Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

But don't get your hopes up
View attachment 453075
Hold on, how do you beat round 2 with only rentals. Is it impossible to complete these games?

I understand that home compatability here would be really complex but much of this game's functionality was based on connecting to an actual game cartridge. Gift Pokémon, game boy tower, oaks lab and so on just flat out don't work without a game attached.

Last edited:
I understand that home compatability here would be really complex but much of this game's functionality was based on connecting to an actual game cartridge. Gift Pokémon, game boy tower, oaks lab and so on just flat out don't work without a game attached.
I have no idea, but since these games have speedruns and the rule is "rentaly only", it's definitely possible, just probably very painful.

You can definitely beat Round 2 with rentals, it just involves a mix of extra luck and more knowledge of what to do with what you have

I get that connectivity between the Stadium VC releases and the VC RBY/GSC or Home would be difficult, but Game Boy Tower was a thing. They could have built the GB games into Stadium, let you play through/save there, and then transfer from there to the main Stadium battles.

It's a completely silly way to accomplish the goal, but honestly seems more technically feasible than a 2-way Home link or whatever.

I get that connectivity between the Stadium VC releases and the VC RBY/GSC or Home would be difficult, but Game Boy Tower was a thing. They could have built the GB games into Stadium, let you play through/save there, and then transfer from there to the main Stadium battles.

It's a completely silly way to accomplish the goal, but honestly seems more technically feasible than a 2-way Home link or whatever.
there was no chance in hell they were ever going to do that

you'll pay an extra $20 for GB VC per year when they're ready for you to

They could have released RBY / GSC roms with the game for free and allowed Pokémon to be sent to Home, even if only one way (like original VC RBY).

Of course that would have been extra work. As the Pokémon company learned long ago it's easier to just cut features and move on. This shit sells no matter what.

Do want to point out that these are not being sold separately, they're just being dumped on top of the rest of NSO's Expansion Pass offerings so probably half the decisions related to this at least fall onto Nintendo in general.

My glib comment about extra for GB games aside, realistically if they add GB & GBC games and also the Pokemon titles, they'll probably land in either the cheaper NSO or the Expansion Pass so we're at a net "no difference" by the end between "bundling" the games in now (reminder: these games aren't actually coming until some undetermined point during 2023) and not

This shit sells no matter what.
What, the expansion pass that I'm still not going to buy even PS1/2 if it featured compatibility with RBY / GSC? The NSO Expansion Pack has a host of other issues beyond PS1/2 compatibility that need to be ironed out before I would personally consider buying it.

Pokemon fans when ROMs they pay a subscription for don’t even have the main feature of the original games.
Because I don't trust text tone, I agree gutting the connectivity neuters the actual content Stadium was built on.

I was being half-facetious because as a kid I legitimately got bored of battling way faster than the Minigame mode, so it does hilariously not impact my preference despite objectively being worse for the game.

Second story is titled "Path of Legends"
So how exactly are these stories going to work? Does the first story unlock the "end game", where we have access to all items, abilities (like being able to merge different forms) and features?

Or must we finish all of the separate story branches to get everything? Are they ordered or can you tackle them in any order?

Kind of wondering if this is like past games where you had the main story, after that a few hours of going to an extra island. Or if these stores are all equal in length, and unlocking all of the game features requires completion of all 3.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
So how exactly are these stories going to work? Does the first story unlock the "end game", where we have access to all items, abilities (like being able to merge different forms) and features?

Or must we finish all of the separate story branches to get everything? Are they ordered or can you tackle them in any order?

Kind of wondering if this is like past games where you had the main story, after that a few hours of going to an extra island. Or if these stores are all equal in length, and unlocking all of the game features requires completion of all 3.
From what its been promoted so far, they made it pretty clear that there's no set order. You'll probably only need to do the obligatory pokémon game tutorial but after that you can progress any of the 3 stories in any order (And I'm assuming that to beat the game, you'd need to finish all 3 stories and then there'd be a final climax or something)

I imagine that what they intend you to do is to not necessarily focus on one story but rather progress all 3 of them at once as you go exploring the map

There is also the implication (though, still somewhat unconfirmed) that the various "story battles" are meant to be "unleveled". So far in all the scenes shown where a gym battle is happening, the pokemon level was not showing.

Obviously we do not know how this would work nor if it's even the case, but since they did already experiment with some sort of "level scaling" during SwSh, I don't exclude that they refined the system for SV.

There is also the implication (though, still somewhat unconfirmed) that the various "story battles" are meant to be "unleveled". So far in all the scenes shown where a gym battle is happening, the pokemon level was not showing.

Obviously we do not know how this would work nor if it's even the case, but since they did already experiment with some sort of "level scaling" during SwSh, I don't exclude that they refined the system for SV.
There's definitely something going on with the bosses
Leaders & Titans seem to be doing something different (no levels get displayd) while Team Star's boss battles seem to have set levels (but at the same time has the auto battles before it and there's probably something weird going on as an extra gimmick in the boss speifically)

The simplest theory I have is that the Leader Battles would be using the kind of level-equalization that's employed for Battle Facilities and a lot of PVP. This could lend itself to not having a strict linear order or progression to the League by making the battles primarily about your team comp: You can't out-level them as you might in past-gens to runover with one Starter, so battles come down to preparing the right moveset and a team with some synergy or prep for particular members.

This more than hard EXP grind would be your reason to put off rushing between gyms, going out to get new Team Members or find TR's or Items etc. to prep your team, while also averting an issue I see even in games I like (such as Xenoblade 1) where if you explore or do most of the sidequests as they become available rather than in sessions/after the story section, you overlevel and run over a lot of fights without a demand to learn mechanics or strategy.

Obviously the execution is optimism on my part, but it's a simple enough approach to the open-world vibe they're going for and is simple to approach in terms of mechanics they'd have to change or add compared to previous games.

The in-universe explanation would be curious, but conceptually the Team Star bosses gel with this approach since they're delinquents at the school and so presumably won't play fair or by that equalized ruleset (even more "honorable" members might elect to test you instead of hold back)

The simplest theory I have is that the Leader Battles would be using the kind of level-equalization that's employed for Battle Facilities and a lot of PVP.
That'd probably not work out as well as one'd think.

While "equalize stats to lvl 50" would in theory work, there is the moveset/evolution issue. A level 50 Charizard with Fire Blast would still trash on a level 50 Bulbasaur after all.

I would assume...or....hope they actually are opting for something a bit deeper with also scaled movesets (they actually did this in Isle of Armor) and scaled evolutions (which they didn't instead).

Well if they pull this one at least for once I'll be proud of them.

While "equalize stats to lvl 50" would in theory work, there is the moveset/evolution issue. A level 50 Charizard with Fire Blast would still trash on a level 50 Bulbasaur after all.

I would assume...or....hope they actually are opting for something a bit deeper with also scaled movesets (they actually did this in Isle of Armor) and scaled evolutions (which they didn't instead).

I am more willing to bet there's just level equalizing in the background
You can attempt Gusha with your Fuecoco and it will get leveled up (or...down, i guess) to match, but you still have to deal with being a Fuecoco going against a Cetitan

At that point the appeal is "you can attempt it, but you still have to deal with the leader's moveset. Now, what will you do to combat it?" (Also the movesets didnt scale in IOA).
If you want to overcome it then you can dig around for different team members or find some TMs or Items to make it better, or maybe level up a little but not a lot (or maybe you overlevel for moves, who cares)

In fairness, some of the harder games at least are no stranger to giving fully evolved or decent single-stage Pokemon even to some early Gym Leaders (Misty's Starmie, Morty's Gengar, Gardneia's Roserade and Fantina's Mismagius in Pt, to name a few). Nothing is stopping that from being revisited for them in SV's gym challenege, especially if the non-linear and Wild-Area structure potential might allow the player access to Fully Evolved Pokemon without huge waits themselves (be it capture or things like Raid EXP Candy payouts from SwSh).

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
That does remind me - PLA made a few changes to the damage formula, and among them was the fact that level scales stats a lot less, meaning lower leveled mons can still go up against overlevved mons pretty decently. Now, this could just be a Legends thing as that game basically rewrote how battles work, but I think that with an open world title like this, it could apply here as well. You as a developper won't have to worry about a player sequence breaking and getting a lvl 40 before the first gym if you make it so being lvl 40 doesn't completely trivialize battles against lvl 20s.

(Plus personally I think its just a generally good change to the damage formula. People have been complaining for ages about how you can just overlevel a mon to get through the game or how the exp share leaves you overlevveled. Reworking *how much* level affects damage is a great way to work around this)

In which case, another way that they could dogym progress is through stats. Every totem in Gen 7 was EV trained, so I can maybe see them doing something like making the first gym you face have less optimal stats and add more EVs/IVs as you gain more badges. Most players don't really bother controlling how their mons gain EVs, much less getting good IVs for an in-game team, so this could be a fun way to give the gyms an advantage over the player. I'd usually not be so optimistic but BDSP delivered us a lot of competitive stat spreads, so I can kinda see SV doing the same for late game trainers. Would be pretty funny for Little Timmy to try being a smartass by leaving the earliest gym for last, only to get destroyed by a fully EVd lvl 20 Sudowoodo

I'd like it if I never saw the LA damage formula again
The way it flattened out everything sucked. The game feel was bad, it made some of the effort worthless, and it made the battles feel like any action was met with kind of a shrug. It was only tolerable in LA because battles were discouraged. Even in equal levels it had knock on effects because of how it used the stats in the equation. Never before has every battle felt like both too much and too little at the same time.

Just equalizing the levels would be fine here I think

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
Yeah to clarify myself, I meant only the change to how much levels affect damage should be in SV. Everything else about the legends formua feels pretty tied to its own different turn system and the fact most battles are vs hordes of mons so idt it'd ever apply to another mainline title. Just that the leveling thing feels more tied to "Its an open world title where the player can sequence break evry easily" than to "its a different turn style with a different amount of mons facing eachother as usual so we need a different formula"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)