Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

I saw some folks on the previous page talking about the names being split between being based purely on Spanish words (Fuecoco), partially on Spanish words (Sprigatito) and apparently not at all (Quaxly) and it got me thinking a little bit about the potential themes and ideas about what the starters may evolve into! Bear in mind I have no clue whatsoever about Spanish history, mythology or lore, in fact a fair good chunk of this I learnt from other folks speculating, but here we go!

I reckon Quaxly is going to have the theme of some sort of seafarer, which would explain why its name doesn't derive from any Spanish words - because they're either not originally from the region, or the theme that they travel so much doesn't pin them to any particular location. By seafarer you could go anywhere with it - a pirate, an admiral, an explorer? Spain had plenty of all of those from what I understand. I don't know what typing I'd give it - Water/Flying would be the boring choice, Water/Fighting would be pretty cool since we've not a Water starter with that typing yet (Samurott should've been a Water/Fighting type) and Water/Dark would make sense if you went the pirate route, albeit another mildly boring choice since Greninja already exists.

Sprigatito is based on partial Spanish - gatito refers to a kitten or a young male cat I believe? - which has me thinking it'll evolve either into a lion or an Iberian lynx! Iberian lynxes are a native to the Iberian Peninsula, which is the area the game appears to be set within (with Spain and Portugal) and Sprigatito looks relatively similar to a lynx as well (it's the tufts on the side of its head I think)? The combo of Spain/Portugal may explain why Sprigatito is only partially Spanish, although you'd think the sprig part would be a Portuguese word, so it's a flimsy explanation I suppose! The lion thing is because there's one on the Spanish coat of arms, and royalty usually were related by blood to other countries (hence explaining the partial Spanish yet again!). Typing wise I'm not too sure on, maybe Grass/Fairy or Grass/Psychic? I'd go with Grass/Psychic for this one, since lynxes have a small link to the supernatural and powers like clairvoyance.

Fuecoco is based on pure Spanish, so I think its theme will be similar. You could go with either the mythology thing (I don't know much about it though, but people have discussed various ideas which could work out?) or you could go with the food theme - the pepper concept seems quite cool? The spiciness is meant to be poisonous so you could do a Fire/Poison basilisk type, or Fire/Ghost since ghost peppers are a thing. You could run Fire/Fairy or Fire/Dragon for the mythology theme which could be interesting as well! I'm not too well-versed beyond that but that's just my thoughts.

As for the rest of the game, it looks pretty good! Open world seems interesting for a main series title, the areas look gorgeous so far and I think as time goes on they're going to reveal some really cool things. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
https://i.4cdn.org/vp/1646690341482.jpg
https://i.4cdn.org/vp/1646690307019.jpg

Images are too large for Smogon, open em in a separate tab. You feelin' real? Or feelin' fake?
Hmmm I'm going to say fake because the draw distance between Fuecoco and the drum crab boyo is way too small. The one in-battle screenshot we have that I could find (Lucario vs Hisuian Zoroark) has the two mons standing at a reasonable distance apart from each other. Also the levels for each of the mons appear to be in different fonts so yeah. I like the look of that drum crab's design though!

The fact that there's not much in the background as reference reminds me of that Dragon/Bug fakemon leak that fooled everyone, so it gets a sussy/10 from me.
Plot twist: They were made by the same person :psysly:

Sprigatito is based on partial Spanish - gatito refers to a kitten or a young male cat I believe?
In spanish, male names are used both to identify the individual and the species (there are exceptions). So, when we say "tengo un gato" (i've a cat), or "tengo un perro" (i've a dog), we can be refering to the species of the animal instead of our own individual pet, which can be male or female. You can, and we do, be more specific and say "tengo una gata", implying it is female, but saying "gato", even if it is female, is not only correct but also common.

It's more prevalent in its plural version, because in spanish we have something called "masculino genérico", that means that in almost all cases, we use the male version in plural forms to refer to both, male and female. So if you have 2 cats, one of them male and one of them female, you could say "tengo un gato y una gata", but you could also say (and this is what happens 99.9% of the time due to a phenomena that occurs in every single language, and that is economía del lenguaje) "tengo dos gatos" (i've two cats).

Because Sprigatito is refering to the Pokémon especies and not the individual, that "gatito" can be used for both male or female.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I looked at the list of types for fun to figure out which ones were the least likely to be the Stater's Final types and it only took me a few seconds to rule out Bug. Normal would also be a very disappointing addition because it's almost not a type and Ice is very unlikely for Fire or Grass. I also can't see Dragon working for anyone other than the Fire starter, (Unless they go with Male Ducks being called Drakes) but other than that, I could see most types for most starters.

Plot twist: They were made by the same person :psysly:
The Bug/Dragon was made just to see if they could make a convincing fake in a day, so it wouldn't be much of a plot twist if they did it again for fun.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alright then, how about something a bit more tangible than leaks
1646706834459.png

This Spanish post about SV refers to the default look as a "uniform" rather than the more casual "ropa". I'm pretty sure most figured that it wasn't exactly casual clothing with the coat of arms and everything but this more or less seals it. Thanks to AquaticPanic for discovering this and pointing it out

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
https://i.4cdn.org/vp/1646690341482.jpg
https://i.4cdn.org/vp/1646690307019.jpg

Images are too large for Smogon, open em in a separate tab. You feelin' real? Or feelin' fake?
For now I'm going with fake solely because of the camera angle. If we are to assume the battle screen is more like in Legends where you canw alk around and control the camera in battle, it feels odd to not have the player visible at all and have the "slow pan on the opponent" camera angle here. A shame though because that genie lamp scorpion looks sick

On an unrelated note, there has been a movement on getting Portuguese translation for these games (And a big one at that - even Serebii has been vocal about their support on this cause). Pokémon did a tweet today about thegame and

1646698346125.png

Yikes. hoping this is just some bot detection error cause if not, its kind of a really sad thing to be forcefully censoring

For now I'm going with fake solely because of the camera angle. If we are to assume the battle screen is more like in Legends where you can walk around and control the camera in battle, it feels odd to not have the player visible at all and have the "slow pan on the opponent" camera angle here. A shame though because that genie lamp scorpion looks sick
Just because the battles now take place in the overworld doesn't mean you'll necessarily be able to walk around during them like in PLA.

EDIT: The scorpion's name appears to be "アラクジン" so something along the lines of Arakujin. Which seems to work too well in English to be a Japanese name, so probably fake.

EDIT: The scorpion's name appears to be "アラクジン" so something along the lines of Arakujin. Which seems to work too well in English to be a Japanese name, so probably fake.

... You'd think, after all that effort, they'd look up the actual Japanese word for "Arachnid" instead of going for the lazy pseudo-Japanese "Arakunidu."

The shadows are far too detailed to be possible on underpowered Switch hardware. It's obviously a fake (but admittedly well-made) render created with Blender or Maya or some other software.

The shadows are far too detailed to be possible on underpowered Switch hardware. It's obviously a fake (but admittedly well-made) render created with Blender or Maya or some other software.
I wouldn't really talk of "possible on underpowered Switch hardware".
Remember the Switch has produced actual amazing graphics like Xenoblade 2 or Shin Megami Tensei V.

Sure, it's at the cost of FPS and/or load times usually, but the Switch is capable of accurate shadowing and actually good graphics.
4chan calls everything fake, including real things.
To be fair, that's also the best approach.

"Everything fake until proven real" is always the best approach when it comes to leaks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)