Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

I'm not bothering to fact-check this, but apparently this is the list of confirmed Pokemon for now:

so off my awful memory, so far the only confirmed "missing pokemon" are the Florges and Ampharos lines, right?
Show we consider counterparts like Zangoose and Dragalge soft confirmed, what and see like with Whismicott being in base SwSh and Lilligant showing up in Isle of Armor, or don't consider like with Hisuian Braviary and Lilligant?
the presence of <Regional form of present pokemon> is pretty much guaranteed, I wouldn't however consider guaranteed the "rival pokemon" presence. I believe there are cases in SwSh and Arceus of one being present and not the other.

Show we consider counterparts like Zangoose and Dragalge soft confirmed, what and see like with Whismicott being in base SwSh and Lilligant showing up in Isle of Armor, or don't consider like with Hisuian Braviary and Lilligant?
Although Zangoose probably is in because that pair is DEFINED by their rivalry, it's probably best to wait & see. Sometimes they break counterparts.

I do think normal Zorua & Zoroark are in, though; Hisuian Zoroark is shown as part of their Home announcement which feels very "this is the only way to get it) like how you could onyl get Alolan Meowth through Home originally.

Seems weird that Dexit is still a thing, especially when the vast majority of Pokémon have appeared on the Switch. They have all the models and animations which they reuse between games. Even if they do additional texture work I find it hard to believe that the world's most profitable franchise can't find the resources to do this, or at least outsource it.

Is the purpose to make people buy more games? To make them feel distinct from each other? To pad eventual DLC with low effort content?

I just don't understand. Dexit was obviously unpopular. There's no good reason to keep it.

Last edited:
Seems weird that Dexit is still a thing, especially when the vast majority of Pokémon have appeared on the Switch. They have all the models and animations which they reuse between games. Even

Is the purpose to make people buy more games? To make them feel distinct from each other?

I just don't understand. Dexit was obviously unpopular. There's no good reason to keep it.
Probably is just what will continue going forward. It gives some Pokemon more screen time. And it reduces overall work so the other parts can be improved more.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Seems weird that Dexit is still a thing, especially when the vast majority of Pokémon have appeared on the Switch. They have all the models and animations which they reuse between games. Even

Is the purpose to make people buy more games? To make them feel distinct from each other?

In legends and SV mons are being retextured and given more animations (more idles, better sleep animations, battle stances, etc). Wouldn't be surprised if most of legends dex is in this game but pokemon that appear in swsh/bdsp would need to be updated. Just look at stonjourner's textures in swsh compared to SV's

In legends and SV mons are being retextured and given more animations (more idles, better sleep animations, battle stances, etc). Wouldn't be surprised if most of legends dex is in this game but pokemon that appear in swsh/bdsp would need to be updated. Just look at stonjourner's textures in swsh compared to SV's
textures need to be updated for every pokemon in every game (even BDSp's are different iirc). I imagine that's a process largely handled through various algorithms

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

We went over it in a separate topic, but reason is, full portability is not good programming, and it should have never been a thing in first place.
There is a reason for which Digimon and similar collectible franchise

Sticking with Dexit means they don't have to do all the work at once on next console jump, pretty much.

Love the new legendaries of pokemon racism and pokemon tesla

On a more serious note: god the humans in this game are ugly. Idk why they abandoned the old style this one looks awful when compared to the pokemon.

The new pokemon are whatever. Shit names (no, it referencing lechon does not make lechonk less of cringe worthy name), boring designs, but they all look like designed for merchandise, so i'll wait on the ones actually designed to be pokemon

I didn't watch the Direct since it started just as I quit working for the day, and seeing how much we have to do at the moment, going home earlier did not feel like a good idea. Besides, I didn't really feel like watching the direct either, just watching the trailer and reading the new info afterwards is enough. I am also annoyed at how it seems like they tend to reveal new things on Wednesdays, I don't have much free time on Wednesdays it is my busiest day of the week... until the summer, at least. Managed to squeeze in this during the little free time I have today at least.

Anyway, some short thoughts for the time being.

There were three things I wanted to see from the news today:
- Some more new Pokémon
- A release date
- The game covers and cover legends

And this new direct/trailer gave me all of these things! So I'm happy about that.

Some short thoughts on the things that were shown in the trailer:
- Version exclusive professors, did not expect that. Both of them look fine to me, I don't like either of them better than the other.
- Sprigatito is still the cutest.
- Nemona. All of my yes. One thing I have been thinking about that I really wanted to see in Pokémon is a main rival/friend who is a girl. Previously, the main rivals have either always been boys, the opposite of the gender you are playing as, or their gender has been version exclusive (Klara/Avery). But now, it seems like we finally have a main rival who's a girl and that is really great. Her hairstyle is a banger too.
- The new Pokémon look weird as always. Their designs feel very simple. I guess Pawmi will be the Pikaclone of this generation. I did not expect a pig, so Lechonk was a surprise. Smoliv looks a bit like a sad version of Hoppip.
- Playing together with friends is cool but not something I will be able to do as I don't have NSO nor anyone near me who also plays the games.
- It seems like your Pokémon can follow you, or that they can at least be outside of their Poké Balls? I hope it is well executed or that it can be turned off. Or both.
- Looks like there are many kinds of environments in the region, which is nice.
- More returning old Pokémon, neat. Feels weird that Chewtle and Coalossal are about to become "old" Pokémon now. Also, Venonat. As I saw someone else point out, it is the first time it appears in a regional dex outside of Kanto/Johto. The Venonat line is literally the only Kanto Pokémon which I am okay with getting some extra spotlight, so this is cool. And if they can give Venomoth a new form or whatever to make another boring and forgettable Kanto more interesting, then that's also nice.
- The cover legends were definitely not what I expected. Spontaneously, I like Violet's cover legend better than Scarlet's. This has made me unsure about which version to get. I was previously mostly interested in Scarlet but now I'm not sure anymore. It is very different compared to last time where I was all for Sword/Zacian from the beginning to the end. So I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to think about it for a bit. Both are still pretty cool though...
- Also, the covers. I was expecting them to just do the usual boring thing and feature the cover legend and nothing else which is a bit of a shame as it is a step back from the greatness of L:A. A bit disappointing, but I wasn't really expecting anything else tbh.

There's also the release date, which I made a prediction for in a previous post here:
While we're at it, I want to post my prediction for the release date: November 18th. If I’m wrong, I will change my avatar to Autumn Blaze and keep it for 33 days. Or I might do that even if I’m right.
And I got it right! Though it isn't exactly impressive since it was a very safe bet. It means I won't need to change my avatar... though I still think I will, just not to Autumn Blaze. I have another idea for an avatar which I'll use instead.

I think I will wait a month or two before I stop looking at new info about the games. Going into Sword 80-90% blind was a great decision and I am definitely going to do the same thing here. And since the fandom is sadly still terrible at handling spoilers for upcoming games, I won't have any other choice than to go on a semi-hiatus from the forums during the last pre-release months.

Overall, I am definitely more hyped for the games now. I still wish they had waited until next year with the release... but whatever! It will be fun to play through one of the games once they are out.

This was all I had time for today, will read through other posts and maybe post some more thoughts whenever I can find the time for it... hopefully tomorrow.

Funny enough, in english they are both called upon spanish words, but in spanish, while professor turo maintains his name, sada is changed to Albora. Albora comes from Albor (dawn) and its plural form, "albores", is a common way of introducing the phrase "since the dawn of time" > "en/desde los albores de los tiempos", reflecting the past.

- It seems like your Pokémon can follow you, or that they can at least be outside of their Poké Balls? I hope it is well executed or that it can be turned off. Or both.
To be fair the following pokemon were done pretty well in Armor/Tundra.
Sure there's the issue of some not having the real dimension but really that is more a gameplay limitation than a design problem (then again, there were actual properly scaled Wailords in the sea), but the following animations were cute, watching the actually slow pokemon struggle to catch up was hilarious too.
EDIT: Also, Fire, Ground, and Grass (?) gyms confirmed?
I'd be extremely surprised if Fire Grass and Water gyms don't show in any given game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)