this kind of thread is speculation.

The trailers are effectively the game being leaked to you anyway and this thing is going to be datamined any week now assuming the leakers aren't really just GameFreak employees. Story leaks I get but shutting down speculation about P*r**** mons and leaked abilities just reeks to me like no one else can have nice things. These are Pokemon games, lol:
You'll catch 6 mons, beat a bunch of trainers, catch a legendary dragon to either save or prevent it from the destroying the region and then you'll become Champion.
It's not speculative fiction. If you are here you've already chosen not to go into the game blind.

I've been here since Shoddy Battle when people were screaming over Garchomp months before DP came out. This kind of thinking is reflective of tendencies that have grown worse here as the community has gotten larger and the age gap between older users and newer ones grows.

Just my .02.

Last edited:
The trailers are effectively the game being leaked to you anyway and this thing is going to be datamined any week now assuming the leakers aren't really just GameFreak employees.
No. Just... No. A leak is an intentional disclosure of something secret or private. A trailer from the develope is not a leak. It's news.

Story leaks I get but shutting down speculation about P*r**** mons and leaked abilities just reeks to me like no one else can have nice things.
Shutting down discussion about an unconfirmed feature is not at all "no one else can have nice things". Leaks are just that: unconfirmed. And I said it already but not everyone is interested in leaks or wants to be spoiled early.

There are places that happily let you discuss leaks and rumors. You're more than welcome to go there. I don't see why a forum simply enforcing their rules is enough to make some people act like it's some big deal.

While this is technically true the leaks have been proven right multiple times with each official news from Nintendo just confirming more and more of the leakers credibility.
Maybe? But that doesn't make them less unconfirmed. You can have the most reliable leaker and still not be 100% trustworthy. And unless it's from the mouth of the developers themselves, it's better not to take it as set in stone fact.

Lots to discuss this time around, and I'm pretty happy.
New confirmations:
- Drowzee, Hypno,
- Bonsly, Sudowoodo,
- Dunsparce,
- Sneasel, Weavile, (Sneasler),
- Teddiursa, Ursaring, (Ursaluna),
- Meditite, Medicham,
- Torkoal,
- Zangoose,
- Tropius,
- Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra,
- Oricorio,
- Komala,
Oricorio and Komala were 2 mons that I was concerned about being in, because they both have clear reasons GF might be concerned about making them work mechanically. If they're in, then I'm much more confident that anything can be brought in, even if it's not an 'important' mon.
The Grass gym leader having a Sudowoodo that he Terastallizes (complete with special dialogue similar to when Galar gym leaders used their Dynamax) implies that all the gym leaders this time around will have an off-type Pokemon as their ace that they'll Terastallize into their type. Which makes me very curious what they're gonna do for Grusha, because I can't think of many non-Ice Pokemon that could pass for an Ice-type. There's Seel, but unless Grusha is a super early gym that's unlikely, and also it doesn't really work if gym leaders are ever fought later with evolved teams. There's Hisiuan Zoroark, but given their track record I doubt Game Freak's gonna have regional variants be native to a region that isn't the one they're named after. I guess Wailord to match Cetitan?
The first question is whether Gym Leader AI is good enough to Tera different mons in response to your team comp. Signs point to no, but it's always possible, and would open up more options. If, however, we accept as given that every gym leader has a pre-set Tera mon, then there's 3 basic uses:
Off-type into their type. While this is funny for, say, Sudowoodo on Grass or Charizard on Dragon, it's the worst option power-wise, so I hope it's kept to the gyms you're expected to hit early.
Super-STAB. The path everyone expected them to take with all gyms. Best for types that stack multipliers(Water, Fire*, etc), has some niche benefits for getting rid of unpleasant secondary types. This still involves an entire team with shared weaknesses, which concerns me, but it makes for good climactic battles, which we know the devs like.
Different type. Now this, this would be interesting. A water gym with a Tera Dragon Gyarados to cover their grass/electric weakness could be a good way to stall a matchup sweep, and would make for a real "OH SHI" moment if you're coasting through thinking it's too easy. This is probably good for late-game gyms, once the player is expected to understand and anticipate Tera surprising them.

*I just pictured a double-battle where Torkoal sets up the sun and then spams Lava Plume into Tera-Fire Flash Fire Life Orb Armarouge. No way they do it, but could you picture running into that in-game and seeing it one-shot a bulky water?
One last thing to mention that I think is kinda cool, the paths all seem to have different battle styles

View attachment 452072

Gyms go for the battle format we're already used to;

View attachment 452074

Team Star has Auto Battles as a form of "First Phase" before you face off against the leader, which then does look like a more usual Pokémon battle but with Lightning McQueen over here affecting the battle somehow;

View attachment 452077

And while not explicitly confirmed, the Titans (who, for what its worth, actually share their title with Totems from Gen 7) also seem to have a different battle style. The way the UI and mons are positioned here reminds me somewhat of the Raids in SwSh, and we do know there are Tera Raids as a new battle style, so that's another way it could stand out from other battles.

It just makes the split paths a lot more interesting since you'll actively be doing different things instead of just fighting different bosses in the same format. Very excited to see how these turn out.
This is looking great for me. I really like them trying new battle styles to see what happens. Raids were a mess, but I enjoyed totem battles a lot and the Legends:Arceus system was at least fun, if not quite balanced. The passive battle seems risky to implement, but the Titan battles should be good if GF have learned anything from their last few attempts.

Other points:
I really enjoy the latest designs. The crab seems like it'll be really fun in-game(I had a lot of fun with Berserk Drampa in a Moon run once), but I expect GF to err on the side of slow and also not give it Rock Polish, so it'll be useless in competitive, tiered alongside Crustle and the like.
The two knights are humanoid designs that don't automatically annoy me, which is interesting. I prefer the Violet option, but barely, which is turning into a theme with this gen.
Hopefully the evil team having different divisions for different types will stop us from running into a million Koffings and Zubats for the bulk of the fights with them, but I'm not holding my breath. Liking the design of everything we've seen associated with them so far.
There's definitely going to be some sort of post-game thing you do that involves 1 expert from each type, isn't there?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gym Leaders will use a mon not of their type as their ace but Terastalize them to make them the Tera-type of the type they specialize in (example: Tera-Grass Sudowoodo by the Grass Gym Leader).
Hm, I wouldn't call the Pokemon they Terastallize their ace because it's not their Type; I would rather a Gym Leader's ace be a Pokemon from that generation that's of their Type Specialty (and don't have to worry about their ace not matching because they don't have thier region's gimmick). Though it's kind of disappointing that is what they're going to have the Gym Leader do with Terastallize (or at least some of them). Like, okay, they can Terastallize a Pokemon which had a Type advantage over one of their weaknesses thus having a Pokemon of their Type Specialty with "coverage" (and I guess have access to the Super STAB of their Type Specialty). But in the end it's still their Type Specialty thus the Pokemon you have that's Super Effective against them is still Super Effective against their Terastallize. I was hoping for some clever tricks like, with the Grass Gym, they turn a Grass-type into a Rock-type. Or maybe program the AI to only do that if the opponent has a Super Effective Pokemon out, and if they don't just Terastallize their normal ace with it's primary Type so that it can get Hyper STAB.

Though that does bring a question to mind: Since we see a Gym Leader using normal Terastallize, does that mean there's no Signature Terastallize? Or is this a "first few Gyms" situation just like how in SwSh they didn't have Milo or Nessa use Gigantamax? And before anyone mention the leaks, just want to point out before the new trailer dropped we talked about something from it and that didn't come into fruition, so I'm just sticking with official stuff.

implies that all the gym leaders this time around will have an off-type Pokemon as their ace that they'll Terastallize into their type. Which makes me very curious what they're gonna do for Grusha, because I can't think of many non-Ice Pokemon that could pass for an Ice-type.
Grusha would be best Terastallizing a Ground-type to being Ice as Ground hits Fire, Rock, & Steel SE. If there was any Ground-type I would try passing off as Ice-type, maybe Steelix? Though I have a feeling Brassius might just be a special case cause the joke of making Sudowoodo an actual Grass-type (along with a pun) is too alluring. So with that in mind, and that Grusha is missing a counter for Fighting-types, I say give him a Gliscor. He can shock us all by having a decently speedy Ice-type!

1662557053013.jpeg

there's also this fella they snuck in behind the player characters
Yeah, both them pretty much showing the engine is a Pokemon (or at least possessing the engine) and not showing the Grass Gym Leader using what I would consider his ace (unless the Smoliv family IS his ace and just early game it makes more sense that Gym Leaders would have their Terastallize take center stage) is kind of strange. Like, Impidimp was a joke cause it was a troll, but I feel this engine Pokemon is going to be with every Team Star squad boss (whether it battles for them we'll see, can see it being a sort of quick mid-boss to keep the player on their toes before facing the squad boss). Then maybe if there's an overall leader for Team Star they would use one as their ace (or its evo or they'll Terastallize it or something).

I love how it uses its own armor to make the cannon

View attachment 451993

Cant wait to see it ingame.
I know everyone is making the joke but this is really giving me Megaman.EXE Fire Soul vibes (would post an image but it's not going through).

But I saw a move called Trailblaze, used by Sudowoodo. Apparently Grass type. What the hell is this ?
Since no where else to really talk about this, I'll mention it now.

When I hear the word "TrailBLAZE", Grass-type isn't exactly the first Type that comes to mind. BUT, to be fair, looking up the definition of Trailblaze (or rather Trailblazer):

1. A pioneer; an innovator.
2. A person who makes a new track through wild country.
So, yeah, technically the term doesn't have anything to do with fire. "But surely there must have been a better term to use"? In the sense of what the Pokemon Move does, certainly. However, consider the Gym Leader who this Move is likely the Signature Move of: Brassius, who seems to be an artist of some kind, possibly of the avant-garde variety. In other words, he's a trend-setter not a trend-follower; in other other words, a "trailblazer". Curious if it has an additional effect, apparently whatever it is GF considered makes sense enough that Sudowoodo can learn it despite being a Grass-type mimic.

According to the french name, it's probably a Grass-type Freeze Dry, effective on Grass.
What is its French name?

And wait, are we sure its Grass-type then? If it's a Freeze Dry clone that's SE on Grass-types, and it's being used by Sudowoodo, could it possibly then be Rock-type? Rock-type Freeze Dry that hits Grass SE makes more sense.

To elaborate further for the non-french-speaking people: the french name of the move is "désherbaffe", a mix of "désherber" (to weed) and "baffe" (slap).
So it's like "Weed Wacker"? Now that sounds more like a Steel-type Move, hmm.

They also released a video about a themed Switch (OLED Model).
Was kind of hoping for another Switch Lite. The right thumbstick on my SwSh-themed Lite is acting wonky (sometimes when I tilt it up it won't have my character go up, its especially noticeable in L:A as my character begins sneaking instead of walking (though when I have them run its fine)). :blobsad:

someone oughta tell gf that x is the blue one and zero is the red one
That's how they ignore the trademark infringement.

the engine mon... its probably steel poison, right?

a steel poison with levitate would be interesting.
Steel/Poison, maybe. But Levitate? Probably not. Assuming its an engine-based Pokemon, Abilities I'm seeing for it would be the likes of Flare Boost & Speed Boost; maybe Filter.

the part of the post i wound up deleting was commenting how i think that the whole state of the champion in the games (where it's both a thing where it seems only one person it can be at a time but also you're never champion but also you are) has been something they've been tweaking since gen 7

Alola: you are the champion, since you're the first, and all other people are title defenses going for you
Galar: There's expressly only one champion at a time, but it's decided every year and Leon is officially not the champion after that. It seems like everything after the "official" title is just exhibition matches

And now here where we just go with the most straight forward: there can be multiple champions at one time because it's just a rank anyone can reach
The implication of the passing around the Champion Title has always been iffy:

Indigo League: You beat the current Champion you get the Champion title. Though it seems like Blue was given the title as soon as he defeated the Elite Four so either Kanto never had a Champion at that point (which I don't know why Lance wouldn't then become de facto Champion and they looked for a new Elite Four member) or the recent Champion had retired leaving the position vacant. Though, even though Red became Champion after beating Blue, when you re-challenge the League Blue says he's Champion again even though he never had to defeat Red. In addition I don't think Lance defeats either Red or Blue to become Champion during Gen II, both seem to abandon the position which Lance finally decides to swoop in and claim as his own (until the player defeats him in which case they become Champion).
Hoenn & Sinnoh League: Steven, Wallace, and Cynthia seem to retain the Champion title in their gen games even after you defeat them. It's not until ORAS where the even hint at the Champion title passing along, in those games Steven loses the Champion title which is reflected in his rematch dialogue and Zinnia mocking him for being the ex-Champion. But it's because of this (and Alder still being the final challenge of the Elite Four despite not being the Champion) I came up with the theory that there's two kinds of Champions: League Champion (which is essentially is a job position) and Champion Title Holder (any who defeats the League Champion gets a title but don't become League Champion until the current one decides to retire).
Unova League: BW1 we have Alder who didn't win the Champion title but rather was given it, a strange circumstance they never go into. But Alder is defeated by N who seemingly takes the title, then N is defeated by the player... and then when you go to have your match against Alder he oddly still refers to himself as the strongest Trainer in Unova even though N defeated him (though I guess N did leave) but you defeated N. Once again, you seemingly get a Champion title, but Alder holds the League Champion job position... until he decides to retire, and with BW1 protag gone to look for N, works with Drayden to achieve Iris's request of wanting to become Champion officially passing the position down to her. And once she keeps the position as League Champion (her rematch dialogue even saying she's still Champion) even though you defeated her.
ON TOP OF THAT, BW2 has the Pokemon World Tournament which Red, Blue, Lance, Steven, Wallace, Cynthia, & Alder all participating holding Champion titles, which I think is the first ever confirmation of multiple trainers from the same region holding title as Champion. Of course doesn't go into any details, though an interesting factoid is that Iris doesn't participate in the PWT cause she has the job of being Unova's League Champion (guess Lance, Wallace, & Cynthia was able to put in vacation time or they had retired being League Champion?).
Kalos League: While in her rematches she no longer refers to herself as Champion, when you battle her in the Battle Chateau she does (and you only can battle her there once you beat the Pokemon League).
Alola League: So, those who completed the Island Challenge are given the title Island Challenge Champion, many whom you meet at the League cause Kukui invited many of them (and I'm guessing the Kahuna and Captains all have also passed their Island Challenge thus are Island Challenge Champions before the creation of the Alola League). Whether they call count as Champion Title Holders is up-to-debate, the first official Alola Champion is the player character (and the game doesn't treat the player losing as canon so by the end of Gen VII there's still been only one Alola Champion).
Galar League: Galar strictly follows the rules of "you become Champion after defeating the Champion". When you beat Leon you become Galar's Champion and accepting challenges as Leon "retires" to running the Battle Tower and then organizing the Galarian Star Tournament. In addition, in the past Opal was Champion and then lost the title to Mustard who then acted as League Champion until he quit. So Galar played it very straight.

Which leads us to the Victory Road story of the Treasure Hunt revealing that there doesn't seem to be a singular Champion but rather if you can beat the Pokemon League you get a "Champion Title" (sorta like my theory). I'll go more into that thought when I talk about Greeta.

That being said, considering their themes, they seem like they've been introduced a generation too late? Wouldn't be surprised if they were in the planning stages for SwSh but scrapped from those games.
Wouldn't be the first, essentially the story of the Shellos family.

Who cares about leaks as long as its not story related? It makes no functional difference if you get it from Gamefreak or Khu.
No, we should still respect the people who want to discuss official info released about Scarlet & Violet but don't want to know about leaks. We shouldn't be talking about the games outside of this thread on other threads, thus this is the only thread we can discuss the games. All that is kingly being requested is that you use spoiler tags. Not sure if there's anywhere freely you can talk about the leaks, maybe somewhere on the Smogon Discord?

There was literally a thread dedicated to leaks and datamines for SM, and one for the Sw/Sh datamines. When did this "no discussion of leaks allowed" rule become a thing? Can we have a separate thread for it, at least? This is a site dedicated to competitive play, and the credible leaks do seem competitively relevant.
Or this, this will probably be for the best.

I am really glad that we’re getting a Special Fire type version of Close Combat. If it was widely distributed, it would be even better since Fire type Special Attackers don’t have to rely on inaccurate moves for a power move.

"Yeah, just, wonderful, for Special Fire-type Pokemon..."

Makes me kind of wonder if Greeta would also focus on one type, rounding of a specialist for each type.
Either Greeta or there's an overall boss of Team Star which is a Type Specialist. I'm kind of leaning toward the latter, I kind of prefer if the "Champion" figure uses a wide variety of Types.

Hm, I wouldn't call the Pokemon they Terastallize their ace because it's not their Type; I would rather a Gym Leader's ace be a Pokemon from that generation that's of their Type Specialty (and don't have to worry about their ace not matching because they don't have thier region's gimmick). Though it's kind of disappointing that is what they're going to have the Gym Leader do with Terastallize (or at least some of them). Like, okay, they can Terastallize a Pokemon which had a Type advantage over one of their weaknesses thus having a Pokemon of their Type Specialty with "coverage" (and I guess have access to the Super STAB of their Type Specialty). But in the end it's still their Type Specialty thus the Pokemon you have that's Super Effective against them is still Super Effective against their Terastallize. I was hoping for some clever tricks like, with the Grass Gym, they turn a Grass-type into a Rock-type. Or maybe program the AI to only do that if the opponent has a Super Effective Pokemon out, and if they don't just Terastallize their normal ace with it's primary Type so that it can get Hyper STAB.

Though that does bring a question to mind: Since we see a Gym Leader using normal Terastallize, does that mean there's no Signature Terastallize? Or is this a "first few Gyms" situation just like how in SwSh they didn't have Milo or Nessa use Gigantamax? And before anyone mention the leaks, just want to point out before the new trailer dropped we talked about something from it and that didn't come into fruition, so I'm just sticking with official stuff.

Grusha would be best Terastallizing a Ground-type to being Ice as Ground hits Fire, Rock, & Steel SE. If there was any Ground-type I would try passing off as Ice-type, maybe Steelix? Though I have a feeling Brassius might just be a special case cause the joke of making Sudowoodo an actual Grass-type (along with a pun) is too alluring. So with that in mind, and that Grusha is missing a counter for Fighting-types, I say give him a Gliscor. He can shock us all by having a decently speedy Ice-type!

Yeah, both them pretty much showing the engine is a Pokemon (or at least possessing the engine) and not showing the Grass Gym Leader using what I would consider his ace (unless the Smoliv family IS his ace and just early game it makes more sense that Gym Leaders would have their Terastallize take center stage) is kind of strange. Like, Impidimp was a joke cause it was a troll, but I feel this engine Pokemon is going to be with every Team Star squad boss (whether it battles for them we'll see, can see it being a sort of quick mid-boss to keep the player on their toes before facing the squad boss). Then maybe if there's an overall leader for Team Star they would use one as their ace (or its evo or they'll Terastallize it or something).

I know everyone is making the joke but this is really giving me Megaman.EXE Fire Soul vibes (would post an image but it's not going through).

When I hear the word "TrailBLAZE", Grass-type isn't exactly the first Type that comes to mind. BUT, to be fair, looking up the definition of Trailblaze (or rather Trailblazer):

So, yeah, technically the term doesn't have anything to do with fire. "But surely there must have been a better term to use"? In the sense of what the Pokemon Move does, certainly. However, consider the Gym Leader who this Move is likely the Signature Move of: Brassius, who seems to be an artist of some kind, possibly of the avant-garde variety. In other words, he's a trend-setter not a trend-follower; in other other words, a "trailblazer". Curious if it has an additional effect, apparently whatever it is GF considered makes sense enough that Sudowoodo can learn it despite being a Grass-type mimic.

What is its French name?

And wait, are we sure its Grass-type then? If it's a Freeze Dry clone that's SE on Grass-types, and it's being used by Sudowoodo, could it possibly then be Rock-type? Rock-type Freeze Dry that hits Grass SE makes more sense.

Was kind of hoping for another Switch Lite. The right thumbstick on my SwSh-themed Lite is acting wonky (sometimes when I tilt it up it won't have my character go up, its especially noticeable in L:A as my character begins sneaking instead of walking (though when I have them run its fine)). :blobsad:

That's how they ignore the trademark infringement.

Steel/Poison, maybe. But Levitate? Probably not. Assuming its an engine-based Pokemon, Abilities I'm seeing for it would be the likes of Flare Boost & Speed Boost; maybe Filter.

The implication of the passing around the Champion Title has always been iffy:

Indigo League: You beat the current Champion you get the Champion title. Though it seems like Blue was given the title as soon as he defeated the Elite Four so either Kanto never had a Champion at that point (which I don't know why Lance wouldn't then become de facto Champion and they looked for a new Elite Four member) or the recent Champion had retired leaving the position vacant. Though, even though Red became Champion after beating Blue, when you re-challenge the League Blue says he's Champion again even though he never had to defeat Red. In addition I don't think Lance defeats either Red or Blue to become Champion during Gen II, both seem to abandon the position which Lance finally decides to swoop in and claim as his own (until the player defeats him in which case they become Champion).
Hoenn & Sinnoh League: Steven, Wallace, and Cynthia seem to retain the Champion title in their gen games even after you defeat them. It's not until ORAS where the even hint at the Champion title passing along, in those games Steven loses the Champion title which is reflected in his rematch dialogue and Zinnia mocking him for being the ex-Champion. But it's because of this (and Alder still being the final challenge of the Elite Four despite not being the Champion) I came up with the theory that there's two kinds of Champions: League Champion (which is essentially is a job position) and Champion Title Holder (any who defeats the League Champion gets a title but don't become League Champion until the current one decides to retire).
Unova League: BW1 we have Alder who didn't win the Champion title but rather was given it, a strange circumstance they never go into. But Alder is defeated by N who seemingly takes the title, then N is defeated by the player... and then when you go to have your match against Alder he oddly still refers to himself as the strongest Trainer in Unova even though N defeated him (though I guess N did leave) but you defeated N. Once again, you seemingly get a Champion title, but Alder holds the League Champion job position... until he decides to retire, and with BW1 protag gone to look for N, works with Drayden to achieve Iris's request of wanting to become Champion officially passing the position down to her. And once she keeps the position as League Champion (her rematch dialogue even saying she's still Champion) even though you defeated her.
ON TOP OF THAT, BW2 has the Pokemon World Tournament which Red, Blue, Lance, Steven, Wallace, Cynthia, & Alder all participating holding Champion titles, which I think is the first ever confirmation of multiple trainers from the same region holding title as Champion. Of course doesn't go into any details, though an interesting factoid is that Iris doesn't participate in the PWT cause she has the job of being Unova's League Champion (guess Lance, Wallace, & Cynthia was able to put in vacation time or they had retired being League Champion?).
Kalos League: While in her rematches she no longer refers to herself as Champion, when you battle her in the Battle Chateau she does (and you only can battle her there once you beat the Pokemon League).
Alola League: So, those who completed the Island Challenge are given the title Island Challenge Champion, many whom you meet at the League cause Kukui invited many of them (and I'm guessing the Kahuna and Captains all have also passed their Island Challenge thus are Island Challenge Champions before the creation of the Alola League). Whether they call count as Champion Title Holders is up-to-debate, the first official Alola Champion is the player character (and the game doesn't treat the player losing as canon so by the end of Gen VII there's still been only one Alola Champion).
Galar League: Galar strictly follows the rules of "you become Champion after defeating the Champion". When you beat Leon you become Galar's Champion and accepting challenges as Leon "retires" to running the Battle Tower and then organizing the Galarian Star Tournament. In addition, in the past Opal was Champion and then lost the title to Mustard who then acted as League Champion until he quit. So Galar played it very straight.

Which leads us to the Victory Road story of the Treasure Hunt revealing that there doesn't seem to be a singular Champion but rather if you can beat the Pokemon League you get a "Champion Title" (sorta like my theory). I'll go more into that thought when I talk about Greeta.

Wouldn't be the first, essentially the story of the Shellos family.

No, we should still respect the people who want to discuss official info released about Scarlet & Violet but don't want to know about leaks. We shouldn't be talking about the games outside of this thread on other threads, thus this is the only thread we can discuss the games. All that is kingly being requested is that you use spoiler tags. Not sure if there's anywhere freely you can talk about the leaks, maybe somewhere on the Smogon Discord?

Or this, this will probably be for the best.

"Yeah, just, wonderful, for Special Fire-type Pokemon..."

Either Greeta or there's an overall boss of Team Star which is a Type Specialist. I'm kind of leaning toward the latter, I kind of prefer if the "Champion" figure uses a wide variety of Types.
Flareon should have its Flare Blitz rights revoked on the account of it being Satan of Pokemon, as well as its other crimes like conspiring with the Dome Fossil, being a Discord Mod, and being the Eeveelution with the least inspired design. Literally just Eevee but “it gets bigger” and is cheeto colored.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
It seems nuts to me to go out of one's way to visit a discussion thread on a fan site for longtime tryhards and demand that everyone else not discuss leaks when the whole point of this kind of thread is speculation.

The trailers are effectively the game being leaked to you anyway and this thing is going to be datamined any week now assuming the leakers aren't really just GameFreak employees. Story leaks I get but shutting down speculation about P*r**** mons and leaked abilities just reeks to me like no one else can have nice things. These are Pokemon games, lol:
You'll catch 6 mons, beat a bunch of trainers, catch a legendary dragon to either save or prevent it from the destroying the region and then you'll become Champion.
It's not speculative fiction. If you are here you've already chosen not to go into the game blind.

I've been here since Shoddy Battle when people were screaming over Garchomp months before DP came out. This kind of thinking is reflective of tendencies that have grown worse here as the community has gotten larger and the age gap between older users and newer ones grows.

Just my .02.
Giving my own two cents on this but you do realize that people not wanting to go into the game blind does not necessarily equal that they want to know everything about the game, right? You try to argue that people following official news don't care about spoilers, but what all is revealed is significantly less content than the stuff that gets leaked given leaks usually cover almost the whole dex. There is no need to treat "person who wants to know absolutely nothing" and "person who wants to know everything possible" as the only existing options as if there is no middle ground. I've personally been in touch with the leaks and one of my main takeaways from it is that people who are going in blind are going to have a blast with some of the ideas they are pulling off just out of how unexpected some stuff is. Trailers handpick information so that there is still surprises left to be had in the game aa opposed to leaks giving you direct info about everything.

The point about "no one else can have nice things" is weird to me because discussing leaks also ruins the fun for people who want to go into the game without knowing leaks. By all means discussing leaks here would also result in some people not having nice things, so this point is completely irrelevant. Also i'm sorry but I genuinely cannot take a "back in my day / these darn kids" argument seriously in this context lol, tech has grown a lot in the past decade so obviously not only there are more things getting leaked but they also more easily spread. And in any case its not like talk like this never happens on Smogon, its just usually reserved for when the game is actually being datamined because its easier to comment on mons when you know for sure their stats/moves/abilitites than when you only know their name (and for most of the leaked mons, not even that, just vague descriptions of their designs)

I honestly feel like the best way out would to be having a specific thread for leaks and keep talk about it there, but I ain't this subforums mod so I can't comment on how efficient or useful that would even be. I just personally think its nicer to give people who want to avoid leaks a place where they can discuss the game safely given leak talk is absolutely everywhere and if people want to discuss leaks they can pretty much find other places to do so very easily

Not yet, now you have to figure how the formes will work and if you'll just find all 4 in the wild or not!
I think that the most lore-friendly solution is to make Baile Style Oricorio the only form available in the wild and have a shop or merchant sell the four nectar items so that the rest of the forms can be obtained. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they just made all four available in different parts of the map. In any case, I'm just glad to see Oricorio return as it's among my favorite Gen 7 Pokémon.

Well, it was super effective against Quaxly, and it had a pretty "grassy" animation, so safe to say it's almost certainly Grass-type. The name does make me think it would be Ground (Bulldoze, Rototiller) or Rock (big Hiker & mountain energy).
I think its pretty dubious to be a Grass-on-Grass Freeze Dry. Conceptually "weed slap" doesn't really stand out to me against Vine Whip, Branch Poke, Leaf Blade, etc. You could just as easily be slapping with weeds. Though that could be pretty cool (great for my Torterra).
Pioneer, Forerunner, Precursor... maybe a priority attack? :smogthink:
Edit: Less like Grassy Glide, more along the lines of First Impression?

It took me all day to pinpoint what Klawf reminded me of... the eye stalks made me think of Crablante. Hope our little crab buddy doesn't encounter any caped baldies.

View attachment 452144View attachment 452145
For some reason when I look at Klawf my mind screams Ganimies, probably cause giant crab with fuzz and has a titan form.
If it has some relation with drednaw then Ima flip.
View attachment 452146
Wow a Crab Pokemon looks like a Crab.
I really don’t see it besides the Crab looking like a Crab, but Klawf’s mechanical look reminds me of Crabmeat from Sonic.
48846C13-0934-4BE8-AB04-4DBD9223A244.png

Klawf being so fuzzy also reminds me of Crab Louse.

Conceptually "weed slap" doesn't really stand out to me against Vine Whip, Branch Poke, Leaf Blade, etc. You could just as easily be slapping with weeds.
I have to reiterate that "désherber" is french for the verb to weed, like plucking weeds out of the ground. "Slapping with weeds" isn't an accurate translation of the french name at all; it's more like "weeding slap", which has a totally opposite connotation and expressivelly make it sound anti-grass.

EDIT:
Moreover the english name "trailblaze" doesn't sound like a grass-move (despite knowing it is one thanks to supereffectiveness). However it does keep the anti-grass connotation:
-The wear caused by repeated passage on a trail removes grass; this is how natural trails form.
- According to the wikipedia article, "blaze" in trailblaze refered to slashes made on trees.
EDIT 2: correcting some mistakes.

Last edited:
Maybe? But that doesn't make them less unconfirmed. You can have the most reliable leaker and still not be 100% trustworthy. And unless it's from the mouth of the developers themselves, it's better not to take it as set in stone fact.
Everything revealed today has been previously clearly mentioned by the leakers, including the unannounced but shown engine Pokémon. It seems like you haven't been paying attention to leaks, because if you have then you'd know the leaks have been established as credible for weeks now.

Now it's possible that they just got lucky, but if they're getting "lucky" with 100% consistency over and over at some point you have to accept that it isn't just luck.

In addition leaks have been discussed here before, but for some reason not this gen? This is a competitive forum centered around the game mechanics of a child's slave rancher simulator. It's completely reasonable to expect people to be able to discuss competitively relevant leaks regardless of what's officially revealed. If someone wants to "go in blind" they can just avoid the spoiler threads.

I have to reiterate that "désherber" is french for the verb to weed, like plucking weeds out of the ground. "Slapping with weeds" isn't an accurate translation of the french name at all; it's more like "weeding slap", which has a totally opposite connotation and expressivelly make it sound anti-grass.
I stand corrected. What do the other localizations have to offer? I see Bulbapedia doesn't even have many up atm. Not even Japanese. If we get more I'm sure the picture will become clearer.

Everything revealed today has been previously clearly mentioned by the leakers, including the unannounced but shown engine Pokémon. It seems like you haven't been paying attention to leaks, because if you have then you'd know the leaks have been established as credible for weeks now.
I do stay up to date with leaks. I don't mind the spoilers. But I understand others do and they don't want major spoilers which leaks entail. Some people want to experience games the way the devs intended it. It's really not a big deal if you can't discuss leaks here.

Furthermore, you seemed to have missed my point. No matter how accurate a leaker has been prior, until officially confirmed by the developers, it still remains at best "rumors/leaks", because at the end of the day: anyone is capable of being wrong, or lying for attention, or anything. And this does happen with leakers.

This is a competitive forum centered around the game mechanics of a child's slave rancher simulator.
Gonna be real, but these sorts of remarks don't help your point and just come off as comically petty. It doesn't matter what the game is. Respect other people in the forum yeah? It's not that hard to find a place where people don't mind being spoiled and talking there.

We go through this same song and dance every gen. Can we skip to the part where the mods come in and tell everyone to knock it off before opening a leak thread?

There was literally a thread dedicated to leaks and datamines for SM, and one for the Sw/Sh datamines. When did this "no discussion of leaks allowed" rule become a thing? Can we have a separate thread for it, at least? This is a site dedicated to competitive play, and the credible leaks do seem competitively relevant.
Always. Datamined information and shops breaking store dates are leaks we can have 100% certainty on. No matter how many times Ku or Kaka say stuff, anything there is subject to change, if its true to begin with. and even then, major warnings from the mods were given out beforehand. Its been several gens people, you know the drill by now.

Last edited:
Is Khu even really a leaker? His “leaks” are so vague that they don’t really mean anything and are “Khuanon” tier stupid. Any leaks where he isn’t vague is just him piggybacking off of other leaks like Hisiu Goodra.

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor

What is its French name?

I mean to be fair, a Freeze Dry can be of the same type as what it hits SE. There's no rule against it lmao. Just that we only ever had one Freeze Dry before.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

"On October 8 (Sat.) and 9 (Sun.), the pre-submission-only event "Nintendo Live 2022" will be held!
There will be a stage looking back on the history of Pokémon games, exhibitions, and more, so be sure to pay attention!
Entries for the general admission lottery are being accepted until 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 15!
Click here for details!"

Wonder if anything might show up here hm

Also it would be a crime if Magmortar doesn't also get Armor Cannon since its got those Cannon arms.
For the longest time, I had always treated Magmortar as just objectively having Searing Shot. I knew very well that it could never learn the move by any means, but then what was it going to shoot out of its arms, Flame Burst? Not only that, but exclusive moves tend to get taught to other Pokémon one or two generations later (notable examples include Darkest Lariat Zarude and Mystical Fire on a bunch of Fairy-types), so there might be hope for the future...? :smogthink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)