Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Was really hoping the BDSP news would be transfer compatibility. Oh well...

Nothing grabs me yet about gen 9. Which is admittedly to be expected with the first trailer. They basically would have needed to have gone with completely alien landscapes and or/inorganic starters. As much as magnemite looks better, graphics was not why I skipped most of gen 8.

>2022 Gen 9
DADDY NO

>It's open world, uses Legends Arceus battle presentation and has significantly improved graphics
DADDY YES

>Region is seemingly based on Spain/Portugal, more specifically Iberian Peninsula
Please break the western europe curse please break the western europe curse please break the western europe curse

god i'm such a pathetic pokeshill
so DADDY MAYBE?

My biggest concern with the games is the crunch. In a best case scenario Gen 8 was kind of a "dump gen" of sorts while most of the effort was being put into Gen 9 which i wouldnt blame them for because galar is based on br*tain. The game does look pretty solid graphically (minus some minor frame drops here and there), but we don't know if the devs were forced to work in sweatshop like conditions to get this thing out by the end of the year. I do hope that they delay it, but it's highly unlikely. This could be me being a mixture of me being a bit vindictive and paranoid but I kinda hope Game Freak gets investigated for crunch. Given Japan's work culture and the admittedly flimsy reason however it's highly unlikely.
The starters are definitely a lot more solid than Gen 8's, at least going off of the base forms. They're not the best we've gotten, but far from the worst. My biggest concern with them is Sprigatito becoming a waifumon. It's not that I dislike feminine mons per se (see my love for Delphox, Diancie, Primarina, Tapu Lele, etc.), but after the surge of them we got in Gens 7 and 8 it's gotten old, especially after all three of the Galarian final starter evos turned out to be furbait. I'll probably go with Fuecoco because of how adorably derpy he looks, but we'll have to wait and see what the evos look like.

Anyway have a stupid meme in light of the news that Dexit will be a thing:
9k hours.PNG

maybe the european-based regions having dex cuts is meant to be social commentary on the racism/colonialism of european countries?

Nice that the site already confirmed home compatibility with SV despite not giving us any eta about BDSP/PLA compatibility. Also glad that H-Zoroark specifically was highlighted, though I expected the Hisui mons and forms to be in the next traditional game.

Also surprised that SV will be full open world after PLA's limiting to open area. Although I don't necessarily expect you'll be able to do things quite in any order you want, hopefully it opens up a lot of options for getting mons you want a lot sooner if you're willing to go out of your way for them.

And unsurprisingly, not all mons will be available. Hoping that I'll eventually be able to get my signature ghost teams in game, but we shall see.

Choice Specs Heracross

Banned deucer.
Man if it is the Iberian Pennisula (+ Portugal) and not just Spain I’m gonna feel sorry for any Portuguese fans, everyone outside of Europe (Except for Brazil) already confuses the two and this is gonna Make it even worse lol. Imagine a Pokemon Legends based in the Early Modern Old World. You’d have most of Pokeberia at war with Galar (Spanish Armada) meanwhile the other part is Its oldest official ally.

Ah yes, the crocodile has always been my favorite Eastern zodiac animal.

The English website is up and says
The Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet games, the newest chapters in the Pokémon series, are coming to Nintendo Switch later this year. With these new titles, the Pokémon series takes a new evolutionary step, allowing you to explore freely in a richly expressed open world.

Various towns blend seamlessly into the wilderness with no borders. You’ll be able to see the Pokémon of this region in the skies, in the seas, in the forests, on the streets—all over! You’ll be able to experience the true joy of the Pokémon series—battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them—now in an open-world game that players of any age can enjoy.
It seems being a BotW-like "open world" is one of the main selling points. The starters are all single typed, so no Water/Flying Quaxly for you.

that footage looked like it was going to fall apart at any moment, which is not inspiring.

if it's truly full open world I might pass entirely? I was already on the fence about Legends Arceus, but it seemed like a "smaller" one of those and then revealed it was more zone-based, so I was willing to give it a shot.

I, even after LA, still don't trust GameFreak to make an open world title. Going from that immediately (or, concurrently, to be more accurate) to Big Huge Open World is ridiculous. They truly learn nothing

the apple crocodile is cute, though. I wonder what direction THAT will go in, it's fairly off brand for a fire type.

Well, my predictions were completely wrong.

I like these starters a lot, first gen in a while where I could pick any of the three. That said, I am really worried about the release schedule. SwSh was late 2019, IoA and CT were 2020, Snap was 2021, BDSP were late 2021, PLA was start of 2022, SV is going to be late 2022. That seems...excessive. I know some of them were farmed out to other studios, but that's a LOT of releases in a short time.

I...was really hoping that they'd announce a new remake of a spin-off title, instead of going straight to Generation 9.
It just seems like it's way too soon for a new mainline game!
I can see that the graphics have improved a bit, but I think a lot of us would prefer they take their time on a game like this...

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I literally wanted one thing and it was HOME compatibility
Oh well...

That aside I fully believe this was too early for a new generation, when nothing changed in the Switch landscape (meaning this will probably be a SwSh like game, probably more akin to the DLC2 stuff) and the franchise EASILY being able to float on the PL:A hype train for a good while (alongside the 21234023 spinoff active games we have)
Also I really don't like the starters I legit thought they were fakemons... Croc looks half an Applin....

I am cautiously optimistic for this. I did enjoy legends quite a lot and I’m one of the few who like sword and shield although I do admit they are heavily flawed. Graphics look alright and let’s face it you never go to Pokémon four best graphics of the system – that’s been the case ever since red and blue. On the start is the grass one is my favourite now I also like the other two.

Choice Specs Heracross

Banned deucer.
Seems kinda Strange that the default outfits Look Like school uniforms Unless you start in some kind of school Like FF8 or something. Still customisation HAS to be in regardless (I dont say that with a lot of confidence sadly)

My sister and myself have a traditional post News chat and my initial response to the whole thing was me still being butthurt about Dexit (Saying gen 8 is officially bad coz it dont have all the Pokemon before calming Down and saying Axew as a cat, Waddle Dee as an Apple and aww ducky (I love all 3 btw)

Ok, so....Pokemon Presents:

- idc about any mobile game nor BDSP sorry

- L:A free update yessir, downloading rn. The number of trainer battles after all is done wasn't a problem to me but it's nice people who liked more are getting it. Also that double Dialga Palkia Origin fight looks like it's coming for revenge for how I trashed their boss fights, I'm scared now lol.

- FUCK YEAH LET'S GO!!! ANIMATED ADAPTATION OF LEGENDS ARCEUS YESSIR! Pokemon has been lately excelling in their shorts (Twilight Wings, Evolutions, Poketoons) so I'm very excited.

- And...Gen 9 confirmed...for........2022........
Eclipse_Lake_-_093.png

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Cautiously optimistic about this. I do hope some of Legends: Arceus‘s better aspects like the seamless battle transition which seemed to be the case. But I’m not surprised that Dexit is still a thing, and going open world is quite a jump even after going with Legends: Arceus segmented-open world route.

My only big concerns as of now is what new battle gimmick might be this time, and if it would be distinct from what came before or if it’s just some generic power-up that might ended up being a Dynamax repeat.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
STEP ASIDE EVERYONE I have a theory

2F84497D-B8BD-498F-A559-B6B07C4538C2.jpeg
8CE0FDB0-7C7E-4E19-A212-11D98FD83269.jpeg

So the marketing for the game is making a big deal about the open world, and how you can “explore freely in a richly expressed open world” where “Various towns blend seamlessly into the wilderness with no borders.” Note that big tall building with the spirals and the big Pokémon on the front.

My theory is that city is in the center of the region and its the first city you go to. That Pokeball building is the Pokémon League- the Elite Four. See all those tiles? There’s one for each type. I think you’ll need to collect some “badge” for each of the 18 types. Or maybe 8 of the 18 types, with the player getting to chose from which ones they want to challenge. The direction of the tiles generally points in the direction of where you can get each badge.

seems almost a little too cool for GF to do.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like the open world concept, but I hope the traditional pokemon battling system is present still, unlike PLA.
In what regard? Like we're obviously going back to the more "structured" battling system as the games will be taking place in the present. However I do wonder if the Styles (Strong & Agile) will be brought over or that'll be kept to PLA. On one hand they give us a little bit of way of modifying moves which we hadn't had before and will bring a bit more critical thinking into battles. On the otherhand that'll likely have to redo some of it as letting a Pokemon get to do two moves in a row can become very broken (not to mention competitive players probably would hate it and, if they do give the option to turn it off, official tourneys except special ones will probably keep it off). Thinking it over, maybe PLA should keep the Styles.

I just want them to keep the presentation of battles tbh. I made a quick mention/joke in my original post, but I'll be more serious now, they BETTER bring over physical moves making contact (or at least looking like) they make contact. Say what you want about the graphics, but the attack animations, special effects, and sound of the moves felt very satisfying in PLA and, if anything is kept over, that should be one of them. Oh, and also more dynamic idol animations which PLA also had. Like you got a good thing going with PLA GF, don't screw it up!

Oh, I wasn't expecting Spain. Stills a game based on a north hemisphere country, but it's nice to see some latin culture on the Pokemon world. Would be cooler if it was based on a Latin America country, but I understand why they didn't.
Just because it's not based on Latin America doesn't mean there won't be some Latin American influences. :bloblul: Remember GF likes to sometimes squish certain aspects of other similar cultures into a region's main culture to both give those cultures some spotlight as well as make the region feel more than just a copy & paste of the country its based on.
Oof, looks a bit better when they were running around, but I didn't realize BOTH the male and female playable character were wearing the same clothes. Surprise surpirse, the girl looks okay, but the boy looks like a dweeb. Are these school uniforms? Is this possibly hint at some of the story, as aside from a quick trip to the Trainer School the player (as well as the rivals) hasn't really been show to attend any form of education. Closest was Cheren who wore what looked to be a school uniform but at the same time could also just be causal geek chic. Would be interesting starting the game with the player attending a few classes and maybe even having to occasionally go to classes.

Though hopefully they aren't too strict with school uniforms as I'm definitely changing my clothes asap.

It's been confirmed the Dex is limited. So going forward the Limited Dex is indeed going to be the standard (with possible DLC bringing in some more but likely not all Pokemon). I'll give credit to GF for sticking to their decision, gives a bit more credence that the cuts were done as a time/cost-saving decision rather then them wasting so much space making duplicate models of the Pokemon. Though that does bring to question what the "super" mechanic of this game is going to be...

if it's truly full open world I might pass entirely? I was already on the fence about Legends Arceus, but it seemed like a "smaller" one of those and then revealed it was more zone-based, so I was willing to give it a shot.

I, even after LA, still don't trust GameFreak to make an open world title. Going from that immediately (or, concurrently, to be more accurate) to Big Huge Open World is ridiculous. They truly learn nothing
If it's like previous gens then I feel "open world" may be a bit of an overstatement. Like I can see them making the map seamless and having large areas to explore... BUT that doesn't mean there aren't paths and walls (either physical or invisible) that isn't going to direct you where you're supposed to go and when the story wants you to be there. Maybe you can visit certain locations early, but the story will require you to be at certain places so the only reason to go beyond is to get certain Pokemon you'd normally find later. Basically I don't see GF straying too much, just giving you a bit more freedom with letting you go to future locations to have some fun but better be home by storyline time.

I don’t believe this has been posted, but the outfits the MCs vary depending on game, Violet’s Outfits:
Interesting, guess these make the boy look a bit better (though these do feel a bit more bland, and why is Violet's so purple while Scarlet's look more naturally with just splashes of red)? Once again, changing out of these asap.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
STEP ASIDE EVERYONE I have a theory

View attachment 409784View attachment 409785

So the marketing for the game is making a big deal about the open world, and how you can “explore freely in a richly expressed open world” where “Various towns blend seamlessly into the wilderness with no borders.” Note that big tall building with the spirals and the big Pokémon on the front.

My theory is that city is in the center of the region and its the first city you go to. That Pokeball building is the Pokémon League- the Elite Four. See all those tiles? There’s one for each type. I think you’ll need to collect some “badge” for each of the 18 types. Or maybe 8 of the 18 types, with the player getting to chose from which ones they want to challenge. The direction of the tiles generally points in the direction of where you can get each badge.

seems almost a little too cool for GF to do.
If they actually pulled this off it would be an insane redemption from that one SWSH prerelease interview where the outlet fucked up and said there would be 18 gyms due to bogus translation

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah some people on the OI Discord, including myself, have been theorizing that Scarlet and Violet's story and adventure may involve the player character being a student in a school, with the region's Professor being a teacher of some sorts.

If this game is truly open world, then I could totally see school life being an integral part of the adventure with quests and exploration being a key part of it like it was with PLA, since PLA was about you being in an expedition team and exploring and doing quests under the command of the team, this time a similar approach may happen, except you are a part of a school as a student and teachers and classmates may give you quests to perform while exploring the Gen 9 region.

It's certainly a very interesting possibility if that's the case.

So I'm very optimistic about SV so far. The region looks pretty. Textures like Magnemite and Seviper are definitely improved. Love all three starters but I've loved all three starters since Kalos. And based on the descriptions I expect Fuecoco to be slow and bulky and Sprigatito to be fast and strong. Quaxley I'm less sure overall. As for Final typings I could see their final typings being Grass/Dark or Grass/Fairy; Fire/Ground or Fire/ Poison; and either Water/Flying or Water/Fighting

Does anyone know the significance of the police officer in the trailer? It was weirdly dramatic for absolutely no reason. I thought it would have something to do with detective Pikachu or something. Maybe it will make sense once we get more trailers.

Overall, I'm rather neutral about the trailer. I really like the starters, and I'm excited to see how they combine the classic Pokemon gameplay with open world elements, but I do have to point out how bad the visuals look. I'm usually willing to overlook mediocre graphics, but some of the footage in the trailer was just painful. Those windmills were particularly worrying to me. I really think we can expect better in 2022. I would have been really excited if the games had an extra year of development, but that's not going to happen of course.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Mind if I join in the conversation?

What can I say about Scarlet & Violet so far? Well, it looks much better graphically than anything Gen 8 had to offer, that’s for sure. Just because I (and many others) had Gen 9 as a lock for 2023 doesn’t mean the game will be inherently bad, either. Given the circumstances, two games for 2022 actually makes perfect sense. The last time we saw two games in a year was in 2004 which also had a January title in the form of FireRed & LeafGreen.

I feel like as rushed as 2022 might seem on paper, there’s more to the story this time than there was in 2019. Game Freak did technically take the gap year to work on Gen 9 again, unlike the sequence where they had games from 2016 to 2018 with no outsourcing or whatever you wanna call it. The seeming “lack” of proper Legends DLC also gives them more time to work on Gen 9 once that project was done. We have little way of knowing when Scarlet & Violet started being developed, but the way I see things, we’re looking at a straight upgrade from what was Sword & Shield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)